Vista 64 bit - Non-techie needs External Hard Drive help

OK, I am so completely feed up with Vista and have been wanting to
upgrade to Windows 7, but now my external hard drive has completely
failed and was never working correctly with Vista anyway, because of the
64 bit issues so now I need to spend the money on a new external hard
drive instead of upgrading to 7.

So here's my issue: I understand now that the 64 bit issue was a
software/driver issue and not a hardware issue. I was using a Maxtor
OneTouch 4 Plus with an XP machine. The Xp machine died and I got a
Vista machine (right before the free upgrade to 7 started. Dang it!).
The external drive never quite worked right and when I finally got
around to understanding that it was a software issue etc. this week the
drive has completely died and is useless to me. So what I need to know
now is how to proceed. And -I need step-by-step examples-. I am not a
computer techie person, so when I read the forum and it says to buy a
SATA drive and then get an enclosure to cover it and format this and
blah, blah, blah. I'm not completely sure what you are all talking
about!! But I am sure I can do it if I get some more detailed
instructions, because I catch on pretty fast.

What I want is an external drive to back up my small business laptop: HP
Pavilion dv3 AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-core 2.4 GHz w/ 4 GB RAM and 500
GB of storage running Vista Ultimate (64 bit) SP2. It does have am eSATA
port if that helps. I have used Seagate in the past, because it was all
automatic and easy (until Vista 64 bit) so I would prefer to stay away
from Seagate/Maxtor. They are on my sh** list now.

I would like an external drive and software recommendations for backing
everything up automatically. Can I get a few recommendations? What
software are you using? I hear there's some great freeware also built-in
MS options, but I need some help on where to start and the order of
doing it all ... I would like at least 500 GB, but since I am getting
this new it would be better to probably get 1 TB now so I don't out grow
it. And if I can walk in and buy it at Best Buy or somewhere that would
be awesome. I would like to have my stuff backed up ASAP.

Thanks!

Andrea

--
alcrisp
alcrisp's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/190712.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
alcrisp
3/3/2010 11:33:29 PM
windows.vista.hardware_devices 178 articles. 0 followers. Follow

VISTA
When I go to save my excel 2007 worksheet which is running in compatibility mode because I have VISTA I get DOCUMENT NOT SAVED can anybody help? Thank you -- Paula Paula, Your Excel 2007 is not running in compatibility mode because of Vista. Compatibility mode means you have opens a old Excel file made with a version that pre-dates XL 2007 Form the Start menu open Excel. It will open with a blank XL 2007 workbook Add some data and Save Tell us what happens best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "PaulaC" <P...

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area on vista
Hp lap top, had my first bsod. had not changed anything in 6 days just surfing web. It was slow, and rebooted. bsod. I am in safe mode with network now, if i load into reg vista, it bsod. Here is what I have tried so far. not in any real order Restore to last up date 5/7 Failed restore to 5/4 failed, Restore to day before I added antivirus software 4/29 failed Ran spybot, safe mode Ran cc cleaner safe mode Ran chkdsk c:/r 8 bad sectors. Finally here. This is my work cpu, and i need to get the invoicing out. I have it backed up. I can access it through here. I will say this l...

I need to convert a scanned photo in Publisher to a jpeg format?
I have scanned a photo from my printer and would like to know how to convert the photo to a jpeg format. The photo is scanned to Publisher 2003. While in a state of withdrawal waiting for components to arrive to repair his dead laptop, Ed notices a message from "jonc9" <jonc9@discussions.microsoft.com>. >I have scanned a photo from my printer and would like to know how to >convert > the photo to a jpeg format. The photo is scanned to Publisher 2003. This once AND JUST THIS ONCE ONLY, right-click the picture in Publisher, click Save As Picture. In *ALL* future i...

Open relay HELP!!!
Server 2003 / Exchange 2003 (not SBS) I've run the abuse.net open relay test (results below). However, it never sends the message. I understand that can be changed with recipient filtering, but that leaves me open to dictionary attacks. The head-scratcher here is that I actually got hammered by relayed SPAM. Also below, I'm including the SMTP headers from one of the offenders (I intentionally left their IP in this post in hopes someone will attack their servers in retailiation!). I saw dozens of active sessions on my virtual SMTP server that were of nefarious nature (i.e., SPAMME...

help needed #2
what would the formula be for 1846 1846 1845 7 13 15 22 30 32 5 1844 5 13 21 25 31 33 3 1843 6 7 12 21 28 30 8 1842 3 9 10 16 30 32 8 1841 3 7 9 15 18 29 1 1840 4 6 8 10 17 34 10 1839 5 6 9 16 19 22 8 1838 5 9 10 11 29 31 6 1837 1 3 7 20 21 22 7 1836 9 12 23 24 28 33 4 thank you predict I've just failed this test! -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "predict" <p...

Blocking External accounts
We are trying to block an external account. We have blocked the IP addresses, but we would like to knowif it is possible with Exchange 2003, to block an especific external account, for example: userxxx@hotmail.com, so that this e-mail cannot send messages to users in our domain. Thanks Nilton Hi Nilton, It sure is possible. In the Exchange System Manager go to the properties of the Message Delivery under Global Settings. Once in here go tot he Recipient Filtering Tab and add that users SMTP address. The next step is to go down to the Default Virtual Server under the SMTP Protocol and...

Please Help With Message Delivery Issues.
I work for a not for profit organization. We have a somewhat complicated environment. Here is a brief explanation of our environment. I am sorry this is going to be a long story. I work for an organization that has affiliated organizations throughout the world. Most of the locations use Exchange for messaging. I am based in Atlanta USA (we have Exchange 2K3 & Exchange 5.5). We have an affiliated location in Europe which also have E2K3 & Exchange 5.5. On top of that there are other affiliated locations in Australia, Africa and Latin America. The location in Australia is only runn...

Outlook 2003 crashes and restarts in Vista
Hi all! I'm hoping to get some help from all of you! After my laptop installed some updates it started to crash Outlook whenever I'm writing an email. I have re-installed Outlook and even uninstalled some of the updates I thought would be conflictive, however it still happens. Here's the error I'm getting: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Application Version: 11.0.8312.0 Application Timestamp: 4a403990 Fault Module Name: OUTLLIB.dll Fault Module Version: 11.0.8313.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 4a793...

16 bit bmp.
Hi, Im developing an application that would display any type of bmps for my university project.Im able to display 8,24 bits color depth.I want to make it for 16 bits color depth.I found information that 16bpp have RGB values in 2 bytes, as 5-6-5. R-G-B. So how shall I display them as bmp. I also have a doubt whether 16 bit bmp can have palette or index information. Thanks in advance Susi. ...

Vista not starting
Hi! My Dell Dimension/Vista Home Premium SPlatest has been running reasonably troublefree for thre years. Last week, the machine would come up to the 'Micrsosft Corporation' progress bar and progress away to glory. Sometimes a restart would work, sometimes not. The third time it happened, I found it wouldnt start even after three restarts It started on safe mode. I went back to normal mode and (I think) it did not start. Or maybe it ddid. I chanced to look at Event Viewer ( people should make it a practice to do so in the event of unexpected situations) and found a DHCP f...

new music store help...
Ok so, my wife and I are opening a music store in a couple of weeks and in the future I would like to set up a couple of computers for people to search out music websites ONLY. I have NO experience setting up a network but here is what i'm looking at The store's main computer Dimension 2400 Series Intel® Celeron® Processor at 2.4GHz with 400MHz front side bus BC244A Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition¹² Memory: 256MB Shared DDR SDRAM at 333MHz Keyboard: Dell™ Quietkey® Keyboard Monitor: 15 in (15.0 in viewable) E152FPb Flat Panel D...

Cannot send external email
We are running Exchange 5.5 and cannot send external email all of a sudden. My firewall folks tell me that there's a ton of messages sent from my domain using a null address and that's blocking everything from getting out. However I cannot see a buildup of outgoing messages in the MTS out queues. Has anyone encountered this before and what was/is the fix? Thanks, Steve Can you first verify connection to an external SMTP Server on Port 25? Can you then ping an external Exchange Server by Name? -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner &...

Hurry Publisher 2000 HELP
How do I turn OFF tiling in Publusher - trying to get an AD to paper- the file is too large - I have 3 pm deadline & you are my last hope! -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Kad Don via OfficeKB.com <forum@nospam.OfficeKB.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I turn OFF tiling in Publusher - trying to get an AD to > paper- the file is too large - I have 3 pm deadline & you are my > last hope! Publisher will always tile unless the paper size is large enough. You neglect to tell us the paper size you are using. You need to set the page size ...

how to install php on vista
I try to install php on window vista by running window installer from php.net. But in Configure IIS, I can not find add new extension (.php) in IIS manager. Also there is no php5isapi.dll in php folder. I try to run test.php on localhost, it gives error message "The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration." Need help to solve this problem. Thanks. On 09 Apr 2010, =?Utf-8?B?eW9yaw==?= <york@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general: > I try to install php on window vista by running wind...

CRM 3 queries / software shortcomings? Help please.
We are looking to implement a CRM system at present, with emphasis on marketing. Having looked at the Microsoft offering there are certain areas that seem very weak. Would anyone with any experience of CRM 3 be able to make any suggestions regards the following: 1] According to an online Microsoft seminar the maximum number of emails that can be sent in one go is c.2,000. Or that is what they said it had been tested to (and passed). We need to send up to 20,000. 2] The whole email tracking seems weak. I understand that sent emails are recorded against the account/contact. B...

need help
I can receive e-mails using outlook, I can send new messages but I cannot reply to e-mails. Any ideas how to fix this? Please provide more information: 1. What version of Outlook? 2. Why can't you reply? Do you get an error message? The reply button is grayed out?? "nparanjpye@appiaec.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1769801c4216d$3b87bd80$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I can receive e-mails using outlook, I can send new > messages but I cannot reply to e-mails. Any ideas how to > fix this? ...

What do I need: multiple nested IIF? Switch()? DateDiff?
Hi again, I have a situation that may call for either a multiple nested IIF, or a Switch(), or a DateDiff, something else I haven't even heard of. Basically, I need to get the number of days during a given month that a given client was in residence. Here's what I need the contol in my report to show: if [Admit Date]>=[Beginning Date], then [Ending Date]-[Admit Date] if [Discharge Date]<=[Ending Date], then [Discharge Date]-[Beginning Date] if [Discharge Date]<=[Ending Date] AND [Admit Date]=>[Beginning Date], then [Discharge Date]-[Admit Date] if [Discharge Date]>[...

Microsoft RMS POS 2.0 & Vista Home Premium
We just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, and we plan on buying Microsoft RMS POS 2.0. Will version 2.0 of RMS POS run on Vista Home Premium? Thanks, Tom While RMS does on on Vista very well, in my opinion but you will want to make sure that all of addional POS hardware will work with Vista as well i.e. scanners, printers. etc... I know that the TPI plug-in from Mercury is not compatible with Vista and neither are the Mini MIRC check readers from Magtek. Having the ability to process checks is not as critical as it once was, as alot of retailers will no longer accept check...

Selecting only specific rows for a Sort
OR, should I define a set of date ranges to cover the dates from the day after the last meeting to the day before the next meeting, for each Group, so that I can simply the select the date range that's appropriate for me to produce a worksheet for it (if you see what I mean)? I'd still use autofilter. (See your previous post.) mkflirting wrote: > > OR, should I define a set of date ranges to cover the dates from the day > after the last meeting to the day before the next meeting, for each Group, so > that I can simply the select the date range that's ap...

Help needed urgently
Hi guys, just want to know if anyone knows of free software that can help me recover a saved over word document. I really need this back. I have found the .tmp file but when you open it the text are all wrong, actually the text doesn't make any sense or words. Keeps saying uncompressed here or compressed there on the word document with all these funny symbols etc. The document I was writing was in Chinese and was done with one of those writting pens. Can someone help me recover my original doc or tell me how to change those mixed symbols back into proper words. A software ...

formula help #63
Hi have formula in cell c1{ =a1&b1} which copies the words from both cells and combines them, how do i put a space between the two copied words within this formula please? any help for an amateur greatly appreciated. thanks =A1&" "&B1" -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Beginner2005" <Beginner2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FFC1128B-82C8-46B1-82C4-EE157A1FCB88@microsoft.com... > Hi > have formula in cell c1{ =a1&b1} which copies the words from both cells > and > comb...

Need Winsock help
Hope someone can help. I have an application that uses the winsock control to get the HTML source from a web page. This Page contains some info that I need which i place into a TextBox. I then parse a link from that page and use this link to get source for 2nd page. On the 2nd Page is a Link to a Picture and I use this to download and save an image. At the same time I have 2 more URL's based on the first getting more info ie fullsummary and synop What seems to happen is 80% of the time all works OK, picture downloads etc the other 20% the second page of source code only ...

Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also. Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM? Thank you. Brian Having 2gig of RAM is a lot better than having 1 GIG or even 512MB. Go for it and you will not regret it -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. ...

I am having some errors on crm. pls help
These are the 2 errors that occur.. they occur simultaneously. I do not know how to fix them. Event Type: Error Event Source: Microsoft Office 11 Event Category: None Event ID: 1000 Date: 2/12/2007 Time: 3:36:10 PM User: N/A Computer: Description: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 11.0.8118.0, stamp 456628bf, faulting module outllib.dll, version 11.0.8118.0, stamp 4566283d, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000355f. Data: 0000: 41 00 70 00 70 00 6c 00 A.p.p.l. 0008: 69 00 63 00 61 00 74 00 i.c.a.t. 0010: 69 00 ...