WD Passport USB device not recognized.

I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista Home Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows starts to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is supposed to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support and receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device" and the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of any help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to completion, and have lost the last sheet.
I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of these steps have fixed my problem.

Intrepid5295
1/1/2010 1:47:38 AM
windows.vista.hardware_devices 178 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Has WD support also not provided you any recent Vista driver updates or
other meaningful help?

"Intrepid5295" wrote in message
> I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista Home
> Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows starts
> to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is supposed
> to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support and
> receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device" and
> the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of any
> help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects
> immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in
> these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to completion, and
> have lost the last sheet.
> I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of
> these steps have fixed my problem.
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

0
Curious
1/1/2010 1:55:18 AM
If the drive is in a fat format you might consider reformatting it in NTFS
format. Such a change does not destroy the data and might 'fix' the drive so
it will work in both machines.

Michael

"Intrepid5295" wrote in message
> I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista Home
> Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows starts
> to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is supposed
> to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support and
> receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device" and
> the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of any
> help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects
> immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in
> these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to completion, and
> have lost the last sheet.
> I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of
> these steps have fixed my problem.
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

0
Michael
1/1/2010 5:38:35 AM
Hi, Michael.

I think you meant to "convert" the drive from FAT to NTFS.  Reformatting it
WILL destroy the data.  But the built-in command, convert.exe, will convert
the format from FAT to NTFS without destroying the contents - and it is much
quicker than reformatting, practically instantaneous.

To the OP:  In a Command Prompt window, type:  convert /?
This should display a "mini-Help" screen showing how to use the command.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> If the drive is in a fat format you might consider reformatting it in NTFS
> format. Such a change does not destroy the data and might 'fix' the drive
> so it will work in both machines.
>
> Michael
>

> "Intrepid5295" wrote in message
>> I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista
>> Home Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows
>> starts to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is
>> supposed to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support
>> and receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device"
>> and the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of
>> any help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects
>> immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in
>> these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to completion, and
>> have lost the last sheet.
>> I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of
>> these steps have fixed my problem.

YES YES Convert, not format (embarrassed)

Michael

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Michael.
>
> I think you meant to "convert" the drive from FAT to NTFS.  Reformatting
> it WILL destroy the data.  But the built-in command, convert.exe, will
> convert the format from FAT to NTFS without destroying the contents - and
> it is much quicker than reformatting, practically instantaneous.
>
> To the OP:  In a Command Prompt window, type:  convert /?
> This should display a "mini-Help" screen showing how to use the command.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
>> If the drive is in a fat format you might consider reformatting it in
>> NTFS format. Such a change does not destroy the data and might 'fix' the
>> drive so it will work in both machines.
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> "Intrepid5295" wrote in message
>>> I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista
>>> Home Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows
>>> starts to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is
>>> supposed to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows
>>> Support and receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB
>>> device" and the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were
>>> they of any help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it
>>> connects immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from
>>> SpiritX in these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to
>>> completion, and have lost the last sheet.
>>> I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of
>>> these steps have fixed my problem.

0
Michael
1/1/2010 11:22:31 PM
On Jan 1, 1:47=A0am, Intrepid5295 wrote:
> I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista Hom=
e Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows start=
s to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is supposed=
 to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support and recei=
ve all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device" and the like=
........none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of any help. I can=
 take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects immediately. Earli=
er in December, I received a message from SpiritX in these forums, but I wa=
s sidetracked in following them to completion, and have lost the last sheet=
..
> I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of t=
hese steps have fixed my problem.

> Post Originated fromhttp://www.VistaForums.comVista Support Forums

Try:   http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html
0
smlunatick

Convert Blu-Ray ISO files to WD TV for enjoying
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Convert Blu-Ray ISO files to WD TV for enjoying <br><br>Since the advent of WD TV Player, it has taken the fancy of public. As it well known, WD TV produced by Western Digital is a media player that plays audio, video and image files from connected USB devices on your TV in HD resolutions, including 720P, 1080i and 1080P. Even you can connect external storage like hard disc, portable devices, camcorders and etc. Nothing is much better than watching high definition movies via TV with your families! Nevertheless, with suc...

How to find all devices in our organization
Hi all, I installed MobileAdmin but it only can find the device if I know alias or exchange email address. Is there a way to find all activesync devices in our organization easily? Thanks in advance. ...

WM_DEVICECHANGE and umdf usb driver
I have made driver on the base of Sample Driver for OSR USB Fx2. I want to receive notofications, when my device plugs and unplugs. I try to use WM_DEVICECHANGE. I receive that message, but the wParam is always 7. What can be wrong with the driver? What is your environment? I.e., are you using a separate app to detect when your driver is loaded/unloaded? Plus, did you try enabling and disabling your driver with device manager? Make sure to run appverifier for your driver (wudfhost, wudfx, <your dll>) to detect any ref leaks. Egi. "windhunterII" <windhunt...

W98SE USB HID Driver Sought
I need a W98SE USB Human Interface (keyboard and mouse, so far as I can tell) device driver for a Dell Dimension 4500 PC (uses Intel 845G chipset). Does anybody have any idea where on the W98SE installation CD this driver is buried? Alternatively, could it be a chipset driver? Thanks, in advance, for any advice, insight, or suggestions. HenriK <bedpost@attglobal.net> wrote in news:#bB4HzAGLHA.5856@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl: > I need a W98SE USB Human Interface (keyboard and mouse, so > far as I can tell) device driver for a Dell Dimension 4500 > PC (uses Intel 845...

wd
wd ...

Hello?! .NET Passport problem?
I've read some other posts about this problem, but I haven't seen the answer, and I thought that if anyone in the Microsoft Universe ever bothers to read the newsgroups, they will hopefully see a recurring problem. Money tells me that my .net sign-in was unsuccessful. It's been this way for a week now. I've tried to change my .net info. When I go to the .net website, the sign-in works. When I try to tell Money to update my .net info or change my .net info, it tells me that I need to enable my browser to do cookies. But I have told my browser to accept all cookie...

WD Passport USB device not recognized.
I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista Home Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows starts to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is supposed to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support and receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device" and the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of any help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in these foru...

I cannot sync any devices.
I need help because I can no longer sync any devices I have previously synced before. I was wondering if maybe I could just reinstall WMP to fix it. have Windows Media Player version 11 on windows vista. On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:46:01 -0800, Aaron <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need help because I can no longer sync any devices I have previously synced >before. I was wondering if maybe I could just reinstall WMP to fix it. have >Windows Media Player version 11 on windows vista. Probably the reverse would be a better approach. Head to Control Pane...

Requesting device speed with WinUSB
Hello, I am trying to request device speed with the following code: WINUSB_INTERFACE_HANDLE WinUsbHandle; BOOL boolResult; ULONG length; UCHAR speed; length = sizeof(speed); boolResult = WinUsb_QueryDeviceInformation(WinUSbHandle, DEVICE_SPEED, &length, &speed); My Device is a USB 2.0 device with LowSpeed and FullSpeed transfer but no HighSpeed transfers. Whenever I request the device speed this function reports no error (TRUE == boolResult) but the "speed" variable is set to LowSpeed (0x01), even when my device is working in FullSpeed mode. The UVC...

Passport 2002
I have Money 2002 Deluxe edition. I want to turn OFF that *&@$#@ passport window that invades every time I go to certain sites... Amazon, bank, etc. HOW? Under help it says to click "login lockbox" and then "click 'change'" except there is nothing that says "change?!" No word, button, link, page, etc. Any help would be greatly appriciated. In microsoft.public.money, Paisley wrote: >I have Money 2002 Deluxe edition. I want to turn OFF that *&@$#@ passport >window that invades every time I go to certain sites... Amazon, bank, etc. ...

USB Device versus Interface
I understand that one USB device and declare multiple interfaces. What I would like to do is declare two separate vendor/product codes on a single USB interface. Is this possible? One socket, one electrical connection, look like two devices: vendor A product X and vendor A product Y. Can do? You would need to make a compound device, which would look like this internally: Hub \- Device X \- Device Y If you don't actually need different product codes, you can also make a composite device, which gets multiple drivers loaded such that each driver owns a set of endpoints exc...

Copy Protection Device
I had to replace the motherboard, and now the computer will not recognize the dongle. Does anyone know what I need to do? Go to Device Manager, find the dongle under USB devices, remove it from there, remove the physical dongle from the computer too, reboot the computer, insert the dongle, wait for the prompt "Found new hardware", put in the orginal RMS CD, let the system search for the dongle driver on the CD, let the system install the driver. It is going to work after this. "Sharon" wrote: > I had to replace the motherboard, and now the computer will not r...

Why Passports?
Money keeps asking me if I want to "secure" my Money file with an MSN Passport account. This to me sounds like an oxymoron. Am I wrong? What good would it do for me to tell Microsoft how to access all of my financial records? Or did I already do that by using their Money software? -Jeff You are wrong. Microsoft does not know your passphrase. Unless you use sync with the web, your Money data is still stored exclusively on your machine. "Jeff" <jeff_phil-NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:vrkdaf858miod6@corp.supernews.com... > Money keeps asking me if I wa...

USB Notifications between Debug and Release
I know this may be inappropriate here since the problem may not be MFC related.. I am using the Cypress cyapi library and the cyusb driver in a rather extensive MFC app. I have noticed that on HP laptops especially the USB device notifications for pnp seem to function incorrectly/undependably in the release build but work fine in debug builds. Can anyone suggest a path to cure this problem? I am a bit stumped. thanks eng ...

No Sound
Somehow I have lost my sound. I have no sound icon & when I go to the control panel the volume tab says no audio device. I have gone to Device Manager & everything appears okay. I even tried to reload the sndvol32.exe file from the Windows XP CD to no avail. Any auggestions? Bigjib wrote: > Somehow I have lost my sound. I have no sound icon & when I go to the control > panel the volume tab says no audio device. I have gone to Device Manager & > everything appears okay. I even tried to reload the sndvol32.exe file from > the Windows XP CD to no avai...

Still cannot sign in using passport
I still cannot sign in using passport. I get the error that the sign-in name is not associated with my file. I have been using money for over a year without any problems and now have not been able to get into my file for 2 days. Looks like Microsoft dropped the ball again. Is it time to switch to Quicken. ...

Passport
I saw, it was mentioned several times in this newsgroup, but I also have the log on problem using my HOTMAIL account. Customer care has not responded, and the idea, deleting the client.xml does not help either. Any other ideas? Please help. Thanks Steffen Urban ...

Maintaining Order of Songs Synced from WMP to USB Stick
Hi There, I'm a novice, and I thank you for reading my message. I've been creating Sync Lists of Songs, with the songs mixed in a particular order I desire. I then name the playlist. I sync the lists into my USB Stick 1GB without shuffling, but upon playback the order of the songs in the playlist have been altered. In fact, they are played back in the order of the artist. Is it possible to sync the playlist exactly as I mixed it, and have the USB Stick playback the exact mix of song order accordingly? Or is this an impossiblity? Thank you for your help and...

Pocket Money on Windows Mobile Device
I recently acquired a new cell phone with Windows Mobile 5, with the intention of replacing my current cell phone + Pocket PC. However, when I attempted to load Pocket Money on my device, it says it is an unsupported platform! Is it really true that there does not exist a version of Money for Windows Mobile devices? Partly true... There is no version of MS Money for Smartphone. There is a version for PocketPC (even PocketPC Phone edition). I've been wishing for a SmartPhone version for quite a while now. Alas Microsoft doesn't listen to customer wishes. Rob "Fa...

How do I enable USB ports?
I'm on a computer that was origionally intended for public use but is now used in an office and as a result of being intended for public use, it's set so that nothing connects to the USB ports. If I plug in a drive, it lights up, so there is power to the USB ports, but it doesn't show in My Computer. So how do I enable the USB ports? What icon do I go to in Control Panel? Or, in case that icon isn't there, in what subfolder of Z:\User would I find the file that opens the needed panel? Enter the BIOS and re-enable them. Also see:- http://www.dexternights....

DeviceIoControl hangs after device removal
Hi, I'm faced with something weird when calling DeviceIoControl in a user application on my UMDF driver based on the osrusbfx2 driver. What happens is that if I unplug my usb device and a user application calls DeviceIoControl with a previously valid handle to my driver, the call hangs there. My driver is totally unmounted so normally, the pnp manager would know that the handle used by DeviceIoControl is not longer valid and the call would return a failure but instead it hangs. Is it something that is not done right in my driver that causes this? Should I manage in the user...

Serial Device comms application architecture
Hi guys, I have been tasked with writing a small application that interfaces with a serial device. I have managed to create my communication wrapper which basically handles all the comms between the application and the device. So, it has a 'Connect' method, a 'Send' and a 'Recieve'. It runs in a thread which basically does a 'While(_connected) ReadLine', and passes any incoming messages to a message handler within the object. That seems to work well - except for when I close the app! The ReadLine() is blocking, so the thread stays alive, even though t...

USB problem
Running XP-SP3 with all updates current. I have a WACOM tablet, driver is latest version; plugged into a USB port in rear of DELL PC. I'll boot up and get error message,"USB device not recognized...". I check Device Manager and no flags are showing. I simply plug into another USB port and I get message that "Human Interface Device found" and my tablet now works. The next day I boot up and the same error message pops up and the fix is to reverse what I did the previous day, just plug back into yesterday's "bad USB port". Any ideas what I am ch...

Who do I contact to reset my Passport password?
There are so many passwords to remember these day and I forgot my password for money and it said it was placeing my account on hold. Who do I contact to get my Passport password reset? http://www.passport.net -- there is a member services link somewhere with a lost password link on it. "Joseph A. Zupko" <jaz2@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:OKAu8ChVDHA.612@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > There are so many passwords to remember these day and I forgot my password > for money and it said it was placeing my account on hold. Who do I contact > to get my Passport password ...

Annoying problems opening add'l files in Wd 2003
This is really annoying. I'll have one or more Word docs open. If I'm not working on a doc I'll have its window minimized. I'll double-click a doc in Windows Explorer. Both the window for that doc and the window for the first doc I opened appear, with the window for the newly opened doc in front of the window for the first doc. ~Or~ I'll click a link to a Word doc in our Web-based collaboration management system. The prompt to open or save the doc appears. I click Open. The task bar icon for the first doc I opened flashes. I have to click that icon before...