Windows Mail/Comcast Error Message

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 
'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 
10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I've been timing out for months and since I primarily use my Crackberry, I 
haven't been too concerned. Now, I'm annoyed and needing incoming and 
outgoing emails on my computer more often than once every 10 times I open or 
synchronize. 

What's the deal?
0
Utf
11/23/2009 4:48:01 AM
windows.vista.mail 2954 articles. 1 followers. Follow

3 Replies
1331 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 35

OK, It's my Antivirus software (Webroot). Is it safe to forego the email 
attachments shield? This must be why I've spent two years not being able to 
open attachments without saving them first. 

Better late than never!!

-- 
VTrain



"VTrain" wrote:

> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 
> 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 
> 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
> 
> I've been timing out for months and since I primarily use my Crackberry, I 
> haven't been too concerned. Now, I'm annoyed and needing incoming and 
> outgoing emails on my computer more often than once every 10 times I open or 
> synchronize. 
> 
> What's the deal?
0
Utf
11/23/2009 5:04:04 AM
Neither attachments nor email bodies should be scanned by your
antivirus. Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for=20
reasons explained here:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

The email scanning function is included in the AV product because all=20
the competitors include it, and it makes for another bullet on the box =
for=20
gullible buyers.

Even Symantec (Norton), the originator of the email scanning concept
admits that it is redundant and unnecessary:

"Is my computer still protected against viruses if I disable Email =
Scanning?
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses=20
that are distributed as email attachments. Norton  AntiVirus =
Auto-Protect=20
scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including =
email=20
and email attachments. Email  Scanning is just another layer on top of =
this.=20
To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep =

Auto- Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you =
have=20
the most recent virus definitions."

The above paragraph is from =
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106=20

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen


"VTrain" <VTrain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message =
news:69C7AB35-3ACB-41F8-B9A4-51CBBFEEA270@microsoft.com...
> OK, It's my Antivirus software (Webroot). Is it safe to forego the =
email=20
> attachments shield? This must be why I've spent two years not being =
able to=20
> open attachments without saving them first.=20
>=20
> Better late than never!!
>=20
> --=20
> VTrain
>=20
>=20
>=20
> "VTrain" wrote:
>=20
>> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', =
Server:=20
>> 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, =
Socket Error:=20
>> 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>>=20
>> I've been timing out for months and since I primarily use my =
Crackberry, I=20
>> haven't been too concerned. Now, I'm annoyed and needing incoming and =

>> outgoing emails on my computer more often than once every 10 times I =
open or=20
>> synchronize.=20
>>=20
>> What's the deal?
0
Gary
11/23/2009 6:04:25 AM

"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" wrote:

> Neither attachments nor email bodies should be scanned by your
> antivirus. Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for 
> reasons explained here:
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm
> 
> The email scanning function is included in the AV product because all 
> the competitors include it, and it makes for another bullet on the box for 
> gullible buyers.
> 
> Even Symantec (Norton), the originator of the email scanning concept
> admits that it is redundant and unnecessary:
> 
> "Is my computer still protected against viruses if I disable Email Scanning?
> Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses 
> that are distributed as email attachments. Norton  AntiVirus Auto-Protect 
> scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email 
> and email attachments. Email  Scanning is just another layer on top of this. 
> To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep 
> Auto- Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have 
> the most recent virus definitions."
> 
> The above paragraph is from http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2002111812533106 
> 
> -- 
> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen
> 
> 
> "VTrain" <VTrain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69C7AB35-3ACB-41F8-B9A4-51CBBFEEA270@microsoft.com...
> > OK, It's my Antivirus software (Webroot). Is it safe to forego the email 
> > attachments shield? This must be why I've spent two years not being able to 
> > open attachments without saving them first. 
> > 
> > Better late than never!!
> > 
> > -- 
> > VTrain
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > "VTrain" wrote:
> > 
> >> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 
> >> 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 
> >> 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
> >> 
> >> I've been timing out for months and since I primarily use my Crackberry, I 
> >> haven't been too concerned. Now, I'm annoyed and needing incoming and 
> >> outgoing emails on my computer more often than once every 10 times I open or 
> >> synchronize. 
> >> 
> >> What's the deal?
> .
> 
0
Utf
11/23/2009 12:07:02 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

MMC error on opening exchange system manager
I get an error when opening: MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It is recommended that you shut down and restart MMC. then I click to report or continue, if continue it opens up but you cant get into anything, in the right bigger window it says MMC could not create snap-in. The snap-in might have not been installed correctly. Name: Exchange System CLSID: 1b600aea-10ba-11d2-9f28-00c04fa37610 It has been working for a month fine, HELP! ...

when I log off my PC I get this OE error
Hi, I've noticed over the last few weeks that when I shut down my PC for the night I get a "end task" dialog and the title says something about Outlook Express folder sync. Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this issue. thanks nobody wrote: > Hi, > I've noticed over the last few weeks that when I shut down my PC for the > night I get a "end task" dialog and the title says something about Outlook > Express folder sync. > > Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this issue. > > thanks > > If you have your anti vi...

ASP Files not working windows VISTA IIS..
Hi..please advice how do i run asp files in my localhost and i'm using windows vistasundar ...

reinstalling windows
windows has become corrupted. when i have attempted to reinstall windows the set up screen tells me " the file cmdide.sys is corrupted. press any key to continue". at the bottom of the screen it says " setup failed". do i need to format the disc so that i can reinstall windows and if so, how do i do it? thanks, mike mikalle wrote: > windows has become corrupted. when i have attempted to reinstall windows the > set up screen tells me " the file cmdide.sys is corrupted. press any key to > continue". at the bottom of the screen it says &qu...

Windows live mail
My windows live mail account will not send or recieve any messages. Every time I attempt to send an email. I get this message... windows cannot send this message you need a digital id, this message is not encrypted. I have tried to download a program for a digital id but this has not solved the problem. Dew "Dew" wrote: > My windows live mail account will not send or recieve any messages. Every > time I attempt to send an email. I get this message... windows cannot send > this message you need a digital id, this message is not encrypted. I have >...

Linker Errors
Hi Guys, After I changed my WINVER, _WIN32_WINNT, and _WIN32_WINDOWS all to 0x501, in order to get access to PrintWindow, I get a bunch of linker errors that have stummped me. It says it can't find _xGetMonitorInfo, _xMonitorFromWindow, and _xGetSystemMetrics. I suspect that I have to update my SDK, here is the question, if I'm using VS2003, can I update my SDK to get rid of this problem? AliR. AliR wrote: > Hi Guys, > > After I changed my WINVER, _WIN32_WINNT, and _WIN32_WINDOWS all to 0x501, in > order to get access to PrintWindow, I get a...

Windows Vista
Not sure whats going on, but when I opened Windows Mail this afternoon I decided not to send any emails and generates the message :- The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test 1', Account: 'pop.123-reg.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.123-reg.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E I had this a few weeks ago and on going into account properties and clicking on and off the various Connection tick boxes, the problem cleared. However this time there is no change. Any Ideas ?? Submitted via EggHeadCafe -...

open windows
How do I close ALL open windows w/ ONE click Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums "kotus" wrote in message news:%23QO5zHhnKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > How do I close ALL open windows w/ ONE click > If you can tolerate an extra click, you can right-click the group of windows in your task bar > Close group Otherwise you'd probably need a mini-app that with a desktop shortcut that does what you want. -- Jon On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:58:46 -0800, kotus wrote: > How do I close ALL open windows w/ ONE...

Outlook email won't print from open message
Hi, Wonder if anybody has any idea how to deal with this one. Can't find anything in the knowledge base about this specific error. When an email message is opened in Outlook, choosing File + Print results in the following error message: Function address 0x77fcdf2a caused a protection fault. (exception code 0xc0000005) Some or all property page(s) may not be displayed. It does print from the print command when accessed directly from the header with a right click on the menu. In addition, since this problem cropped up, the same happens during some printing functions in IE 6 and wit...

Windows pdate Status: Failed
Hi, This is my problem: http://yfrog.com/1fupdatekj So, how can I manage to install this update? I am using Acer Laptop with its own Vista and HP LP2275w monitor. Thanks in advance. Koray For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY (and/or 1-866-234-6020) in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB9999...

[Beta] Zero Search Results Message
I just conducted a search - it happens a lot these days, because I can't readily find anything at all with this crazy sortiment - and this was the result: http://cid-275b34cd4fcbe487.office.live.com/self.aspx/Screenshots/WLMail^_Beta^_No^_Search^_Results.PNG (if that works). Anyway, the message told me that no items matched my search and advised me thus: "On the 'View' menu, point to 'Current View', and then click 'Show all messages'." I'm lost in the jungle again. -- Noel "Ildhund" wrote in message news:#iRSdBDNLHA.1172@TK2MSFTN...

CRM 1.2 on SBS 2003: External Error. No Such Object on Server
Users cannot get to CRM via WEB. They would get error box: No Such Object on Server. I got this from Event Viewer: MSCRM Platform Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: There is no such object on the server. Error Message: There is no such object on the server. Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Source File: Not available Line Number: Not available Stack Trace Info: at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()...

Unknown 12029 while using window.ActiveXObject & window.XMLHttpRequest
Hi, I am using the following code in my .jsp file for request to, and get a response from a web server - without reloading the page. But this code is working if i will use http://localhost:8080/.../xxx.jsp. But if i will call remotely like http://12.12.12.1111:8080/.../xxx.jsp it's throwing "Unknown 12029" Exception. Kindly let me know what changes i should do. Plz explain me detailly on this. // code for Mozilla, Netscape, etc... if (window.XMLHttpRequest) { req=new XMLHttpRequest() req.onreadystatechange=state_Change req.open("GET",urlT,true) ...

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7
I have Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit) and Office 2003 Pro. I setup my POP3 e-mail account and was able to send and receive mail once. I setup a second POP3 account and neither will work. I installed Outlook 2007 with the same result. From what I have read, the 32 bit OS does not have this problem. So far, no one has been able to come up with a work around for this. Any help will be appreciated. Its nothing to do with win32/64 When you test the accounts within Outlook, you should if theres a problem see some relevent err msgs "ernie146nn" <ernie146nn@discussions...

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords
When I use Windows Explorer to navigate and search through my files (using the View - choose details - keywords and other selections) I can't see the keywords - even though they are part of the file (can view in file properties). I can see the Author, Title, Subject, Category, Comments - everything that is in the file properties except keywords. Is there a setting I'm not selecting? -- David C. Beveridge -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > When I use Windows Explorer to navigate and search through my files (using > the View - choose details - keywords a...

Error handler help
Hello, I have a buttin on my form that takes me to the precious record. If I go back to far it gives me a 2105 error. I Wanted to have a custom mesage and an ok button but I cant get it to work. It still opens the error window insted of a msg box. here is what I have Private Sub cmdPrevious_Click() On Error GoTo Err_MyErr DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acPrevious Exit_MyErr: Exit Sub Err_MyErr: If Err.Number <> 2105 Then MsgBox "Custom Test Message" End If Resume Exit_MyErr End Sub -- Thanks, Chad Err_MyErr: If Err.Number <>...

Receiving multiple copies of same mail
Can someone tell me why I would be receiving multiple copies of certain emails. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Dave Dave, I dont know. However I have just posted more or less the same question. Lets keep in touch if either of us get a useful reply James >-----Original Message----- >Can someone tell me why I would be receiving multiple copies of certain >emails. > >Thanks in advance for your suggestions. > >Dave > > >. > Have you tried choosing the File option from the menu bar in the Outlook program. Down in the list (you may have to expan...

Error message trying to recover deleted items
User receives the following error going into 'Recover Deleted Items', then Outlook closes: OUTLOOK.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. Any ideas? Let me know. Thanks. ...

windows 98 computer, running Office 2000, I deleted Outlook.pst thru windows explorer.
Please help, Outlook stoped recieving emails and said the problem was the Outlook.pst file. 1st. I tried reloading Office 2000 "did not help" 2nd. I deleted the Outlook.pst file on my windows 98 Computer running Office 2000 thru windows explorer The file was too large for the recycle bin and I chose delete. 3rd. Then I tried re installing office 2000 again and it did not reinstall the "outlook.pst file" Now I know that all my emails were in that .pst I have tried FINAL DATA 2.0 recovery software thru another hard drive and had no success finding the .pst file, where ...

filtering a mailing list
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) How do you filter a mailing list by zip code? Autofilter. If you can't be bothered to type a detailed question, we can't be bothered to type a detailed answer :-) On 7/03/10 12:23 PM, in article 59bb412f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "tcmetrock@officeformac.com" <tcmetrock@officeformac.com> wrote: > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) How do you filter a mailing list by > zip code? This email is my business email -- Please do not email me about forum matters unless you intend to pay! -- J...

difference between window dimensions and window client area dimensions
I need to find the difference between window dimensions and window client area dimensions for an SDI application. Currently I'm using the brute force method: CRect clientRect; GetClientRect(&clientRect); CRect mainRect; GetWindowRect(&mainRect); int frameExtraX = mainRect.Width() - clientRect.Width(); int frameExtraY = mainRect.Height() - clientRect.Height(); This is ugly and doesn't always work, so I would like to get frameExtraX and frameExtraY from some kind of system metrics values. Thank you! You've already said the magic words "system metrics&q...

How to stop inbound mail sent from invalid domains
I'm aware of senderID in Exch2003 SP2. I'm also aware that this does not solve my problem. We are getting hammered with spam...sent from fnord. Example: FROM: sdlkfjsd@udududud.tuuuu TO: ValidUser@MyCompany.com I understand that senderID is used to stop forgery (if the world+dog added SFP info to DNS zone and they have not yet) but SenderID goes above and beyond what I'm looking for...I'm asking for something more basic. How to I get exchange to drop email sent such that the server email address's domain is totally bogus? (Forget SPF records...the domain does not eve...

Organising mails
I am trying to organise mails in outlook such that messages sent to me but not replied are shown up in a seperate color. I am able to set mails to me to be dispalyed in a different color (Tools --> Organise --> Using Colors) but am unable to set both "replied" & "mails to me" condition. Not sure if you can check the reply status of a mail item "attaboy" <attaboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16E41417-D234-4C19-A1B2-7C0E13598C15@microsoft.com... >I am trying to organise mails in outlook such that messages sent to me but...

Quick Campaign error 02-15-06
When creating a quick campaign, the last step is to distribute the campaign activities to the different contacts, i get the following error. "you do not have enough priviliges to access the Microsoft CRM object or perform the requested operation. Contact your system admin." User is crm admin. No logging in the event viewer + no difference when dev error are turned on in webconfig file. Any ideas? "Frederic @ Traviata" wrote: > When creating a quick campaign, the last step is to distribute the > campaign activities to the different contacts, i get the following...

Windows recovery console
How can I stop Windows Recovery Console coming up at Windows startup. There are a number of StartUp folders and none of them list WRC In news:%23qYZva4QLHA.4960@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, tatar typed on Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:20:08 +0100: > How can I stop Windows Recovery Console coming up at Windows startup. > There are a number of StartUp folders and none of them list WRC You have added the Windows Recovery Console to your HDD? Anyway to change the default boot OS all you need to do is: Control Panel System Advanced (tab) Startup and Recovery (Settings) Default operatin...