Slow video response in CE 6.0

Working on some GUI code, based on drawing bitmaps and text on the
screen (so no standard windows widgets), I am facing the following
problem. Using the same code on CE 5.0 the screen transition is smooth.
When switching to CE 6.0 screen updates take a considerable amount of
time longer and I notice the screen title is drawn before the rest.

This is due to an invalidate being called after the title draw and
before the rest of the screen, but on CE 5 (and on mfc win32), this
update happens so fast, that the invalidate and full redraw can't be seen.

Any idea what might be going on ?
0
ShredZ

CE 6 no longer uses slot based process management and some of the systems
(mostly earlier ARM based platform) suffer performance impact.
Which CPU do you use?

"ShredZ" <stefans@removethis-waegener.com> wrote in message
> Working on some GUI code, based on drawing bitmaps and text on the screen
> (so no standard windows widgets), I am facing the following problem. Using
> the same code on CE 5.0 the screen transition is smooth. When switching to
> CE 6.0 screen updates take a considerable amount of time longer and I
> notice the screen title is drawn before the rest.
>
> This is due to an invalidate being called after the title draw and before
> the rest of the screen, but on CE 5 (and on mfc win32), this update
> happens so fast, that the invalidate and full redraw can't be seen.
>
> Any idea what might be going on ?

0
KMOS
6/14/2010 6:21:14 PM
It's an AMD GEODE LX800 500MHz CPU. Not exactly an early ARM cpu.

I tried compiling against the standard ce 5.0 sdk (which runs on the
ce6) and the result is the same.

On 14/06/2010 20:21, KMOS wrote:
> CE 6 no longer uses slot based process management and some of the
> systems (mostly earlier ARM based platform) suffer performance impact.
> Which CPU do you use?
>
> "ShredZ" <stefans@removethis-waegener.com> wrote in message
>> Working on some GUI code, based on drawing bitmaps and text on the
>> screen (so no standard windows widgets), I am facing the following
>> problem. Using the same code on CE 5.0 the screen transition is
>> smooth. When switching to CE 6.0 screen updates take a considerable
>> amount of time longer and I notice the screen title is drawn before
>> the rest.
>>
>> This is due to an invalidate being called after the title draw and
>> before the rest of the screen, but on CE 5 (and on mfc win32), this
>> update happens so fast, that the invalidate and full redraw can't be
>> seen.
>>
>> Any idea what might be going on ?

0
ShredZ
6/15/2010 7:46:24 AM
On another note, I also see the address bar appears a split second
before the rest of the standard windows explorer on the ce 6.

Can I find some other lxvideo driver somewhere maybe ?

On 14/06/2010 20:21, KMOS wrote:
> CE 6 no longer uses slot based process management and some of the
> systems (mostly earlier ARM based platform) suffer performance impact.
> Which CPU do you use?
>
> "ShredZ" <stefans@removethis-waegener.com> wrote in message
>> Working on some GUI code, based on drawing bitmaps and text on the
>> screen (so no standard windows widgets), I am facing the following
>> problem. Using the same code on CE 5.0 the screen transition is
>> smooth. When switching to CE 6.0 screen updates take a considerable
>> amount of time longer and I notice the screen title is drawn before
>> the rest.
>>
>> This is due to an invalidate being called after the title draw and
>> before the rest of the screen, but on CE 5 (and on mfc win32), this
>> update happens so fast, that the invalidate and full redraw can't be
>> seen.
>>
>> Any idea what might be going on ?

0
ShredZ
6/15/2010 7:47:34 AM
Do you have full control to the platform (rebuild, modify BSP and etc)?
The first thing you may want to do is run some benchmark (CETK should
provide so) to measure the GDI performance between CE 5 and 6.
Also display driver usually play a key role, try to do a BLT profiling or
even downgrade to flat ddi (non-accleratated), change BPP setting,
resolution may give you more idea.

> On another note, I also see the address bar appears a split second before
> the rest of the standard windows explorer on the ce 6.
>
> Can I find some other lxvideo driver somewhere maybe ?
>
> On 14/06/2010 20:21, KMOS wrote:
>> CE 6 no longer uses slot based process management and some of the
>> systems (mostly earlier ARM based platform) suffer performance impact.
>> Which CPU do you use?
>>
>> "ShredZ" <stefans@removethis-waegener.com> wrote in message
>>> Working on some GUI code, based on drawing bitmaps and text on the
>>> screen (so no standard windows widgets), I am facing the following
>>> problem. Using the same code on CE 5.0 the screen transition is
>>> smooth. When switching to CE 6.0 screen updates take a considerable
>>> amount of time longer and I notice the screen title is drawn before
>>> the rest.
>>>
>>> This is due to an invalidate being called after the title draw and
>>> before the rest of the screen, but on CE 5 (and on mfc win32), this
>>> update happens so fast, that the invalidate and full redraw can't be
>>> seen.
>>>
>>> Any idea what might be going on ?

0
KMOS
6/15/2010 11:51:14 PM
I ran a benchmark app I quickly made myself that swaps 2 bitmaps on an
area on the screen for 50000 times. There was a 15 second difference in
favor of CE 6.0. So no problem with the video driver as I first thought.

I then re-examined the code. It changes the text on a CWnd (MFC project)
and calls Invalidate(true) on it, then draws the rest of the screen.
Somehow the rest of the screen only got drawn noticeably after the
invalidate call on ce 6. I added a PostMessage(WM_PAINT) after the
invalidate call and the whole screen gets updated on ce 6 as well now.
Must be some difference in the way gdi operates between ce5 and 6 I guess.

How can I check if I'm actually using flat ddi or accelerated drivers on
either versions ? (I have full platform control to both and use custom
built versions of both os'es to suit the project's needs).

On 16/06/2010 1:51, KMOS wrote:
> Do you have full control to the platform (rebuild, modify BSP and etc)?
> The first thing you may want to do is run some benchmark (CETK should
> provide so) to measure the GDI performance between CE 5 and 6.
> Also display driver usually play a key role, try to do a BLT profiling
> or even downgrade to flat ddi (non-accleratated), change BPP setting,
> resolution may give you more idea.
>
> "ShredZ" <stefans@removethis-waegener.com> wrote in message
>> On another note, I also see the address bar appears a split second
>> before the rest of the standard windows explorer on the ce 6.
>>
>> Can I find some other lxvideo driver somewhere maybe ?
>>
>> On 14/06/2010 20:21, KMOS wrote:
>>> CE 6 no longer uses slot based process management and some of the
>>> systems (mostly earlier ARM based platform) suffer performance impact.
>>> Which CPU do you use?
>>>
>>> "ShredZ" <stefans@removethis-waegener.com> wrote in message

0
ShredZ
6/16/2010 3:01:48 PM
The easy way is to check the driver name in BIB file (usually platform.bib)
or open "Modules" window in your PB (or "gi mod" in CE target control if you
prefer command line)
if you are using ddi_flat.dll, it's the flat ddi, otherwise you may get some
display controller relative driver name.

>I ran a benchmark app I quickly made myself that swaps 2 bitmaps on an area
>on the screen for 50000 times. There was a 15 second difference in favor of
>CE 6.0. So no problem with the video driver as I first thought.
>
> I then re-examined the code. It changes the text on a CWnd (MFC project)
> and calls Invalidate(true) on it, then draws the rest of the screen.
> Somehow the rest of the screen only got drawn noticeably after the
> invalidate call on ce 6. I added a PostMessage(WM_PAINT) after the
> invalidate call and the whole screen gets updated on ce 6 as well now.
> Must be some difference in the way gdi operates between ce5 and 6 I guess.
>
> How can I check if I'm actually using flat ddi or accelerated drivers on
> either versions ? (I have full platform control to both and use custom
> built versions of both os'es to suit the project's needs).
>
> On 16/06/2010 1:51, KMOS wrote:
>> Do you have full control to the platform (rebuild, modify BSP and etc)?
>> The first thing you may want to do is run some benchmark (CETK should
>> provide so) to measure the GDI performance between CE 5 and 6.
>> Also display driver usually play a key role, try to do a BLT profiling
>> or even downgrade to flat ddi (non-accleratated), change BPP setting,
>> resolution may give you more idea.
>>
>> "ShredZ" <stefans@removethis-waegener.com> wrote in message
>>> On another note, I also see the address bar appears a split second
>>> before the rest of the standard windows explorer on the ce 6.
>>>
>>> Can I find some other lxvideo driver somewhere maybe ?

0
KMOS
6/16/2010 7:02:30 PM
SZ- [Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:01:48 +0200]:
 > I added a PostMessage(WM_PAINT) after the

Why not UpdateWindow() after the invalidate?  That can lead
to a deadlock if done from another thread.

--
 40th Floor - Software  @  http://40th.com/
  PhantasmX3 - The finest sound in the world
On 17 June, 01:21, h...@40th.com () wrote:
> SZ- [Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:01:48 +0200]:
> =A0> I added a PostMessage(WM_PAINT) after the
>
> Why not UpdateWindow() after the invalidate? =A0That can lead
> to a deadlock if done from another thread.
>
> --
> =A040th Floor - Software =A0@ =A0http://40th.com/
> =A0 PhantasmX3 - The finest sound in the world
> =A0 =A0CastleKeeper - network camera surveillance/recorder, NVR

Sounds like you need to profile what is taking the time in your
system , you can use the kernel tools to grab all threads/processes
and print kernel/user times to identify if you have threads using
unncessary time which is impacting on your UI.

--
Graeme Wintle (Microsoft MCTS)
graemewATbytesnapDOTcoDOTuk

Build is slow.
Hello. The environment is 6.0 vc++. When one DLL has 1700 source codes. Build is slow. debug start takes time. Please teach a good solution. Thanks, Buy a faster computer. ;) AliR. "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23DF80A8-723F-43A3-A5D9-7722EEA97578@microsoft.com... > Hello. > > The environment is 6.0 vc++. > When one DLL has 1700 source codes. > > Build is slow. > debug start takes time. > Please teach a good solution. > > Thanks, > "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Stay away from Groupshield 6.0
We recenetly migrated from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000. Following the migration, we also decided to move over to Groupshield 6.0 from the 5.0 version we had been using for a long time without any issues. The minute we switched over to Groupshield 6.0, our reliable Exchange system became extremely unstable. We never had a down-minute for many months, and now we're facing 30-45 minute downtime per week due to a poor product from McAfee. The sysmptom of the problem we see is RPCServ taking up a lot of CPU cycles and freezing Exchange for good. Even the event logger becomes unresponsive. R...

Slow Navigating Folders for attachments!!
Using Outlook-2002. Recently, since about a month ago, when I try to save attachments or attach files to messages and attempt to navigate to the folder of interest (after I click on the attach button), navigation is VERY slow - like if I click on a sub-folder, it may take over a minute for that sub-folder to open. It doesn't matter if other apps are running, or if I'm just changing to a different drive, or to the root directory. Everything takes minutes! It renders it useless :-( Any ideas? ...

Word 2003
It takes sometimes 10 seconds when I press crtl+c (copy) or crtl+x (cut) in a text inside Word 2003. Even if it is only one word it takes a lot of time just to copy or cut or paste it. That does not happen in Excel or Power Point only in Word. Please can anybody help me to solve this very annoying issue? Thank you very much indeed, Anderson From reading other postings on this forum, it seems that poor AddIns can cause this latency. I have also found that doing a clean up of the temp files seems to help as well. Hope this helps DeanH "Anderson" wrote: ...

Slow Slow Slow
When I click between different emails in my inbox, it takes ages for it to appear on the display. My internet connection is super fast. I have recently had to reinstall Office XP and I think a setting has been changed somewhere. I have an anti-virus but it never slowed it down like this before. To put in perspective, I've had 120 spams today and its took 37 minutes to delete them because of this problem. I have ran a virus check and its fine. Any thoughts on a registry tweak?? Cheers Carl Carl Sheldon <ccshell@courtlands5.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > When I click between differe...

Deactivate/Disable User and activities
Hi. Is there any effects on activities (open, scheduled, completed or cancelled) if a user is Disabled/Deactivated? Would other users be able to manage the activities. Thank you. -- Cheers Sue Hi, before disabling your user, you could first assign his open activities to one or more other users before deactivating him "Sue" wrote: > Hi. > > > Is there any effects on activities (open, scheduled, completed or cancelled) > if a user is Disabled/Deactivated? > > Would other users be able to manage the activities. > > Thank you. > > -- &g...

Report with notes in crm 3.0
I'm trying to create a report for my customized version of Account, and I can't figure out how to add the notes field into the report. It doesn't seem to be in the Account view in the sql(2005) db. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Simon notes are stored in the annotationbase table ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP "Simon" <bolivar13@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135803798.372023.321870@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I'm trying to create a report for my customized version of Account, and > I can't figure...

slow loading, slow updating
I am using MS Money in a non-standard application. I am maintaining ledgersin checkbook fashion for 100 accounts, each set up as a separate checking account. Each of those has 3 transactions set up as automatic bill pays. Other than that, there are very few entries, averaging 6 per year at most. The program takes about 5 minutes to load. Corrections, such as posting bill payments, takes approx 10 seconds to cycle through: Open, edit, enter, wait........ Open, edit, enter, wait.....etc. I am not doing any online updating or anything like that. Is there anything I can do to speed this ...

Slow Viewing e-mails
Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? Found an answer to the problem in another post. Simply turning of the Messenger Integration fixed everything. /Johan >-----Original Message----- >Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. >Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It >worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? >. > On 25 nov 2003 Johan wrote: > Found an answer to the problem in another pos...

While installing CRM 4.0 I get this sql server error about
I can't figure out what this is. It's clear it's turned on. I didn't install SQL server 2005, it was already on the machine, but the CRM verification list keeps giving me this error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) Any help is greatly appreciated. Did you resolve this? I'm getting the sa...

Make cell display 0 if number is negative
Hi, How would I go about making a cell that contains a formula read and display any number less than zero as zero. Can this be done? Any help would be appreciated! Hopefully this will be my last question:c) Ron One way: =MAX(<your formula here>,0) In article <el$#m2WhEHA.384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Ron King" <montyboy@earthlink.net> wrote: > Hi, > How would I go about making a cell that contains a formula read and > display any number less than zero as zero. Can this be done? Any help > would be appreciated! Hopefully this will ...

E.M. PowerPoint Video Converter
Easy-To-Use, High-Quality Program, Quickly converts PowerPoint to video, audio and images, such as avi, flv, 3gp, swf, mkv, mpeg2 ts, DVD, mp4, mov, mp3...Support input ppt, pps, pptx, ppsx files. E.M. PowerPoint Video Converter is an all-in-one PowerPoint to video converter. It can convert PowerPoint presentations to almost all popular video formats such as AVI, MPEG, MPEG2 TS, MP4, WMV, 3GP, GIF, FLV, SWF, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, H.264/PSP AVC Video, MOV, Youtube FLV with excellent quality. you could easily convert PowerPoint presentations to play on your iPod, PSP, Zune, 3GP mobile phone(...

Dynamics GP 9.0 Install for Client workstations
Very Disappointed. I created the msi file to send to the workstations. The client launched the file, it loaded Utilities, but needed the sa password to continue. I still had to go to the client's workstation to put this in. I also had to change the OLE notes and the Shared location of the reports.dic I was misinformed by Microsoft back in October 2005 that the installer package handled all of this information, thus making it a true client pushdown/pull. If it's a brand new install on a workstation, you must also create the ODBC client. Also, I cannot put anything from dis...

why GetFieldValue() is so slow
I get connected a vfp6 dbf file, and the total record number is about 50000, I want to export specified field value ( most of their type are string), and the result is correct, but it works toooooo slow, and I find the function GetFieldValue takes most time. my code is: while(!m_Rs.IsEOF()) { for(index=0; index < m_ListDest.GetCount(); index++) { strLine=m_pSortItem[m_pSortList[index]]; m_Rs.GetFieldValue(m_pSortList[index], strVal); strVal.TrimRight(_T(' ')); if(strVal == "" && m_isFilter) continue; strLine.Insert(0, _T('[')); ...

Outlook 2003 Pro with XP Pro Too Slow with McAfee 2004
I just bought a new high-end brandname laptop with XP Pro. In it, I: - installed Office 2003 Pro, - installed McAfee Internet Security Center 6.0 2004 (including Firewall, AntiVirus, Privacy Service, Spamkiller), and - downloaded and installed all latest MS and McAfee software updates, by the books. Hoping to lessen intra-computer response, I opted out some sub-features in McAfee. The installations were easy. Without McAfee, Outlook 2003 was fast, reliable. After installing and working with McAfee, Outlook 2003 is miserably slow in most operations (send/receive, clicking on ema...

Changing colours in response to differing input conditions
I'd like to change the background colour of a cell dependant upon the result of a formula inside the cell. For instance, if the result of the calculation is less than or equal to 25, the background should be green. If the result returned is greater than 25 but less than 30, perhaps the colur could change to orange. A value of 30 or more would see the colour changing to red. Any ideas, please I would have thought this would have been a common question but I've seen nothing about this anywhere. Having said that, I also thought that having a function that returns the date an entry wa...

Can I assign an ip form within a program on Windows CE 6.0
Hi I know in Windows CE 6.0 you can change the ip address on the device by doing the following 1. Navigate to : Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network and Dial up Connections 2. Right click on the network adapter and select Properties 3. You will see the IP Settings dialog box 4. Click Specify an IP address and fill it in I would like to do the same thing in a program. What do I wirte too? Are they registry entries or something in the smbserver.dll? Can someone please provide some detail on what to write too? -- Don Just ...

Exchange 2000 very slow
My Exchange 2000 SP4 is very slow and every computer keep showing the Outlook Send/Receive Progress window. This is happen every morning. I have to restart the Exchange Server twice a day, once in the morning and later in the afternoon. Once I do that then everything is ok until the afternoon around 3:30pm. Could someone please tell what could be causing this problem and how can I solve the problem? Thanks in advance, Look for any processes that start to eat more ram throughout the day. if you see one find out what app it is from and check the manufacturer for an update. Sounds li...

vc++ 6.0 xp theme tab background color
hi i have created a vc++ 6.0 program using the xp theme maniest, no problems, all controls are now xp-stye. the problem i am having is that my application has a tab control in it. the xp theme color for a tab control background is a light cream, almost white color, but the static labels, radio button labels and the group box labels all have a rectangular region around them that is the old color. i have searched these groups, and the closest i have come to a solution is using the 'EnableThemeDialogTexture', but this does not exist within vc++ 6.0. any comments welcome thanks, evan ...

CRM 4.0
Hi, After upgrading the crm 4.0 all reports seems to be duplicated, but reports are working fine. when enter reporting services I can see 2 folders for the company, one that doesn't contain any report. So i deleted it. Reports are running fine in reports server. After this I get the following error when running the reports in CRM: An error has occured try this action again. if the problem continues, check Microsoft Dynamics CRM community for solutions or contact your organization's Microsoft Dynamics crm administrator Finally you can contact CRM support. ANY IDEAS??? Have...

Recovering Pub. 6.0 files
My HD crashed a while ago, and I am trying to recover some files of it. I have the original Office 2000 Small Business Edition disks, but I lost the Product code, and I can't reinstall the program. Any suggestions? ...

14 Free Videos Teach You How to Spot Opportunities in Your Charts
Dear Friends, Watch the just released Independent Trader Video Series. This series features 14 free videos that teach you how to spot opportunities in your charts that you may be overlooking. You get more than 100 minutes of video packed with valuable Elliott wave techniques that you can incorporate into your trading. Plus, you can watch and re-watch the online videos at your own pace and on your schedule. "I have watched the videos and have found them to be Educative and Insightful and am certain that it would help anybody who "Trades" with a serious approach." You can ...

slow printing
Just installed new dell for boss with win2k and office 2k, all update including w2k sp4 and off2k sp3. User now states that his HP4000 laser prints slow compared to his win98 that this machine replaced. The slow printing only seem to occur in excell - other programs seem fine. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks Bob Page ...

Error in CRM 3.0 trying to access My Work | Activities area
We are having a bit of trouble with one of our user accounts accessing “Workplace | My Work | Activities”. It actually they are getting the "Error: An error has occurred. For more information ..." on this page. Every other page is fine and all other users are good. Only this one user when they try to access their activities. Permissions are not the problem as the user has exactly the same as everyone else. So what else could it be? Any suggestions would be great. I have CRM 3.0 installed on Windows 2003 Enterprise with SQL 2005 Enterprise. Thats it thats all. Thanks. ...

Slow or no communication at all
Hello all. Since I'm new around here, please let me know if this is the right place to post this. I've been checking these forums for a long time now, but fortunately I always found what I was looking for and never had the need to post. For that, I want to thank you all for the tremendous work (and help) everyone participating here have been given throughout these years. The problem that brings me here today, relates not entirely to the SBS 2003. What happens is that we have several MAC OS machines connecting to several shares in a SBS 2003. Everything was ok untill one o...