Vista Ultimate, Invalid Disk Pack

Hi!

A weird problem. I used to have 3 USB disks (dynamic GPT) running fine under
Vista Ultimate. Then I made a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium install. Noticing
that it didn't recognise my disks (and other problems as well), I decided to

But now the original Vista Ultimate installation didn't recognise them
either! They have status Invalid in Disk Management Console. DISKPART sees
the disks, and also the partitions, but it doesn't appear to find any
volumes. Any command I try to do returns the error message that it is not
allowed on invalid disk packs.

Please, dear Internet God, find me a solution. I don't want to lose almost
4TB of data gathered over years.

Brgds

Danny

Danny wrote:
> Hi!
>
> A weird problem. I used to have 3 USB disks (dynamic GPT) running fine under
> Vista Ultimate. Then I made a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium install. Noticing
> that it didn't recognise my disks (and other problems as well), I decided to
>
> But now the original Vista Ultimate installation didn't recognise them
> either! They have status Invalid in Disk Management Console. DISKPART sees
> the disks, and also the partitions, but it doesn't appear to find any
> volumes. Any command I try to do returns the error message that it is not
> allowed on invalid disk packs.
>
> Please, dear Internet God, find me a solution. I don't want to lose almost
> 4TB of data gathered over years.
>
> Brgds
>
> Danny

you can start here

but sheesh you should *never* have used the dynamic disc option

a sure formula for disaster
0
philo
12/18/2009 9:00:47 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I could not find anything useful in
there. None of the lists of status messages in it, or in any of the links it
provided, even listed the "Invalid" status that I have.

So, please, if anyone has any other helpful suggestions it would be much
appreciated. I don't want to format the disks unless absolutely necessary. (I
can recreate the data on them, but it would take weeks of work)

I read somewhere that the Home versions don't support dynamic disks. I feel
totally misled there, because it said nothing about that when I bought
Windows 7 Home Premium, nor did the Upgrade Advisor say anything about it. I
have complained to the store, but of course they remain silent. Interesting
thing is, when I tested the Ultimate RC, I had the same problem. But that
time when I switched back to Vista, the disks did not disappear there as
well, that only happened with the RTM. And besides it doesn't make sense to
not support dynamic for home users. I'm sure lots of Media Center users need
to have large volumes with their media files. Yet are not interested in all
the business functionality.

Philo, if you have a better option than dynamic disks for creating volumes
covering several disks I would love to hear it. My folder containing my DVD's
cannot fit on one disk alone.

Brgds

Danny
Danny wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I could not find anything useful in
> there. None of the lists of status messages in it, or in any of the links it
> provided, even listed the "Invalid" status that I have.
>
> So, please, if anyone has any other helpful suggestions it would be much
> appreciated. I don't want to format the disks unless absolutely necessary. (I
> can recreate the data on them, but it would take weeks of work)
>
> I read somewhere that the Home versions don't support dynamic disks. I feel
> totally misled there, because it said nothing about that when I bought
> Windows 7 Home Premium, nor did the Upgrade Advisor say anything about it. I
> have complained to the store, but of course they remain silent. Interesting
> thing is, when I tested the Ultimate RC, I had the same problem. But that
> time when I switched back to Vista, the disks did not disappear there as
> well, that only happened with the RTM. And besides it doesn't make sense to
> not support dynamic for home users. I'm sure lots of Media Center users need
> to have large volumes with their media files. Yet are not interested in all
> the business functionality.
>
> Philo, if you have a better option than dynamic disks for creating volumes
> covering several disks I would love to hear it. My folder containing my DVD's
> cannot fit on one disk alone.
>
> Brgds
>
> Danny

did you try this method?

http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2007/06/06/managing-dynamic-disks-in-vista-part-v

anyway, if you get it sorted out
using a hardware RAID method is a better option than any type of
software RAID or dynamic disk

but I advise against disk spanning of any type
since in the event of a problem , data recovery is difficult at best
0
philo
12/20/2009 2:13:32 PM
Hi!

Importing it as a foreign disk was my first thought. But unfortunately it
doesn't see it as a foreign disk, so that option is greyed out. If I could
find a way of fooling it into thinking it was a foreign disk, that could
help. Is it a registry setting?

I don't have a second computer I can test it on. But I do suspect that if I
could only import it, it would be alright.

I did consider RAID when I made this setup, but I read lots of people who
had problems, and got lost with all the types of RAID. And it was more
expensive.

Brgds

Danny
Danny wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Importing it as a foreign disk was my first thought. But unfortunately it
> doesn't see it as a foreign disk, so that option is greyed out. If I could
> find a way of fooling it into thinking it was a foreign disk, that could
> help. Is it a registry setting?
>
> I don't have a second computer I can test it on. But I do suspect that if I
> could only import it, it would be alright.
>
> I did consider RAID when I made this setup, but I read lots of people who
> had problems, and got lost with all the types of RAID. And it was more
> expensive.
>
> Brgds
>
> Danny

Hopefully some expert can help here...
but unless you get specific advice from someone who really knows what
they are doing...I would not fool with anything at this point.

Hopefully you will get it sorted out

and I really advise you to not use either RAID or Dynamic disk
0
philo
12/20/2009 10:57:51 PM
Hi!

I have managed to solve it now. The free software TestDisk,
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download, rebuilds the partition
tables from scratch. It only took a few seconds, and all the data is there,
intact.

Apparently the Windows 7 installation corrupted the partition tables for
some reason.

Brgds

Danny
For Dynamic Disk Invalid, typecally your operating system may not support for dynamic disk. such as WinXP Home Edition, Win7 Home Edition will show a dynamic invalid disk in disk management. A called Dynamic Disk Converter 3.0 (http://www.dynamic-disk.com/) can revert an dynamic unreadable disk and invalid dynamic disk back to basic disk without lost data.  I tested the program on VMware, work fine.

Danny wrote:

Vista Ultimate, Invalid Disk Pack
18-Dec-09

Hi!

A weird problem. I used to have 3 USB disks (dynamic GPT) running fine under
Vista Ultimate. Then I made a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium install. Noticing
that it did not recognise my disks (and other problems as well), I decided to

But now the original Vista Ultimate installation did not recognise them
either! They have status Invalid in Disk Management Console. DISKPART sees
the disks, and also the partitions, but it does not appear to find any
volumes. Any command I try to do returns the error message that it is not
allowed on invalid disk packs.

Please, dear Internet God, find me a solution. I do not want to lose almost
4TB of data gathered over years.

Brgds

Danny

On Friday, December 18, 2009 2:33 PM
Danny wrote:

Vista Ultimate, Invalid Disk Pack
Hi!

A weird problem. I used to have 3 USB disks (dynamic GPT) running fine under
Vista Ultimate. Then I made a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium install. Noticing
that it did not recognise my disks (and other problems as well), I decided to

But now the original Vista Ultimate installation did not recognise them
either! They have status Invalid in Disk Management Console. DISKPART sees
the disks, and also the partitions, but it does not appear to find any
volumes. Any command I try to do returns the error message that it is not
allowed on invalid disk packs.

Please, dear Internet God, find me a solution. I do not want to lose almost
4TB of data gathered over years.

Brgds

Danny

On Friday, December 18, 2009 4:00 PM
philo wrote:

Danny wrote:you can start herehttp://technet.microsoft.
Danny wrote:

you can start here

but sheesh you should *never* have used the dynamic disc option

a sure formula for disaster

On Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:48 AM
Danny wrote:

Hi!
Hi!

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I could not find anything useful in
there. None of the lists of status messages in it, or in any of the links it
provided, even listed the "Invalid" status that I have.

So, please, if anyone has any other helpful suggestions it would be much
appreciated. I do not want to format the disks unless absolutely necessary. (I
can recreate the data on them, but it would take weeks of work)

I read somewhere that the Home versions do not support dynamic disks. I feel
totally misled there, because it said nothing about that when I bought
Windows 7 Home Premium, nor did the Upgrade Advisor say anything about it. I
have complained to the store, but of course they remain silent. Interesting
thing is, when I tested the Ultimate RC, I had the same problem. But that
time when I switched back to Vista, the disks did not disappear there as
well, that only happened with the RTM. And besides it does not make sense to
not support dynamic for home users. I am sure lots of Media Center users need
to have large volumes with their media files. Yet are not interested in all
the business functionality.

Philo, if you have a better option than dynamic disks for creating volumes
covering several disks I would love to hear it. My folder containing my DVD's
cannot fit on one disk alone.

Brgds

Danny

On Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:13 AM
philo wrote:

Danny wrote:did you try this method?
Danny wrote:

did you try this method?

http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2007/06/06/managing-dynamic-disks-in-vista-part-v

anyway, if you get it sorted out
using a hardware RAID method is a better option than any type of
software RAID or dynamic disk

but I advise against disk spanning of any type
since in the event of a problem , data recovery is difficult at best

On Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:00 AM
Danny wrote:

Hi!
Hi!

Importing it as a foreign disk was my first thought. But unfortunately it
does not see it as a foreign disk, so that option is greyed out. If I could
find a way of fooling it into thinking it was a foreign disk, that could
help. Is it a registry setting?

I do not have a second computer I can test it on. But I do suspect that if I
could only import it, it would be alright.

I did consider RAID when I made this setup, but I read lots of people who
had problems, and got lost with all the types of RAID. And it was more
expensive.

Brgds

Danny

On Sunday, December 20, 2009 5:57 PM
philo wrote:

Danny wrote:Hopefully some expert can help here...
Danny wrote:

Hopefully some expert can help here...
but unless you get specific advice from someone who really knows what
they are doing...I would not fool with anything at this point.

Hopefully you will get it sorted out

and I really advise you to not use either RAID or Dynamic disk

On Monday, December 21, 2009 4:41 AM
Danny wrote:

Hi!
Hi!

I have managed to solve it now. The free software TestDisk,
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download, rebuilds the partition
tables from scratch. It only took a few seconds, and all the data is there,
intact.

Apparently the Windows 7 installation corrupted the partition tables for
some reason.

Brgds

Danny

EggHeadCafe Chat Chaos in Silverlight Released Today
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/325ea67e-d6c4-4811-b096-54f31bdede5d/eggheadcafe-chat-chaos-in.aspx
0
Simi
2/27/2010 10:56:13 AM

Danny wrote:

Hi!
Hi!

I have managed to solve it now. The free software TestDisk,
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download, rebuilds the partition
tables from scratch. It only took a few seconds, and all the data is there,
intact.

Apparently the Windows 7 installation corrupted the partition tables for
some reason.

Brgds

Danny

On Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:55 AM
Simi Bocb wrote:

Dynamic Disk Invalid
For Dynamic Disk Invalid, typecally your operating system may not support for dynamic disk. such as WinXP Home Edition, Win7 Home Edition will show a dynamic invalid disk in disk management. A called Dynamic Disk Converter 3.0 (http://www.dynamic-disk.com/) can revert an dynamic unreadable disk and invalid dynamic disk back to basic disk without lost data.  I tested the program on VMware, work fine.

On Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:57 AM
Simi Bocb wrote:

Dynamic Disk Invalid
For Dynamic Disk Invalid, typecally your operating system may not support
for dynamic disk. such as WinXP Home Edition, Win7 Home Edition will show a
dynamic invalid disk in disk management. A called Dynamic Disk Converter 3.0
(http://www.dynamic-disk.com/) can revert an dynamic unreadable disk and invalid
dynamic disk back to basic disk without lost data.  I tested the program
on VMware, work fine.

DataContractSerializer Basics
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/ad947ce6-cd3e-4647-b69c-94d2f3b1b265/datacontractserializer-ba.aspx
0
Simi

Abort file opening for invalid file
I need to open an ASCII file using Serialize() method. I want to add a validity check (say, length of the file) so that the file opening process will automatically abort (but not exiting the program) if an "invalid" file is encountered. What should I do in order to implement that? Thank you. >I need to open an ASCII file using Serialize() method. I want to add a >validity check (say, length of the file) so that the file opening >process will automatically abort (but not exiting the program) if an >"invalid" file is encountered. What should I do in order to impl...

VISTA
When I go to save my excel 2007 worksheet which is running in compatibility mode because I have VISTA I get DOCUMENT NOT SAVED can anybody help? Thank you -- Paula Paula, Your Excel 2007 is not running in compatibility mode because of Vista. Compatibility mode means you have opens a old Excel file made with a version that pre-dates XL 2007 Form the Start menu open Excel. It will open with a blank XL 2007 workbook Add some data and Save Tell us what happens best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "PaulaC" <P...

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area on vista
Hp lap top, had my first bsod. had not changed anything in 6 days just surfing web. It was slow, and rebooted. bsod. I am in safe mode with network now, if i load into reg vista, it bsod. Here is what I have tried so far. not in any real order Restore to last up date 5/7 Failed restore to 5/4 failed, Restore to day before I added antivirus software 4/29 failed Ran spybot, safe mode Ran cc cleaner safe mode Ran chkdsk c:/r 8 bad sectors. Finally here. This is my work cpu, and i need to get the invoicing out. I have it backed up. I can access it through here. I will say this l...

Outlook 2003 crashes and restarts in Vista
Hi all! I'm hoping to get some help from all of you! After my laptop installed some updates it started to crash Outlook whenever I'm writing an email. I have re-installed Outlook and even uninstalled some of the updates I thought would be conflictive, however it still happens. Here's the error I'm getting: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Application Version: 11.0.8312.0 Application Timestamp: 4a403990 Fault Module Name: OUTLLIB.dll Fault Module Version: 11.0.8313.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 4a793...

Vista not starting
Hi! My Dell Dimension/Vista Home Premium SPlatest has been running reasonably troublefree for thre years. Last week, the machine would come up to the 'Micrsosft Corporation' progress bar and progress away to glory. Sometimes a restart would work, sometimes not. The third time it happened, I found it wouldnt start even after three restarts It started on safe mode. I went back to normal mode and (I think) it did not start. Or maybe it ddid. I chanced to look at Event Viewer ( people should make it a practice to do so in the event of unexpected situations) and found a DHCP f...

linked dbf tables have "invalid names" after conversion from Access 97 to Access 2000
We're using dbf files to bring data from another application to Access for detailed analysis and reporting. We have recently upgraded from Access 97 to Access 2000. Everything seems to have converted fine except linked dbf tables. The previous linked tables worked fine in Access 97 for several years. When you try and open the table Access 2000 reports that : " is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that it is not to long. Even if we try and relink to the dbf files we get the same error. We have found that if we move the files t...

how to install php on vista
I try to install php on window vista by running window installer from php.net. But in Configure IIS, I can not find add new extension (.php) in IIS manager. Also there is no php5isapi.dll in php folder. I try to run test.php on localhost, it gives error message "The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration." Need help to solve this problem. Thanks. On 09 Apr 2010, =?Utf-8?B?eW9yaw==?= <york@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general: > I try to install php on window vista by running wind...

Microsoft RMS POS 2.0 & Vista Home Premium
We just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, and we plan on buying Microsoft RMS POS 2.0. Will version 2.0 of RMS POS run on Vista Home Premium? Thanks, Tom While RMS does on on Vista very well, in my opinion but you will want to make sure that all of addional POS hardware will work with Vista as well i.e. scanners, printers. etc... I know that the TPI plug-in from Mercury is not compatible with Vista and neither are the Mini MIRC check readers from Magtek. Having the ability to process checks is not as critical as it once was, as alot of retailers will no longer accept check...

Service pack 3 Release date
when service pack 3 will be release for project server 2007 , WSS 3.0 , MOSS 2007 ? Sam: I haven't heard anything about this yet, but now that we're past RTM, I'm sure it's on the near-term agenda. -- Gary L. Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCTIP Business: http://www.msprojectexperts.com FAQs: http://www.projectserverexperts.com BLOG: http://www.projectserverhelp.com "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54675F30-43A9-413D-B3B0-50F8463BA2A5@microsoft.com... > when service pack 3 will be release for project server 2007 , WSS 3...

Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also. Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM? Thank you. Brian Having 2gig of RAM is a lot better than having 1 GIG or even 512MB. Go for it and you will not regret it -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. ...

Favorite feature about Vista
The favorite feature about Vista on my opinion is the Aero that it has. It creates a more visual look on the window and makes the graphics look better. I sent a message to Laredo Community College and I CCed Alejandra, so I hope Alejandra gets the message that this is not email. "Alejandra Contreras" <i1405104@cisnet.laredo.edu> wrote in message news:uY2t40AsKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > The favorite feature about Vista on my opinion is the Aero that it has. > It creates a more visual look on the window and makes the graphics look > better....

Outlook 2007, Vista and Unread Mail
Unread Mail no longer displays the number of new unread mails; instead, folders with new mails are displayed in bold. But when I click on Unread Mail, I can read the mails that are new. How can I get Unread Mail to display the number of Unread Mails, and the folders containing new emails to NOT be displayed in bold? -- Thanks, John Hi John, What happens if you right click on the Unread Mail folder and click properties? Is the "Show number of Unread Items" radio button selected? -- Benjamin Gay [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confe...

Installing an "Startup on Login" App on Vista or Windows 7?
To install a .NET app on XP so that it launches when the user logs in, all you had to do was add a folder named Startup to the User's Programs Menu object the Setup project's file system, and create a shortcut in that folder that runs the app's primary output. This does not seem to work with Vista or Windows 7, apparently due to the different location on the disk for the Start menu folder tree. What's the trick to get this to work on either XP, Vista or Windows 7? ...

Task Scheduler in Vista to launch a script ?
I would like to use Task Scheduler in Vista to launch a script, IF the laptop changes from A/C power to Battery power. and I want a second task to monitor when the laptop returns from battery to A/C power. I need help, I can not determine what settings to use once I select event as my triggers. Can any one help ? ...

MSAccess2003 and Vista
I am running an access 2003 application as a Client Server, with the front end on users PCs and the _be on the server. Until now all pcs have been using WindowsXP. A new HP laptop has been purchased with Vista. I had difficulty initially running the application and relinking the _fe to the _be on the server -which is normally a straight forward operation with an XP machine but was unstable with the Vista machine. Eventually after a few tries I got the link working and the application worked fine for an hour or so but then just fell over. I have done the same thing a number of times but ...

What makes a disk removabe?
How BIOS or Windows knows that a disk drive is "removable"? Is this returned by the drive itself, or determined by the BIOS, or ACPI? I have a weird single board PC that needs an 1.8" drive of a rare type. So I use a regular Sandisk CF card, with a CF to IDE adapter. The BIOS sees it as a "removable IDE drive". When I install WinXP or 2003 on this, the setup happily formats the card and copies all the files - though it warned that can't create partitions on a removable disk, so I let it to format the whole card. But when it reboots, a strange error oc...

If I get 'access denied' one more time with Vista I am going to go to Linux : I hate Vista, I despise Vista. I absolutely hate Vista!
From a 17 year user of windows. I no longer trust Microsoft and will not buy Windows 7, maybe never. "U S Army Veteran" <someone@gmail.com> wrote in message news:O7Wdnfh2e4m3HYPWnZ2dnUVZ_tWdnZ2d@giganews.com... > From a 17 year user of windows. I no longer trust Microsoft and will not > buy Windows 7, maybe never. Sounds like you are too stupid to use Windows. You are a perfect candidate for that crappy Ubuntu. Get with Alias, he will be happy to get another user. Don't let the screen door hit your ass on the way out On Tue, 08 Dec 2...

Publisher using Vista Home Basic
I am using vista home basic and have installed Office Home & Student plus Publisher 2007. Initially in Publisher I was able to access all options of template but after changing the business logo I can only access flyers and blank pages. I have uninstalled both programs and reinstalled but still have the same problem. Would appreciate feedback. What happens if you delete the logo out of the Business Information, can you access the other templates? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Deidre" <Deidre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF1B7F85-3...

CAsyncSocket on vista
We have a Windows service which is a part of our product which uses CAsyncSocket to communicate with another EXE running on the same machine. I have used VC++6.0 to compile the code for the both the service as well as the EXE. The interprocess communication works fine on Win XP, Win2000, and other versions of Windows for the last 5 years. I compiled the programs on Windows Vista using VC++ 6.0. The 'win32 debug' configuration build seems to work fine. However in the 'Win 32 release' configuration build, the socket communcation fails. I ran the service using a debugger, ...

filter driver & embedded signature in vista-64
Is it possible to embed a signature in my x64 class filter driver? If so, does this eliminate the need to distribute an associated catalog file? Thanks dmm If the driver is installed using an INF file, then a signed security catalog file is required. Legacy (non-PnP) drivers that do not use an INF file are signed by signing the driver binary. IIRC boot-loaded drivers must have the driver binary signed - possibly in addition to having a signed security catalog file. Good luck, Thomas F. Divine "dmm" <dmm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

GL posting date is invalid.
Good morning: 'When attempting a payables check run we keep erring out. When we print out the edit list all the checks in the list come up with the following error: "GL posting date is invalid. This transaction contains errors. It won't be posted. " When we look at the trx dates and details , posting date (server and client), everthing checks out. Anyone have this problem. -- Jim Bourque Hi Jim, Yes, I have a client using Version 8.0 that this message appears on the edit list, but when they post it posts through ok, yet the posting journal has the message. How...

Vista Upgrade
Hello... when I attempted to upgrade from Windows XP to Vista I experience the following problems. But the hardware compatibility I have met. Now the problems: - Ran the DVD and attempted a basic upgrade _corrupted file at 80% of install from DVD~are versions used was 32-bit -" " basic upgrade_fail -" "full installation_fail - finished the installation and rebooted but did not upgrade returned back to windows XP -" "finally ...

Dynamics 9 SQL2005 Vista Dexterity Runtime stopped Working
I can't seem to get the dynutils to even initiat without a "Dexterity Runtime has stopped Running". it will open the login window, but then craps out almost immediately. The only help is a dump file that I can't read without my special Bill Gates glasses. Anybody else getting this proble? Hi Greg There is a known issue, due to be fixed in v9.0 Sp3. Un-install your v10.0 client (leave the data alone) temporarily while you run v9.0 utilities. Then re-install the v10.0 client. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer - Great Plains Mic...

Vista
Is RMS 2.0 compatible with Vista? hi, Yes I installed it and its work excellently without any issue. "Sachafav" wrote: > Is RMS 2.0 compatible with Vista? ...

Anybody installed Visual Studio 6.0 on Vista?
I still use Visual Studio 6.0 (Enterprise Edition), specifically VC++ part of it. I tried to install it on Vista, but then I decided to cancel the installation when Studio wanted o change Java settings. I do not want it to corrupt Vista. Does anybody know of any installation problems? I am aware that Vista provides a message before Studio installation is run warning that Studio has some compatibility issues with Vista but I assume all older programs have some compatibility issues with Vista. On 15 Feb 2007 14:06:57 -0800, maruk2@hotmail.com wrote: >I still use Visual Studio 6.0 (Enterp...