Windows only recognizes 2GB of RAM and there is 4GB installed

Hi.
I've been having some issues with my laptop and RAM ever since I got it,
and am really getting tired of being so limited by vista on only 2 gigs
of RAM. I have been trying to search for a fix of my problem and haven't
yet found a solution so I'm hoping someone might know what to do.

Here's the issue. I have 4GB of RAM physically installed in the
computer. I've checked bios, and it confirms the 4GB. When I view system
information in windows, it too shows 4GB of RAM installed, but when I
view the task manager, my system resource tab shows only 2GB of physical
memory (not 2.7 GB just 2). I have tried to see if maybe one of the RAM
sticks were bad and so I shutdown and rebooted going through all the
possibilities. Each stick in each slot, the computer would always boot
no matter what slot was filled with what stick, the only thing that
changed was that the bios and windows system info would reflect there
being only one stick of 2GB in the system when there was only one
installed.

I am really at a loss for what to do here and need some help.

Thanks for your time.

--
JKoros
JKoros's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/239800.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
JKoros

JKoros wrote:
> Hi.
> I've been having some issues with my laptop and RAM ever since I
> got it, and am really getting tired of being so limited by vista on
> only 2 gigs of RAM. I have been trying to search for a fix of my
> problem and haven't yet found a solution so I'm hoping someone
> might know what to do.
>
> Here's the issue. I have 4GB of RAM physically installed in the
> computer. I've checked bios, and it confirms the 4GB. When I view
> system information in windows, it too shows 4GB of RAM installed,
> but when I view the task manager, my system resource tab shows only
> 2GB of physical memory (not 2.7 GB just 2). I have tried to see if
> maybe one of the RAM sticks were bad and so I shutdown and rebooted
> going through all the possibilities. Each stick in each slot, the
> computer would always boot no matter what slot was filled with what
> stick, the only thing that changed was that the bios and windows
> system info would reflect there being only one stick of 2GB in the
> system when there was only one installed.
>
> I am really at a loss for what to do here and need some help.
>
> Thanks for your time.

Windows Vista is not enough information.

Make/Model of the system?
Windows Vista _____ Edition with Service Pack _, __-bit?

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
7/2/2010 7:22:19 PM
JKoros <JKoros.4dhh9b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Hi.
>I've been having some issues with my laptop and RAM ever since I got it,
>and am really getting tired of being so limited by vista on only 2 gigs
>of RAM. I have been trying to search for a fix of my problem and haven't
>yet found a solution so I'm hoping someone might know what to do.
>
>Here's the issue. I have 4GB of RAM physically installed in the
>computer. I've checked bios, and it confirms the 4GB. When I view system
>information in windows, it too shows 4GB of RAM installed, but when I
>view the task manager, my system resource tab shows only 2GB of physical
>memory (not 2.7 GB just 2).

Something is using up the other 2GB of address space. How much RAM is
on your video board  - or, since this is a laptop - how much of your
RAM is being given to the video system?

If you have 64-bit hardware,  you might try the 64-bit version of
Vista or Win7. That's drastic, since you have to install from scratch,
there's no upgrade path from 32- to 64-bit systems.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov

|Filename: system info.jpg                                          |
|Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=11162|

JKoros
JKoros's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/239800.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1350519.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
JKoros
7/3/2010 9:05:37 AM
From: "JKoros" <JKoros.4dippb@DoNotSpam.com>

| Here's a screen shot showing system info and task manager, and to answer
| your post Tim there are dedicated video cards. Twin GeForce 8700M GT in
| sli (off the top of my head I think it's 256MB each, but it might be
| 512MB.)

| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
||Filename: system info.jpg                                          |
||Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=11162|
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

You didn't answer my question!

However your screen-shot shows of the system properties shows 4GB RAM on a Dell AlienWare
platfiorm.  Thus yourstatement about two 2GB is as BS as using the leech of Usenet
techarena.in

--
Dave

David
7/3/2010 11:22:48 AM
You have a 32-bit system, so have a maximum address space of 4GB. The
address space includes graphics memory and system BIOSes.

If you have 2x512MB graphics cards them with system BIOSEs you will only
be able to use 2.5GB of the RAM (or less if the other devices are
demanding) because there is no adress space available to map to it.

You need a 64-bit OS if you want to use all 4GB of RAM.

System Properties for 32-bit Vista reports the amount of RAM fitted, not
what is available for use. The Performance tab in Task Manager shows
what is available for use.

On 03/07/2010 10:05, JKoros wrote:
> Here's a screen shot showing system info and task manager, and to answer
> your post Tim there are dedicated video cards. Twin GeForce 8700M GT in
> sli (off the top of my head I think it's 256MB each, but it might be
> 512MB.)

> |Filename: system info.jpg                                          |
> |Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=11162|

Dominic
7/3/2010 11:49:15 AM
I'm really confused by what you mean Dave.
For one, I don't see any question you may have posted... and two, the
problem is that the system info, bios, and most everything else sees 4
physical GB of RAM, but as you can see in task manager, it (task
manager) is only seeing and using 2046MB of RAM... Thus, how can I get
windows to use the RAM that it's supposed to?

I'm not trying to leech or anything, I just am really stumped on what I
should do...

--
JKoros
JKoros's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/239800.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1350519.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
JKoros
7/3/2010 12:01:37 PM
From: "JKoros" <JKoros.4diy1c@DoNotSpam.com>

| I'm really confused by what you mean Dave.
| For one, I don't see any question you may have posted... and two, the
| problem is that the system info, bios, and most everything else sees 4
| physical GB of RAM, but as you can see in task manager, it (task
| manager) is only seeing and using 2046MB of RAM... Thus, how can I get
| windows to use the RAM that it's supposed to?

| I'm not trying to leech or anything, I just am really stumped on what I
| should do...

You are not trying to leaach, you are using techarena.in  which is a leech of Usenet news
groups.

They make beieve that they provide a forum but in actuality the connect to one of the
oldest segments of the Internset, Usenet.

I had previously posted...
"You FAILED to provide both the model and BIOS revision of the un-named laptop.  That's
the kind of information that is needed!

So, what is the make and model of the un-named laptop and what is the BIOS revision ?"

The problem is you didn't state the proper information need.  Your system sees that you
you have 4GB of RAM (as seen by your Sytem Properies screen-shot) installed but due to
overhead the OS has only 2GB availiable to it (as seen by the Performace Monitor).

--
Dave

David
7/3/2010 2:50:48 PM
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 12:49:15 +0100, Dominic Payer wrote:

> You have a 32-bit system, so have a maximum address space of 4GB. The
> address space includes graphics memory and system BIOSes.
>
> If you have 2x512MB graphics cards them with system BIOSEs you will only
> be able to use 2.5GB of the RAM (or less if the other devices are
> demanding) because there is no adress space available to map to it.
>
> You need a 64-bit OS if you want to use all 4GB of RAM.

That's not quite correct. Linux and server versions of MS allow the use
of PAE to offer up to 64gb of RAM on a 32 bit OS - though there is still
a limit of 4gb per process.

> System Properties for 32-bit Vista reports the amount of RAM fitted, not
> what is available for use. The Performance tab in Task Manager shows
> what is available for use.
>

> On 03/07/2010 10:05, JKoros wrote:
>> Here's a screen shot showing system info and task manager, and to
>> answer your post Tim there are dedicated video cards. Twin GeForce
>> 8700M GT in sli (off the top of my head I think it's 256MB each, but it
>> might be 512MB.)
>>

>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>> |Filename: system info.jpg                                          |
>> |Download:
>> http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=11162|
>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

0
ray
7/3/2010 3:03:50 PM
JKoros wrote: > Hi. > I've been having some issues with my laptop and
[...]
Kevin
7/4/2010 9:02:07 AM
David H. Lipman wrote: > From: "JKoros" <JKoros.4dhh9b@DoNotSpam.com>
ever since I got it, > | and am really getting tired of being so
limited by vista on only 2 gigs > | of RAM. I have been trying to
search for a fix of my problem and haven't > | yet found a solution so
I'm hoping someone might know what to do. > > | Here's the issue. I
have 4GB of RAM physically installed in the > | computer. I've checked
bios, and it confirms the 4GB. When I view system > | information in
windows, it too shows 4GB of RAM installed, but when I > | view the
task manager, my system resource tab shows only 2GB of physical > |
memory (not 2.7 GB just 2). I have tried to see if maybe one of the
RAM > | sticks were bad and so I shutdown and rebooted going through
all the > | possibilities. Each stick in each slot, the computer would
always boot > | no matter what slot was filled with what stick, the
only thing that > | changed was that the bios and windows
0
Kevin
7/4/2010 9:09:04 AM
JKoros <JKoros.4dippb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Here's a screen shot showing system info and task manager, and to answer
>your post Tim there are dedicated video cards. Twin GeForce 8700M GT in
>sli (off the top of my head I think it's 256MB each, but it might be
>512MB.)

Two 512MB graphics boards would eat up 1GB of memory space, leaving
you with 3GB for everything else. From that subtract space to map your
BIOS and you're getting close to what your system shows.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov
http://members.cox.net/slatteryt
0
Tim
7/6/2010 1:16:10 PM
In correct windows xp or vista or 7 32 bit versions will only see a max of
4GIG'S of ram.
64 bit versions of xp vista or 7 will see up to 64 GIG of ram.
but most system maker's limit it to 16 or less.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"ray" <ray@zianet.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 12:49:15 +0100, Dominic Payer wrote:
>
>> You have a 32-bit system, so have a maximum address space of 4GB. The
>> address space includes graphics memory and system BIOSes.
>>
>> If you have 2x512MB graphics cards them with system BIOSEs you will only
>> be able to use 2.5GB of the RAM (or less if the other devices are
>> demanding) because there is no adress space available to map to it.
>>
>> You need a 64-bit OS if you want to use all 4GB of RAM.
>
> That's not quite correct. Linux and server versions of MS allow the use
> of PAE to offer up to 64gb of RAM on a 32 bit OS - though there is still
> a limit of 4gb per process.
>

>> System Properties for 32-bit Vista reports the amount of RAM fitted, not
>> what is available for use. The Performance tab in Task Manager shows
>> what is available for use.
>>

>> On 03/07/2010 10:05, JKoros wrote:
>>> Here's a screen shot showing system info and task manager, and to
>>> answer your post Tim there are dedicated video cards. Twin GeForce
>>> 8700M GT in sli (off the top of my head I think it's 256MB each, but it
>>> might be 512MB.)
>>>

>>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>>> |Filename: system info.jpg                                          |
>>> http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=11162|
>>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+

0
Andy
7/7/2010 7:32:19 AM
<snipped>

Andy wrote:
> In correct windows xp or vista or 7 32 bit versions will only see a
> max of 4GIG'S of ram.
> 64 bit versions of xp vista or 7 will see up to 64 GIG of ram.
> but most system maker's limit it to 16 or less.

Did you make the first 'word' two words on purpose?  ;-)

Anyway - check this out:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

Things like, "The following table specifies the limits on physical memory
for Windows Server 2003. Limits over 4 GB for 32-bit Windows assume that PAE
is enabled." and "The following table specifies the limits on physical
memory for Windows Server 2008. Limits greater than 4 GB for 32-bit Windows
assume that PAE is enabled." seem to prove the point of whom you responded
to.

You are correct in what you state *after* the strangely split word
"incorrect" to a point.  That is, in your words, "windows xp or vista or 7
32 bit versions will only see a max of 4GIG'S of ram" (as long as we ignore
"starter" editions.)  However, the next statement, "64 bit versions of xp
vista or 7 will see up to 64 GIG of ram." is short a bit and your "but most
system maker's limit it to 16 or less" (where I assume you are speaking
about hardware manufacturers/resellers) is missing a key phrase IMHO,
"consumer level". ;-)

The "Incorrect" statement is wrong here because who you are responding to
specified, "server versions of MS " and you went consumer level - but
correct in that they only allowed for 64GB and that number varies wildly and
has a maximum of 128GB in two cases ("Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter
Edition 32-bit" and "Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition 32-bit".)

Google.  It can be your friend.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan

reinstalling windows

Windows live mail

Windows Vista

open windows

Can't install Exchange System Manager 2003..
Hi, The OS is Windows Server 2003 SP1 (only 1 partition, the free disk space is only 8 GB) and actually what I'm trying to do is to have a mailbox for a user from Domain B but the Exchange 2003 is in Domain A. Domain A (domainA.hq.com) and B (domainB.hq.com) are under one forest. I have checked some of the emails that were sent to this newsgroup and they suggested that I just need to install the Exchange System Manager on Domain B but I can't proceed with the "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" installation wizard (Exchange 2003 Std Edt CD). I'm stuck ...

Windows pdate Status: Failed

Windows Explorer doesn't show keywords

Outlook Mail not working with Windows 7

Setup could not find any available products to install. Office 200
Hello! Clicking "Change" button in "Programs and features" with Office 2007 Trial selected gives an error "Setup Error Setup could not find any available products to install. Please contact your systm administrator." in Windows 7 x64. Running setup from Office 2007 Trial downloaded file to change components works OK. How to make the "Change" button work? Windows Update suggests to install 125kb Office 2007 SP1 repeatedly. I agree to install every time, but Windows Update suggests to install it again next time. This began to happen after un...

Windows recovery console

windows messenger/Outlook 2002

Install error : report module
Hi, does someone met such message error when loading the Crystal report module ? " Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Assembly microsoft.crm.platform.types.dll security permission grant set is incompatible between appdomains. Source Error: Line 5: <assemblies> Line 6: <add assembly="Microsoft.Crm.Platform.ComProxy, Version=1.0.0000.0, Culture=neutr...

Windows update error

How Do I Remove Page # From Cover Sheet w/ Windows 2007?
I am writing a paper in Windows 2007 and cannot have a page number on the cover sheet. Help! Thanks : ) Presumably you mean Word 2007 since (a) there is no Windows 2007 and (b) Windows is not a word processor. Click in the header/footer to open it. In the Options group of the contextual Header & Footer Tools | Design tab, check the box for "Different First Page." Leave the First Page Header/Footer empty. If you need to start the numbering with 1 on the the second page, click on Page Number, choose Format Page Numbers, and change the "Page numbering" set...

We can't sign you in to Windows Live Messenger
For several days I've been unable to sign in to Windows Live Messenger. I keep getting the same error: "Signing in to Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later" Error code 80048820 I've clicked troubleshoot to try to fix this problem, but troubleshoot couldn't find anything wrong. I've tried to reset my password, but this doesn't seem to work, because on the change password page I have to enter those security numbers and letters but they don't appear. When I listened to the audio and...

Windows Workflow Foundation
Any one know of a good VB example on the above subject.. any links would be greatful Simon After much searching and trawling through C# examples that as its friday i didn't want to convert.. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2e575633-e357-4ee7-aaff-34138f00e830&displaylang=en Simon "Simon Whale" <simon@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23zfF5ScwKHA.1692@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Any one know of a good VB example on the above subject.. any links would > be greatful > > > Simon > ...

windows mail window
When I press send or receive, I get the emails but an error message appears. There is nothing left in the draft file and I eliminated the email that wouldn't go through. I want to clear this message from the windows mail window. Please help me. Jackie Carpenter What does the error message say? Right-click on it, select Copy, then paste it into a reply here. -- Windows 7 Ultimate http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview http://download.live.com/wlmail "jwcarpenter" <jwcarpenter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B5D0223-EE44-4C4E-9...

Non English fonts (Greek) not working in Windows XP SP3
I had a collection of Greek fonts which used to work fine with other versions of Windows (Windows 98). Recently I found the CD on which there were saved and tried to play these Greek fonts on Windows XP SP3, but they were not recognised. I tried them both in Windows English and Greek versions. What could be wrong? Thank you, Paul ...

Constant Popping Up of Windows Live Mail
My Windows Live Mail pops up on my screen about every 15 to 30 seconds. Have tried signing out also man other things. Any help would be much appreciated to either stop popups or to delete all together. You could delete it altogether if you don't use it. Which mail client program do you use? --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "Zancherito" <Zancherito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:995B1E2D-D99D-466F-8593-4C7EA410E4BD@microsoft.com... > My Windows Live Mail pops up on m...