Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

I have purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop that came with Vista x86 (32
bit) installed but with a free 'upgrade' to Windows 7 x86.  I have a
'desktop' and an update copy of Windows 7 (legit) that came with both 32 and
64 bit disks.  I have installed the 64 bit version onto the desktop.  I want
to install the 64 bit version of Win7 onto my laptop  but Microsoft insist
they will only provide the 32 bit version as I am 'updating' from a 32 bit
version. (seems that they are being simply bloody minded).  My question is
can I successfully install the 64 bit version (I have the disk) and activate
it using the 'key' that will come with the 32 bit OEM upgrade?  The possible
problem I anticipate is the 32 bit version will be an OEM version whereas
the 64 bit disk that I have is of the MS vanilla variety.  Anyone with any
experience of this?

I note that the serial number of Vista loaded onto the laptop includes the
designator OEM.  Does that mean that any key used to register the OS will
need to have a similar key, that is including the designator OEM.

While I know I will not be abiding strictly to the terms of the license by
doing what I want to do,  there is no loss to Microsoft.  In my op[inion I
am not denying Microsoft of anything to which they are entitled..

0
Edward

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
> I have purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop that came with Vista
> x86 (32 bit) installed but with a free 'upgrade' to Windows 7 x86. I have
> a 'desktop' and an update copy of Windows 7 (legit) that
> came with both 32 and 64 bit disks.  I have installed the 64 bit
> version onto the desktop.  I want to install the 64 bit version of
> Win7 onto my laptop  but Microsoft insist they will only provide
> the 32 bit version as I am 'updating' from a 32 bit version. (seems
> that they are being simply bloody minded).  My question is can I
> successfully install the 64 bit version (I have the disk) and
> activate it using the 'key' that will come with the 32 bit OEM
> upgrade?  The possible problem I anticipate is the 32 bit version
> will be an OEM version whereas the 64 bit disk that I have is of
> the MS vanilla variety.  Anyone with any experience of this?
> I note that the serial number of Vista loaded onto the laptop
> includes the designator OEM.  Does that mean that any key used to
> register the OS will need to have a similar key, that is including
> the designator OEM.
> While I know I will not be abiding strictly to the terms of the
> license by doing what I want to do,  there is no loss to Microsoft.
> In my op[inion I am not denying Microsoft of anything to which they
> are entitled..

No.  Product keys do not work like that.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
> Edward W. Thompson wrote:
>> I have purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop that came with Vista
>> x86 (32 bit) installed but with a free 'upgrade' to Windows 7 x86. I have
>> a 'desktop' and an update copy of Windows 7 (legit) that
>> came with both 32 and 64 bit disks.  I have installed the 64 bit
>> version onto the desktop.  I want to install the 64 bit version of
>> Win7 onto my laptop  but Microsoft insist they will only provide
>> the 32 bit version as I am 'updating' from a 32 bit version. (seems
>> that they are being simply bloody minded).  My question is can I
>> successfully install the 64 bit version (I have the disk) and
>> activate it using the 'key' that will come with the 32 bit OEM
>> upgrade?  The possible problem I anticipate is the 32 bit version
>> will be an OEM version whereas the 64 bit disk that I have is of
>> the MS vanilla variety.  Anyone with any experience of this?
>> I note that the serial number of Vista loaded onto the laptop
>> includes the designator OEM.  Does that mean that any key used to
>> register the OS will need to have a similar key, that is including
>> the designator OEM.
>> While I know I will not be abiding strictly to the terms of the
>> license by doing what I want to do,  there is no loss to Microsoft.
>> In my op[inion I am not denying Microsoft of anything to which they
>> are entitled..
>
> No.  Product keys do not work like that.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>     MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
I had no idea you could install a 64bit OS on a 32 bit system......

0
Mark
12/13/2009 2:32:23 PM
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> I had no idea you could install a 64bit OS on a 32 bit system......

Most computers nowadays have 64 bit processors.
AMD, long ago.

0
iso
12/13/2009 3:09:19 PM
"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I have purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop that came with Vista x86 (32
> bit) installed but with a free 'upgrade' to Windows 7 x86.  I have a
> 'desktop' and an update copy of Windows 7 (legit) that came with both 32
> and 64 bit disks.  I have installed the 64 bit version onto the desktop.
> I want to install the 64 bit version of Win7 onto my laptop  but Microsoft
> insist they will only provide the 32 bit version as I am 'updating' from a
> 32 bit version. (seems that they are being simply bloody minded).  My
> question is can I successfully install the 64 bit version (I have the
> disk) and activate it using the 'key' that will come with the 32 bit OEM
> upgrade?  The possible problem I anticipate is the 32 bit version will be
> an OEM version whereas the 64 bit disk that I have is of the MS vanilla
> variety.  Anyone with any experience of this?
>
> I note that the serial number of Vista loaded onto the laptop includes the
> designator OEM.  Does that mean that any key used to register the OS will
> need to have a similar key, that is including the designator OEM.
>
> While I know I will not be abiding strictly to the terms of the license by
> doing what I want to do,  there is no loss to Microsoft.  In my op[inion I
> am not denying Microsoft of anything to which they are entitled..

My only experience with this type of thing is somewhat dated, but it would
indicate that an OEM key will not work with the retail product.

In addition, I hope you know that you *cannot* upgrade an existing x86
install to x64 anything. You must do a clean install. Also, you need to be
sure that you can obtain *all* needed  64 bit drivers for your laptop's
hardware.
Does Acer supply x64 drivers for your model?

0
PvdG42
12/13/2009 3:56:44 PM

"PvdG42" <pvdg42@toadstool.edu> wrote in message

> "Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I have purchased an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop that came with Vista x86 (32
>> bit) installed but with a free 'upgrade' to Windows 7 x86.  I have a
>> 'desktop' and an update copy of Windows 7 (legit) that came with both 32
>> and 64 bit disks.  I have installed the 64 bit version onto the desktop.
>> I want to install the 64 bit version of Win7 onto my laptop  but
>> Microsoft insist they will only provide the 32 bit version as I am
>> 'updating' from a 32 bit version. (seems that they are being simply
>> bloody minded).  My question is can I successfully install the 64 bit
>> version (I have the disk) and activate it using the 'key' that will come
>> with the 32 bit OEM upgrade?  The possible problem I anticipate is the 32
>> bit version will be an OEM version whereas the 64 bit disk that I have is
>> of the MS vanilla variety.  Anyone with any experience of this?
>>
>> I note that the serial number of Vista loaded onto the laptop includes
>> the designator OEM.  Does that mean that any key used to register the OS
>> will need to have a similar key, that is including the designator OEM.
>>
>> While I know I will not be abiding strictly to the terms of the license
>> by doing what I want to do,  there is no loss to Microsoft.  In my
>> op[inion I am not denying Microsoft of anything to which they are
>> entitled..
>
> My only experience with this type of thing is somewhat dated, but it would
> indicate that an OEM key will not work with the retail product.
>
> In addition, I hope you know that you *cannot* upgrade an existing x86
> install to x64 anything. You must do a clean install. Also, you need to be
> sure that you can obtain *all* needed  64 bit drivers for your laptop's
> hardware.
> Does Acer supply x64 drivers for your model?

Thank you and all other who have responded.

Yes I am aware that I would need to do a 'clean/custom' install and 'yes'
the appropriate 64 bit drivers are all available.

 I was hoping for a clear answer to the question, that is either an OEM key
will/will not activate the retail product but it seems that no one is sure
although the impression is it is unlikely.  I suppose nothing is lost to try
and that is what I shall do.  In some respect I don't think there is much if
anything to be gained by installing the 64 bit version but I would like to
have both desktop and laptop on identical OSes

0
Edward
12/14/2009 5:55:03 AM
"Nat´┐Żag" <cquimoi@vide.com> wrote in message
>>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>> I had no idea you could install a 64bit OS on a 32 bit system......
>
> Most computers nowadays have 64 bit processors.
> AMD, long ago.

I still have 3 machines running 32 bit moboards / cpu's.......

0
Mark

VISTA
When I go to save my excel 2007 worksheet which is running in compatibility mode because I have VISTA I get DOCUMENT NOT SAVED can anybody help? Thank you -- Paula Paula, Your Excel 2007 is not running in compatibility mode because of Vista. Compatibility mode means you have opens a old Excel file made with a version that pre-dates XL 2007 Form the Start menu open Excel. It will open with a blank XL 2007 workbook Add some data and Save Tell us what happens best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "PaulaC" <P...

How to upgrade to 2004?
I have Money 2003. Am interested in upgrading to 2004. I don't see anywhere on the Money site to upgrade (as opposed to buying outright) 2004. Is that possible? Where do I go? >Subject: How to upgrade to 2004? >From: "leenman" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com >Date: 7/30/2004 6:57 PM Eastern Standard Time >Message-id: <78eb01c47691$09497100$a301280a@phx.gbl> > >I have Money 2003. Am interested in upgrading to 2004. I >don't see anywhere on the Money site to upgrade (as >opposed to buying outright) 2004. Is that possible? Where >do I...

Test Environment for Upgrade from 9 to 10
Our live GP 9 data is in the default instance of an SQL 2005 installation. We don't have separate hardware to test the upgrade to GP 10. If I install a new named instance of SQL server on our existing hardware can I test the upgrade on this named instance without affecting our live data in the default instance? In other words, can I run an instance of GP 9 and separate instance of GP 10 on the same server hardware? Thanks, -- Mike Sinclair yes you will need to install the current revs (matching your system) of V9 and copy your live db to that named instance. Use the knowledge...

Money 2006 and IE7 (and upgrade to Money 2007)
Hello, I have Money 2006 Small Business. I reformatted my computer and installed IE7. I'm not attempting to install Money 2006 and it is not letting me stating there is a required component (IE6?) that is required to install. How can I install Money 2006 after I've installed IE7? Is there a discount to upgrade from Money 2006 to Money 2007? Thank you, In microsoft.public.money, jswpg wrote: > >I have Money 2006 Small Business. I reformatted my computer and installed >IE7. I'm not attempting to install Money 2006 and it is not letting me >stating there is ...

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area on vista
Hp lap top, had my first bsod. had not changed anything in 6 days just surfing web. It was slow, and rebooted. bsod. I am in safe mode with network now, if i load into reg vista, it bsod. Here is what I have tried so far. not in any real order Restore to last up date 5/7 Failed restore to 5/4 failed, Restore to day before I added antivirus software 4/29 failed Ran spybot, safe mode Ran cc cleaner safe mode Ran chkdsk c:/r 8 bad sectors. Finally here. This is my work cpu, and i need to get the invoicing out. I have it backed up. I can access it through here. I will say this l...

upgrading: from Outlook Express to Outlook 2002
I'm current;y trying to upgrade a home computer. I'm replacing Windows 98 with Windows 2000 and also installing Office 2000. With my current set-up I'm using Outlook Express as my mail. When all is said and done with my upgrade procedures I want to be using Outlook 2002. The problem I have is that it seems that Outlook Express does not have the same file extension as Outlook 2002 (.PST). My plan is to do a full new install of Windows 2000, which will delete everything on my computer, application wise. Then I'll have to reload programs, etc. I can't figure o...

Outlook 2003 crashes and restarts in Vista
Hi all! I'm hoping to get some help from all of you! After my laptop installed some updates it started to crash Outlook whenever I'm writing an email. I have re-installed Outlook and even uninstalled some of the updates I thought would be conflictive, however it still happens. Here's the error I'm getting: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Application Version: 11.0.8312.0 Application Timestamp: 4a403990 Fault Module Name: OUTLLIB.dll Fault Module Version: 11.0.8313.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 4a793...

Problems with money99 when upgrading from 98 to Xp
I have just upgraded from win98 to WinXP and now when I try to open MSMoney I get the following error: --- MSNMONEY.EXE - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point GetCtrlGuid could not be located in the dynamic link library mspfctl0.dll --- Any suggestions on how I can get this working again? Scott I would try uninstalling Money and reinstalling to a new directory. -- <scott.wuk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1124277959.590797.171400@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I have just upgraded from win98 to WinXP > and now when I try to open MSMoney I get the following ...

Vista not starting
Hi! My Dell Dimension/Vista Home Premium SPlatest has been running reasonably troublefree for thre years. Last week, the machine would come up to the 'Micrsosft Corporation' progress bar and progress away to glory. Sometimes a restart would work, sometimes not. The third time it happened, I found it wouldnt start even after three restarts It started on safe mode. I went back to normal mode and (I think) it did not start. Or maybe it ddid. I chanced to look at Event Viewer ( people should make it a practice to do so in the event of unexpected situations) and found a DHCP f...

how to install php on vista
I try to install php on window vista by running window installer from php.net. But in Configure IIS, I can not find add new extension (.php) in IIS manager. Also there is no php5isapi.dll in php folder. I try to run test.php on localhost, it gives error message "The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration." Need help to solve this problem. Thanks. On 09 Apr 2010, =?Utf-8?B?eW9yaw==?= <york@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general: > I try to install php on window vista by running wind...

Upgrade confusion
Hello, We are upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to 2003. We have two sites, one Exchange 5.5 in each site which are the bridgeheads, one Exchange 2003 in each site and one Exchange 2000, which will be removed as soon as mailboxes moved to 2003. All the users are off Exchange 5.5 servers, but the connectors are still on these servers. I am a little confused in whether or not I should remove both Exchange 5.5 servers at the same time, because my webmail is still connecting to the first ever installed Exchange 5.5 on one site. Can I make the Exchange 2003 the bridgehead for the other site an...

Exchange 5.5 standard to Enterprise Upgrade
H We have exchange 5.5 standard edition with NT 4 server. We are in pocess of upgrading it to Exchange 2003 but I think before upgrading it to Exchange 2003 we should upgrade it to 5.5 enterprise edition. I know its a old question but can some one please point me some old posting or can please give steps to upgrade 5.5 Std to 5.5 enterprise Thanks in advance Hello, You should be able to run reinstall from the Exchange Enterprise CD. This will upgrade the server to Enterprise. Here is the article: 170280 XADM: Upgrading From Exchange Server Standard Edition to the Enterprise http://support...

Microsoft RMS POS 2.0 & Vista Home Premium
We just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, and we plan on buying Microsoft RMS POS 2.0. Will version 2.0 of RMS POS run on Vista Home Premium? Thanks, Tom While RMS does on on Vista very well, in my opinion but you will want to make sure that all of addional POS hardware will work with Vista as well i.e. scanners, printers. etc... I know that the TPI plug-in from Mercury is not compatible with Vista and neither are the Mini MIRC check readers from Magtek. Having the ability to process checks is not as critical as it once was, as alot of retailers will no longer accept check...

Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also. Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM? Thank you. Brian Having 2gig of RAM is a lot better than having 1 GIG or even 512MB. Go for it and you will not regret it -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. ...

Cannot download the Upgrade because dial up internet
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I need to somehow get a hard copy of the Office 2008 update (purchased the program new, and irritating because there is an update that was not included). I use dial up (stop laughing . . .), and the download for the update would take nine hours. My connection will not stay on for that long, so I therefore need the update on a disk. How can I get this in a hard copy? On 4/8/08 3:43 PM, in article ee97dfc.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "patrick2000@officeformac.com" <patrick2000@officeformac.com> wrote: >...

Can Win7 play WinXP Recorded TV
I am looking at purchasing a laptop. I have a desktop with Windows XP Media Center and use it as my DVR. I record all of my TV to an external hard drive. Can I continue to record on the XP machine and then view the recorded TV on the laptop which would be Windows 7? Someone told me the format isn't exactly the same (they mentioned the codecs) and I could experience skipping when watching XP recorded TV on Win7 Media Center. Has anyone done this and what were your results? Thanks in advance for any help provided. what kind of external hard drive? USB? networked NAS? who ...

Outlook 2003
All, I just upgraded my office 2003 installation to the beta2 technical refresh and have lost the ability to connect to my pop email accounts (I've uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003). After I reinstalled the beta 1 version of Office 2003, I installed 2 of my pop accounts, to narrow down the problem, and Outlook 2003 worked just fine. However when I installed the "Office 2003 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (English version)" from the update site on the new install of Beta 1 and rebooted my computer I once again lost the ability to connect to my POP Servers. The error mess...

Favorite feature about Vista
The favorite feature about Vista on my opinion is the Aero that it has. It creates a more visual look on the window and makes the graphics look better. I sent a message to Laredo Community College and I CCed Alejandra, so I hope Alejandra gets the message that this is not email. "Alejandra Contreras" <i1405104@cisnet.laredo.edu> wrote in message news:uY2t40AsKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > The favorite feature about Vista on my opinion is the Aero that it has. > It creates a more visual look on the window and makes the graphics look > better....

Outlook 2007, Vista and Unread Mail
Unread Mail no longer displays the number of new unread mails; instead, folders with new mails are displayed in bold. But when I click on Unread Mail, I can read the mails that are new. How can I get Unread Mail to display the number of Unread Mails, and the folders containing new emails to NOT be displayed in bold? -- Thanks, John Hi John, What happens if you right click on the Unread Mail folder and click properties? Is the "Show number of Unread Items" radio button selected? -- Benjamin Gay [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confe...

Installing an "Startup on Login" App on Vista or Windows 7?
To install a .NET app on XP so that it launches when the user logs in, all you had to do was add a folder named Startup to the User's Programs Menu object the Setup project's file system, and create a shortcut in that folder that runs the app's primary output. This does not seem to work with Vista or Windows 7, apparently due to the different location on the disk for the Start menu folder tree. What's the trick to get this to work on either XP, Vista or Windows 7? ...

Task Scheduler in Vista to launch a script ?
I would like to use Task Scheduler in Vista to launch a script, IF the laptop changes from A/C power to Battery power. and I want a second task to monitor when the laptop returns from battery to A/C power. I need help, I can not determine what settings to use once I select event as my triggers. Can any one help ? ...

Email upgrade to CRM activity error
I have a customer who can upgrade some mails to crm but not all, it says error upgrading mail, try again. It's CRM 1.2 on sbs server and office 2003 sp2 Rolluppack 2 is installed but didn't fix it The mail is in the send folder, some mails works just fine and others won't upgrade, anyone got a clue ? It's rather critical that he can get the mails into CRM ! Jack It's my understanding that in SFO for 1.2, Sent Items emails are not supposed to be able to be moved up to CRM, though it does occasionally work for some unknown reason. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-m...

MSAccess2003 and Vista
I am running an access 2003 application as a Client Server, with the front end on users PCs and the _be on the server. Until now all pcs have been using WindowsXP. A new HP laptop has been purchased with Vista. I had difficulty initially running the application and relinking the _fe to the _be on the server -which is normally a straight forward operation with an XP machine but was unstable with the Vista machine. Eventually after a few tries I got the link working and the application worked fine for an hour or so but then just fell over. I have done the same thing a number of times but ...

Exchange Cluster Inplace Upgrade
I have to to upgrade an exchange 2000 cluster to exchange 2003 soon. MSDTC is installed in the default Cluster Group (where the Quroum Disk resides). Do I have to move the MSDTC resource to another dedicated cluster group before upgrading to exchange 2003 and windows 2003 ? If yes, what is the right procedure to do this ? Thanks MC ...

If I get 'access denied' one more time with Vista I am going to go to Linux : I hate Vista, I despise Vista. I absolutely hate Vista!
From a 17 year user of windows. I no longer trust Microsoft and will not buy Windows 7, maybe never. "U S Army Veteran" <someone@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7Wdnfh2e4m3HYPWnZ2dnUVZ_tWdnZ2d@giganews.com... > From a 17 year user of windows. I no longer trust Microsoft and will not > buy Windows 7, maybe never. Sounds like you are too stupid to use Windows. You are a perfect candidate for that crappy Ubuntu. Get with Alias, he will be happy to get another user. Don't let the screen door hit your ass on the way out On Tue, 08 Dec 2...