Vista - What folder does Windows Update download updates to

Vista - What folder does Windows Update download updates to

I had to reinstall Vista a couple of time and was surprised at amount
of updates
I had to install. So was wondering if I can save all of the updates in
a folder on  a exturnal hard drive for safe keeping

THANK YOU
Carpy

--
carpy

carpy

carpy wrote:
> Vista - What folder does Windows Update download updates to
>
> I had to reinstall Vista a couple of time and was surprised at
> amount of updates
> I had to install. So was wondering if I can save all of the updates
> in a folder on  a exturnal hard drive for safe keeping
>
> THANK YOU
> Carpy

Not in that manner, reliably or easily.

Download SP1 and SP2 for Windows Vista and store them externally.  You can
also collect all the updates in their executable/installable format by
downloading them individually and saving them as well.

Maybe this would help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

Or this...

You can see the critical (security and other) patches released for a given
month using the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms##-***.mspx

At the end of this line you see "ms##-***.mspx" .. If you simply replace ##
with the two-digit year and the *** with the three character month
abbreviation, you will see the list of "critical" and "important" patches
for that month (since it only happens once a month usually, if you check by
the second Tuesday (wait until afternoon) of each month - you should be
fine) - note that future months will not work - although they may have an
"Advance Notification for" in place when the actual time approaches.

Example:

November 2009
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms09-nov.mspx

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
7/17/2010 4:00:48 AM
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 03:34:51 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, carpy <carpy.4e840e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

>Vista - What folder does Windows Update download updates to
>
>I had to reinstall Vista a couple of time and was surprised at amount
>of updates
>I had to install. So was wondering if I can save all of the updates in
>a folder on  a exturnal hard drive for safe keeping
>
>THANK YOU
>Carpy

Its own.
0
ichase
7/17/2010 11:00:33 AM
Besides backing up files, I use an external hard drive that allows me to back
up the OS. This way all updates are also backed up. Great for reinstalls.
--
Fortune favors the bold.

Permission in a folder of file server
I used code "ds.WriteXml" to export dataset to xml to a file server (Not web server. This folder do not have web share) server name: allorder folder and path: d:\order2009\ file name: neworder.xml How to tell newwork guy to setup permission for this folder (order2009)? I got answers as below. Which one is right? So far, I assign everone for full control but boss do not want to use EVERYONE. 1) <MACHINE NAME>\ASPNET 2) NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE -- Message posted via DotNetMonster.com http://www.dotnetmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/asp-net/200911/1 ...

What tables are updated in PA when contract's status changes
Hello, Could someone let me know what tables are updated in Project Accounting when I change a contract’s status from “Open” to “Completed”. Is there a way also to to do a SQL trace for this purpose. -- Thank you, ...

VISTA
When I go to save my excel 2007 worksheet which is running in compatibility mode because I have VISTA I get DOCUMENT NOT SAVED can anybody help? Thank you -- Paula Paula, Your Excel 2007 is not running in compatibility mode because of Vista. Compatibility mode means you have opens a old Excel file made with a version that pre-dates XL 2007 Form the Start menu open Excel. It will open with a blank XL 2007 workbook Add some data and Save Tell us what happens best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "PaulaC" <P...

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area on vista
Hp lap top, had my first bsod. had not changed anything in 6 days just surfing web. It was slow, and rebooted. bsod. I am in safe mode with network now, if i load into reg vista, it bsod. Here is what I have tried so far. not in any real order Restore to last up date 5/7 Failed restore to 5/4 failed, Restore to day before I added antivirus software 4/29 failed Ran spybot, safe mode Ran cc cleaner safe mode Ran chkdsk c:/r 8 bad sectors. Finally here. This is my work cpu, and i need to get the invoicing out. I have it backed up. I can access it through here. I will say this l...

outlook net folders
how do i get rid of OUTLOOK.EXE HAS GENERATED ERRORS.....blah blah blah I have done everything in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;297010 i want to know how to stop this from ever happening!!!! thanks in advance Hello, The "blah blah blah" part is critical. Also what OS are you on, and Ver of Outlook? Is the computer always doing this after 10 minutes in Outlook, or 30 seconds, or trying to Send/Recieve? Mor Microsoft Messaging Support 3+ years, Front Line TSA1 "neal smith" <nealxpert@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:12a8e01c3f635$aefe...

Outlook 2003 crashes and restarts in Vista
Hi all! I'm hoping to get some help from all of you! After my laptop installed some updates it started to crash Outlook whenever I'm writing an email. I have re-installed Outlook and even uninstalled some of the updates I thought would be conflictive, however it still happens. Here's the error I'm getting: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Application Version: 11.0.8312.0 Application Timestamp: 4a403990 Fault Module Name: OUTLLIB.dll Fault Module Version: 11.0.8313.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 4a793...

Sent Items Folder in IMAP
OL2002 is not able to keep outgoing message in Sent Items folder automatically with IMAP email account. I, therefore, drag and drop the message to IMAP account. The problem is I cannot get attachment with OE or webmail. I have to take it with OL. It happens to whatever format -- plain text, rich text and HTML. Do you have any clue to solve it? Then I can get attachment with OE or webmail. Thanks, Charles Leung ...

Folder share lost after server reboot
Hi there, We have a server that gets rebooted, for contingency purposes, every 2 weeks but a particular folder always loses the share setup on it. We are running Win2000 sp4. Is it a setting in the registry that needs changing? Many thanks for your help. Gloria ...

How to update "Custom Priority" or "Custom Status" Task fields?
I'm trying to enhance how I organize my Outlook tasks, and I see two custom fields are available; "Custom Priority" and "Custom Status" but I cannot update either field nor is there any content in Help about either of these fields. Has anyone used these fields? If so, please share. Those are not standard fields for Outlook tasks. That's why you'll find nothing in Help about them. Some other source -- an add-in or the user -- added them. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users ...

Access 2003 and Windows 7
I upgraded windows xp to windows 7. My Access 2003 .MDB files are not working corectly in windows 7. When I try to open a form, I get a query parameter box and then any event that trys to run I get something like this: "The expression <Event name> you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Object or class does not support the set of events." When working in xp mode of Windows 7 it works fine. Any suggestions? On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:16:01 -0800, I dont know <I dont know@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Open a code win...

Vista not starting
Hi! My Dell Dimension/Vista Home Premium SPlatest has been running reasonably troublefree for thre years. Last week, the machine would come up to the 'Micrsosft Corporation' progress bar and progress away to glory. Sometimes a restart would work, sometimes not. The third time it happened, I found it wouldnt start even after three restarts It started on safe mode. I went back to normal mode and (I think) it did not start. Or maybe it ddid. I chanced to look at Event Viewer ( people should make it a practice to do so in the event of unexpected situations) and found a DHCP f...

File-Permissions in DATA-Folder (Attach / Detach)
Hi, after having some issues with File-Permissions during attach attempts, I played around a bit and found something weird which I'd like someone to confirm: Scenario: - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit - SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition (Version 10.0.2531.0) - Database for testing: "Test" - SSMS running under my local user account being sysadmin State #1 - SQL-Server stopped - Database "Test" attached - To see File-Permissions I need to Elevate User-rigths in Explorer - File-Permissions on Test.mdf & Test.ldf: - Owner Rights: Full Control - SQL...

download message twice
can anybody tell me why I get the same message twice at the same time? Turn off AV scanning in Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Ric asked: | can anybody tell me why I get the same message twice at the same time? ...

how to install php on vista
I try to install php on window vista by running window installer from php.net. But in Configure IIS, I can not find add new extension (.php) in IIS manager. Also there is no php5isapi.dll in php folder. I try to run test.php on localhost, it gives error message "The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration." Need help to solve this problem. Thanks. On 09 Apr 2010, =?Utf-8?B?eW9yaw==?= <york@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general: > I try to install php on window vista by running wind...

Windows XP Start.wav / Start Navigation sound isn't working
Hello, and thank you for reading my post. For some time now, I noticed that my PC's "click sound", which normally appears while surfing in IE 6, wasn't working. I'd learned that I'd need to visit the Start Navigation sound in Control Panel-->Sounds and Audio Devices, and select Windows XP Start.wav...which I'd do, but it wouldn't stay in place as soon as I clicked on "Apply". Because of this issue, and others, too, I reinstalled a "clean" version of Windows XP SP2, and then upgraded it (&, by extension, IE 6) to SP3,...

Updating data in a dropdown box
I have a form with dropdown boxes. If the data is not in the list I have a button to go to the client table to add the new client and then return to the original form. When I click the dropdown box the client that was added is not in the list. If I advance to a new record and then back the name then shows up. How can I have the current list display? Thanks for any help you can give me. ...

Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug where the payees in my downloaded transactions are automatically added to my payee list (this despite the fact that I've checked off the option "Confirm new payees"). This alone would be worth the upgrade. On the subject of 2006, does anyone know if Microsoft added the cookie jar concept to accounts? The cookie jar allows you to squirrel money away within an account. TIA greg.block@gmail.com wrote: >Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug >where the payees in my downlo...

Problem with public folders
We are running Exchange 2003. We cannot copy to or create puclic folders. Everyone group given full control permissions to public folders. Error states the the permissions are not valid. Any help or direction appreciated. Thanks Hi Sam, I would like to point you to couple of Kbarticle . http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313866&Product=exch2 003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330752&Product=exch2 003 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Regards, Amit Mantri ...

Microsoft RMS POS 2.0 & Vista Home Premium
We just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, and we plan on buying Microsoft RMS POS 2.0. Will version 2.0 of RMS POS run on Vista Home Premium? Thanks, Tom While RMS does on on Vista very well, in my opinion but you will want to make sure that all of addional POS hardware will work with Vista as well i.e. scanners, printers. etc... I know that the TPI plug-in from Mercury is not compatible with Vista and neither are the Mini MIRC check readers from Magtek. Having the ability to process checks is not as critical as it once was, as alot of retailers will no longer accept check...

Windows Mobile 5.0 GAL Lookup
How can I configure a windows mobile 5.0 device to use the GAL as well as their contacts when searching? thanks. GAL lookup isn't available unless you have AKU 2.0/MSFP and Exchange 2003 SP2. Otherwise, I believe that mobile Outlook allows you to set up an LDAP address book, but LDAP isn't usually published to the Internet on DC's (nor would I usually recommend it). -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Gabe Matteson" <gmattesonATinquery.biz> wrote in message new...

Unable to send emails via Windows Live Mail
Hi, i have been using windows live mail for a while now and have never been able to send anything from one of my email accounts, I have logged onto this particulay email account as webmail and am able to send that way, but it is very inconvenient. thi error message i keep getting is: The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'testing' Server: 'smtp.iprimus.com.au' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No Socket Error: 10060 i have read through several other posts and tried changing the port numbers as suggested...

Cannot Restore Folder in Outlook Express Windows 98
Somehow I deleted a folder in Outlook Express. I had it backed up and tried to copy it from my backup CD to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities (where all my other Outlook Express folders are located) using Windows Explorer. I also removed the read only designation. The folder and mail files appear in Windows Explorer now, but I cannot find them in Outlook Express. Can any one help me? Mary M wrote: > Somehow I deleted a folder in Outlook Express. I had it backed up > and tried to copy it from my backup CD to C:\WINDOWS\Application > Data\Identities (where all my other...

OWA
Hi all! Is there any chance to enable Reply, Reply To All, and Forward buttons in Public Folders in OWA? Thanx for any hint! -- R.V. You can do this in Exchange 2003 as long as you have a front-end server. IIRC, this is a new feature in Exchange 2003 and not available in previous versions. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Radovan Vojtek" <RadovanVojtek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B81446C-73C1-428B-80CC-119B4667C2C4@microsoft.com... > Hi all! > > Is there any chance to en...

Exchange 2003
I have OL 2003 SP1 installed on my machine. Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1 I'm having problem viewing the public folder client permissions. It only shows the owner information instead, and even so, the permissions for owner are not the same as setup in 2003 using ESM. It showed either "reviewer" or "author" instead of owner! Some other clients in the organixation using the previous OL 2003 version (11.5608.5606). This OL 2003 client doesn't ahve problem with public folder client permissions. They can access those folders according to the permissi...

Updating Excel File with MS CRM
Hello, I am trying to put MS CRM 1.2 datas (record type "quote") into a Excel file template. I use Excel 2003 (Office 11) and it seems that the "Office XP Primary Interop Assemblies" that i downloaded is for "Office 10" only. Do someone know how to insert datas on specified Excel worksheet ? Where could i find appropriate libraries ? Thank you ManU. ...