WMP Subtitles When Playing A File

When I Play an MPEG file is some of my other Media Players, sunch as BlazeDVD
5.1, subtitles are shown when I play the file.  However, when I play the file
in WMP 11.0, the subtitles are not shown.  I know the subtitles are in the
video stream because they show up in other players but why not WMP?

Are you supposed to be able to turn the subtitles off and on? I have read on
other forums that the subtitles are embedded in the video.  But, how can that
be? In one player they show up and another they don't.

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:09:01 -0800, Ray
<Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I Play an MPEG file is some of my other Media Players, sunch as BlazeDVD
>5.1, subtitles are shown when I play the file.  However, when I play the file
>in WMP 11.0, the subtitles are not shown.  I know the subtitles are in the
>video stream because they show up in other players but why not WMP?
>
>Are you supposed to be able to turn the subtitles off and on? I have read on
>other forums that the subtitles are embedded in the video.  But, how can that
>be? In one player they show up and another they don't.

Sometimes subitles are a stream of text captions - data - in other
cases they are a sequence of still images of text (overlays) and there
are distinctions in the way they're decoded and displayed

Most DVDs have the second type - pictures of text, so you might want
to get a DVD decoder which supports subtitles - this is supposed to be
mandatory for deaf acccessibility.

First off, did you actually switch on Subtitles in the player ?

That option is under the Play menu -> Lyrics, Captions and Subtitles -
choose "On if available" and see if that helps.

Your MPEG file might come with the second type of subtitles, which
means you need a decoder to display them. DirectVobSub is one typical
decoder which plays back subtitles in a range of formats in WMP :
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/DirectVobSub.htm

Usually that'll find subtitles embedded in a VOB file off a DVD

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Digital Media MVP : 2004-2009
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpfaqs
0
Neil

DPM 2010 Beta1
Is the backup option of encrypted files already implemented? All the backuped folders are empty; in DPM2007SP1 this works fine. Regards! Raffael Raffael, Can you please check if the encrypted files are sparse or reparse or case sensitive? These are unsupported file types. http://blogs.technet.com/askcore/archive/2008/05/29/data-protection-manager-what-is-a-consistency-check-and-what-could-cause-it-to-fail.aspx Thanks, GeethaKrishna [MSFT] ** As is provided without warranties and confers no rights ** "Raffael Kozerski" wrote: > Is the backup option o...

associate files with activex
hi (a bit offtopic) but i search a way how to associate filetypes with an activex control that launches automatically with internet explorer. if anybody has an idea... thanks in advance thomas ...

Credit Card on file
We are using GP 9.0 and in SOP we are entering the credit card payments for each invoice. I was curious to see if there was any way to keep a credit card on file for all of our customers. I know you can enter one on the customer card but what if they have a separate Visa, MC or AMEX that they use randomly. Any input on this or direction would be appreciated. I would think it would be a useful tool to have in GP or is it a 3rd party product. Thanks ...

Open File Dialog to fileter multiple file types at once...?
Hello, Here is another quick one for you all. The solution is probably simple, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I have the following code: CFileDialog OpenDlg(TRUE, NULL, NULL, OFN_ALLOWMULTISELECT | OFN_HIDEREADONLY, ""); // Later must set this to retrieve a value from the registry OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir = "c:\\"; OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrFilter = "txt Files\0*.txt\0Doc Files\0*.doc\0"; OpenDlg.DoModal(); I am trying to get the box to filter out everything but the *.doc and the *.txt files ... I have seen some boxes that have something that...

WMP and jscript
How can I, using jscript, retrieve the name of the data-stream or file that WMP is playing at the moment? My goal is to post the name in a specialized text log, which will have have "xxxx is playing at mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss" entries for each time a sample is taken from WMP. If this can't be done in jscript, perhaps vbscript? Or some other "batch" language? Your thoughts appreciated! Thanks. ....Charlie You can do this using the WMP Object Model, which is documented at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd564679%28VS.85%29.aspx The sections regardi...

Can't Download mpvs.org Host file
WinXP w/SP3 & IE8. Have not had this problem before, trying to download current Host file but getting Security Alert window saying that "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded". I turned off Windows Firewall, Avast, Spy Bot, AdAware and reduced all the security setting to the minimum in "Tools/Internet Options/Security tab. Same results! Any ideas as to how I can get around this problem? pqt2 wrote: > WinXP w/SP3 & IE8. > > Have not had this problem before, trying to download cur...

Send and File
Our company is switching from Lotus to Outlook 2003 for our corporate Email and a question has been raised. In Lotus there is a "Send and File" so you can place your sent message to a personal folder at send time.....Is there a way to do this short of copying it over from the Sent folder on a note by note basis? Thanks, Bob I use this in outlook 2003 http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm "BobAvy" <BobAvy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB6B71D2-F37B-4108-8090-739E1CEE3F6B@microsoft.com... > Our company is switching from Lotus...

Re: combine multiple excel file in to one excel file and multiple worksheet
I am wanting to use the following code to combine worksheets from multiple files. However I would like to be able to select folder which contains files in a more automated way that having to change the code every time, and also copy all worksheets with links and formulas removed. Any help on this is greatly appreciated as I have limited code knowledge. Option Explicit > Sub Copy_them() > > Dim TargetWkbk As Workbook > Dim mrgWkbk As Workbook > > Dim i As Long > Dim Wks As Worksheet > Dim fName As String > > Application.ScreenUpdating = F...

Movie info in WMP
I use WMP 11 to stream movies from my PC to the XBox 360 on my TV. Movies that stream from Netflix, Zune, etc. have an area that provides a description of the movie, actors, etc. I also rip DVD's from my home collection to a media library on my PC and stream those to the XBox. Videos being streamed from my home PC also have an area for a description of the movie, but it is obviously blank. I would like to be able to add info here so that it is available when browsing through these movies, but have not been able to figure out how to add any such information. One suggestion w...

Install of Great Plain 9 client locks up when adding cnk files
Hello, Currently rolling out a GP9 package. On some of our Win2000 workstations, the client install hangs up when it is trying to add in the cnk files. The workstations are up to dat with all patches and service packs. It reads the file, the progress indicator bar scroll across, then the machine is totally locked up. I am trying this logged in as the administrator. The machines have Office 2000, Acrobat and Symantec Antivirus10. Tried it with shutting down the antivirus, no joy, still hangs. I have tried copying the files from another succesfully installed workstation, and it did run....

purblisher file format for newsletters
I created a newsletter in publisher now I want to send it out via email. What format should I save it in to retain look and so they can view and print? Is there a suggested format? Robert, You only need to post once. Your posts were only three minutes apart and although I'm rather obsessive about checking, even *I* need a little longer than that. :-) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Robert" <robert.mone@usa.xerox.com> wrote in message news:88d701c49615$45c22ed0$a501280a@phx.gbl... >I created a newsletter in publisher now I want to send it > out...

Convert excel file to flat text file
How can I convert an excel file to a flat text file with no decimals, commas, slashes or dashes Try using File > Save As... > Formatted Text (Space delimited)(*.prn) If any unwanted characters show up in the .prn file, use Notepad or Wordpad to remove them -- Gary's Student "Lannutslp" wrote: > How can I convert an excel file to a flat text file with no decimals, commas, > slashes or dashes Lannutslp, To add to that, changing the column widths will change how many spaces are included between cells (horizontally). Using a non-proportional font, like Couri...

Updating PST file to 2007 Format
Hi all, I'm running Outlook 2007 and looking at my PST file that's been coming forward since Office 2000 it shows that the PST file is a 97-2002 mode file. Is there any way to upgrade the PST file to the latest format? And maybe more to the point is there any advantage to doing so? Everything seems to work fine, other than the slowness of the file (it's about 130megs) and I'm hoping moving up to the latest format might help performance? +++ Rick --- File->New->Outlook Data File->Personal folders file. This will be in = the new unicode format that allows st...

Move indexes to a new file group
Any one knows the best way to move indexes to a diferent filegroup? I have a 700GB dataware house type database , some very large tales and indexes on them. ...

pdf file margins bigger than publisher 2007 file
When I convert my Publisher 2007 file to PDF, the margins are wider than in the Pub file. Why? And how do I get around this? I have used this same template in the past, and when I've had it professionally printed, the margins come out the way I want them, though there is some variation from printer to printer. Thanks. ...

Using excel to Determine if a File Exists in SharePoint
I'm trying to find some code that will check if a file exists in SharePoint. I've looked on the web for a bit; coming up empty here. The regular Dir() doesn't seem to work, or I'm not using it right. Does anyone know how to do this? If so, please share your code. Thanks so much! Ryan--- -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. Were my code snippets posted to your earlier thread on this same topic not helpful? If you had trouble with them, please post your current code and where you got stuc...

Bad Restore Files
When i restore files only restore files from the last month (May) but the emails from june don't appears!!! I tried view all pst files that i found in my pc but i don't find anything. How did you restore and where from? Was your backup current? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "edward" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:214f701c45a72$722e8740$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When i restore files only restore files from th...

File | Save As Options
Some time ago, I did something - sorry, but I have no recollection what I did, to add certain folders to the vertical "Save In" band which runs down the left side of the File | SaveAs dialog box. The added folders are those in which I frequently save Excel files. The same folders appear in the corresponding situation in Word, but not in Outlook Express So, the question is, how did I do it? -- PT Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:56:33 -0700 from PT <xyz@xyz.com>: > Some time ago, I did something - sorry, but I have no recollection what I > did, to add certain folders to t...

Cannot play MP4 (H.264) properly
Hi, When playing .Mp4 extensions that's encoded with H.264, there seems to be problems in that playback is choppy in WMP 12 Windoes 7. However, when played in Quicktime or Real Player, etc, there seems to be no problem. Quicktime is also installed. What happened? ...

Table of Contents for Files
Does anyone know of a way to populate a column with the names of files that exist in a folder? I would like to use this to create a table of contents for folders. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi! "eggman4 >", Open "Notepad" and Select next-vbs-code, and Copy it , then Paste it to new notepad file, then save-as any name with extension of .vbs ( For example ListupFolderInXLS.vbs ) and make shortcut onto the Desktop.... *** After making this code file with ,vbs extention You can use it anytime you want. 1. you select any folder, 2. and dr...

Converting JPG files to VSD files?
Three questions; 1. Is there a simple way to convert JPG files to Viso? 2. Or is there a way to scale them to a Viso drawing? 3. If 1-2 can't be done what if I was to draw lines on top of the imported jpg floor plan layout using it as a guide then save that as a vsd file? Thanks Bud jpgs are bit oriented and cannot be converted to visio. you might consider inserting your image into a background page and then create your drawing on an associated foreground page (using page setup). I'd probably use the building plan templates because of the dimensioning stencils to validate tha...

Updating information in 1 file when it is added to other files
I have 9 Spreadsheets consisting of contact information for publications in different industries. 8 Industries and 1 Master List. I would like to link the master list to all of the individual industry lists so that when I add or update a new contact in an Industry list, it is reflected in the Master Spreadsheet as well. Essentially, I want to cut down on duplicating my efforts. Check out the copy paste merge examples... http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "Kyle" wrote: > I have 9 Spreadsheets consisting of contact information f...

Openning a pdf file
I recently received an E-Mail with a pdf file attachment. When I try to open it, I get a dialog box telling me "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an Association in the Set Association Control Panel". I am using Microsoft Office 2007 Outlook and I do not see any "Set Association Control Panel". I do have Adobe Reader 9 installed but that does not seem to be the answer. Can I get some direction on this one? Many thanks! Gene L. On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:41:34 -0500, "Gene L." <elieve@tampabay.rr.com> wrote: &g...

Saving Input of Userform as a new line of data on another file?
Hi, Wonder if anyone can help me? I have create a form, and want to b able to save the info to another file(A) after I have click on button. Upon my next click, the new info from my form will be save as new entry (the next line) in file A. Thank you -- peppe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pepper's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1635 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27737 hi, it might be better to 1 button the whole thing. put the new record on the next line then copy...

File Size in Money 2005
I am using Money 2004 and bought 2005. After I converted I noticed many issues. I called Microsoft and they stated that my file was too large 23 MB. I have been using Money since 1997. They told me to go back to 2004 and archive my data to get it below 10 MB. Then the conversion should come out better. I have not archived before and was wondering what all the disconnects will be when I archive. Does it change the balances in investment accounts if it can't find the checking account? Thanks in advance for your input. Don't archive. Too much pain. Precious little, if any...