username and password request

Yesterday I began getting a request for my username and password.  After I enter them it pops up again.  I have a second Windows Mail account on this computer and it works.  I have searched through Google for a fix and anything suggested has no effect.  I downloaded Windows Live Mail and the same thing happened.  I tried to install Outlook and the same thing happened.  I contacted ATT and they do not support Windows Mail anymore.  I dont' have any idea if this is an ATT problem, a Windows Mail problem, a Vista problem or if I have a virus.  A lot of information I found said antivirus programs can cause this.  I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials a week or so ago but my email worked after that.  Does anyone have an idea as to what to try next?

vista2349

Test your password by logging in to your provider's webmail.
If that works, it proves you have the correct username and password.
A likely reason for the username/password failing in Windows Mail is
account corruption. One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is
to delete that corrupted mail account, restart Windows Mail, then
recreate that account.

Which antivirus were running prior to uninstalling it?
If either Norton or McAfee antivirus programs were ever installed on that
computer, even a free trial, you must use the special debris removal tools
for those programs.

If the problem continues:
When you get that repeated prompt for username and password, click Cancel,
which should then produce an error message. Right-click on your error message,
copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting without
the complete error message.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"vista2349" wrote in message news:OEcBUnUILHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

Yesterday I began getting a request for my username and password.  After I enter them it pops up again.  I have a second
Windows Mail account on this computer and it works.  I have searched through Google for a fix and anything suggested has no
effect.  I downloaded Windows Live Mail and the same thing happened.  I tried to install Outlook and the same thing
happened.  I contacted ATT and they do not support Windows Mail anymore.  I dont' have any idea if this is an ATT
problem, a Windows Mail problem, a Vista problem or if I have a virus.  A lot of information I found said antivirus programs
can cause this.  I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials a week or so ago but my email worked after that.  Does
anyone have an idea as to what to try next?

Gary
7/11/2010 11:28:40 PM
I have a similar problem. Started out asking for username and password
repeatedly; now will not download mail at all, even tho it says it is
receiving mail from the server.  AT&T says this is a Windows Mail issue which
they do not support. They gave me the fee-based Support Plus number:
1-800-294-3464. However, I haven't called bc it costs money.

"vista2349" wrote:

> Yesterday I began getting a request for my username and password.  After I enter them it pops up again.  I have a second Windows Mail account on this computer and it works.  I have searched through Google for a fix and anything suggested has no effect.  I downloaded Windows Live Mail and the same thing happened.  I tried to install Outlook and the same thing happened.  I contacted ATT and they do not support Windows Mail anymore.  I dont' have any idea if this is an ATT problem, a Windows Mail problem, a Vista problem or if I have a virus.  A lot of information I found said antivirus programs can cause this.  I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials a week or so ago but my email worked after that.  Does anyone have an idea as to what to try next?
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums
> .

Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with
Windows Mail over time. Make sure it is not configured to scan emails.

Since the account is probably corrupted, delete that account, restart
Windows Mail, then recreate the account.

"Vistanana"  wrote in message news:425A1E97-7940-4E96-86C9-6A068E5DECFE@microsoft.com...

I have a similar problem. Started out asking for username and password
repeatedly; now will not download mail at all, even tho it says it is
receiving mail from the server.  AT&T says this is a Windows Mail issue which
they do not support. They gave me the fee-based Support Plus number:
1-800-294-3464. However, I haven't called bc it costs money.

0
Gary
7/12/2010 4:46:04 PM
I also had this happen starting last night. It would simply keep asking for
the same info and I would get an error message in Windows mail if I did a
send/receive. It went away and has worked correctly after I went to Google
gmail and signed in. I viewed the mail. After a minute, the one I had been
trying to send in Windows mail appeared. I then logged out. Windows mail has
worked from then on.

Retrive Password
Hai, We are developing a web application in asp.net which will internally connect to Great plains, for that we need to retrive user details(mainly passoword). Please give me steps/suggestions how to retrive those details. -- thanks Rani Use the retrieveglobals.dll. See wan example of this in the next post down from yours. :) "rani" wrote: > Hai, > We are developing a web application in asp.net which will internally connect > to Great plains, for that we need to retrive user details(mainly passoword). > Please give me steps/suggestions how to retrive those deta...

Requesting data from MS Exchange Server
Outlook 2002 locks up and displays the following message: "Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server "(name of server)", You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Why is this happening, and what can I do to prevent? Something is slowing down data transfer between your Exchange server and Outlook - either the Exchange server is very busy or there's some network problem. Contact your system administrator to see if something can be done about it. -- Jeff Stephenson Outl...

username and password
When sending a series of newsletters to hundreds of customers using mail merge, I often have the problem of being asked for a username and password, which I supply, but it still doesn't work. I have to delete the user account and reinstall it. Then everything works fine again. Is there some reason why this occurs? Depends on the mail account you are using. Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook? Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part o...

Outlook and Password Frustration
I have tried everything, but i can't find any discussion on microsoft's site. i read abotu the problems all over the internet, but i can't find if MS has adressed the problem. i have xp home, and office xp. i continually get stupid "enter network password" boxes when i have saved the password a million times. this is killling me because i have it set to check my servers every 2 minutes b/c of the quick responses req'd by my business. but, it won't check because everytime it does, it asks for my password. PLEASE HELP! thanks jake ...

Outlook XP forgot personal folder password
I have a user that forgot her password for her Personal folders. We are using an exchange server. Is there any workaround to access her personal folders when the password can not be entered? Gary <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a user that forgot her password for her Personal > folders. We are using an exchange server. Is there any > workaround to access her personal folders when the > password can not be entered? http://www.computerhope.com/download/updates/pst19upg.zip -- Brian Tillman ...

Assign Password to Button
How do I assign a password to a button in excel? Thanks, Mark It isn't clear what you mean. You can't set up a command button such that you need a password to click it. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Mark" <mpeard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:ey2JoVRfGHA.4880@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > How do I assign a password to a button in excel? > > Thanks, > > Mark Hi Mark, Try something like: '=============>> Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() Dim res As Va...

changing system password in EPM front and backend database server
I have implemented EPM in my company .with two server installation . One is front end and second is backend . and during installation of all tools i have used domain id and password . now i want to change that password . changing of password will effect at any working of EPM tools and will create any problems ? kindly reply me soon. -- Regards Basim Khalid Alvi Infrastructure Consultant MCP,MCTS,MCITP,Microsoft Enterprise Project Manager Hi Basim, To change service account details (I am assuming Project Server 2007) you will need to change the details for a nu...

password #24
I have Outlook 2000. I can't get OUTLOOK to retain the passwords. I will go into Tools...Accounts...Properties..Passwords, then enter the password, check remember password, but it doesn't remember my password. What is up? Dave ...

With Execute As <username>
I can create a proc, or a trigger, which specify "with execute as <username>". Is it possible to create a View likewise - so it always executes as a nominated user? Or can I run dynamic SQL which will execute as a nominated user? I suspect not, but I thought I'd ask the experts! Thanks Barry According to my BOL 2008, EXECUTE, when executing a string, has an AS clause for security: Execute a character string { EXEC | EXECUTE } ( { @string_variable | [ N ]'tsql_string' } [ + ...n ] ) [ AS { LOGIN | USER } = ' name ' ]...

Password #30
Been using Money 6 for a while, need to take computer in for some work and would like to make Money start with a password, can I set the program up to do this? Thanks........ Haven't seen Money 6 for a loooong time, but the usual place for a password set/unset is in the File menu. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Tim Smith" <smitty064@comcast.net> wrote in message news:6N-dnfWzfqN8yWPbnZ2dn...

Work Request Template
I am in need of a good templete for staff to use when they need to request a Report (Crystal) or Map (MapInfo). It needs to include the location of data to be used for the report, purpose of the report, time needed, etc. Does anyone know of a good one before I start trying to create one? I have looked at the MS Templates and connot locate one for this. TIA -- John C. Harris, MPA JCZ Consulting Services, LLC ...

Outlook 2003: Meeting Request not in calendar until the next day
One of my firm's secretaries sent an appointment to three fairly important people a few days ago, but in the case of one person, it did not appear as an appointment in his calendar until a full day had passed. Luckily, the secretary spotted that while checking his Outlook calendar for something else, but it could have been disatrous as it was an important meeting. We use Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003. I have checked the message tracking on the Exchange server, and according to the logs, it was delivered immediately, so I don't understand why it took so long to appear in his calendar. ...

How do I enable OWA 2003 change password faclility.
Guys, Is there a way one can enable the password change facility on OWA 2003 running on Exchange 2003? I need to make this work so that users connecting through OWA can change their account passwords. Thanks -- Buchi Hi Buchi, The information is outlined in the following Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297121 Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "Buchi" <Buchi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9EB7ADB-024B-43A7-87BB-0FD2587892D4@microsoft.com...

The requested operation is forbidden: ID No. c1030af1
I get this error when i try to enable mail from Public Folders in Exchange System Manager. Anyone have a solution to this? XADM: Error Message: "The Requested Operation Is Forbidden" http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313721 -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "Joe" <jjerebic@shaw.ca> wrote in mess...

Password Protecting Cells
Can you protect different cells in a workbook with different passwords? For example, we have different departments that complete particular sections of a spreadsheet and we would like to be able to password protect each departments section with a different password. Thanks, Bernie J. Gord Dibben has some code here that can be modified: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversation.aspx?messageid=32445330&threadid=32445325 Where Gord unlocks columns, you might unlock ranges. Example: Case Is = "Steve": Range("A3:B30").Cells.Locked = False Note that that Gord did not...

old password usable after a password change
Hi, Good day to all. I have an ADAM synchronising its proxy-user from an AD. After changing password in an XP client logon to the AD(restart or without restart), both the old and new passwords can still be used to LDP into the ADAM. 1. Though there are many DCs in my AD, replication is ruled out - as the phenomenon remains after a force replication on all the DCs. 2. AD-ADAM sync is also ruled out as I after performing a manual synchronisation (via the XML stuffs), the symtom persists. In addition, it is a proxy-user, so authentication is refered to the AD DCs, r...

username and password request
Yesterday I began getting a request for my username and password.&nbsp; After I enter them it pops up again.&nbsp; I have a second Windows Mail account on this computer and it works.&nbsp; I have searched through Google for a fix and anything suggested has no effect.&nbsp; I downloaded Windows Live Mail and the same thing happened.&nbsp; I tried to install Outlook and the same thing happened.&nbsp; I contacted ATT and they do not support Windows Mail anymore.&nbsp; I dont' have any idea if this is an ATT problem, a Windows Mail problem, a Vista problem or if I h...

Password protection/validation in excel 2000
Hi, I've been struggling with a solution and wondered if anyone here ha a clever idea. I have a spreadsheet for which in one of the corners lists the name o the person who wrote the sheet. I would like to protect the cell wher it gives credit to the author so that it cannot be changed or deleted. I'd like to do something like this: password protect the cell with th name of the author, and use non-password protection on the rest of th sheet. It is okay for the user to unprotect, but I don't want them t take out the author cell. I have tried to use validation on the cell and al...

Deny Request for Message Read Notification
I want to know if it's possible to setup my Outlook to deny another user's preference to send a email read receipt. Thanks Joseph Scalise <jscalise@advantageccs.org> wrote: > I want to know if it's possible to setup my Outlook to deny another > user's preference to send a email read receipt. Usually settings on Tools>Options>E-mail Options>Tracking Options will do the job. -- Brian Tillman If using Exchange, then no. But it is version dependent for Outlook as to whether you can deny for Internet mail. Post your version for the proper answer...

password prompts
I have Outlook 2002. I use Windows XP. I can find no instructions on how to get the system to accept my password. The prompt keeps coming up. I don't have it set to internet email only or corporate use. How can I correct the problem? Hi Scott, Important This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in th...

How to reset the Password?
Hi All, I have an issue that is we have a exchange server and clients are accessing through OWA(outlook web access).When ths clients are try to change the password they are getting the page as page cannt be displayed. Can anyone pls help me on that...... Thanks in advance Ram http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=186863 Talks about " XWEB: Unable to Change Password Using OWA" For more information you can get in touch with me at arorarahul2000@hotmail.com Rahul "Ram" wrote: > Hi All, > > I have an issue that is we have a exchange server and cl...

Outlook .pst password
One co-worker of mine tinkered around with his copy and Outlook 2002 and my boss's, importing and exporting .pst files, and here is the end result: My boss used to have Outlook ask for her password before it would open up her personal folder. Now it just opens up without any password login. Also, when you go to the datafile section to try to change the password, the old password doesn't work anymore. How can I safely reset it without trashing her .pst file and my job ? Please help -- this is my first week on the job! thanks, steve ...

MS Money
Help.....I have just bought a new laptop with Vista installed and I am trying to run MS Money 2000, but every time I try to do a restore or run the .mny database file it does not recognise the password. I have even tried removing the MS Money password from my existing XP PC and can run the program fine on XP. As soon as I copy this to Vista it still requests a password and I am therefore unable to pen the contents. Are there incompatability issues with Vista and MS Money 2000? Any clues out there? And you are 110% sure that you NEVER ONCE upgraded to a version past M2K, I'm bett...

Win 7 UAC and Passwords
About to take delivery of a new Win7 box and I'm curious about assigning passwords I found this page http://unixwiz.net/techtips/win7-limited-user.html Which includes an interesting paragraph Curiously enough, it's not always necessary to have a password on an account. Since an account with a blank password cannot be accessed over the network, you can substantially reduce the attack surface of a machine this way. But this requires that you have good control of physical security over the machine: if there are users on the machine (or in the environment) who are ...