Transfering messages

I want to transfer all my messages from one PC running Vista to another
running Win7 which I have Windows Mail running on. However, I have two
problems:

1. On transferring some of the transferred folders contain the full message,
some only contain what you might call place holders e.g my transferred Inbox
has 'From' with a list of 30 or so messages but just shows an envelop and
the date and time but no message

2. Is there away to transfer attachments too?

--
Ron

0
Ron

See the relevant section here http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

0
mac
1/4/2010 5:40:45 PM
" mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message

> See the relevant section here http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx
>

> --
> Regards Steve.
> MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.
> http://www.getsafeonline.org/
Thanks will give that a go ...... once I've got my head around it :-)

Ron

0
Ron
1/4/2010 6:24:09 PM
You have Windows Mail running on a Win7 computer?

Ron O'Brien wrote:
> I want to transfer all my messages from one PC running Vista to another
> running Win7 which I have Windows Mail running on. However, I have two
> problems:
>
> 1. On transferring some of the transferred folders contain the full
> message,
> some only contain what you might call place holders e.g my transferred
> Inbox
> has 'From' with a list of 30 or so messages but just shows an envelop and
> the date and time but no message
>
> 2. Is there away to transfer attachments too?

0
PA
1/4/2010 7:46:14 PM
1.a. Which hacks did you use to get WM to run on Win7?
1.b. Exactly how did you transfer the messages?

2. Each attachment is an integral part of its parent message.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Ron O'Brien" <castcall@ntlworld.com> wrote in message =
>I want to transfer all my messages from one PC running Vista to another =

> running Win7 which I have Windows Mail running on. However, I have two =

> problems:
>=20
> 1. On transferring some of the transferred folders contain the full =
message,=20
> some only contain what you might call place holders e.g my transferred =
Inbox=20
> has 'From' with a list of 30 or so messages but just shows an envelop =
and=20
> the date and time but no message
>=20
> 2. Is there away to transfer attachments too?
>=20
> --=20
> Ron=20

0
Gary
1/5/2010 4:13:56 AM
It was easy, you simply copy the windows mail folder contents from the Vista
PC to the Win7 PC you will be asked for permissions to take ownership, do
that and away you go - there are instructions for this all over the 'net.

Message transfer was via the 'Export Messages' routine within WinMail, then
import them

Ron

"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
1.a. Which hacks did you use to get WM to run on Win7?
1.b. Exactly how did you transfer the messages?

2. Each attachment is an integral part of its parent message.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

Ron
1/5/2010 10:35:05 AM
I'm aware of the hacks, having been the first one to post them here.
Just wanted to make sure you were on the right track.
Additional hacks are available for making WM respond properly to
clicks on web page MailTo links.

To what media (thumb drive?) did you export the messages?=20
WM often has issues with exporting/importing to/from external media.
So you must always use a folder on your hard drive as an intermediary =
step.

If you still have access to WM in Vista, consider using this free third =
party utility:
http://www.staticbackup.com/windows-mail-backup/
http://www.staticbackup.com/products.htm#swmbf

> It was easy, you simply copy the windows mail folder contents from the =
Vista=20
> PC to the Win7 PC you will be asked for permissions to take ownership, =
do=20
> that and away you go - there are instructions for this all over the =
'net.
>=20
> Message transfer was via the 'Export Messages' routine within WinMail, =
then=20
> import them
>=20
> Ron
>=20
>=20
> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message=20
> 1.a. Which hacks did you use to get WM to run on Win7?
> 1.b. Exactly how did you transfer the messages?
>=20
> 2. Each attachment is an integral part of its parent message.
>=20
> --=20
> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen
0
Gary

Exchange not attaching scl to messages from external source
Have installed a exchange 2007 server using Trend Interscan as the smtp gateway for virus scanning. I have intended to use exchange IMF to filter spam and have configured it accordingly using the powershell. Internal mail has a scl tag attached to it yet not the case with external messages. Client is not keen on spending extra money on the SPS software for Trend so I am stuck with IMF. Is it a single Exchange Server 2007 server without an Edge server? If that's the case, I'm assuming you have the anti-spam agents installed on the Hub Transport server. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - E...

about transfer order

send messages through POS
I have a client that has 4 stores and HQ and wants to use the feature of sending messages(email) in the pos systems. Are they able to send messages to each other at other stores or this is for local store only. Thanks Dave This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_005E_01CB146B.321738F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dave, Unfortunately, it can only be done with an add-on. Check with Retail = Realm www.retailrealm.co.uk as one who offers one. --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software...

0x800CCC90 error message Outlook 2003
"Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). Server responded: -ERR problem retrieving message. Moved from Outlook 2000 to Outlook 2003 with the purchase of a new computer and trying to set up the email accounts for myself and my wife with our ISP. Set up my wife's account, and she's able to send and receive no problem. I used the exact same setup routine on my account, and ran into "...

Possible to globally set fields in messages views?
I have numerous folders and subfolders in my in-box. I now have Outlook 2003 on WinXP, formerly using Outlook 2000 on Win2k. In neither one can I find a way to either change the e-mail default fields once and for all (in which case I'd want one default for in-coming and another for out-going), or to change existing folders all at once (in which case I'd again want to set all in-box folders one way and all sent folders another way. Is there any way to do this? If so, how? Thanks. -- Bob Bob <xxxx@xxxxx.com> wrote: > I have numerous folders and subfolders in my in-box. I n...

Unencrypted Messages
We receive some email message from our peers in a university setting who do not use Outlook. We are unable to read the body of their email messages. We can read the subject line but that is all. We also received a "Notepad" attachment. Below is the message we received from the university's IT staff "The university server can read your messages, but the university messages to you are not encrypted. Your software, apparently Microscoft Exchange, unencrypts the already unencrypted messages that I send you, transforming the legible to illegible." Any ideas on how to re...

Transfering messages

Can't delete messages from Inbox
OK, I've tried everything mentioned in every article on this subject, and NOTHING works. Some of the messages in my inbox will NOT delete, under any circumstances. I've run Inbox repair (twice!) I've tried emptying the deleted items folder I've tried compacting the file I've tried editing the message before deleting I've tried shift-Del I've tried moving the messages to other folders EVERYTHING results in an error - most say "the messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, try restarting Outlook I've restarted Outlook, rebo...

HR Position Transfers

Incomplete Message
I have a client that is receiving incomplete email messages. Her co-workers receive a complete copy of the email, but not this one user. It doesn't happen all the time, but only to the one user. We have checked the settings on other PC's and everything is set the same. Any ideas of what to check or try? TIA What version of outlook and have you installed all the latest service packs? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Search f...

Policy or registry fix for slow outlook (Instant Messaging Enabled)
I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix the slow outlook opening because of Instant messaging with either a registry fix or group policy.... Thanks! ...

Windows Easy Transfer

Puting bounced messages in a mailbox
Hi everyone. Yesterday we finally migrated off of Exchange 5.5 and now have a running Exchange 2003 server. On the old 5.5 server I set it up so that e-mails that could not be delivered ended up in the Administrator mailbox. If someone sent an e-mail to my company and it was to an invalid e-mail address the bounce would end up in the Administrator Inbox. How do I set that up in Exchange 2003? Thanks for the help. Hi, This should help: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315631 Leif "Corbin O'Reilly" <corbinoreilly@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:ejDbg.76828$J...

Transferring an order to an invoice...

pop-up form/message box problem
I have a main form where records are entered; in one field users select from a list of citations, if they type something that's not on the list, a message box pops up asking if they'd like to add the new citation, when they click "yes" the pop-up form where they enter the citation information opens, no problem. HOWEVER, if they close the pop-up form without entering any data the default Access message " The text you entered isn't an item in the list." appears. How do I prevent that from happening? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmon...

Missing OLE_obj in message
I have a customer who is trying to send an email with a P/O, apparently he attaches an object, and I only receive part of the message. Please see below: REV: N/A SUPPLIER NAME: STORES LOCATION: METHOD OF PURCHASE: <<...OLE_Obj...>> I am using Outlook 2000 from Office 2000, I had him send it to Outlook and to my hotmail account. I get the same results. Any opinions? Thanks ...

Telephone message template
I know that a telephone message template for outlook exists, but I haven't a clue where to find it. Please help! While you were out or another one? look here for a list of forms from MS http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mssampleapps.htm Most, if not all, will work with any version of Outlook. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: h...

Intelligent Message Filter wizard?
I am planning to deploy IMF on my Exchange 2003 mail server. Where is the IMF wizard located at? I cannot seem to find it. I did not know it was an optional add on. Found it. "Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uY8kQ6fOFHA.3660@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >I am planning to deploy IMF on my Exchange 2003 mail server. Where is the >IMF wizard located at? I cannot seem to find it. > On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:43:16 -0700, Allen M wrote: > I am planning to deploy IMF on my Exchange 2003 mail server. Where is the > IMF wizard located at? I canno...

Hide the Loading Image dialog ("Importing" message)
sI have a report with an image control. The report has 2 subreports as well. When the image loads there are 3 instances of the "Loading Image dialog". I understand this message can be avoided with a modification to the registry but that solution is not reasonable in my envitornment. I also do not want to embed the image because of bloat. Is there any other solution to avoid the mesaage or at least have it display once instaed of several times. Thanks in advance Not sure if there is a bettre approach but since my image is in the report footer, I added the following code to the...

TRANSFER OUT TO TRANSFER OUT
I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH RMS FOR OVER A YEAR AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM. STORE A MAKES A TRANSFER OUT AND STORE B RECEIVES A COMPUTER TRANSFER IN THE TRANSFER OUT WINDOW INSTEAD OF A TRANSFER IN. IN ADDITION TO THAT THE TRANSFER HAS BEEN CLOSED AT STORE B'S END AUTOMITICALLY AND IT IS EMPTY. AN KNOWLEDGE AS TO WHY THIS HAPPENS THANKS Check HQ Client for errors, or from HQ Manager, view the event log for that store. You'll probably find some errors at Store B on the 401 that created the transfer. I would guess that Store A used a transfer number with more than 14 c...

Message sent repeatedly
I have a user who sent a simple greeting message to a distribution list that she had created in her contacts. In less than 24 hours, some of the recipients have received the message over 500 times. The user who sent the message has received several thousand NDRs. Many of the NDRs are from mail servers from organizations and ISPs that should not have anything to do with the sender or receiver. I don't know what happened, but at this point I just need to shut off the message. I do not see these messages in the queues. Message tracking only shows one instance of the message being sent...

Fixed Asset transfer for a New Company
Is selling the Fixed Asset to the new company the best option to make a transfer to a new company? Can you give us a little more detail on what you are needing to accomplish? If two companies are different legal entities there are all kinds of other rules on 'transferring' assets. Is this just a new database or are you doing an intercompany transaction? We can help, we just need a little more explanation. "FA user" wrote: > Is selling the Fixed Asset to the new company the best option to make a > transfer to a new company? ...

Exchange Server 2003 not allowing message forwarding to external e
Using SBS 2003 with Exhcange Server 2003. Using Outlook 2003. Created a rule for forward a copy of all mail to my hotmail account. When I process the rule, the mail is not sent. Wondering if by default Exchange blocks forwarding of mail to external accounts. If so, how can I open this up for a specified address? Yes, Exchange 2003 blocks forwards and replies to the Internet by default. Your Exchange admin is a very wise person to leave it this way. Company mail should never end up in Hotmail, Yahoo! mail, or any ISP mail. Let's not get started on mail loops. --� Milly Staple...

Message headers
Does Outlook from Office 2003 block message header information from users of earlier Outlook (2000)? I have a user that sends out jokes all day long and I want to block the jokes, but not all mail from him on the rare chance I get something legit. But his messages have nothing in the "TO" field. mm ...