Update question

Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
proper to Windows 7.

I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.

So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.

I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.

My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
the full version?

--
Cheers

Peter

(Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)
0
Petert

Petert wrote:
> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
> proper to Windows 7.
>
> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>
> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>
> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?

	The Windows 7 Upgrade is specifically designed to be initiated from
within a legitimate (passes WGA testing) installation of the older,
qualifying OS.  It's not like older versions of Windows where one could
perform a clean installation using the Upgrade disk and merely have to
insert the CD for the older OS to continue.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce
2/28/2010 6:13:15 PM
"Petert" <peter.thomas8899@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
> proper to Windows 7.
>
> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>
> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>
> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Peter
>
> (Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)

There are no public Microsoft newsgroups to support Windows 7. Microsoft
Windows 7 support forums can be found here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

0
PvdG42
3/1/2010 12:10:56 AM

"Petert" <peter.thomas8899@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
> proper to Windows 7.
>
> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.

Do others have this problem?
Hard to imagine that Vista itself is responsible for this trick.
My guess would be outside interference in some way, involving settings.
<H>.

> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>
> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Peter
>
> (Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)

0
webster72n
3/1/2010 12:34:39 AM

> The Windows 7 Upgrade is specifically designed to be initiated from within
> a legitimate (passes WGA testing) installation of the older, qualifying
> OS.  It's not like older versions of Windows where one could perform a
> clean installation using the Upgrade disk and merely have to insert the CD
> for the older OS to continue.

False, as usual.

> Petert wrote:
>> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
>> proper to Windows 7.
>>
>> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
>> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>>
>> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>>
>> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
>> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>>
>> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
>> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
>> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
>> the full version?
>>

> The Windows 7 Upgrade is specifically designed to be initiated from within
> a legitimate (passes WGA testing) installation of the older, qualifying
> OS.  It's not like older versions of Windows where one could perform a
> clean installation using the Upgrade disk and merely have to insert the CD
> for the older OS to continue.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

0
xfile
3/1/2010 9:32:03 AM
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?

Hi,

The following links should answer your concerns "correctly":

Upgrading to Windows 7: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/upgrading-to-windows-7-frequently-asked-questions

Q.: What is a custom (clean) installation?
A.: A custom installation replaces your current version of Windows with
Windows 7 but doesn't preserve your files, settings, and programs (it's
often referred to as a clean installation for this reason). For installation
instructions, see Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom
installation). You can perform a custom installation using either the
upgrade or full version of Windows 7.

Notice that it says, You can perform a custom (a.k.a. a clean installation)
using either the upgrade or full version of Windows?

For installation methods, please visit the following link:

Installing and reinstalling Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

Sometimes, MS got its bad reputation from its close supporters and Bruce
Chambers among others is one typical example by spreading misinformation.

"Petert" <peter.thomas8899@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
> proper to Windows 7.
>
> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>
> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>
> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Peter
>
> (Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)

0
xfile
3/1/2010 9:33:18 AM
Apparently, MS have changed their policy and activation mechanism since the
initial release.

I found the following new article, and according to it, you are correct.

Windows 7 activation error: invalid product key

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Windows-7-activation-error-invalid-product-key

"The product key is for an upgrade version of Windows 7 and a previous
version of Windows wasn't on your computer when Windows 7 was installed. To
install an upgrade version of Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP must be
installed on your computer. If you formatted the drive before starting the
installation process, you won't be able to use the upgrade product key to
activate Windows 7. To activate Windows 7, you'll need to install your
previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 7.
For help with the activation process, go to the Microsoft Support website."

I apologize for insulting you.

> Petert wrote:
>> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
>> proper to Windows 7.
>>
>> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
>> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>>
>> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>>
>> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
>> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>>
>> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
>> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
>> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
>> the full version?
>>

> The Windows 7 Upgrade is specifically designed to be initiated from within
> a legitimate (passes WGA testing) installation of the older, qualifying
> OS.  It's not like older versions of Windows where one could perform a
> clean installation using the Upgrade disk and merely have to insert the CD
> for the older OS to continue.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

0
xfile
3/1/2010 9:47:49 AM
It is possible to install a Windows 7 upgrade version clean using the
procedure at
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

The Windows 7 upgrade licence only requires that you own a qualifying
product, not that the qualifying product is installed.

On 28/02/2010 17:57, Petert wrote:
> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
> proper to Windows 7.
>
> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>
> So have decided to upgrade to Windows&.
>
> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?

0
Dominic
3/1/2010 11:18:07 AM
Petert <peter.thomas8899@googlemail.com> wrote:

>Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
>proper to Windows 7.

Microsoft hasn't created any in the microsoft.public.* hierarchy. You
can use alt.windows7.general on any Usenet server (not
msnews.microsoft.com)

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov

Update for MS Money 2005?

HELP: directory question
Thisw may be off topic. Sorry if it is. I've got an application, and it gets installed to a particular directory (they choose) on a users computer. How do I find out what this directory is at runtime? I want them to install a license file, and then my application check the values in the license file at runtime. Problem is, the directory could be different for each user. Hamish Dean >-----Original Message----- >Thisw may be off topic. Sorry if it is. > >I've got an application, and it gets installed to a particular directory >(they choose) on a users computer. How ...

Problem with Script Updating

Technical Question
Hi all I have a main server with some agents which each agent acts like a server. in each agent SqlServer is installed. How can I integrate all agents's data into main server. I know a solution is to merge them. Is there a better way to merge them ?? thanks in advance pers What is the vesrion of SQL Server are you using? "pers" <rezarms@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ugfM8bhrKHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi all > I have a main server with some agents which each agent acts like a > server. > in each agent SqlServer is installed. ...

Counting question
In column A I have set of characters that are entered into the rows below (i.e. Y, N, MRO) in column B I have another set of characters that are entered into the rows below (i.e. A, E, on so on). I want to count the instances when the rows in Column A contain a Y and the rows in column B contain an A. Is there an simple formula for doing this? Any help will be appreciated. -- John =COUNTIFS(A:A,"Y",B:B,"A") Regards Steve "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62A26E1C-E421-41E6-834C-B8547707E2D4@microsoft.c...

Publisher 2007 and Microsoft Updates

Date question
My macro is embedded in an Excel workbook. On 'Sheet1' there are 2 input fields, (1) the 'Start' date, and (2) the 'End' date (for a 1 week period). Users will enter both dates. There are several restrictions: (1) the 'Start' date must be a Sunday, (2) the 'End' date must be a Saturday. and (3) these dates can only be for a 1 week period (7 days). There are edits already in place to identify issues for these 3 items. It will also be okay for users to enter a week in the future. However, they cannot enter last week's dates. ...

Update question

Question on Passwords
Why does Outlook 2007 keep asking me to enter my password for my email accounts? I enter them, check to save and the windows pops up again asking me to enter it again. I tried changing the passwords under account settings and it still dies it. This just started happening and I don't know how to get Outlook to save these passwords and quit asking me for them. Thanks Pat "patetc" <PatETC@gmail.com> wrote in message news:faf26217-b238-456f-a881-61ec5eb59d21@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > Why does Outlook 2007 keep asking me to enter my password for my email > ...

How update entity in post update?

latest update too MSCFV2

Dynamic Menu update

online updates for money2003(not updating)

Payroll Update

[ANN] Excel X security update

HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE?

Hierarchy Question (sort of long)
I understand hierarchies, but I have a problem that maybe someone can help me with. I have to be able to represent "special false levels" within a hierarchical representation. What I mean is this: Level 1 Boss / \ Level 2 (faux) "Self-Important Subordinate" \ \ Level 2 (actual) Other Subordinate(s) Does anyone have a simple way to do something like this? Create a special employee? For a more accurate answer, p...

FWD: Try on these correction update from the MS Corp.
--omvflfmgecbtuznop Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="pesxyyfvxtk"; type="multipart/alternative" --pesxyyfvxtk Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="locjfxspwlfruwcg" --locjfxspwlfruwcg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from th...

Cannot Update office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and what can be done to correct it I have the same problem with Tiger 10.4.11. "efrosini@officeformac.com" wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: intel > > When I try to update office a message appears saying that a version of the software needed to udate microsoft office is not available. What is this and ...

Cannot update table--only does SQL insert
Hi, just another newbie type of question.... i have a new window with its own table. i'm doing a "copy from window to table" &c, and it works fine to insert data the first time. however, i can tell from the SQL Profiler that when I try to modify the data, it does not do an update--it tries to do another insert (and of course, can't). Is there something I should be setting in Dexterity somewhere to make the table updatable, or do I need to manage this with PassThroughSQL? thanks in advance. Table operations are covered in detail during the Dexterity Training, pl...