Common problem-can't find a solution

I have that common problem with Windows Mail in Vista  Premium which began
out of the blue recently -- I try to open email, nothing happens,
then I get this error:

"Windows Mail cannot be started...mail message store cannot be opened...is
currently being used by another program such as a virus
scanner...(0x800C0155,2) --   MSOE.dll cannot be initialized.

Having read hundreds of threads about this problem, uninstalled every type
of malware/virus protection I have, restored the system, and, paraphrasing
some
suggestions, danced a rain dance holding my crotch, but nothing works. Isn't
there an intelligent fix for such a common issue other than "switch to
Windows Live something or other"?

How EXACTLY can I determine what program might be tying up the mail store?
How can I get another MSOE.dll that works or get this one to initialize? If
the message store has been corrupted, how can it be repaired or corrupted
files be replaced? Can Windows Mail be re-installed/repaired by software?

Seems like with such a common problem over time there should be an MS fix or
somebody could have figured this out.

Thanks,

pflu

0
Pflueger

That is a "catchall" error message that is likely bogus.  Try repairing the
WinMail database and see if that fixes the problem.  See
www.oehelp.com/WMUTil/

steve

"Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in message
>I have that common problem with Windows Mail in Vista  Premium which began
>out of the blue recently -- I try to open email, nothing happens,
> then I get this error:
>
> "Windows Mail cannot be started...mail message store cannot be opened...is
> currently being used by another program such as a virus
> scanner...(0x800C0155,2) --   MSOE.dll cannot be initialized.
>
> Having read hundreds of threads about this problem, uninstalled every type
> of malware/virus protection I have, restored the system, and, paraphrasing
> some
> suggestions, danced a rain dance holding my crotch, but nothing works.
> Isn't
> there an intelligent fix for such a common issue other than "switch to
> Windows Live something or other"?
>
> How EXACTLY can I determine what program might be tying up the mail store?
> How can I get another MSOE.dll that works or get this one to initialize?
> If
> the message store has been corrupted, how can it be repaired or corrupted
> files be replaced? Can Windows Mail be re-installed/repaired by software?
>
> Seems like with such a common problem over time there should be an MS fix
> or
> somebody could have figured this out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> pflu

0
Steve
2/21/2010 2:17:29 PM
If Steve's suggestion does not do the trick for you, about your only
recourse is upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
http://download.live.com/wlmail=20

Microsoft essentially abandoned Windows Mail in July 2006, in favor
of developing Windows Live Mail as the only supported free mail client.

--=20
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in message =
>I have that common problem with Windows Mail in Vista  Premium which =
began=20
> out of the blue recently -- I try to open email, nothing happens,
> then I get this error:
>=20
> "Windows Mail cannot be started...mail message store cannot be =
opened...is
> currently being used by another program such as a virus
> scanner...(0x800C0155,2) --   MSOE.dll cannot be initialized.
>=20
> Having read hundreds of threads about this problem, uninstalled every =
type
> of malware/virus protection I have, restored the system, and, =
paraphrasing=20
> some
> suggestions, danced a rain dance holding my crotch, but nothing works. =
Isn't
> there an intelligent fix for such a common issue other than "switch to
> Windows Live something or other"?
>=20
> How EXACTLY can I determine what program might be tying up the mail =
store?
> How can I get another MSOE.dll that works or get this one to =
initialize? If
> the message store has been corrupted, how can it be repaired or =
corrupted
> files be replaced? Can Windows Mail be re-installed/repaired by =
software?
>=20
> Seems like with such a common problem over time there should be an MS =
fix or
> somebody could have figured this out.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> pflu
>=20
>=20

0
Gary

Problem with Word table in Excel
Hope someone can help. Here's my problem. I want to easily double the amounts in each row of a column in a Microsoft Word table. I exported the table to Excel, inserted a column (column B) next to the one I wanted to work with, and typed the formula =A1*2. I then copied it to the rest of the cells in the B column. Of course, it worked. All the numbers in the A column were doubled in the corresponding B-column cells. But when I went to copy the doubled B-column numbers into the A column, I got a circular reference error. Problem is that I'm copying the formula, not the actu...

Problem with SBS2008/Email
I am having a problem with a new SBS2008 server that I can't figure out. It revolves around internal email that I can see (1 user on same server sending to another user on the same). It is also not happening with all of the 12 clients on the SBS2008, only a few of them where emails are getting rejected. I looked up their information in the SBS2008 and all looks good to me. Here is a sample of the reject. cma.local is the local domain and "Melonie" is trying send to "Joann". I looked up Joann's info in SBS2008 AD and Exchange 2007 and she as ema...

Problems Downloading
I am having problems downloading statements from my new bank account. I've been downloading statements for some time with no problem, but recently changed to a brokerage banking account. When I try to download, I get a 'choose a money account' dialog box. The problem is that the 'money account name' pull down list is empty. I've tried to create a new account, but at the end all that's downloaded is the account balance. I have the correct money account open when I try to download. thanks for any help ...

Strange problem
Hi, My messenger was constantly logging me out. I managed to cure that by using ZapMessenger and then repairing essentials. Now I am getting a strange problem. I am connected to a group and have individual connections to each of the other members. If nobody else is available but some are shown as busy, I can log on and everything is stable. As soon as someone else signs in, my connection drops out. After a couple of re-connections I can have a perfectly good conversation with them on the individual link. However, if we try to use the group connection, I start being disco...

PDf problems
A couple of weeks ago, when trying to save a file to pdf in Publisher 2007, all the graphics had black around them. Worked fine before that. And it doesn't matter if the graphic/clip art is jpg or png or tiff - same result. I have run all the security/virus scans and Windows updates, deleted the entire Office Suite and reinstalled, but nothing seems to help. So, I have to put the documents on a memory stick and take to my home computer, convert to pdf, then put back on the memory stick to bring in to the office. HELP! What PDF converter are you using? Can you print the docume...

Need help with Subform problems
Hi All, I am having a problem with a subform on a tab on a Main Form. I cannot get any expressions or VBA of either the subform or the subform controls to work. I have searched and found no answer. These did not work: Forms![myMainFormName]![mySubFormName].Form![MyctlName] Me![mySubFormName].[MyctlName] Me![MyctlName] Me.[MyctlName] Me.MyctlName Me!MyctlName [mySubFormName] [myMainFormName].[mySubFormName] Forms![myMainFormName].[mySubFormName] etc., etc. I have checked my spelling, my SourceObject, etc. I have references to OLE Automation, DAO 3.6 Objects Library, ActiveX Data Object...

How to change the language of common dialog box?
When I show a common dialog box, such as Open/Save file dialog and choose color dialog, how can I change the language displayed in these dialog boxes? Thanks! You'll have to either run on the OS that has the language you want or install the version of MFC that has the language you need. This article might help you: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235264.aspx Tom "Hooyoo" <zhao_huyong@126.com> wrote in message news:1159508128.489403.150360@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > When I show a common dialog box, such as Open/Save file dialog and > choose c...

Suggestions for anti spam solutions
I am running Exchange 2003 with only 250 mailboxes. We are using symantec anti virus server and Exchange Anti Virus. Are there any suggestions on anti spam solutions and why? We are using using Free Microsoft solution but without satisfactory results. On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:17:33 -0800, Owen@7 <Owen7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2003 with only 250 mailboxes. >We are using symantec anti virus server and Exchange Anti Virus. >Are there any suggestions on anti spam solutions and why? > >We are using using Free Microsoft solution but without sat...

Project Web Access Edit Details Problem
Hey Everyone, For a list of resources that we have imported from Active Directory, I am unable to edit the details for all of the records. The resources were imported, yet we then disabled the automated synch and isolated them as seperate entities. I am able to edit the resources under the \CompanyName directory, yet there are a few that had transferred here from corporate and are still listed under \CORP. The \CORP resources provide the following error when I try to save my changes: The resource could not be saved due to the following reasons: The NT account specified is ...

Using the Common Feed List in Excel
Is it possible to collect items from the Common Feed List (RSS feeds) generated by IE into Excel? I would like to screen a bunch of feeds from Craigslist and eBay and none of the readers I've tried seem to do it very well. TIA ed I have used the IE application with Excel to read 1000's of webpages. Depending on the Website it can be very simple, not so simple, or very complicated. Not all webpages are the same even though the make look similar. I don't know what you mean by "to do it very well". The code may not be simple. I would have to see the U...

Discount problem
Hi – We allow for 15% off any mix of 12 items or more from one department. The problem is that if we apply a 15% discount to the entire order, it would then discount items from other departments and sale items from that department as well, which are not normally discounted. I currently got around the problem by setting all the other departments and sale items to ‘non discountable'. The problem is, that, at times, I need to discount or adjust those other items as well. Is there any way to identify only those items that the discount would apply to, so I don't need to set every oth...

Publisher Open File Location Problem
When one of my users starts Publisher 2003 and clicks Open, the first screen that she sees is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11. She has gone into Tools | Options and onto the General tab as set the File Locations for both Publications and Pictures to the shared S:\ drive, but she continue to get the OFFICE11 folder. Other people using the same PC do not show this behavior. The do see the S:\ drive. Where is the per-user settings file for Publisher 2003? Is it: C:\Documents and Settings\karen\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Publis11.pip Or C:\Documents and Settings\karen\Appl...

How do I find an unknown value on a line made from known data?
I'm trying to find an unknown data point (X) by using a set of standards (two sets of data, an X and Y)that have been made into a line graph. Usually I do this manually by graphing the line and printing out a large version and just giving a best estimate to where the point would be. The closest thing I can find that functions in this way is a trendline, but the point found needs to actually be on the line itself, not the trendline. I was wondering if any of you know how to do this using excel because I can't seem to figure it out. Thank you! It sounds as though you need to inte...

Problem with opening
It is happened something very strange to one mine file. I can open and edit the file without any problems, but if someone else try to open the file excel perform an illegal operation and it close. Any suggestions what the problem can be? Thanks in advance, Emilija ...

Copy and Paste problem
Hi, I have made macros to copy sheet form one file and paste into another, however somtimes there is a problem when for example I change print area in target file or anything else I recive a message: Error the target area is not the same size as the copy area what is starnge as area doesnt change, only solution i found is simply delete the file and make a new one. Im sure you have same problem but did you find a solution ? Piotr, I'm not sure what the Print Area has to do with copying and pasting. Have you determined for sure which statement in your code is generating the error? ...

CString and CRLF problem
Hi guys, I'm trying to make a little program that will take a text file and convert the whole thing to a single line. Here is what I am doing: CString string // fill the string with my text file string.Replace("\r\n","\n"); // to be safe in case it was Unix string.Replace("\n","\r\n"); // make them all Windows style string.Replace("\r\n",""); // get rid of the line breaks string.Replace("\t",""); // kill the tabs while I'm at it string+="\r\n"; // add a line break at the very end Well, I s...

HQ Remember Find Criteria
IT'd be really, Really, REALLY nice if the 'Find Global Customer' window remembered the fields to be searched. Store Operations does it, why not HQ? Tom -- The worst words in business: "We''ve always done it that way" -- Stop Fishing for eMail. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader a...

problem with GDI+
Hello, I've got a problem with GDI+. I want to draw some shapes in a view class CPlotView which is a child of CScrollView. In OnDraw section I use this code: void CPlotView::OnDraw(CDC* pDC) { CDocument* pDoc = GetDocument(); Gdiplus::Graphics g(pDC->m_hDC); Gdiplus::Pen pen(Gdiplus::Color(255, 0, 0, 255)); g.DrawLine(&pen,0,0,100,100); } But nothig appears in the window. If I use standard GDI, for example pDC->LineTo(10,10,100,100); everything works. Where do I do a mistake? Thank you in advance for help, Tomek The Gdiplus.dll must be copied to the system d...

Wild characters in Find and Replace
I used to be able to do this in the prior version... not sure how to do it in my new version. If I have a doc with a list of items that all have a : after them and the first written character after the two spaces following the colon is a small letter and I want to replace them with a capital letter, how do I do that? In the prior version, I used Find :^$ and then "highlight all" and then used the change case function. In this version, "highlight all" is not an option. Please advise. Hi Trish, Once you've input the Find string, click on 'Reading ...

2002/2003 Last Edit Problem
Hi, I've embeded "Last Edit" Date field in a 2002 document's Doc Box which generally works fine, except..... If the document is opened using 2003 (instead of 2002 where it was created), the Last Edit Date gets updated even though nothing on the diagram has changed! It's clear from the XML versions that 2003 is doing lots of changes to the underlying file structure which is probably what's triggering the "Edit/Update", but is there any way to turn this off? I've tried opening the file Read-Only, but even that doesn't appear to help. Thanks in a...

HOWTO localize common dialogs
hi all! I have a core application with no resources. I have a couple of DLLs containing the resources (one for each language i need to support). Now: 1. system is win2k and i develop with visual c++ 6.0 2. the application uses mfc as shared dll 3. the dlls containing the resources use mfc as shared dll too. 4. everything has been built using appwizard. i exactly display the correct GUI for the chosen language. but i'm trying to get the localized mfc resources in order to have the same language also for the common dialogs (es. FileOpen, the buttons of AfxMessageBox, etc). I applied su...

Problems with CRM 3 Outlook client sync.
Hi, I have joined two computers to a Windows Server 2003 domain. After that i've installed CRM 3 Outlook Client on two laptops with Vista. The installation went smoothly. I have desktops on the network, where clients are working properly. On these two laptops when I start Outlook with CRM clients get this message: You can not start synchronization process on this computer. This process can only run on a single client computer user. Customer synchronization should be the computer, which usually is online (for example, desktop computer), or basic computer user. To change the client s...

system recovery problem
I am using Windows XP Service pack 3. I downloaded a song from a website that I am a member of and for the first time, it attached an add on that now gives me pop-up adds. I removed the add on from my control panel, but I am still getting these pop-up adds every time I connect to the internet. I tried to do a system restore for an hour or two earlier from when I downloaded the song, and system restore would not let me do a download. The message was that system restore could not restore computer to date I choose, and to try a different date....well I also downloaded Norton Sec...

XML loading problem ..
I designes a flash site .. containing a photo gallery .. i used a XML file for the dynamic contents of the gallery .. but i had a problem that whenever i switch to another page .. and back to the gallery .. the photos doesn't reaload .. i somehow made a trick to fix it .. but now i have that problem that the XML doesn't load at all !!! any clues ?? ...

mailbox manager problem
Dear All I have created a Mailbox manager policies with the following paramete Folder Age(days) Size(kb Inbox 3 an SendItems 3 an Delete Item 3 an Once the mail manager process, all the selected items should be delete immediate from the syste After a fews days I received the following notification from the system The Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Manager has completed processing mailboxes Started at: 2004-06-02 19:15:29 Stopped at: 2004-06-02 19:15:30 Mailboxes process...