Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

I have purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop that came with Vista x86 (32
bit) installed but with a free 'upgrade' to Windows 7 x86.  I have a
'desktop' and an update copy of Windows 7 (legit) that came with both 32 and
64 bit disks.  I have installed the 64 bit version onto the desktop.  I want
to install the 64 bit version of Win7 onto my laptop  but Microsoft insist
they will only provide the 32 bit version as I am 'updating' from a 32 bit
version. (seems that they are being simply bloody minded).  My question is
can I successfully install the 64 bit version (I have the disk) and activate
it using the 'key' that will come with the 32 bit OEM upgrade?  The possible
problem I anticipate is the 32 bit version will be an OEM version whereas
the 64 bit disk that I have is of the MS vanilla variety.  Anyone with any
experience of this?

I note that the serial number of Vista loaded onto the laptop includes the
designator OEM.  Does that mean that any key used to register the OS will
need to have a similar key, that is including the designator OEM.

While I know I will not be abiding strictly to the terms of the license by
doing what I want to do,  there is no loss to Microsoft.  In my op[inion I
am not denying Microsoft of anything to which they are entitled..

0
Edward

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
> I have purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop that came with Vista
> x86 (32 bit) installed but with a free 'upgrade' to Windows 7 x86. I have
> a 'desktop' and an update copy of Windows 7 (legit) that
> came with both 32 and 64 bit disks.  I have installed the 64 bit
> version onto the desktop.  I want to install the 64 bit version of
> Win7 onto my laptop  but Microsoft insist they will only provide
> the 32 bit version as I am 'updating' from a 32 bit version. (seems
> that they are being simply bloody minded).  My question is can I
> successfully install the 64 bit version (I have the disk) and
> activate it using the 'key' that will come with the 32 bit OEM
> upgrade?  The possible problem I anticipate is the 32 bit version
> will be an OEM version whereas the 64 bit disk that I have is of
> the MS vanilla variety.  Anyone with any experience of this?
> I note that the serial number of Vista loaded onto the laptop
> includes the designator OEM.  Does that mean that any key used to
> register the OS will need to have a similar key, that is including
> the designator OEM.
> While I know I will not be abiding strictly to the terms of the
> license by doing what I want to do,  there is no loss to Microsoft.
> In my op[inion I am not denying Microsoft of anything to which they
> are entitled..

No.  Product keys do not work like that.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
> Edward W. Thompson wrote:
>> I have purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop that came with Vista
>> x86 (32 bit) installed but with a free 'upgrade' to Windows 7 x86. I have
>> a 'desktop' and an update copy of Windows 7 (legit) that
>> came with both 32 and 64 bit disks.  I have installed the 64 bit
>> version onto the desktop.  I want to install the 64 bit version of
>> Win7 onto my laptop  but Microsoft insist they will only provide
>> the 32 bit version as I am 'updating' from a 32 bit version. (seems
>> that they are being simply bloody minded).  My question is can I
>> successfully install the 64 bit version (I have the disk) and
>> activate it using the 'key' that will come with the 32 bit OEM
>> upgrade?  The possible problem I anticipate is the 32 bit version
>> will be an OEM version whereas the 64 bit disk that I have is of
>> the MS vanilla variety.  Anyone with any experience of this?
>> I note that the serial number of Vista loaded onto the laptop
>> includes the designator OEM.  Does that mean that any key used to
>> register the OS will need to have a similar key, that is including
>> the designator OEM.
>> While I know I will not be abiding strictly to the terms of the
>> license by doing what I want to do,  there is no loss to Microsoft.
>> In my op[inion I am not denying Microsoft of anything to which they
>> are entitled..
>
> No.  Product keys do not work like that.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>     MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
I had no idea you could install a 64bit OS on a 32 bit system......

0
Mark
12/13/2009 2:32:23 PM
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> I had no idea you could install a 64bit OS on a 32 bit system......

Most computers nowadays have 64 bit processors.
AMD, long ago.

0
iso
12/13/2009 3:09:19 PM
"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I have purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop that came with Vista x86 (32
> bit) installed but with a free 'upgrade' to Windows 7 x86.  I have a
> 'desktop' and an update copy of Windows 7 (legit) that came with both 32
> and 64 bit disks.  I have installed the 64 bit version onto the desktop.
> I want to install the 64 bit version of Win7 onto my laptop  but Microsoft
> insist they will only provide the 32 bit version as I am 'updating' from a
> 32 bit version. (seems that they are being simply bloody minded).  My
> question is can I successfully install the 64 bit version (I have the
> disk) and activate it using the 'key' that will come with the 32 bit OEM
> upgrade?  The possible problem I anticipate is the 32 bit version will be
> an OEM version whereas the 64 bit disk that I have is of the MS vanilla
> variety.  Anyone with any experience of this?
>
> I note that the serial number of Vista loaded onto the laptop includes the
> designator OEM.  Does that mean that any key used to register the OS will
> need to have a similar key, that is including the designator OEM.
>
> While I know I will not be abiding strictly to the terms of the license by
> doing what I want to do,  there is no loss to Microsoft.  In my op[inion I
> am not denying Microsoft of anything to which they are entitled..

My only experience with this type of thing is somewhat dated, but it would
indicate that an OEM key will not work with the retail product.

In addition, I hope you know that you *cannot* upgrade an existing x86
install to x64 anything. You must do a clean install. Also, you need to be
sure that you can obtain *all* needed  64 bit drivers for your laptop's
hardware.
Does Acer supply x64 drivers for your model?

0
PvdG42
12/13/2009 3:56:44 PM

"PvdG42" <pvdg42@toadstool.edu> wrote in message

> "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I have purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop that came with Vista x86 (32
>> bit) installed but with a free 'upgrade' to Windows 7 x86.  I have a
>> 'desktop' and an update copy of Windows 7 (legit) that came with both 32
>> and 64 bit disks.  I have installed the 64 bit version onto the desktop.
>> I want to install the 64 bit version of Win7 onto my laptop  but
>> Microsoft insist they will only provide the 32 bit version as I am
>> 'updating' from a 32 bit version. (seems that they are being simply
>> bloody minded).  My question is can I successfully install the 64 bit
>> version (I have the disk) and activate it using the 'key' that will come
>> with the 32 bit OEM upgrade?  The possible problem I anticipate is the 32
>> bit version will be an OEM version whereas the 64 bit disk that I have is
>> of the MS vanilla variety.  Anyone with any experience of this?
>>
>> I note that the serial number of Vista loaded onto the laptop includes
>> the designator OEM.  Does that mean that any key used to register the OS
>> will need to have a similar key, that is including the designator OEM.
>>
>> While I know I will not be abiding strictly to the terms of the license
>> by doing what I want to do,  there is no loss to Microsoft.  In my
>> op[inion I am not denying Microsoft of anything to which they are
>> entitled..
>
> My only experience with this type of thing is somewhat dated, but it would
> indicate that an OEM key will not work with the retail product.
>
> In addition, I hope you know that you *cannot* upgrade an existing x86
> install to x64 anything. You must do a clean install. Also, you need to be
> sure that you can obtain *all* needed  64 bit drivers for your laptop's
> hardware.
> Does Acer supply x64 drivers for your model?

Thank you and all other who have responded.

Yes I am aware that I would need to do a 'clean/custom' install and 'yes'
the appropriate 64 bit drivers are all available.

 I was hoping for a clear answer to the question, that is either an OEM key
will/will not activate the retail product but it seems that no one is sure
although the impression is it is unlikely.  I suppose nothing is lost to try
and that is what I shall do.  In some respect I don't think there is much if
anything to be gained by installing the 64 bit version but I would like to
have both desktop and laptop on identical OSes

0
Edward
12/14/2009 5:55:03 AM
"Nat�ag" <cquimoi@vide.com> wrote in message
>>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>> I had no idea you could install a 64bit OS on a 32 bit system......
>
> Most computers nowadays have 64 bit processors.
> AMD, long ago.

I still have 3 machines running 32 bit moboards / cpu's.......

0
Mark

upgrading a "secondary" PST file to Outlook 2003 format
I have a "secondary" Outlook PST file that I use only some of the time. I just noticed that it is still in Outlook 97-2002 format, and I want to upgrade it to Outlook 2003 format. How do I do that. Some time ago, Outlook prompted me to convert my main PST file to 2003 format, but I can't find a way to convert other PST files. I searched the MS Knowledge Base but could find nothing of help. Thanks, I Live On Outlook F1 help will be your guide. "Convert to unicode .pst" --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact...

Database size after upgrading from Standard to Enterprise
Hi all, Due to database size limitation issues on our Exchange 2000 Standard Edition server, I have recently upgraded to Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition. After doing so, I am still getting Event ID 1221 showing low disk space: The database "First Storage Group\Private Information Store (MAILSERVER)" has 971 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated. I was under the impression that I wouldn't have to worry about database size, other than growing too large for the disk, if I upgraded to Enterprise edition? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank...

IsOS(...) function for Vista?
Hi, is the IsOS(...) function supported on Vista and if yes, how can i determine the different version of vista and if not,...anyway, how can i determine the different windows vista version . The GetVersion(Ex) does not provide enough information to make a usefull difference between all the Vista Versions,...and how can i see a difference between XP Home and Profesional,...? Regards Kerem -- -- ----------------------- Beste Gr�sse / Best regards / Votre bien devoue Kerem G�mr�kc� Microsoft Live Space: http://kerem-g.spaces.live.com/ Latest Open-Source Projects: http://entwicklung.junet...

Office for MAC won't upgrade, not even download the upgrade...
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi... I have an iMac 3.06Ghz with 4Gig RAm installed and Office for Mac Home and Student Edition that is running Leopard. I did upgrade to Snow Leopard (Upgrade, not clean install...) and everything went well with the upgrade. I then opened Word and an update window popped up (asking to upgrade to 12.2.1). I did download the upgrade with no issues but, when it's time to run it, it says that Office Update can't find the folder where Office for Mac is installed. I then have no choice than quitting the upgrad...

Unable to install MS Money 2007 on Vista
I've recently upgraded to a new Dell E521 which came with Vista installed. But I cannot download or install MS Money 2007. Anyone have any ideas? Is MS Money 2007 Deluxe not compatible with Vista? Thanks, Keatime In microsoft.public.money, keatime wrote: >I've recently upgraded to a new Dell E521 which came with Vista installed. >But I cannot download or install MS Money 2007. So it came with Money Essentials installed perhaps? You want to install Money 2007 Deluxe instead I would guess. Were you a previous user of Money 2007 Deluxe , or are you trying to upgrade th...

Upgrade to CRM 3.0 Small Business Edition?
We recently purchased CRM 1.2 for Small Business Server 2003 Professional (Sales Force). With the Software Assurance-Open Service Plan, will we be able to get a free upgrade to Microsoft CRM 3.0 Small Business Edition when it becomes available? as you have the software assurance plan my information says that you will get an upgrade to v3 when its released -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "DonnaDea" <DonnaDea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:909F3C72-5FAC-4C83-A94A-40C0C253AFF8@microsoft.com... > We recently purchased CRM ...

Upgrading from 7.0 to 8.0
Can you upgrade directly from 7.0 to 8.0 or do I have to do a 7.5 upgrade? you can upgrade directly HS "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4774E6D3-7A22-4F07-9DC3-0E1804B829CF@microsoft.com... > Can you upgrade directly from 7.0 to 8.0 or do I have to do a 7.5 upgrade? No you have to go to 7.5 first then v8. "HSalim" <HSalim@msn.com> wrote in message news:u8lzwb62EHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > you can upgrade directly > HS > > > "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message &g...

Ofc Prof 2000 & Vista
Has anyone written something that will make Win Prof 2000 run as XP compatible with the Vista OS ? I'm still trying.......Thanks! No "Bubey" <catlov@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:u5yYkidtKHA.4220@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Has anyone written something that will make Win Prof 2000 run as XP > compatible with the Vista OS ? I'm still trying.......Thanks! > "Bubey" <catlov@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:u5yYkidtKHA.4220@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Has anyone written something that will make Win Prof 2000 ru...

Why Outlook 2000 can't find WAB.DLL file on Vista?
I have installed Office 2000 on my new laptop - Windows Vista. I keep getting the error from Outlook that it cannot find the WAB.DLL file. It is becoming quite annoying to have this message keep popping up on my screen. Can I get it somewhere? TIA, Susan "Stargazing Susan" <Stargazing Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C9953C4-A0A0-4754-9528-0808C34EBFA1@microsoft.com... >I have installed Office 2000 on my new laptop - Windows Vista. I keep > getting the error from Outlook that it cannot find the WAB.DLL file. It is > becom...

Upgrade from Exchange 2000 to Exchange server 2003
I currently running Exchange 2000 server in a one domain forest. We have one Windows server 2003 DC and three windows 2000 server DC. The Windows Server 2003 is the FSMO. All DCs are GC. The Exchange 2000 Server is running on a member server and on Windows 2000 server OS. I want to upgrade to Windows Server 2003, what is the best way to do this? I have a new server installed with Windows Server 2003 as a member server. I am thinking of installing the Exchange server 2003 on this box. What is the best approach to upgrade the Exchange Server to 2003. sounds like a good idea; instal...

server upgrade/reload
We currently have a Windows 2000 SBS server. It is used as a mail and file server only. My boss would like to upgrade to Windows 2003 SBS, and our hardware more than meets the minimum requirements for that. The question I have is based around the fact that he wants to blow the 2000 server completely out, then load a fresh '03. I am having trouble locating documentation on how best to approach this idea, with respect to the Exchange database and settings. Should I upgrade to '03 first, then attempt to backup and restore from there? Or do I backup the 2000 database, then ins...

WorkFlow doesn'work after upgrade from 1.2 to 3.0
after the upgrade the work flow rule work bad. incident work flow rule dont't start . Lead workflow rule are paused. If I apply the rule manuale they work goods. Have you got any idea? Thanks What do you mean "work flow rule work bad" do you have more information from the workflow monitor or the event viewer? Pete -- PETE OROLOGAS "Deshimaru" <Deshimaru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39EFD468-6863-4F75-A2A5-789EDDCB3B0B@microsoft.com... > after the upgrade the work flow rule work bad. > incident work flow rule dont't start . ...

Fix: Visio 2007 x64 Hangs During Database model Creation
I'm posting this here, so hopefully others will have an easier time finding the solution than I did... On Windows XP (x64) Visio 2007 hangs when I try to create a new database model diagram. Performing a "repair" doesn't help at all. For some reason, turning off the "Print Spooler" Service makes things work just fine. I have no idea why this is, but it did the trick. -- Chris Mullins, MCSD.NET, MCPD:Enterprise, MVP C# http://www.coversant.net/blogs/cmullins Hi Chris, Thanks for sharing this information. Do you see the hang when creating other new draw...

Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x86.msu fails to install
Hello all! I am trying to install "Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x86.msu" update which is required by .NET Framework 4.0, and the installation just fails saying: "The following updates were not installed: Update for Windows (KB958488)" Any one knows what this update is for? And how to see the log why it fails? Thanks! Wild guesses include: Is .NET Framework 4.0 Beta still installed? Are you attempting to install this update manually? [Can't find a KB958488 anywhere.] Are you still running Win7 RC? Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Web Installer): ...

Upgrade queries
Hi, We have 3 Windows 2000/Exchange 2000 servers in our organisation. We have just bought a new server to replace one of these 3. In the next few months we plan to replace them all. I plan to install Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on the new server. I was just wondering if there are any compatibility issues or things that I should watch out for regarding a mixed 2000/2003 Exchange environment? I was going to add the new server into the Exchange environment with all 3 old servers still running online. Then I was simply going to move all mailboxes that reside on the server getting replaced t...

re: upgrade to money 2006
i was running money 2003 just upgraded to money 2006 basic it was not a smooth upgrade now when i open money 2006 i get money 2001 trying to install and the program asks for the 2001 cd for money to continue installing the program i don't have the money 2001 cd nor do i want to install it any ideas thanks david ...

Vista WH_JOURNALPLAYBACK
One of my clients contacted me about a Vista problem he's having. This is a fairly complicated scenario. He has two Win16 apps. One is a binary from a company that no longer produces the product (and never made a 32-bit version). His value-added is a Win16 app that makes its interface usable. The problem is that only on SOME Vista installations is there a problem. Others are working fine. And he's got at least one XP SP1 site that has a similar problem. The manifestation of the problem is that the WH_JOURNALPLAYBACK is not working. I've seen some discussion here, but in...

Upgrade From Money 2004 to 2005
I was running Money 2004 Deluxe with no problems and then converted to Money 2005. When I click on the Portfolio Manager icon, the screen that appears only has today's date, "Portfolio Manager", and "Quotes delayed at least 20 minutes" below the dark blue line that starts with "investing Home". Nothing else is on the page below the blue line...no investments, and no menu on the left. I could sure use some help on this one.... ...

Vista 10-25-07
Is there any REALLY good reason to upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to the Windows Vista Ultimate? -- Eykleidis Wrong news group, but that depends strictly on what you want to do in Vista. I personally will not use anything less than Ultimate, but as a developer that is what my requirements are. I also have an MSDN subscription that allows me to install the "flavour" I may need for testing., -- The personal opinion of Gary G. Little "Eykleidis" <eykleidis21@yahoo.gr> wrote in message news:Ojb7jRrFIHA.5208@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Is there any...

CRM 4.0 upgrade questions
Hi all, Now that we're all upgraded to CRM 4.0, questions have popped up: - Can one move the folders in the CRM Outlook client around, like Explorer folders? This was possible in 3.0. - Company information of Contacts in Outlook is supposed to synchronize now with CRM but it does not. I made sure the necessary checkbox is checked in CRM --> Options. This worked fine in a 4.0 test environment. - I know only 1 PC can be the sync PC with CRM but I wonder if a Citrix client can be a sync PC as well, in addition to a physical PC. - This is question for 3.0 and 4.0: We have a new custom ent...

upgrade from vc++ 6.0 to .net 2005 ?
I am working on some legacy projects written in vc++ 6.0 and MFC. Primarily being a g++ developer on Linux and Solaris, I dont really appreciate the vc++ 6.0 compiler much. Having said that, is it worth the upgdrade to vs .net 2005 from 6.0 ? Will I be able to compile this old mfc code as is ? Or will it require a re-write. (Have the mfc libraries changed drastically ?) My dependencies are stl, vs flexgrid control and database ifce to mysql and ace. (The mix of ace and vc++ 6.0 is pretty bad anyway. I am still working on this one). If the database is odbc, then it should be fine. stl and ac...

Upgrade to 4.0 workflow process taking forever
I am in the middle of an upgrade and it is taking hours to finish. It is stuck on the Setup.Server.WorkflowUPgradeAction process update and the progress bar is not moving at all. When I go to the CRM server it comes up with 4.0. Im not sure if I should kill the server or not and how to rollback 3 if I need to. It is taken about a day for this. Thanks Hi J; I'm surprised it hasn't died on it's own. I've been through this before and if it dies during the workflow upgrade, everything else in CRM is fine, but your workflows (and all their log history) might not be usa...

Vista won't sleep
Yodelleyodellelay!!! I've Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba P200 Laptop and here's the tummy-turning experience I'm having. I've set the power options for the computer to "go to sleep" in 20 minutes. I've gone to the Power Options then "change power options" and there have set the "sleep" for twenty minutes. The weird and wonderful thing is, if I reboot the computer, this will work for say, three or four times, then it doesn't after that. I've set the "when sharing media" in the Multimedia Settings to "preve...

mac 2008 upgrade
I recently purchased a mac book along with microsoft office and i was told if i filled out a sheet and mailed it in with a amount of money that i would receive the upgrade in the mail. when will i be receiving this upgrade software. On 2/29/08 4:50 PM, in article ee8f42c.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "blutc2006@officeformac.com" <blutc2006@officeformac.com> wrote: > I recently purchased a mac book along with microsoft office and i was told if > i filled out a sheet and mailed it in with a amount of money that i would > receive the upgrade in the mail. when will i be re...

Removing the Active Directory Connector after upgrade
I started out with an Exchange 5.5 server which I upgraded to an Exchange 2003 server. I have now added a new Exchange 2003 server, moved all of the mailboxes, folders, etc. and have removed the original Exchange 2003 server from the site. However, in Active Directory Sites and Services, the old server still shows up with an Exchange subfolder and the Active Directory Connector I installed back when I did the 5.5 upgrade. Can I just delete this connector and server or is there something more to it? -Bryan Hello Bryan, I ran into the same problem before on an Ex2k environment. We...