CE6: Hive Registry on XIP ROM & RAM File System

Hi,
The CE6 BSP from supplier supports ROM-Only file system, XIP, Hive-based 
Registry. It works fine on my board.
But we are reuiqred to support ROM and RAM file system, XIP, Hive-based 
Registry.
After some modifications, ROM and RAM file system is working now. All 
folders are in RAM, except Windows folder. But I have two problems, don't 
know how to solve them:
1. After system boots up, only My Device icon and Recyle Bin icon appears on 
desktop. IE icon, Word Pad icon, and other MS shortcut icons are not 
displayed. Program folder is empty. I remember I can see all the wince icons 
in CE5 (ROM and RAM file system). Where is wrong in my configuration? 
2. The NAND Flash is divided into two partitions. BinFS partition for 
Windows files. exFAT partition is mounted, and name it as "NANDFlash". In 
order to implement Hive Registry (all registry setting will be lost after 
restart for now), I want to place default.hv into "NANDFlash". I set it as 
follow,
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init\BootVars]
      "SystemHive"="NANDFLASH\\default.hv"
        "Flags"=dword:3
        "RegistryFlags"=dword:1 ; aggressive flush
But I found a folder named with "NANDFLASH" is created in RAM, and 
default.hv is in it. The original "NANDFLASH" partition is renamed as 
"NANDFLASH2" by OS. I suspect maybe this is caused by a reversed loading 
sequence - "NANDFLASH" partition is not mounted early enough. But I still 
don't know how to solve the problem. How to Place default.hv in "NANDFLASH" 
partition? 

Thanks
Eric
0
Utf
6/3/2010 12:53:03 PM
windowsce.platbuilder 744 articles. 0 followers. Follow

4 Replies
1669 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 8

You should use ROM-only file system to keep persistent storage of
files.
From PB help document, we know that:
the RAM+ROM file system provides file storage at the object store, and
ROM-only file system doesn't enable application to place files in the
object store.
So when you use RAM+ROM file system, the files are stored at object
store, which is part of RAM, and lost all data when power is off.

On 6=E6=9C=883=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=888=E6=97=B653=E5=88=86, Eric_Ma <=
Eri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> The CE6 BSP from supplier supports ROM-Only file system, XIP, Hive-based
> Registry. It works fine on my board.
> But we are reuiqred to support ROM and RAM file system, XIP, Hive-based
> Registry.
> After some modifications, ROM and RAM file system is working now. All
> folders are in RAM, except Windows folder. But I have two problems, don't
> know how to solve them:
> 1. After system boots up, only My Device icon and Recyle Bin icon appears=
 on
> desktop. IE icon, Word Pad icon, and other MS shortcut icons are not
> displayed. Program folder is empty. I remember I can see all the wince ic=
ons
> in CE5 (ROM and RAM file system). Where is wrong in my configuration?
> 2. The NAND Flash is divided into two partitions. BinFS partition for
> Windows files. exFAT partition is mounted, and name it as "NANDFlash". In
> order to implement Hive Registry (all registry setting will be lost after
> restart for now), I want to place default.hv into "NANDFlash". I set it a=
s
> follow,
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init\BootVars]
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 "SystemHive"=3D"NANDFLASH\\default.hv"
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 "Flags"=3Ddword:3
> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 "RegistryFlags"=3Ddword:1 ; aggressive flush
> But I found a folder named with "NANDFLASH" is created in RAM, and
> default.hv is in it. The original "NANDFLASH" partition is renamed as
> "NANDFLASH2" by OS. I suspect maybe this is caused by a reversed loading
> sequence - "NANDFLASH" partition is not mounted early enough. But I still
> don't know how to solve the problem. How to Place default.hv in "NANDFLAS=
H"
> partition?
>
> Thanks
> Eric

0
XuanKe
6/3/2010 1:28:16 PM
> 1. After system boots up, only My Device icon and Recyle Bin icon appears 
> on
> desktop. IE icon, Word Pad icon, and other MS shortcut icons are not
> displayed. Program folder is empty. I remember I can see all the wince 
> icons
> in CE5 (ROM and RAM file system). Where is wrong in my configuration?

Did you include IE, Word Pad.. in your OS?

> 2. The NAND Flash is divided into two partitions. BinFS partition for
> Windows files. exFAT partition is mounted, and name it as "NANDFlash". In
> order to implement Hive Registry (all registry setting will be lost after
> restart for now), I want to place default.hv into "NANDFlash". I set it as
> follow,
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init\BootVars]
>      "SystemHive"="NANDFLASH\\default.hv"
>        "Flags"=dword:3
>        "RegistryFlags"=dword:1 ; aggressive flush
> But I found a folder named with "NANDFLASH" is created in RAM, and
> default.hv is in it. The original "NANDFLASH" partition is renamed as
> "NANDFLASH2" by OS. I suspect maybe this is caused by a reversed loading
> sequence - "NANDFLASH" partition is not mounted early enough. But I still
> don't know how to solve the problem. How to Place default.hv in 
> "NANDFLASH"
> partition?

Review the hive based registry settings in PB Help.  You also might want to 
load the nk.bin into Visual Studio, this will allow you to easily review the 
boot hive to determine if you have everything that you need to mount your 
nand flash and use it as storage for hive registry.

Also, you will need to set the environment variable PRJ_ENABLE_FSREGHIVE 
otherwise the hive goes into RAM.

-- 
Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
Senior Engineer
Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
www.Eurotech.com

"Eric_Ma" <EricMa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:DFD63B0B-3211-4C19-A306-3DA4EA6EB733@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> The CE6 BSP from supplier supports ROM-Only file system, XIP, Hive-based
> Registry. It works fine on my board.
> But we are reuiqred to support ROM and RAM file system, XIP, Hive-based
> Registry.
> After some modifications, ROM and RAM file system is working now. All
> folders are in RAM, except Windows folder. But I have two problems, don't
> know how to solve them:
> 1. After system boots up, only My Device icon and Recyle Bin icon appears 
> on
> desktop. IE icon, Word Pad icon, and other MS shortcut icons are not
> displayed. Program folder is empty. I remember I can see all the wince 
> icons
> in CE5 (ROM and RAM file system). Where is wrong in my configuration?
> 2. The NAND Flash is divided into two partitions. BinFS partition for
> Windows files. exFAT partition is mounted, and name it as "NANDFlash". In
> order to implement Hive Registry (all registry setting will be lost after
> restart for now), I want to place default.hv into "NANDFlash". I set it as
> follow,
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init\BootVars]
>      "SystemHive"="NANDFLASH\\default.hv"
>        "Flags"=dword:3
>        "RegistryFlags"=dword:1 ; aggressive flush
> But I found a folder named with "NANDFLASH" is created in RAM, and
> default.hv is in it. The original "NANDFLASH" partition is renamed as
> "NANDFLASH2" by OS. I suspect maybe this is caused by a reversed loading
> sequence - "NANDFLASH" partition is not mounted early enough. But I still
> don't know how to solve the problem. How to Place default.hv in 
> "NANDFLASH"
> partition?
>
> Thanks
> Eric 


0
Bruce
6/3/2010 1:51:10 PM
In addition to what Bruce indicated, the PRJ_ENABLE_FSREGHIVE setting 
suppresses ObjectStore (RAM filesys) to mount as bootable (storing registry 
hive) from removing "MountAsBootable" in 
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\AutoLoad\ObjectStore]
Please refer to public\common\oak\files\common.reg for detail.

"Bruce Eitman [eMVP]" wrote:

> > 1. After system boots up, only My Device icon and Recyle Bin icon appears 
> > on
> > desktop. IE icon, Word Pad icon, and other MS shortcut icons are not
> > displayed. Program folder is empty. I remember I can see all the wince 
> > icons
> > in CE5 (ROM and RAM file system). Where is wrong in my configuration?
> 
> Did you include IE, Word Pad.. in your OS?
> 
> > 2. The NAND Flash is divided into two partitions. BinFS partition for
> > Windows files. exFAT partition is mounted, and name it as "NANDFlash". In
> > order to implement Hive Registry (all registry setting will be lost after
> > restart for now), I want to place default.hv into "NANDFlash". I set it as
> > follow,
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init\BootVars]
> >      "SystemHive"="NANDFLASH\\default.hv"
> >        "Flags"=dword:3
> >        "RegistryFlags"=dword:1 ; aggressive flush
> > But I found a folder named with "NANDFLASH" is created in RAM, and
> > default.hv is in it. The original "NANDFLASH" partition is renamed as
> > "NANDFLASH2" by OS. I suspect maybe this is caused by a reversed loading
> > sequence - "NANDFLASH" partition is not mounted early enough. But I still
> > don't know how to solve the problem. How to Place default.hv in 
> > "NANDFLASH"
> > partition?
> 
> Review the hive based registry settings in PB Help.  You also might want to 
> load the nk.bin into Visual Studio, this will allow you to easily review the 
> boot hive to determine if you have everything that you need to mount your 
> nand flash and use it as storage for hive registry.
> 
> Also, you will need to set the environment variable PRJ_ENABLE_FSREGHIVE 
> otherwise the hive goes into RAM.
> 
> -- 
> Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
> Senior Engineer
> Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
> My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman
> 
> Eurotech Inc.
> www.Eurotech.com
> 
> "Eric_Ma" <EricMa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:DFD63B0B-3211-4C19-A306-3DA4EA6EB733@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > The CE6 BSP from supplier supports ROM-Only file system, XIP, Hive-based
> > Registry. It works fine on my board.
> > But we are reuiqred to support ROM and RAM file system, XIP, Hive-based
> > Registry.
> > After some modifications, ROM and RAM file system is working now. All
> > folders are in RAM, except Windows folder. But I have two problems, don't
> > know how to solve them:
> > 1. After system boots up, only My Device icon and Recyle Bin icon appears 
> > on
> > desktop. IE icon, Word Pad icon, and other MS shortcut icons are not
> > displayed. Program folder is empty. I remember I can see all the wince 
> > icons
> > in CE5 (ROM and RAM file system). Where is wrong in my configuration?
> > 2. The NAND Flash is divided into two partitions. BinFS partition for
> > Windows files. exFAT partition is mounted, and name it as "NANDFlash". In
> > order to implement Hive Registry (all registry setting will be lost after
> > restart for now), I want to place default.hv into "NANDFlash". I set it as
> > follow,
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init\BootVars]
> >      "SystemHive"="NANDFLASH\\default.hv"
> >        "Flags"=dword:3
> >        "RegistryFlags"=dword:1 ; aggressive flush
> > But I found a folder named with "NANDFLASH" is created in RAM, and
> > default.hv is in it. The original "NANDFLASH" partition is renamed as
> > "NANDFLASH2" by OS. I suspect maybe this is caused by a reversed loading
> > sequence - "NANDFLASH" partition is not mounted early enough. But I still
> > don't know how to solve the problem. How to Place default.hv in 
> > "NANDFLASH"
> > partition?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Eric 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
6/3/2010 4:51:46 PM
Hi KMOS and Bruce,

Thanks for your help. 
The HIVE registry is implemented in CE6 "ROM and RAM File System" by the 
following modifications:
1. set PRJ_ENABLE_FSREGHIVE, as indicated by Bruce
2. Do not include the name of the file system on which the file is stored, 
as introduced in MSDN.
3. Remove all the "Flags" setting used in "ROM-only File System" from 
registery, and set it as below, 
	[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\MSFlash]
		"Flags"=dword:1000 

Perhaps the main problem I met is on "Flags" setting. 

Eric

"KMOS" wrote:

> In addition to what Bruce indicated, the PRJ_ENABLE_FSREGHIVE setting 
> suppresses ObjectStore (RAM filesys) to mount as bootable (storing registry 
> hive) from removing "MountAsBootable" in 
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\AutoLoad\ObjectStore]
> Please refer to public\common\oak\files\common.reg for detail.
> 
> "Bruce Eitman [eMVP]" wrote:
> 
> > > 1. After system boots up, only My Device icon and Recyle Bin icon appears 
> > > on
> > > desktop. IE icon, Word Pad icon, and other MS shortcut icons are not
> > > displayed. Program folder is empty. I remember I can see all the wince 
> > > icons
> > > in CE5 (ROM and RAM file system). Where is wrong in my configuration?
> > 
> > Did you include IE, Word Pad.. in your OS?
> > 
> > > 2. The NAND Flash is divided into two partitions. BinFS partition for
> > > Windows files. exFAT partition is mounted, and name it as "NANDFlash". In
> > > order to implement Hive Registry (all registry setting will be lost after
> > > restart for now), I want to place default.hv into "NANDFlash". I set it as
> > > follow,
> > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init\BootVars]
> > >      "SystemHive"="NANDFLASH\\default.hv"
> > >        "Flags"=dword:3
> > >        "RegistryFlags"=dword:1 ; aggressive flush
> > > But I found a folder named with "NANDFLASH" is created in RAM, and
> > > default.hv is in it. The original "NANDFLASH" partition is renamed as
> > > "NANDFLASH2" by OS. I suspect maybe this is caused by a reversed loading
> > > sequence - "NANDFLASH" partition is not mounted early enough. But I still
> > > don't know how to solve the problem. How to Place default.hv in 
> > > "NANDFLASH"
> > > partition?
> > 
> > Review the hive based registry settings in PB Help.  You also might want to 
> > load the nk.bin into Visual Studio, this will allow you to easily review the 
> > boot hive to determine if you have everything that you need to mount your 
> > nand flash and use it as storage for hive registry.
> > 
> > Also, you will need to set the environment variable PRJ_ENABLE_FSREGHIVE 
> > otherwise the hive goes into RAM.
> > 
> > -- 
> > Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
> > Senior Engineer
> > Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
> > My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman
> > 
> > Eurotech Inc.
> > www.Eurotech.com
> > 
> > "Eric_Ma" <EricMa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> > news:DFD63B0B-3211-4C19-A306-3DA4EA6EB733@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi,
> > > The CE6 BSP from supplier supports ROM-Only file system, XIP, Hive-based
> > > Registry. It works fine on my board.
> > > But we are reuiqred to support ROM and RAM file system, XIP, Hive-based
> > > Registry.
> > > After some modifications, ROM and RAM file system is working now. All
> > > folders are in RAM, except Windows folder. But I have two problems, don't
> > > know how to solve them:
> > > 1. After system boots up, only My Device icon and Recyle Bin icon appears 
> > > on
> > > desktop. IE icon, Word Pad icon, and other MS shortcut icons are not
> > > displayed. Program folder is empty. I remember I can see all the wince 
> > > icons
> > > in CE5 (ROM and RAM file system). Where is wrong in my configuration?
> > > 2. The NAND Flash is divided into two partitions. BinFS partition for
> > > Windows files. exFAT partition is mounted, and name it as "NANDFlash". In
> > > order to implement Hive Registry (all registry setting will be lost after
> > > restart for now), I want to place default.hv into "NANDFlash". I set it as
> > > follow,
> > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init\BootVars]
> > >      "SystemHive"="NANDFLASH\\default.hv"
> > >        "Flags"=dword:3
> > >        "RegistryFlags"=dword:1 ; aggressive flush
> > > But I found a folder named with "NANDFLASH" is created in RAM, and
> > > default.hv is in it. The original "NANDFLASH" partition is renamed as
> > > "NANDFLASH2" by OS. I suspect maybe this is caused by a reversed loading
> > > sequence - "NANDFLASH" partition is not mounted early enough. But I still
> > > don't know how to solve the problem. How to Place default.hv in 
> > > "NANDFLASH"
> > > partition?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Eric 
> > 
> > 
> > .
> > 
0
Utf
6/7/2010 11:23:41 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Backup process sets file to read only
When I do a backup from Money 2004 Deluxe it tags the resultant backup file as read only. This is fine the very first time the backup is made; however, on subsequent backups, the application hangs due to the write protection. If I make sure I clear the read only attribute prior to backing up, it works fine. Anyway of not having money mark the backup file as read only? You should NEVER EVER use the same file for backing up. Use a cycle of media and file names. I use "yyyymmdd Backup" as my filenames. You can do this by checking the "prompt me" box in Tools > O...

Explorer file selection issues
Didn't see a Windows 7 group, I'm guessing this issue is NOT limited to just the 64 bit Windows 7 OS. My issue, in XP you could look at a DETAILS view of your files in Windows Explorer. You could sort those files by TYPE. I would then look for my data files type, select certain files while holding my control key. Then I would resort the list by NAME. This allows me to select MY_CUST_DATA.DAT but then resort the list and see there is also a MY_CUST_DATA.BAK, MY_CUST_DATA.IDX, MY_CUST_DATA.IMG. I could then go on and (still holding my control key) select the additio...

delete files
I want to be able to look at office files (as in My Computer, Explore on my pc) so I can move files around, delete them, etc. Using Find doesn't accomplish this easily. On 10/20/04 4:43 PM, "gramjg" wrote: > I want to be able to look at office files (as in My Computer, Explore > on my pc) so I can move files around, delete them, etc. Using Find > doesn't accomplish this easily. You just recently switched to a Mac? On a Mac, Finder is the equivalent of Windows Explorer. Find File is the program that searches the hard drive. Usually I sort files by opening up ...

SLOW closing of excel files
Hi all; Got an issue with Excel 97 taking "forever" to close files either locally or via the network. Same file opened and closed in Excel 2000 closes quickly. Has anyone experienced this slow closing within Excel 97? Any ideas would be appreicated. Thanks, Steve Hi Steve does this happen on the same computer (Excel 97 / 2000)? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Steve wrote: > Hi all; > > Got an issue with Excel 97 taking "forever" to close files > either locally or via the network. > > Same file opened and closed in Excel 2000 closes ...

Specific Nand Flash Partition for Hive
Hello, I'm new on the winCE6.0 development and have some problems on this. I'd like to know if a specific Nand Flash Partition for hive can be achieved or not. My client wants me to have a specific 20MB partition for hive registries and rest of the memory can be freely used by the applications. Apart from this, the names for the partitioned drives is numbered automatically - "NandFlash", "NandFlash 2", "NandFlash 3". Where can I change this? I can only change the folder name (NandFlash) by modifying platform.reg but not the number. ...

File attachments #4
When Attaching a file such as a JPG, the receipant is getting a DAT format file and not the JPG while using Outlook in the HTML format mode. When in the Plain Text mode, the same file attachment passes as a JPG and is not changed. What can I do to attach JPG files in the HTML format mode of Outlook and not get them changed? are you sure you are using HTML and not RTF? RTF will cause it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/o...

Save a XLR file as an excel file?
I recently upgraded from ME to XP. In the process my XLR files were transfered to XP and I loaded Excel. I now want to convert the XLR files to Excel and do not have the XLR program anymore just the files. Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks For your help Excel can read files from Works 2.0, but no later versions. The normal procedure is to open them in Works and save in Excel format. So your options are to get hold of a copy of Works and do that, buy a converter (Conversions Plus, $70, from www.dataviz.com will handle through Works v 4.5) or find a friend with Works or Conversions...

How to delete virtual CD-ROM drive?
Hello! I have created a virtual CD-ROM drive with Instant CD/DVD. But the software doesn't offer a possibility to delete this drive again. If I uninstall the drive in the Device Manager it occurs again if I restart my computer. How can I delete this drive manually? Thank you. if I recall using a similar program a while back, you should be able to "unmount" the virtual drive/disk from within that program then there should be a file on the hard drive that was allocated space for use by the virtual disk, in which case you can delete is or forget abou...

Cannot open old version files
I created 2 documents on my publisher @ home and tried to open them at work to alter & print but am getting a msg that it cannot open files from another version. Can anyone help? How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/en-us -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com <egergolas@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1165332314.211499.263830@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com... >I created 2 documents on my publisher @ home and tried to open them at > work to ...

Insert a hyperlink to a file on network
I am using Outlook 2002, and have trouble inserting a hyperlink to e.g. the file \\server\data files\document file.doc into a HTML message. Everything works fine if I manually exchange the space characters with "%20", which is sometimes quite tedious. Is there a better way (I do not want to attach the file itself)? dOinK >-----Original Message----- >I am using Outlook 2002, and have trouble inserting a hyperlink to e.g. the >file \\server\data files\document file.doc into a HTML message. Everything >works fine if I manually exchange the space characters with &quo...

.pst file
I know that .pst files have a size limit of 2gb, once the file has reached this limit it may start to have problems where you can't open the file in outllok or outlook will hang if its in your folder view while opening outlook. I have a user with a 1.2gb .pst file is having this same problem. I have ran the scanpst.exe to check for any corruption or damage to the file; the file is not corrupted. I created a copy of this file to work with and compress it. The file was compressed as showing 1.01gb on the disk, but this still didn't help. I have found a program that will tr...

Automatic File Saving
Hello, I need a macro that will automatically save an excel file, with a unique file name each time, it would be good if it could put the date and time into the file name. If its not possible to put the date and time into the file name, then just generating a unique file name will be enough. How would I go about doing this ? Regards Stephen -- smoran ------------------------------------------------------------------------ smoran's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27753 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=4729...

Location of Microsoft Access 2003 Custom designed Toolbar file
Where is the Microsoft Access Custom Toolbar (the one I have created icons on) located on the hard drive? What is the actual file name Thanks! There is no particular file. If you create a custom menu/tool bar, then that is contained with the database... The options to complete hide and keep people out of the ms-access interface can easily be done using the tools->start-up options. Using those options allows you to complete hide the ms-access interface (tool bars, database window etc). Also, using these options means you do not have to bother setting up security. Try downloading ...

Missing files
Can somebody tell me what these missing files are,and should I worry about not having them. iecontlcdll,iecontdll,ieuinit.. Also is there a free download for these..... -- lennox lennox wrote: > Can somebody tell me what these missing files are,and should I worry > about not having them. iecontlcdll,iecontdll,ieuinit.. Also is there a > free download for these..... ===================================== Maybe the following articles would be worth a look: Iecontlc.dll Not Found Error Resolution http://tinyurl.com/y6uau8q ......or..... http://pcsupport.about.c...

KB shortcut to switch between files
Hi, I normally use Mac:Excel so am coming to grips with the windows version and have a simple question. If you have a number of different workbooks open, what keyboard shortcut switches from one fileto the another? TIA Jason ___ Hi Jason, You can use Alt + Tab to go through all open applications/files. HTH -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr To email, remove NOSPAM "Jason O" <zeugma@toucanspam.com> wrote in message news:C0631C34.6609%zeugma@toucanspam.com... > Hi, > > I normally use Mac:Excel so am coming to grips with the windows version > and >...

Can anyone tell me how to transfer an Excel file to a Pocket PC?
I have an Ipaq 3850 with pocket excel and pocket word. I need to make a file with passcodes that I can view on my Ipaq. Help? -- "You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want." -- Zig Ziglar If you mean password, then send it to the PDA without a password and then go to Pocket Excel and set the password from there -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "vms" <vms@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:671F901A-BD27-4513-8102-E2B46...

share pst file?
I have a user moving to another position. He wants to create a pst file of old emails to give to his successor. I create the pst with a password, but when I try to open it (via open pst file) from another pc, logged on as another user, I get an access denied error - based on inadequate permissions. Is there any way to get around this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Nancy Note: I'm not running Exchange Server. Why create the PST file with the password if it's just for transition? Leave the password off, that's an unnecessary complication. How are you moving this PST ...

locking a pub file
i made a custome invoice template in publisher how do i lock it so when information is put in it the field cant accidently be changed ...

How do I convert a Publisher file to a color TIFF file?
I can only get it to convert my file into a grayscale TIFF file. In the end I need it to be a jpeg file, but I thought if I could get it to a TIFF file, then I could do the TIFF to jpeg conversion through Photoshop. jkpurdie wrote: > I can only get it to convert my file into a grayscale TIFF file. In the end I > need it to be a jpeg file, but I thought if I could get it to a TIFF file, > then I could do the TIFF to jpeg conversion through Photoshop. a) How are you converting to a TIFF file? File > Save As...? b) What version of Publisher are you using? c) Why do you need to g...

Excel file is too large even after it's empty
I deleted all sheets from my excel file. There are no VB codes associated with the excel file. I only have one sheet, with no data. However, the size of my file is still 2M. When I open an empty excel file, it's size is usually 80K Bytes. Why is my empty file too large? Why would you be concerned about the size of a Supposedly empty workbook. Delete the workbook and start a new one. >-----Original Message----- >I deleted all sheets from my excel file. >There are no VB codes associated with the excel file. >I only have one sheet, with no data. >However, the size of my f...

Mainstone III BSP for CE6 R2: Compat. with Mainstone II h/w?
Does anyone know if running Mainstone III BSP (from CE6 R2) on a Mainstone II should have any issues with DMA, or DMA Interrupts? Shortly after inserting a SDIO WLAN card, the SDHC driver, I see an Assertion failure within SDHC IST thread. (NOTE that same driver works with CE5 BSP for the Mainstone II): 41920 PID:400002 TID:43d000e SDHCIST: Interrupt: 0x00000001 41920 PID:400002 TID:43d000e SDHCIst: MMC_IREG_DATA_TRAN_DONE 41920 PID:400002 TID:43d000e Unknown: DEBUGCHK failed in file C: \WINCE600\PLATFORM\COMMON\SRC\SOC\PXA27X_MS_V1\SDHC\.\SDControl.c at line 1561 ---...

Deleted items size shown on the exchange system manager
Hi all, Due to one store size increase dramatically, I can not figure out why and I add the column deleted items(KB) to the ESM, it shows one user uses over 7GB space on the deleted items. But, When I check the person's outlook and show the folder sise, it only shows 700KB and check the deletem items. I do have mailbox manager tuned on to delete the deleted items everyday at 3:00AM and keep deleted items for 7 days. It happened on some users. some users show over 600 MB deleted items in the ESM. Can anyone point me to the right direction and can not figure out why? We have exc...

Need keywords and index in Office help file. Online help no good
Online help can be annoying unless you know the exact words and phrase to type. If your searching for help and unsure what to type you end up with lots of useless suggestions. It was alot easier to determine what help may be usefull when a person could view and index and keywords based on what you were currently typing in the index box. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this lin...

Excel file downloaded via web
Hi, I downloaded an excel file from an .asp web page internet site. Once in local mode, this strange thing appens: all the cells, that contains data and numbers at video, seem to be empty when I try to edit a formula (e.s. Sum, Sort ...). Office version is the same on all machines (Office 2K sr1 9.0.3821 with no service packs), installed on Win2k Pro SP4.The most strange thing is that on some desktops with WinXP Pro in the same network environment, the file seems to work perfectly. Any suggestions, please? Thanks ...

Unhide a File
Recently I mispalced my flash drive. Today I got a new one and started to copy the files to the new flash drive from where I had backed them up on my hard drive. Instead of moving the one folder with all the files in it, I opened the file and did Edit - Select All. A message came up saying something about there were 2 hidden files that wouldn't transfer. Then I did a Tools - Folder Options - View - Show hidden files and folders - Apply and viewed the files that were hidden. They were Word docus that I had created and stored on the flash drive. I do not remember hiding these f...