How to enable debug?

Dear all,
I'd be interested in enabling debug for RAS/PPP module.

This is the very first time I try to enable debug messages, hence I am quite
sure I am missing something :(

What I have done:
- run a build in DEBUG mode (from configuratiin manager)
- my build has Target Control Support module (this shall enable abilita
SYSGEN_SHELL)
-the following build options are enables: Enable Kernel Debugger e Enable KITL

Result:
On COM1  (my debug port) I keep on seing exacly the same messages I see also
in Retail mode.

What's wrong?

I have been reading around and it looks like still something has to be
understood.
In particular:
-How to enable "Target-->CE Debug Zones" (from my understanding this is
needed) but this item in VS2005 IDE is  DISABLED. How to enable it?

-I have seen there is an alternate way: I shall be able to enable debug
zonnes directly from device's shell; they say I shall type "gi mod" to see
which modules are in my image. Well, my board says gi.exe can't be run. I
guess my image is missing something, but I can't figure out what...?

- Is there anything else I am missing?

Thanks much for any advice you can give!!!

You have to enable KITL on your device. Does your device have a
bootloader with a menu? Usually the menu can be used to enable KITL. If
not, do you have the source code of the bootloader? You may have to dive
in and see if the bootloader supports KITL and how to turn it on. If it
doesn't you'll have to find the correct ETHDBG driver (KITL debug
ethernet driver) or create one yourself (over ethernet, USB or serial).

If you enable KITL and download a KITL enabled debug build the following
will happen:

PB will download the image
The device will establish a debug connection with PB
The device will run the image downloaded and continuously communicate
with PB so you can set breakpoints, halt execution, etc.

If you're not looking for an actual debug connection to PB but just want
to see debug messages, you'll have to make sure that your kernel assigns
and enables the serial port as a debug port. See OEMInitDebugSerial.

In the latter case, make sure you disable KITL in the image.

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

 GuruCE
 Microsoft Embedded Partner
 http://GuruCE.com
 Consultancy, training and development services.

On 27/04/2010 02:32, Max wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'd be interested in enabling debug for RAS/PPP module.
>
> This is the very first time I try to enable debug messages, hence I am quite
> sure I am missing something :(
>
> What I have done:
> - run a build in DEBUG mode (from configuratiin manager)
> - my build has Target Control Support module (this shall enable abilita
> SYSGEN_SHELL)
> -the following build options are enables: Enable Kernel Debugger e Enable KITL
>

> Result:
> On COM1  (my debug port) I keep on seing exacly the same messages I see also
> in Retail mode.
>
> What's wrong?
>
> I have been reading around and it looks like still something has to be
> understood.
> In particular:
> -How to enable "Target-->CE Debug Zones" (from my understanding this is
> needed) but this item in VS2005 IDE is  DISABLED. How to enable it?
>
> -I have seen there is an alternate way: I shall be able to enable debug
> zonnes directly from device's shell; they say I shall type "gi mod" to see
> which modules are in my image. Well, my board says gi.exe can't be run. I
> guess my image is missing something, but I can't figure out what...?
>
> - Is there anything else I am missing?
>

> Thanks much for any advice you can give!!!

0
Michel
4/26/2010 9:51:10 PM
Thanks Michel!
I'll have to check this out.

I keep on learning and discovering there is more to learn :)

"Michel Verhagen [eMVP]" wrote:

> You have to enable KITL on your device. Does your device have a
> bootloader with a menu? Usually the menu can be used to enable KITL. If
> not, do you have the source code of the bootloader? You may have to dive
> in and see if the bootloader supports KITL and how to turn it on. If it
> doesn't you'll have to find the correct ETHDBG driver (KITL debug
> ethernet driver) or create one yourself (over ethernet, USB or serial).
>
> If you enable KITL and download a KITL enabled debug build the following
> will happen:
>
> PB will download the image
> The device will establish a debug connection with PB
> The device will run the image downloaded and continuously communicate
> with PB so you can set breakpoints, halt execution, etc.
>
> If you're not looking for an actual debug connection to PB but just want
> to see debug messages, you'll have to make sure that your kernel assigns
> and enables the serial port as a debug port. See OEMInitDebugSerial.
>
> In the latter case, make sure you disable KITL in the image.
>

> Good luck,
>
> Michel Verhagen, eMVP
> Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog
>
>  GuruCE
>  Microsoft Embedded Partner
>  http://GuruCE.com
>  Consultancy, training and development services.
>
> On 27/04/2010 02:32, Max wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > I'd be interested in enabling debug for RAS/PPP module.
> >
> > This is the very first time I try to enable debug messages, hence I am quite
> > sure I am missing something :(
> >
> > What I have done:
> > - run a build in DEBUG mode (from configuratiin manager)
> > - my build has Target Control Support module (this shall enable abilita
> > SYSGEN_SHELL)
> > -the following build options are enables: Enable Kernel Debugger e Enable KITL
> >

> > Result:
> > On COM1  (my debug port) I keep on seing exacly the same messages I see also
> > in Retail mode.
> >
> > What's wrong?
> >
> > I have been reading around and it looks like still something has to be
> > understood.
> > In particular:
> > -How to enable "Target-->CE Debug Zones" (from my understanding this is
> > needed) but this item in VS2005 IDE is  DISABLED. How to enable it?
> >
> > -I have seen there is an alternate way: I shall be able to enable debug
> > zonnes directly from device's shell; they say I shall type "gi mod" to see
> > which modules are in my image. Well, my board says gi.exe can't be run. I
> > guess my image is missing something, but I can't figure out what...?
> >
> > - Is there anything else I am missing?
> >

> > Thanks much for any advice you can give!!!
> >

> .

Great! Look like debug is finally enabled.
Unfortunately there are some... memory issue that I describe down below.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Build options:
-	No Enable Kernel Debugger
-	No Enable KITL
-	Yes Enable eboot space in memory
-	Yes Run-time image can be larger than 32 MB

Connection options:
Debug NONE

Actions:
-	Deploy
-	Board powers up
-	Debug information is seen from hyperterminal connected to board’s COM1
-	After sometimes the board gets stuck and the following Error appears on
the boards lcd:
o	Program memory is low
o	Program memory is very low. You must… the amount of program memory
-	While from Debug COM1 hyperterminal connection we can read:
DoVMAlloc - returns 00000000
CXPORT:CTEAllocMem - Calling CTEPoolGC(GC_FOR_OOM)!!!

SMTP connector with outbound security enabled, enables authentication for all other connectors!!?!
Hi, *I have so far tested this on two Exchange Orgs. One being our live platform and the other our test enviroment. Both are running Active Directory native mode for 2003, with Exchange 2003 and Exchange SP1*. Right this is my scenario: I have two SMTP connectors, one is the default 'Internet' with a cost of 1 and address space of *. The other is called 'Admin users' has the a cost of 20 with the address space of * also. Our Front end exchange servers; let's call them: 'EXFE1 and EXFE2' are the local bridgeheads for both connectors. The Internet connector by de...

Enable automatic query refresh for all workbooks?
I know there's a way (according to a KB article on Office 2000 SR1), and in Office XP I must have turned this off somehow, since my workbook didn't ask me everytime if it should refresh or not, but I can't seem to find where this checkbox is in Office 2003! This checkbox has been removed in XL2003 for security reasons. You cannot off the prompt using the XL interface. Modifying the following registry key will give you the same effect: Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options Key: QuerySecurity Values: 0 = Prompt on all workbooks 1 = Do Not Prom...

IE6
I inadvertently checked the "Do not show me this message again" box, but, as I like to know when I am being re-directed to or from a secure site, I would like to re-enable it. Is is possible, please? Kate Kate wrote: > I inadvertently checked the "Do not show me this message again" box, > but, as I like to know when I am being re-directed to or from a secure > site, I would like to re-enable it. Is is possible, please? Have you looked at the settings for the security zone (probably the Internet security zone) under which the unidentified web...

Enabling Circular Logging
Hi all. I am performing backups of my exchange DB's over the internet starting today. The company I am doing this with suggested enabling circular logging on the Exchange server to avoid backing up unnesseccary data and to svae over the wire bamdwidth. Can anyone explain to me what it is, and how to enble it? I have Exchange 2003 standard server with SP1. Thanks!!!! On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:51:01 -0800, "redrobit" <redrobit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all. I am performing backups of my exchange DB's over the internet >starting today. The compa...

Enable macros
I've got a fairly compex workbook with lots of named ranges. I've been using and updating this WB for over a year. All of a sudden, I now get the following message every time I enter something in any field: "The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros." I don't have any macros in this workbook. Les ...

ExitInstance never gets called in Debug build #2
I have already posted this question ones, but I didn't get any answers so I try again. I have an MFC SDI application which runs fine under Windows 98 both in debug and release build. When I compile and run the same application in debug mode under Windows XP everything seems to be OK, but sometimes when I exit the application the CWinApp destructor and the ExitInstance function are never called. If I compile and run in release mode everything seems to be OK. Any ideas of what might cause this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Regards Jan >I have already post...

Determining if hibernation is enabled
Hi, I'm using SetSuspendState(TRUE, FALSE, FALSE) to put the pc in into hibernation, which only works if hibernation is enabled. How can I determine whether hibernation is enabled before calling, so I can report as much to my users? I'm working with VS2008, targetting XP and Vista. Thanks, Steph IsPwrHibernateAllowed\ GetPwrCapabilities or CallNtPowerInformation(Maybe it's better way) "Steph" <steph@newsgroups.nospam> д����Ϣ news:92169931-7711-41D8-A88E-6C6092343D40@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I'm using SetSuspendState(TRUE, FALSE, FALSE) to put...

Enable/disable EDIT Menu's PASTE item according to clipboarb's format
Env: Windows2000, VC++6.00, MFC, . I have a CView based application, which deals with BITMAP. Since application can receive pasting operation coming from clipboard only for BITMAP format, so I hope that ID_EDIT_PASTE item on "Edit" Menu and ID_EDIT_PASTE button on toolbar can be enabled/disabled automatically according to the current clipboard format. I know I can do that if I put IsClipboardFormatAvailable(CF_BITMAP) into ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI(ID_EDIT_PASTE, OnUpdateEditPaste) as follows, void CMainFrame::OnUpdateEditPaste(CCmdUI* pCmdUI) { pCmdUI->Enable( IsClipboardFormatAva...

set enable & disable of button (VC 6.0)
Hello, For VC 6.0 (MFC) : How can I set the enable/disable state of that button ? Thanks :) this is not going to work buddy ....... read a book ..... "Eitan M" <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote in message news:ewfJoieGHHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello, > For VC 6.0 (MFC) : > How can I set the enable/disable state of that button ? > > Thanks :) > hi Eitan, Try following, //To Enable button...at run time ...IDB_MYBUTTON is ID of your botton GetDlgItem(IDB_MYBUTTON)->EnableWindow(TRUE); //To Disab...

The MS Graph Tool should be debugged and greatly enhanced.
The MS Graph Tool is used for a great deal of technical information, in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. It has not been worked on by Microsoft since 1997. It still has bugs in it, it has not been enhanced, it makes a great many assumptions about formatting, it limits document automation, and it is not well supported by VBA macroing. Given the heavy use of this tool, it would seem that Microsoft should focus some energy on improving it. This would be much more helpful than adding to widgets to Office that we never use. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Mic...

RE-Enabled Acconts
OK, I have read dozens of messages about users not being able to access their accounts if they were dis-abled then re-enabled. Nothing definitive for an answer though.. Some have said WAIT.. My question is how long to wait? I do know that if I re-boot the exchange server they get their access back, so I am thinking it is a wait thing, but in one instance I had waited 1 hour... What is happening? Carl it can actually take up to 2 hours for the re-enabling to take effect... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Carl Hilton" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:uib71bezGHA....

Can you Mail-Enable/Disable Users by OU?
I was wondering if there was a way to mail-enable/disable users by OU or group in Exchange 2000? I have one 2000 domain with 800 or so users, but I only want 100 of them to have mailboxes. I know when you install Exchange it asks you which users you want to mail-enable. But I was wondering if there was a way to maintain this after the fact, say by saying everyone in a particular OU has a mailbox. Also, are there any security measure that I should take with regards to securing the Exchange server to the ~700 users who don't have mailboxes and should have any access to the Exchange serve...

Debug Assertion Failed #5
Hi, I have an application that I support that was developed with VS6, 7, and now I am using VS2005. It is being installed and tested on a PC elsewhere. The person testing it for me is having a runtime issue with the following message, Debug Assertion Failed! names the executale with this line after, File f:\rtm\vctools\vc7libs\ship\atlmfc\include\atlsimpstr.h Expression: (iChar >=0) && (iChar <= GetLength()) Almost seems like the wrong lib is being used on the test machine, vc7libs. Should that be vc8 since I am using VS 2005? Not sure what to make of this. The application work...

Enable Override price
Hi It is possible to enable the Override pricing function on the Order form. We have noticed that the pricing of the order is greyed out if the order is associated with a quote. It is possible to enable this functionality through the use of Jscript using the OnLoad event. Thanks Mark Hi Mark, You can't change the order form. But you can use Write-In products for quote and order. then you can change the price of the product to reflect the price chage for an order. Darren Liu Crowe http://www.crowecrm.com On Sep 19, 9:58 am, Mark Braithwaite <MarkBraithwa...@discussions.microsof...

How to enable debug?
Dear all, I'd be interested in enabling debug for RAS/PPP module. This is the very first time I try to enable debug messages, hence I am quite sure I am missing something :( What I have done: - run a build in DEBUG mode (from configuratiin manager) - my build has Target Control Support module (this shall enable abilita SYSGEN_SHELL) -the following build options are enables: Enable Kernel Debugger e Enable KITL Result: On COM1 (my debug port) I keep on seing exacly the same messages I see also in Retail mode. What's wrong? I have been reading around and it l...

Vertical tab control with owner draw enabled
Hi I have a tab control with owner draw enabled in which I am drawing a icon and a text. It works perfectly fine when the TCS_VERTICAL option is not selected. But when I select TCS_VERTICAL option I am not able to see the text. Could anyone knows a solution for this? Regards ...

after debug "Can't write dll because a process has it open"
Learning vbnet, working on project that runs inside AutoCAD and connects to an instance of acad to call methods etc. If the vb proj bombs due to error(which is often as i'm learning and experimenting) even if caught in a try/catch , when i close Acad to rebuild the vbproj, acad closes but is still running in process list. i'll run a test(of the dotnet app). Close acad. revise dotnet app and rebuild. Get error "can't rewrite dll because a process has it open" or something like that. When I look in the process list(task mgr) acad.exe is still running even t...

Convert Mail Enabled to MailBox Enabled
Does anyone know how to programically convert a mail enabled user to a mailbox enabled user? Any help would be appreciated Have you tried using the CDOEXM CreateMailbox method as per this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327079 -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Bob Smith" <BobSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A063BC22-5510-4564-8CE2-A6269FE29958@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know how to programically convert a mail enabled user to a > mailbox enabled user? > > Any help woul...

Cannot connect to FileShares after enabling Win Firewall on SBS200
Hello A user has been on to his SBS2003 as administrator and turned on the Windows Firewall which also enables Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Now they cannot access mapped drives or browse the SBS network (but they can login and authenticate OK) even though Windows firewall is now turned off on the SBS server. Any ideas on what's gone wrong here and how to fix it? Run the Internet Connection Wizard....that should fix it. Tami "gocat2005" wrote: > Hello > > A user has been on to his SBS2003 as administrator and turned on the Windows ...

Can't re-enable microphoine array
Folks- I run run Vista Home Premium SP2 on a Dell XPS M1730 with built in microphones(2). I inadvertently disabled the Sigmatel Hi Def Audio microphones from: CONTROL-PANEL\SOUND\RECORDING\CONFIGURE I expected the microphone array would appear with a CONFIGURE option to enable it...but it no longer appears under RECORDING and I can't figure out how to get it back. Any suggestions? Thanks. -Gary ...

Enabling Macros
Hi Wrote a couple of macros to move some emails around in outlook 2003, these worked fine for a couple of days, now it reports macros are disabled - tried reinstalling vba in shared applications no different. Help says look in tools-options-security for macros,no sign of anything there (at all) what can I do to get macros working again?? Nik V Help, About... disabled items - see if the VBA addin is disabled. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engine...

Mail Enabled AD objects
I am currently working in a test lab with Exchange 2003 installed on the same computer with Windows 2003 which is also a DC. I am migrating user accounts from another Windows NT 4.0 domain. Everytime I migrate an account to the new AD Domain it automatically creates a mail enabled object for the user account. Is there any way to turn that off? Thanks Ross Are you using ADMT? I think there's an option in ADMT to create mailboxes. Not 100% sure but doublecheck. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this ...

enabling buttons...
Thanks for all good help you guys offer! I have a listbox form that displays a list used for multiple reasons. I.E. it lists templates and you can select them to be modified, to view a summary, etc. This listbox is launched from other forms. Question: Is there a way to have multiple buttons on this list box but only enable certain ones depending on which form launched it? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Hi wabit, I've never heard of having buttons on a list box, but you can certainly have buttons on a form. Yes, these could be enabled depending on wh...

RE-SEND June 18 question on "List of fonts required to be enabled for Office 2004?"
QUESTION Where might I find a list of fonts that Office 2004 requires to be enabled? BACKGROUND: I used Tiger's Font Book to disable several Asian and other font families, but avoided disabling any that Font Book dialogues said were needed for the System. Later, when I tried changing fonts within Entourage messages or Notes, before any other fonts than the one displayed could show up, Microsoft Report came on and it and Entourage went into spinning beachball mode. A subsequent force-quit showed that both were "not responding." When even a rebuild of the Entourage databa...

Security Warning to enable or disable macros
On a few spreadsheet which one particular employee has worked on are giving a Security Warning to enable or disable macros. Yet when in the spreadsheet, it appears that there aren't any macro nor any links. The employee has mentioned that in certain instances, his computer locks up when he tries to save or print preview these particular spreadsheets. Does anyone have any insight into this problem? Hi Chuck Some ideas why the security warning appears: - (empty) code modules exist - code within the worksheet or workbook modules Have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.htm...