Vista is converting all my Winmail and Winlivemail to attachments

Bruce, thanks for your help. I accomplished the following:

1) I cleared the TEMP and TEMPORARY INTERNET folders.

2) I set the encoding to Western (ISO) in Internet Explorer.

3) I made sure that "Read All Messages In Plain Text" is NOT checked.

I still have the problem. It must be related to Winmail or Vista on my PC
since not only do the Inbox emails I receive show as attachments but, every
saved email (Some years old) in ALL my folders also show as attachments when
I try to open them. I cannot find any option in Winmail that might cause
this other than the one I made sure was unchecked.

I also did the following:

1) I just setup an old PC running Windows XP and Outlook Express on my
network. I used it to pull my email and it all looked good. Came in clean
and not as attachments.

2) I installed Windows Live Mail on my Vista machine, pulled my mail and
guess what, they are all attachments.

This must be a Vista problem with Winmail and WinLiveMail and maybe other
email programs? Any ideas where to go next?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312351

http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/decode.htm

> Besides the problem described in this article with temporary files,
> Outlook Express may have a blank message if Internet Explorer is set at
> View, Encoding to Auto-Select. If so, disable the Auto-Select in Internet
> Explorer and choose instead Western European (ISO). If your program has an
> option to read HTML messages in Plain Text, the HTML version of the
> message may appear as an ATT0001.HTM attachment (the number may vary).
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Dragontooth" <Dragontooth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Read all messages in plain text was not checked.
> >
> > "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
> >
> >> Please do not start a new thread for an existing issue. Thank you.
> >>
> >> Tools | Options | Read. Uncheck: Read all messages in plain text.
> >> --
> >> Bruce Hagen
> >> MS-MVP [Mail]
> >> Imperial Beach, CA
> >>

> >> "Dragontooth" <Dragontooth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi, Dragontooth.

Didn't you read this line from Bruce's post?

Since you missed that, maybe you missed other important parts of Bruce's
advice.  :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Bruce, thanks for your help. I accomplished the following:
>
> 1) I cleared the TEMP and TEMPORARY INTERNET folders.
>
> 2) I set the encoding to Western (ISO) in Internet Explorer.
>
> 3) I made sure that "Read All Messages In Plain Text" is NOT checked.
>
> I still have the problem. It must be related to Winmail or Vista on my PC
> since not only do the Inbox emails I receive show as attachments but,
> every
> saved email (Some years old) in ALL my folders also show as attachments
> when
> I try to open them. I cannot find any option in Winmail that might cause
> this other than the one I made sure was unchecked.
>
> I also did the following:
>
> 1) I just setup an old PC running Windows XP and Outlook Express on my
> network. I used it to pull my email and it all looked good. Came in clean
> and not as attachments.
>
> 2) I installed Windows Live Mail on my Vista machine, pulled my mail and
> guess what, they are all attachments.
>
> This must be a Vista problem with Winmail and WinLiveMail and maybe other
> email programs? Any ideas where to go next?
> "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
>

>> This should apply to WinMail as well.
>>
>> Outlook Express message appears blank and has an ATT000XX.txt or an
>> ATT000XX.htm attachment:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312351
>>
>> And from:
> http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/decode.htm
>>
>> Besides the problem described in this article with temporary files,
>> Outlook Express may have a blank message if Internet Explorer is set at
>> View, Encoding to Auto-Select. If so, disable the Auto-Select in Internet
>> Explorer and choose instead Western European (ISO). If your program has
>> an
>> option to read HTML messages in Plain Text, the HTML version of the
>> message may appear as an ATT0001.HTM attachment (the number may vary).
>> --
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP [Mail]
>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Dragontooth" <Dragontooth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Read all messages in plain text was not checked.

convert pptx to docx
How to convert PowerPoint to Word document? - Click the Office Button - Publish - Create Handouts in Microsoft Office Word -- James Bart: "According to creationism, there were no cavemen." Homer: "Well good riddance, their drawings sucked and they all looked like hippies!" "PowerPoint to Word" <PowerPoint to Word@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7288185-5BF8-4418-AEF3-D9D832AB5F0D@microsoft.com... > How to convert PowerPoint to Word document? ...

Outlook 2002 Deleting Attachments from all in Inbox
I can delete attachments from single items in Inbox but I need to remove them from all items in my Inbox. Due to the large number I haven't time to do them individually. Is ther a way of selecting all attachments then deleting them but still retaining the notes they are attached to? There are several tools for this; The one below is my personal favourite as it completely transparent. For instance; it will include links to the attachments and even keeps the paperclip icon http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook/Attachment-Save.asp?Source=RS If you decide to order use "BH93RF24&qu...

VISTA
When I go to save my excel 2007 worksheet which is running in compatibility mode because I have VISTA I get DOCUMENT NOT SAVED can anybody help? Thank you -- Paula Paula, Your Excel 2007 is not running in compatibility mode because of Vista. Compatibility mode means you have opens a old Excel file made with a version that pre-dates XL 2007 Form the Start menu open Excel. It will open with a blank XL 2007 workbook Add some data and Save Tell us what happens best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "PaulaC" <P...

Can't send attachments #2
I can't send attachments from outlook that originate on my computer. I can, however, forward e-mails with attachments and the recipients receive them. Please help! Thanks. ...

Outlook Express denys attachments
Anyone know what I need to adjust in OE to allow attachments to be read. I get the message that "OE has removed access to unsafe attachments in my mail". I'm a new Outlook Express user and have always been able to open attachments in Yahoo and AOL. Any advice appreciated. Leon Open Outlook Express and select Tools | Options | Security tab and uncheck the second box from the top concerning attachments. "Leon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05d401c4a05b$b488f880$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Anyone know what I need to adjust in OE t...

Sending attachments
When I send attachments the poeple at the other end cannot open them. The files seem to have the ending .dat rather than .doc Can anybody help me as to why? It doesn't seem to happen alll the time but seems to be happening more lately. Thank you Make sure you use HTML or Plain Text format when sending messages to users of any other e-mail client besides Outlook. Don't use Rich Text format, which is proprietary to Outlook and will cause problems for other recipients, one of which is that they won't get your attachments -- instead they'll get one of those .dat files. -- ...

convert numbers to words in excel
Is there any way we can convert numbers (figures) into words in excel . I am using ms excel 2000 for eg. 385 to be converted to Three hundred and eighty five Hi Ravindranb, See: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html Or: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q213/3/60.ASP --- Regards, Norman "ravindranb" <ravindranb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:146E461C-4366-43D8-AFB0-8E382E99FF74@microsoft.com... > Is there any way we can convert numbers (figures) into words in excel . I > am > using ms excel 2000 > for e...

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area on vista
Hp lap top, had my first bsod. had not changed anything in 6 days just surfing web. It was slow, and rebooted. bsod. I am in safe mode with network now, if i load into reg vista, it bsod. Here is what I have tried so far. not in any real order Restore to last up date 5/7 Failed restore to 5/4 failed, Restore to day before I added antivirus software 4/29 failed Ran spybot, safe mode Ran cc cleaner safe mode Ran chkdsk c:/r 8 bad sectors. Finally here. This is my work cpu, and i need to get the invoicing out. I have it backed up. I can access it through here. I will say this l...

Zip Codes converted to csv files
Every time I convert my drop ship lists from .xls files to .csv for import into UPS shipping software, the csv file drops the preceding zero on the east coast zip codes. How do I fix it? Format the column as "00000" (or however many digits a zip code is) -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "lynne@tymar.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:200101c3cf0d$cc2be8a0$3101280a@phx.gbl... > Every time I convert my drop ship lists from .xls...

I need to convert a scanned photo in Publisher to a jpeg format?
I have scanned a photo from my printer and would like to know how to convert the photo to a jpeg format. The photo is scanned to Publisher 2003. While in a state of withdrawal waiting for components to arrive to repair his dead laptop, Ed notices a message from "jonc9" <jonc9@discussions.microsoft.com>. >I have scanned a photo from my printer and would like to know how to >convert > the photo to a jpeg format. The photo is scanned to Publisher 2003. This once AND JUST THIS ONCE ONLY, right-click the picture in Publisher, click Save As Picture. In *ALL* future i...

Converting to PDF Newer Version Message
I just started using Publisher to create our Newsletter and convert it to a PDF for my users. They are complaining that it pops up the message "This document was created with a newer version of Adobe Acorbat". They can continue to view the document with the version they have, but we don't want them to receive this message since it's causing confusion and we don't have a newer version to offer them. Is there a way to prevent this message? Thanks! Lauren, When I create PDFs with Adobe Acrobat 6 Pro, I am offered a choice for the level created. Secondly, the free...

Outlook 2003 crashes and restarts in Vista
Hi all! I'm hoping to get some help from all of you! After my laptop installed some updates it started to crash Outlook whenever I'm writing an email. I have re-installed Outlook and even uninstalled some of the updates I thought would be conflictive, however it still happens. Here's the error I'm getting: Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE Application Version: 11.0.8312.0 Application Timestamp: 4a403990 Fault Module Name: OUTLLIB.dll Fault Module Version: 11.0.8313.0 Fault Module Timestamp: 4a793...

Trying to convert excel 2003 to pdf file? HELP
Need to convert excel into PDF file. I have adobe on my computer but does not show up on excel. Hi do you have the Adobe Reader or Adobe Writer. For the latter: You should find an entry in 'File - Print' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany abbroadus wrote: > Need to convert excel into PDF file. I have adobe on my computer but > does not show up on excel. ...

Attach file in header
MS Access 2007. I am having users enter and update data in a split form. I would like to put an Excel Workbook file as an attachment that can be downloaded by users (so that they could populate that template with many rows of data instead of manually entering on Access form). I put an attachment field in the header and attached the file, but that only "stuck" on the record that I was on at the time. How can I make an external file always available for download? ...

from date format convert to text format is wrong
Hello All, I download from SAP to excel a database. But unfortunately I can't convert date cells to text. For Example: 2010.02.01 and if I convert to text format i'll get 40181 data all cells. I have tried to copy my worksheet to other worksheet with copy paste special only values, but the result is same. Please help! Regards, Nooris In XL dates are actually stored as numbers. The number is the number of days that has elapsed since Jan 1, 1900. So for example if you type in the number 40181 and format the cell as date you will see that the date is Jan 2, 2010. -...

Vista not starting
Hi! My Dell Dimension/Vista Home Premium SPlatest has been running reasonably troublefree for thre years. Last week, the machine would come up to the 'Micrsosft Corporation' progress bar and progress away to glory. Sometimes a restart would work, sometimes not. The third time it happened, I found it wouldnt start even after three restarts It started on safe mode. I went back to normal mode and (I think) it did not start. Or maybe it ddid. I chanced to look at Event Viewer ( people should make it a practice to do so in the event of unexpected situations) and found a DHCP f...

File-Permissions in DATA-Folder (Attach / Detach)
Hi, after having some issues with File-Permissions during attach attempts, I played around a bit and found something weird which I'd like someone to confirm: Scenario: - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit - SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition (Version 10.0.2531.0) - Database for testing: "Test" - SSMS running under my local user account being sysadmin State #1 - SQL-Server stopped - Database "Test" attached - To see File-Permissions I need to Elevate User-rigths in Explorer - File-Permissions on Test.mdf & Test.ldf: - Owner Rights: Full Control - SQL...

how to install php on vista
I try to install php on window vista by running window installer from php.net. But in Configure IIS, I can not find add new extension (.php) in IIS manager. Also there is no php5isapi.dll in php folder. I try to run test.php on localhost, it gives error message "The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration." Need help to solve this problem. Thanks. On 09 Apr 2010, =?Utf-8?B?eW9yaw==?= <york@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general: > I try to install php on window vista by running wind...

attachments are converted to winmail.dat files
When I attach a pdf file, or an excel spread sheet to mey email and send it to a hotmail attach, the files are converted to a winmail.dat file. I had just installed the latest security patches from Microsoft. I am running Microsoft 2000 Professional. If you are sending your messages in Outlooks RTF(Rich Text Format)to a non-Outlook recipient, he or she will get plain text plus attachments with .dat extension. Change sending format to HTML and you should be ok. >-----Original Message----- >When I attach a pdf file, or an excel spread sheet to mey >email and send it to a hot...

Record of attached file
Does anybody know how to make Outlook 2002 automatically insert the file name (of the file that is attached to the e-mail) at the bottom of the body of the message? example: <<test.xls>> Outlook Rich Text - files inserted in the body where the insertion point it. Plain Text - files inserted in window below the message body. HTML - files inserted in header just below the subject. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted ...

Microsoft RMS POS 2.0 & Vista Home Premium
We just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium, and we plan on buying Microsoft RMS POS 2.0. Will version 2.0 of RMS POS run on Vista Home Premium? Thanks, Tom While RMS does on on Vista very well, in my opinion but you will want to make sure that all of addional POS hardware will work with Vista as well i.e. scanners, printers. etc... I know that the TPI plug-in from Mercury is not compatible with Vista and neither are the Mini MIRC check readers from Magtek. Having the ability to process checks is not as critical as it once was, as alot of retailers will no longer accept check...

Early .Pub versions to convert for Publisher 2003
I have created quite a lot of work in early versions of Publisher, but I cannot even view them in Publisher 2003. Is there a way around this or a simple converter to enable these files to be viewed and preferably worked on in Pub 2003? I actually really loved the early versions and would like to be able to install and use on XP along with Office 2003, so is this possible somehow? Help appreciated. Publisher 2003 should open XP(2002) publications. Are you getting an error? You can install 2002 in its own folder. Create a folder on your hard drive, install Publisher 2002. Othe...

Convert from excel to pocket pc
I need to know how to convert excel datasheet file from PC to pocket pc without loosing and function and formating. Excel for the pocket PC is a very lite version of the full product and not all features in a 'full' file will convert. Automatic conversion is available by Sync'ing the Pocket PC using a docking cradle/cable and a free program called ActiveSync from MS at www.microsoft.com The latest version for WinXP is 3.7.1 -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS alkhalaf74@yahoo.com wrote: > I need to know h...

Windows Vista and 2 Gb RAM?
Hi, Some people on the XP Discussion told me that Widows Vista only really runs well if it has 2Gb RAM. I know that the Upgrade advisor states a lot less, and that the Minimum system requirements is less also. Is this 2Gb need/want true, in what cases, and why? Is it just that Vista runs much smoother on 2 GB RAM? Thank you. Brian Having 2gig of RAM is a lot better than having 1 GIG or even 512MB. Go for it and you will not regret it -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. ...

Favorite feature about Vista
The favorite feature about Vista on my opinion is the Aero that it has. It creates a more visual look on the window and makes the graphics look better. I sent a message to Laredo Community College and I CCed Alejandra, so I hope Alejandra gets the message that this is not email. "Alejandra Contreras" <i1405104@cisnet.laredo.edu> wrote in message news:uY2t40AsKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > The favorite feature about Vista on my opinion is the Aero that it has. > It creates a more visual look on the window and makes the graphics look > better....