error message when using windows mail

I am trying to set up my aol email account with Windows Mail.  I keep getting
the following error.  I followed the instructions given by the aol website to
the letter. I don't know what else to do. Help.

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account:
'imap.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Change the outgoing (SMTP) port number from 25 to 587, as per.......
http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess#OE6
These instructions for OE will work for Windows Mail.

Also, make sure "My server requires authentication" is checked.

Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)
Windows 7 Ultimate
http://download.live.com/wlmail
"ms"  wrote in message

I am trying to set up my aol email account with Windows Mail.  I keep
getting
the following error.  I followed the instructions given by the aol website
the letter. I don't know what else to do. Help.

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account:
'imap.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

0
Dave
6/25/2010 11:22:55 PM
 It worked.  Thank you so much!!!! It worked.  If I change the account from
IMAP to POP, will it work now because the port has been changed?

Thank you so much.  I'm so happy!
"Dave N9" wrote:

> Change the outgoing (SMTP) port number from 25 to 587, as per.......
> http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess#OE6
> These instructions for OE will work for Windows Mail.
>
> Also, make sure "My server requires authentication" is checked.
>

> Dave N.
> MS-MVP (Mail)
> Windows 7 Ultimate
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
> "ms"  wrote in message
>
> I am trying to set up my aol email account with Windows Mail.  I keep
> getting
> the following error.  I followed the instructions given by the aol website
> the letter. I don't know what else to do. Help.
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account:
> 'imap.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
> Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> .

To access your account using POP3 instead of IMAP, you will have to setup a
new account in WM.  You just can't change the server.
I'm not sure if AOL still provides POP3 access, but this link shows the
settings....
http://email.about.com/od/accessingaolmail/f/AOL_Mail_POP3_Settings.htm

"Dave N9" wrote:

> Change the outgoing (SMTP) port number from 25 to 587, as per.......
> http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess#OE6
> These instructions for OE will work for Windows Mail.
>
> Also, make sure "My server requires authentication" is checked.
>

> Dave N.
> MS-MVP (Mail)
> Windows 7 Ultimate
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
> "ms"  wrote in message
>
> I am trying to set up my aol email account with Windows Mail.  I keep
> getting
> the following error.  I followed the instructions given by the aol website
> the letter. I don't know what else to do. Help.
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account:
> 'imap.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
> Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> .

0
Dave
6/26/2010 1:31:08 AM
Okay.  Thank you very much for your help.

"Dave N9" wrote:

> To access your account using POP3 instead of IMAP, you will have to setup a
> new account in WM.  You just can't change the server.
> I'm not sure if AOL still provides POP3 access, but this link shows the
> settings....
> http://email.about.com/od/accessingaolmail/f/AOL_Mail_POP3_Settings.htm
>

> Dave N.
> MS-MVP (Mail)
> Windows 7 Ultimate
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> "ms"  wrote in message
>

> It worked.  Thank you so much!!!! It worked.  If I change the account from
> IMAP to POP, will it work now because the port has been changed?
>
> Thank you so much.  I'm so happy!
> "Dave N9" wrote:
>
> > Change the outgoing (SMTP) port number from 25 to 587, as per.......
> > http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess#OE6
> > These instructions for OE will work for Windows Mail.
> >
> > Also, make sure "My server requires authentication" is checked.
> >

> > Dave N.
> > MS-MVP (Mail)
> > Windows 7 Ultimate
> > http://download.live.com/wlmail
> > "ms"  wrote in message
> >
> > I am trying to set up my aol email account with Windows Mail.  I keep
> > getting
> > the following error.  I followed the instructions given by the aol website
> > the letter. I don't know what else to do. Help.
> >
> > The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account:
> > 'imap.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
> > Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10013, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
> >
> > .
> >

> .

Sending entire objects via socket vs primitive message fields
I am using a library called "The Network Development Kit". http://www.codeproject.com/internet/ndk.asp The kit allows me to easily establish client/server connections and assemble "messages" (consisting of strings, integers, etc) to pass back and forth between the client and server. With my initial protocol design, I have been passing data via the primitive data field types (strings, int's, etc). The basic logic flow requires me to: 1) Deconstruct the object and assemble the varying field values into a CNDKMessage. 2) Send that message to the server and reconstruct th...

Setup of Generic Out of office Message office 2003/2007
Hi, Out Communications department want's us to setup a standard out of office message for all mailboxes in the organisation. They want every user to have access to the generic Out of Office message. Is there a way I can create an Outlook template or something that I could give all users to put in their mailbox Out of Office area. thanks -- Kath ...

Excel Progrom Error

can't find RIS services on a windows 2k3 enterprise sp2
Hello from Spain, i was studying RIS (Remote Installation Services) on a windows 2003 enterprise edition servicepack 2 when i realise i couldn't locate the item for installation on the add/remove program dialog box. I found a "windows deployment services" item but nothing about RIS, altough i could find all the documentation in the Help and Support Center. What am i doing wrong? What is happening? RIS was replaced by WDS in Win 2003 SP2. WDS can work in legacy (RIS) mode. If you'd like to study RIS because you've got some old literature, then inst...

Sharebuilder account import error

Messages saved to Deleted Items instead of Drafts
I am using Outlook 2003 SP2 (Office 2003 Pro) in Windows XP Pro SP2, with all available patches to Windows and Office. If I start a message or a Reply and click the Save icon, the saved message is "saved" to the Deleted Items folder instead of the Drafts folder. If I close the message (as one would do if one were planning to continue later) and empty the Deleted Items folder the message is lost. If I go to Tools, Options, Preferences, E-mail Options..., Advanced E-mail Options..., "Save unsent items in:" has "Drafts" selected, so it should save them in the...

Followup on Copy Objects from Another A2007 db using vba
I created a form with several listboxes (one for each type of object...) allowing a user to select a "sandbox" FE (where newly modified objects have been tested...) and a "Production" FE (where users log in using Tony's AutoFE). The user selects the objects he wants to copy in each listbox (one listbox to a tab...), then clicks the "TransferSelected" button. Herewith the event procedure: Private Sub btnTransferSelected_Click() Dim ctl As Control Dim lngObjectType As AcObjectType Dim strObjectType As String Dim varItem As Varian...

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

Problems with Using Query with Analyze it with Microsoft Excel
We have a problem with Access 2003 and EXCEL 2003. I have a QUERY from ACCESS 2003 and hit the following sequence of commands - "TOOLS" "OFFICE LINKS" and "ANALYZE IT WITH MICROSOFT EXCEL". I notice the Excel pops up and I see fields being imported and when it is down the Excel spreadsheet is blank - not even a blank spreadsheet comes up. What am I doing wrong. We need Access 2003 to link to the data in Excel so we can edit and modify it using EXCEL as well as ACCESS. Thanks for your help. JW ...

ERROR

error, chkdsk

4.4.7 error

error 0x800CCC0F

Maunfacturing receipt window
It would be nice if the manufacturing receipt window worked like the other inventory lot entry windows. When in the manufacturing receipt window, receipt entery, lot numbers the tab does not move you down to the quantity to receive entry but instead to "link". This makes for a time consuming process for entering many lot numbers as you have to use the mouse. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do no...

Excel error codes translations

delete server...routing master error

Re: Money 2004

SMTP mail send problem
I'm running Windows/Outlook XP with mail routed through POP3/SMTP university servers. Abruptly, I am no longer able to send mail, though receiving works fine. I get an error message saying that Outlook couldn't connect with the outgoing server. No account settings have changed (I've checked) and I can still telnet to the SMTP server (but not through port 25)and send mail through a web-based university system. I do not have any Norton software on my computer, though I"m unsure about other potential firewalls. I am connecting to the internet through a cable modem which work...

Technical error

CObject Private method access error

Import fixed assets setup windows
Has anyone been able to succesfully import Asset Classes or Asset Account Groups? Also, I still do not understand how the indexing works in fixed assets. Does anyone have any information they can give me about the FAINDEX table or any tables that work with the Fixed assets indexing? Thanks! Juliet, I have succesfully imported both Classes and Account Groups. Fixed Assets uses indexes much like GP uses GL account indexes. Wherever GP refers to an account number it actually stores the account index instead of the actual account number. FA uses an index instead of the ID because the in...

Error in closing Outlook