Emulator for Win CE 6.0?

I am using Windows CE 6.0 R3 PB. My target device is an x86 based system.
Right now I test my images (nk.bin) by downloading them through EBOOT on the
target device.

I was wondering if there is any kind of emulator (for x86) in CE 6.0 so that
we can test the images without having to download them on the target device?

I read somewhere that there is no emulator in CE 6.0 for x86 unlike in CE
5.0..is it really true?

Thanks

it is TRUE. There is no X86 emulator in windows ce 6.0. but windows ce 6.0 is
having an emulator for ARM. That too you have to build the Deviceemulator BSP.

--
vinoth.R
http://vinoth-vinothblog.blogspot.com

On 3/10/2010 1:18 AM, modest wrote:
> I am using Windows CE 6.0 R3 PB. My target device is an x86 based system.
> Right now I test my images (nk.bin) by downloading them through EBOOT on the
> target device.
>
> I was wondering if there is any kind of emulator (for x86) in CE 6.0 so that
> we can test the images without having to download them on the target device?
>
> I read somewhere that there is no emulator in CE 6.0 for x86 unlike in CE
> 5.0..is it really true?

You may download the Windows CE BSP for Virtual PC here:
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/CE6VirtualPCBSP/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=2722

But you should be careful about developing only on the emulator. When
you move your software to the real platform you may discover some
performance bottlenecks or bugs that may impact the application
functionality (or discover that you wasted a lot of time working on
performance bottlenecks or bugs that are specific of the emulator and
would have not impacted your end device).

--
Valter Minute (eMVP)
Training, support and development for Windows CE:
www.fortechembeddedlabs.it
My embedded programming and cooking blog:
www.geekswithblogs.net/WindowsEmbeddedCookbook
Windows Embedded support forums in Italian:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/it-IT/windowsembeddedit/threads
(the reply address of this message is invalid)
0
Valter
3/10/2010 8:42:14 AM
Test images for your device on an emulator? No, not for any CPU
architecture.  It doesn't make sense and wouldn't save any time or have any
real advantage.  If all you want to do is test OS features, then the CPU
architecture doesn't make a difference, you can use ARM.

--
Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
Senior Engineer

Eurotech Inc.
www.Eurotech.com

"modest" <modest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Windows CE 6.0 R3 PB. My target device is an x86 based system.
> Right now I test my images (nk.bin) by downloading them through EBOOT on
> the
> target device.
>
> I was wondering if there is any kind of emulator (for x86) in CE 6.0 so
> that
> we can test the images without having to download them on the target
> device?
>
> I read somewhere that there is no emulator in CE 6.0 for x86 unlike in CE
> 5.0..is it really true?
>
> Thanks

0
Bruce
3/10/2010 2:05:35 PM
Bruce,

>It doesn't make sense and wouldn't save any time or have any real advantage.
I am not trying to develop an application on the BSP rather I just want to
test that the image created out the BSP will boot on an x86 based system or
not. Sometime I select/de-select drivers/OS components etc. a lot and would
just like to see if the image boots fine or not.

Also it makes me thing why CE 5.0 had x86 emulator in the first place if it
is not that much helpful? Is that the reason why they removed it from CE 6.0?

Thanks

On Mar 10, 11:53=A0am, modest <mod...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Also it makes me thing why CE 5.0 had x86 emulator in the first place if =
it
> is not that much helpful? Is that the reason why they removed it from CE =
6.0?

One useful thing to do with an emulator can be do run your code in the
absence of hardware.

For instance, in trying to get your system up and running faster, you
might have some developers work on designing the Hardware and BSP that
will make CE run on it.  At the same time you may have other
developers work on the more middle-level / application-level software
that you need running on your system.  In this case, using the
emulator until you get better working hardware will enable your
developers to get more work done on the project than they would by
waiting for the first prototype that runs to be ready for them.

I'm sure there are many other good reasons as well.  A separate CEPC
is also an option in the above case but does require additional
hardware which may or may not be possible in some situations.

Regards,
Brad.
0
Bradley

GreatPlains on Win 2003
I am unable to login when I install GreatPlains 8.0 on Windows 2003. I have quite a few installations on windows Server 2003. What is the exact problem you are having? Did you create the ODBC DSNs? HS "Intekhab" <Intekhab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C4635FE5-2F26-491A-9E27-374C76061DE7@microsoft.com... >I am unable to login when I install GreatPlains 8.0 on Windows 2003. Shouldn't be a problem. When you say you are "unable to login" what does that mean? Does the installation work and you can't login? Or does the installation...

Pivot Table
Hi guys I've made a massive pivot table.. however i want all rows which is 0 in one column to be hidden. Is there a setting for this, or do I have to make a macro to go and hide all rows which has 0 in a certain column ? Thansk -- Ctech ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ctech's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27745 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=538405 First enter this small macro: Sub Macro1() Dim r As Range For Each r In Selection If r.Value = 0 Then ...

Emulating Word97
Okay, let's forget, at least for a moment, that Microsoft is discouraging (?deprecating?) the MDI paradigm and "suggesting" (at least by example in Office) that it be replaced by multiple instances of a program. 1. When Word 97 starts, it presents a "new document". If you select instead to work on an existing document -- either with File | Open or with the File | MRU list -- the original "new document" has been closed. How can I do the same thing? 2. Okay, now we ask: What's the big deal about MDI? Why shouldn't I use it? TIA Norm ...

Crash
Hi there, Outlook crashes after new e-mail is encrypted and clicked on sent. Is there a compatiblity problem? Robert ...

Duplicates #6
I have a sheet where dates are my column names and the data is a bunch of codes. I would like to see if there are any duplicate codes in the entire sheet as well within the day. Is this possible? Thank you, Denise Let's say the original data is in A1:F100 with headers in row 1 Starting in, say, G2, select cells G2:L100 and in G2 type the formula =COUNTIF($A$2:$F$100,A2). Press CTRL+ENTER to enter it in all selected cells. Those cells that contain a number > 1 are duplicated. On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:39:50 -0800, "Denise B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

SUMIF Question #6
Hello, Is it possible to use SUMIF with multiple conditions. I have three product catagories in a column, and need a subtotal the dollar value of each catagory based upon its A) its product code, and B) its active (or inactive) status. Regards... You can do this with a matrix -- install the add in for the Conditional SUM Wizard and it should walk you right through it. Do this with Tool Addin and select Conditional sum wizard. (You may need your office disk available). Leah "cincode5" wrote: > Hello, > > Is it possible to use SUMIF with multiple conditions. I have ...

Upgrade path from 6.0 to 8.0? Fastest...
What is the fastest upgrade path from greatplains 6.0 to 8.0? I would rather not have to go through intermediate GP versions to upgrade the database. Is there a reliable way around this? Are there some utilities or docs to assist in this? thanks. Chris csiege@trimeris.com That path is not supported. You have to go through 7.5. Hopefully, you are at least on SQL Server. "trimer@community.nospam.com" wrote: > What is the fastest upgrade path from greatplains 6.0 to 8.0? > I would rather not have to go through intermediate GP versions > to upgrade the database. Is t...

Outlook and Exchange #6
The MD's for the company want to be able to see other users inboxes which I have setup and works fine, but they also want to be able to see peoples sent items folders but I am unable to find a way. Does anyone have anyb suggestions or ideas? Many Thanks S To access a shared folder that isn't one of the folders listed on the = File | Open | Other User's Folder dialog, the mailbox owner needs to = grant "folder visible" permission to the root of the mailbox and any = other parent folders of the shared folder, as well as appropriate = permission -- at least Reviewer...

GP 8.0 and Adobe Elements 7.0
Is there anyone out there that has managed to get the Send To - Mail Recipient (PDF) button from the screen output window of GP 8.0 to work with Adobe Elements 7.0? All indications would say that this should work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -- Tim Foster I am not aware that Adobe Elements is capable of printing to PDF. Seeing it is a deisgn program, well a stripped down version of PhotoShop which is also not able to print to PDF i can not see how it could work. You would need a copy of Adobe Acrobat to print to PDF as this is the only PDF creator supported with GP. Ha...

Install WIN 98 after WIN XP
On my notebook i have installed WIN XPSP2 on partotion C(NTFS). Then I have created partition E on the same hard disk(D is CD drive), and format it to FAT32 situable for instalation of WIN 98. The problem for me is how to install WIN 98 to E drive, without deleting WIN XP, and with boot menu to choose which operating system want to use. I need to install WIN 98 for diagnostic software of some old devices that won´t work on WIN XP. I was thinking to solve this problem in next steps: - create an image of operating system(image of WIN XP) on NTFS file system with some backup a...

SiteMap CRM 3.0
CRM 3.0 -- Jim ...

Publisher #6
Two questions, please: 1 -how do I merge two or more pictre frames into one? 2 - how do I create a boarder (line) around a picture frame? Many thanks You cannot merge two picture frames into one. You would need to do merge/join two pictures together in a paint program then import them into Publisher. Depending on which version of Publisher you have, but generally, right click on the picture and select Format Picture. -- ...

MS Money #6
I need to gain access to my Money 2001 that I have on an old computer but have forgotten the password that I used back then. Is there any way I can find out what my password was? Does anyone know what file the password is kept in and if it's readable? Any help will be appreciated since it's very important that I retrieve some information from that year which I did not carry forward to the more current years. Thank you! In microsoft.public.money, Misty wrote: >I need to gain access to my Money 2001 that I have on an old computer but >have forgotten the password that I...

windows ce bluetooth
i enabled bluetooth in pb5 'Bluetooth Stack with Integrated USB Driver' i can successful discover device nearby but my windows ce device's bluetooth address is always 0 - so i cant do any connect to other devices ... ??? if i do a 'BthReadLocalAddr' i can see the device id but if i discover the windows ce device (with bluetooth dongle) from a windows pc and do a right click for properties, there is no device id (always 0) ... "jwei" wrote: > i enabled bluetooth in pb5 'Bluetooth Stack with Integrated USB Driver' > i can succes...

Cannot remove a TEAM from MS-CRM v1.0
It's really strange that I can only crerate a TEAM in Business Unit and add/remove member to it, but I cannot remove the TEAM itself. My role is System Admin Does anyone meet the same problem? There are many objects within CRM that, once created, can not be deleted. Presumably this is to enforce data integrity, but even records that have no dependencies can't be deleted. You could try deleting directly from the DB. MS won't endorse this, but it can be done. "Raymond" <rhu@ama.ca> wrote in message news:042f01c34b05$599fcb30$a101280a@phx.gbl... It's reall...

Win 7...to..... Win XP??
Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// Rudy wrote: > Blank Is it possible to install Win XP over Win 7 in a laptop > w/o causing any problems?? Thanxxxxx...Rudy//////// "w/o causing any problems" is ill-defined. It's no problem for me to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over a Windows XP system and continue using it... Is it a problem for you to do a clean installation of Windows 7 over Windows XP, install your applications and restore your data so you can us...

GetAttr under Vista and Win 7
I recently opened an old program in vb6 under windows 7 and found the GetAttr() not working. I saw a reference by Karl Peterson that the set attributes no longer works under vista and he stated that you should use the SetFileAttributes API. So I am assuming there is an API for "GetFileAttributes()" but I can't locate it. Any suggestions? thanks "jim" <j@m.com> wrote in message news:uJFMAA15KHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I recently opened an old program in vb6 under windows 7 and found the >GetAttr() not working. How exactly i...

Windows CE Excel
Hi, How many records does excel display in Windows CE? I have a spreadsheet with approx 34,000 records and I was wondering will all records be shown in WinCE Excel or will I have to split the spreadsheet up?? Thanks, Andrew London Hi AFAIK this also supports 65536 rows -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Andrew" <andrew_martin62@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0ad501c48c47$dc5dfbd0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > How many records does excel display in Windows CE? I have > a spreadsheet with approx 34,000 records and I was > wondering will all re...

WIN 7 x64 +Chkdsk
I have tried to run 'Chkdsk' on the Win7 partition. At boot up and after the Windows logo I get a black screen with the message to the effect that Chkdsk has been scheduled and beneath that another saying 'Chkdsk' has been cancelled. The bootup pauses at this screen for about 10 sec and the bootup continues, that is 'Chkdsk' does not run. There are no means to select whether to run or cancel 'Chkdsk' during the bootup. How do I run 'Chdsk' or do I have a fault, if so how to correct the fault? Post here instead, please, Edward: ht...

INVESTMENT: 0 quantity, 1 cent value?
Help: I had two 401(k) mutual fund investments that I contributed to over a great deal of time. Recently I sold the entire positions of both and bought different funds. Now, for these two investments, the reports section of Money 02 is showing 0 quantity, but 1 cent value for each. As a result, I cannot delete these two investments from my investments list, as it says I still have positions in them. So why would Money show a value and say I have a position in an investment that has no quantity, and how do I get rid of this? Thanks, Because it has some non-zero amount that is very, very...

crm 3.0 exchange router pls help!!!since last year pending
i have a crm 3.0 install on sbs2003 and run perfect except to display the e-mail queue. i did follow the instruction to setup the exchange router : 1. create crm mailbox. (CRMMail) 2. install the exchange router and point the crm mail box to CRMMail. 3. run the rule deployement wizard. 4. create a disable user account(support). check the associated external account and CRMEmailEnabled attribute for it. then i test send email to support. at exchange system manager i able to see mail is deliver to support account but seem like not able to route a copy to CRMMail because not able to see any ...

Pressing Change Password -button in WIN XP causes reboot
I want to change my password. I press Ctrl-Atl-Del buttons and then I press Change Password-button and WIN XP Pro computer reboots immediately! I can´t change my password. ...

Emulate IE6 with IE8
Hello, We have a problem in displaying a web site with IE8. Is it possible to emulate the use of IE6 when browsing to the web site with IE8. I find an article that describe how to change the application code but our customer didn't want to do that: <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE6"/> Please can you help me; Best Regards. Sonia. Did you try the IE Tools>Compatibility View Settings? Frank "Ben Aissa Sonia" <BenAissaSonia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA622D37-37A1-4B74-BD0...

Pub 2002 / IE 6.0
When I an online and want to insert clip art, Publisher opens a window at the left with thumbnails of my installed clipart first followed by icons for the online search results. However unlike it used to, I no longer see the thumbnail image of the online clipart. All I see is an icon that says "dglxasset.aspx" If you look at properties it just says type aspx. What has changed that no longer displays the thumbnail? Sometimes I can drag and drop the image; other times a box opens to tell me that the file format is not supported and to install necessary graphics filter bu...

Emulate AutoRedraw
In my Form i Build with Window's Static Form a little graphic control Child of my Form. It work good, bud my problem is that it has not AutoRedraw properties...! So if i move my Form outside MDI_Border the control was graphicaly destroied...! In my mind i try to subclass Form's WM_PAINT message ad repeat the Graphical aspect of my WindowControl, work but not really good. Any one have an idea of messages i need to check...? WM_MOVE give a very bad results... too much regeneration of Window make slowly the execution... I Hope this desctiption was clear. It's so hard or i'm l...