Missing CD/DVD Drive

Hi,

I have an Acer machine running Vista Home Premium with SP2.  The machine is
now two years old has been working fine until recently.  I am finding that
the DVD drive does not appear in My Computer or Device Manager when the
machine is restarted after being in Sleep mode.  The drive can be restored by
doing a Shut Down.

I have found a few similar problems in this forum but the reports were not
exactly the same so I am reluctant to follow the suggested solution of
editing the Registry in case it does more harm than good.

Any ideas please?
windows.vista.hardware_devices 178 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Graham

See the following

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"grahamt" <grahamt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an Acer machine running Vista Home Premium with SP2.  The machine is
> now two years old has been working fine until recently.  I am finding that
> the DVD drive does not appear in My Computer or Device Manager when the
> machine is restarted after being in Sleep mode.  The drive can be restored by
> doing a Shut Down.
>
> I have found a few similar problems in this forum but the reports were not
> exactly the same so I am reluctant to follow the suggested solution of
> editing the Registry in case it does more harm than good.
>
> Any ideas please?

0
Peter
5/24/2010 1:07:13 AM
Hi Peter

I've tried following the link, deleted the registry entries and checked for
newer drivers but it hasn't made any difference.  The machine still loses the
DVD drive if it is put into sleep mode.  It works correctly if it is put into
hibernate mode.

Any more ideas, please?

Graham.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Graham
>
> See the following
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116
>
> --
> Peter

> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "grahamt" <grahamt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an Acer machine running Vista Home Premium with SP2.  The machine is
> > now two years old has been working fine until recently.  I am finding that
> > the DVD drive does not appear in My Computer or Device Manager when the
> > machine is restarted after being in Sleep mode.  The drive can be restored by
> > doing a Shut Down.
> >
> > I have found a few similar problems in this forum but the reports were not
> > exactly the same so I am reluctant to follow the suggested solution of
> > editing the Registry in case it does more harm than good.
> >
> > Any ideas please?
>
> .

Missing files

Outlook 2007 Missing Mail

Missing Emails #2
From time to time my users report that so-and-so sent them an email but they never got it. Last night my VP sent 2 emails from home and never got them. 1. We have Exchange 2000 server, all clients are Outlook 2. We have Symantec anti-virus for exchange server now I have checked the following: 1. in the Exchange logs [reading them in Excel] I can see the 2 messages arrive and seem to process normally -- HELO,MAIL, RCPT, DATA, QUIT are the 5 lines in the log; the datum on the HELO record says =+sccrmhc13.comcast.net. the Quit record as cs-uri-query of 240. 2. I have searched through...

Finding Outlook on Another Drive
My computer had a system crash so I hooked my hard drive up on my girlfriends computer... I need to open MY Outlook for important dates and email... How do I get to it? I can open my girlfriends Outlook because that's now on her desktop and the master hard drive... I need to open my Outlook from my drive or import the data... I know how to import export but I can't get to it to export data to a file so I can import it on her drive... I hope someone knows what I'm talking about... I need this in the next two days and I don't have time to fix or buy another computer rig...

Missing Folders after Sync

Bin Transfer Entry window missing

Missing Fonts in Word Art

Missing Message Text

HI, Please be patient as the story is long: I migrated my users from a workgroup to a Client/Server network about a month ago. A network using Windows 2000 active Directory. All the clients workstations are Wondows 2000 professional. Before migration, I exported the emails, etc. to a .pst file and after migration imported the same file and all was fine. Last over the weekend our Active Directory server crashed by a Virus supposedly and we had to rebuil the servers, and couldn't have the users logon on to the network to the export/import scenarion again. After the server were re...

New Server Hard Drive configuration
Been working with SBS since version 4.5 and with every server I have used the same hard drive configuration. My primary OS was mirrored on two hard drives and my Projects/Shared Information has been on RAID 5 drives. Is it good practice to keep the mirrored drives for the primary OS or is it ok to use a Raid 5 configuration? Thanks, Allen In my opinion, it is best to have the os mirrored. This way you can break the mirror before running updates or a service pack and if all goes wrong you can put the other drive back in. Glenn "Allen Wadsworth" <AllenWadsw...

Missing Sata Sources
Hi there When I click Data, Get External Data, New Database Query..., there are no data sources listed in the Database list under <New Data Source>. Even the defaults e.g. dBase Files, Microsoft Access Database, Excel Files, etc are not listed. I am using Windows XP Professional with Office 2000. How can I fix this? Thanks Michael ...

What am I missing?
Have PC. Onlyprofile on it is administrator.Me. What am I missing on System Restore. There are partitions that I do not need,or want, for System restore to monitor. But "Drive Settings" in 'System Properties/System Restore' the choices are greyed out. ie; Turn off System Restore(disable by Group Policy) and Turn off System restore on this drive in Drive Settings. I have checked in services in administratyive tools. Botj System restore and RPC and started and on auto. Maybe one could show me what I'm missing. I'm getting too old to remember this stuff...

RMA ( Credit) Missing Line Items

Missing .dll on opening
Upon opening Outlook 2002 I get a message that I am missing MociExt.dll but I cannot get it to reload during any sort of fix or reinstall of Outlook. Any ideas? This started occuring after a recent update I did to Office. John, I don't believe that's a file installed by Office/Outlook. So, my guess is that you have an Outlook add-in that's causing this problem. Please do the following steps to confirm this assumption: 1. Exit Outlook. 2. Press and hold the CTRL key as you launch Outlook. 3. When prompted to start in Safe mode click Yes. Does the error occur? If not, please...

Windows XP Home Edition Config\System Missing
Hi: My 15 year-old daughter has a Gateway system that is 4 years old, running XP Home. Today she encountered a black screen on start-up that essentially states Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM 32\CONFIG. We can't find the Operating System CD for Windows XP Home, and my XP Professional OS disc I read cannot be used instead. I have a read a resolution that requires ijnsertion of the OS XP Home disc; boot from CD; Windows set-up initializes and press "R" to repair recovery console; hard drive is examined; pe...

Scanpst missing
Outlook says there is problem with c:\users\xxx\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst and to run scanpst.exe. I have Vista and after searching computer cannot find the file. Is there a way to download this file? My computer is french so I don't always knowthe translations It's there. Are you using 64bit vista? if so, office is in the 32 bit programs file. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/scanpst.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook T...

Font missing
I created a document in Publisher and printed it. Opened document a week later and received 'font missing' error message. In the Format...Font dialong box the font's name is there with the word (missing) next to it. Where did it go? Are you using a font manager? Maybe the link was broken. Do you have the font somewhere else on your computer? If so install/re-install it. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9390E623-E0FE-498A-AA6...

IMF Console missing??
Hello i just have one question , simple i hope! I use my pc (windows xp pro SP2) with a custom console to administer my domain , exchange , dns , etc... Everything is working fine. Last month i installed on my exchange , the IMF from microsoft. When i am logging on to my exchange machine localy or through RDC i can see in exchange system manager below SMTP ,the IMF icon and i am able to change setting install filters and so on... When i open my console from my pc and use exchange system manager console (i have installed exchange management tools and sp1) i cannot see IMF icon below SMTP Vitu...

Missing Email #4
I am running a 2003 exchange server and one of my users sayes he isn't getting some mail that people say they are sending him. There is a mailbox listed in mailboxes called "Systemmailbox - {GIUD}" there are items listed in there. Could this be the missing mail? And is there anyway to see what these items are. Thanks for any help Damian It won't be in the System Mailbox. The System Mailbox contains schema information. There's generally no reason to ever need to access it unless PSS is instructing you to. As far as your user, make sure that you have message t...

Toolbars Missing, And option to Add Missing
Hi, My Problem is that my normal 'Formatting' toolbar is missing. When I right click on the 'Standard' toolbar to add/view the 'Formatting' the only options i have is: 'Task Pane' & 'Customize'. In 'Customize' the only tool bars listed is the 'Task Pane' & 'Work Sheet Menu Bar' Anyone know how to resolve my Problem... Please Pull-down View > Toolbars There should be about 15 bars listed. if not then select Customize > Toolbars and then push the reset button. -- Gary''s Student "SmeetaG"...

debugging missing images in a CTreeCtrl
Hello, I am having some difficulty trying to debug some missing images in a CTreeCtrl. Essentially, I subclass CDialog and have a CTreeCtrl and CImageList as data members. The CTreeCtrl is supposed to be an expandable tree with each item containing a standard checkbox and a 16x16 solid icon. The problem is that the icons are not showing up at all. I'm wondering where is a good point to start debugging the missing icon images? Things I have verified: 1. The image list is valid and is set as the TVSIL_NORMAL image list for the CTreeCtrl. 2. The bitmaps within the image list are valid (I o...

Missing PB Updates?
Hi, When I check this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsembedded/ce/dd430902.aspx for PB 5.0 updates only the July monthly is listed. But I read somewhere else that there was a September update, which I actually found. Is there also an August release for PB 5.0 and is there another place where the updates are listed? Thanks, Jojje I just saw that there is a potential problem with netowrk in the September update. Is this the reason that it is not listed in the updates site. Regards, Jojje On 9 Nov, 10:16, Jojje <jojje.an...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi,...

Sent Messages Missing
Yesterday, suddenly, all my previously sent messages disappeared from the "Sent Items" folder. To make things ever worse, the messages which I have sent since yesterday are not showing up in the "Sent Items" folder? The messages were received by the recipients! Under the Tools - Option ... Email Options, the "Save copies of message in Sent Items folder" option is checked. What could have been inadvertently changed to cause this? -- Basharat Javaid. Are you sure your view is set correctly? (not set to display only unread items for instance) -- Roady [MV...

Gridlines ok in Excel but linked powerpoint- lines are missing
I have several charts that look just fine in Excel (2003). I have the graphs linked to a powerpoint presentation. In Powerpoint, which major axis gridlines show - up seem random. I have tried resizing the graph. That gets a different subset of gridlines. I want all the gridlines to show-up in the powerpoint presentation. I have deleted and relinked the charts. Linking is a different animal than just pasting as a picture, but I know the latter approach gives unreliable results if (a) gridlines are formatted as hairlines and (b) the chart is not scaled at 100% of its size in Excel. - Jon...

Installing Publisher 2000
My Disk 2 of MS Office 2000 Pro is horribly scratched & won't complete the installation. It gets stuck on the same file every time. I don't really want to have to buy a new one. Any ideas? -- Thanks, Denise Your local CD store will have a CD repair kit that might help. -- "Denise W" <DeniseW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5EC7020-A3D9-4050-9BF8-6F5D714642BB@microsoft.com... > My Disk 2 of MS Office 2000 Pro is horribly scratched & won't complete the > installation. It gets stuck on the same file every time. I don't re...