Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?

Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.

Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?

Thank you.
windows.vista.hardware_devices 178 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Brian

Having 2gig of RAM is a lot better than having 1 GIG or even 512MB. Go for it and
you will not regret it

--
Peter

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

0
Peter
1/12/2010 12:51:50 AM
I ran two Vista Home Premium systems for several years with 1GB RAM without
any problems.    I also have run Windows 7 Home Premium on a laptop with
only 1GB of Ram without problem.

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

0
Curious
1/12/2010 12:57:31 AM
I ran two Vista Home premium systems with only 1 GB for several years
without problem I also have run Windows7 on my laptop with only 1GB of Ram.
Will the system perform better with 2GB, yes but depending on your
applications the improvement may be not even be noticed

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

0
Curious
1/12/2010 1:01:51 AM
Yes, it's just that it runs smoother that way.  When Vista first came out I
did some testing and you can indeed run it with 512mb or 1gb of memory but
it's not a truly enjoyable experience.  As cheap as memory is these days one
should consider 2gb to be the starting point for either Vista or Windows 7.

"Brian V" <BrianV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really
> runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot
> less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista
> runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> Thank you.

0
Richard
1/12/2010 10:24:30 AM
I completely plan on getting the maximum amount of RAM my OS and mobo can
handle (I learned tech slang posting here, and I'm using it).

Lots of people have told me that Windows 7 works fine with 1Gb. But music,
pictures and video stuff I use would be best with more RAM. I was just on a
video editing site and most people who use those programs professionally or
at an advanced level were saying 4Gb mostly and some more with XP, Vista and
7.

Thanks again everyone.

On Jan 17, 4:21=A0am, Brian V <Bri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I completely plan on getting the maximum amount of RAM my OS and mobo can
> handle (I learned tech slang posting here, and I'm using it).
>
> Lots of people have told me that Windows 7 works fine with 1Gb. But music=
,
> pictures and video stuff I use would be best with more RAM. I was just on=
> video editing site and most people who use those programs professionally =
or
> at an advanced level were saying 4Gb mostly and some more with XP, Vista =
and
> 7.
>
> Thanks again everyone.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> > Yes, it's just that it runs smoother that way. =A0When Vista first came=
 out I
> > did some testing and you can indeed run it with 512mb or 1gb of memory =
but
> > it's not a truly enjoyable experience. =A0As cheap as memory is these d=
ays one
> > should consider 2gb to be the starting point for either Vista or Window=
s 7.

> > "Brian V" <Bri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only r=
eally
> > > runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a=
 lot
> > > less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also.
>
> > > Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that V=
ista
> > > runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM?
>
> > > Thank you.
>
> > .

Consider going to 64 bit versions.  Windows Vista / 7 64 bit seems to
work better with at least 4GB.  64 bit versions do not have the 3.25GB
- 3.50GB RAM limit.
0
smlunatick

Shell.UI and vista Unable to determine XP theme error message
I'm opening a .net project that loads Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI in order to make the app inherit the dexterity colors. When I open this project on an XP machine, it works fine. When I open the same project on vista and open the designer, I get the following message : System.InvalidOperationException: Unable to determine XP theme. GetCurrentThemeName returned C:\Windows\resources\themes\Aero \Aero.msstyles for the theme name. at Microsoft.Dexterity.Shell.UI.LibWrapper.GetThemeName() Fair enough, it doesn't understand aero themes. :) Is there an easy workaround or am I stuck having ...

how to show a tool tip for a CEdit control #2
Hi, I have derived a class from CEdit class in which user can enter only hexadeceimal characters (i.e. 0-9, A-F(a-f) X(x). I want to display a tooltip if user enters any other character than a hex character. Can anyone tell me how can I do this? Regards, Bhavik hi use CToolTipCtrl class naren "BNP" wrote: > Hi, > > I have derived a class from CEdit class in which user can enter only > hexadeceimal characters (i.e. 0-9, A-F(a-f) X(x). I want to display a > tooltip if user enters any other character than a hex character. > > Can anyone tell me how can I...

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Windows Vista

open windows

Fiscal Year Settings #2
My company has two business units operating on two different fiscal years. Can I tie FY settings individually to each unit? If not, how do I handle it? Thanks for any advice. I would be curious to see how you resolve this, however the FY settings are organizational in nature. A better approach might be to go with CRM 4.0 and instead of BU's, use Organizations (where you can set the FY per Org). If you need to share data across Orgs, then you might want to consider a replication scheme. This is not elegant unfortunately.... -- Fortis www.webfortis.com "NancyR" wrote:...

Daily Sales Report #2
Hi, I work in a retail outlet that opens at 10:00 am and stays open until around 12:30/01:00am the next day. When we run the daily sales report it will only pick up from 12-12midnight. Due to this we have a headache in Finance trying to tally up the figures. Is there anyway to specify the time and date from a report in RMS or do I need to look at some other reporting software? Any suggestions would be very welcome. Regards Ken Hi Ken, My company, Professional Advantages has Analysis Cubes for RMS. This product is designed to help retailers manage their business by delivering anal...

Windows pdate Status: Failed

CRM 1.2 on SBS 2003: External Error. No Such Object on Server
Users cannot get to CRM via WEB. They would get error box: No Such Object on Server. I got this from Event Viewer: MSCRM Platform Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: There is no such object on the server. Error Message: There is no such object on the server. Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Source File: Not available Line Number: Not available Stack Trace Info: at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()...

Uninstalling PowerShell in Vista Home to upgrade to Vista Ultimate
I have Vista Home on a Dell studio laptop. I have just reinstalled this after a HD replacement. I am trying to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. A Compatibility check during the start of the upgrade says to uninstall Windows PowerShell. I went to the microsoft support site for guidance. I am unable to see PowerShell or its KB in the list of installed updates as the guidance said I should see. Hence, I am unable to select it to uninstall. The list of installed updates only says "Update for Microsoft Windows" or "Hotfix for Microsoft Windows." How can I get it to show ...

opration failed a objeck cound not be found #2
jeff <jeff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: <nothing> Do you have a question? If so, post it in the body of the message, specifying your Outlook version, account type, exactly what you ARE doing, what you WANT to do, what folder you are in, what view you are using, and the EXACT text of any errors you get. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

MO receipt entry #2
Hi, I am receiving FG through MO receipt entry as well i have entered actual labou hours through data collection. what my problem is when i receive partila FG i want to allocate my labor cost to that receipt, but the button 'Labor/Machine' is set as inactive and i am not getting the way to do. I desperately lookin for help. Satya Hi Satya The Labor\Machine button is only available for actual cost items. I assume you are using a standard cost method FIFO Periodic or LIFO Periodic. When you recieve an item to stock, you should be "charging" labor based upon the item...

One column with different widths #2
I want to make Column A with rows 1-29 one width and rows 30 and above another width. How do I do this please? -- Calpitor Calpitor, I think that this can only be done by merging two columns in the case of the rows from 30 onward (This also assumes that the width of these rows is greater than the rows 1-29) Set rows 1-29 to the width you require - if you don't know how to do this then you will need to place the cursor between the column headers where it says A (co,lumn line) B. The cursor will change to a double headed arrow and you can change the column width by dragging the cursor...

Zero Values in chart #2
Hi, Is there any way to avoid displaying zero values in a chart. Raj -- Rajkumar Eager to learn more about Excel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Rajkumar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2159 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493770 Assuming you mean you want empty cells not to be treated as zeros: 1) click on chart; use Tools|Options|Chart and specify how you want blanks to be treated or 2) replace blanks by =NA() best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/peopl...

sp2 #2
After down loading sp2 and during re-start , a window brifly appears and says "OUT OF RANGE" and then the screen turns black. This happens every time I try to re-start my computer.. What do I need to do ?? ...

Outlook 2003 Using over 2 GB of memory
Ok, I have been using Outlook 2003 for a while now and have had an odd problem for a while. If I leave outlook open for a long time, it will consume all of of my free memory. I am talking about 700-800 MB of actual memory, and 1.5 - 1.7 GB of my virtual memory by just leaving it open over night, and this repeats as many times as I leave it open. I have restarted the computer, and no luck. Now it is also happening with my laptop, and I am not sure where to go with this. Any Ideas? Do you have a desktop search program installed? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the gro...

Lookup with multiple conditions #2
I have two cells as followes : A B 1 Sachin Vikas 2 Sachin Amit 3 Sachin Vikas 4 Sachin Vikas i want to count no of times Sachin and Vikas comes in one row Here ans is Three. =sumproduct(--(a1:a4="sachin"),--(b1:b4="vikas")) is one way. =sumproduct() wants to work with numbers. -- converts true/false to 0/1. Sachin Narute wrote: > > I have two cells as followes : > > A B > 1 Sachin Vikas > 2 Sachin Amit > 3 Sachin Vikas > 4 Sachin ...

Windows recovery console