Update question

Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
proper to Windows 7.

I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.

So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.

I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.

My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
the full version?

--
Cheers

Peter

(Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)
0
Petert

Petert wrote:
> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
> proper to Windows 7.
>
> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>
> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>
> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?

	The Windows 7 Upgrade is specifically designed to be initiated from
within a legitimate (passes WGA testing) installation of the older,
qualifying OS.  It's not like older versions of Windows where one could
perform a clean installation using the Upgrade disk and merely have to
insert the CD for the older OS to continue.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce
2/28/2010 6:13:15 PM
"Petert" <peter.thomas8899@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
> proper to Windows 7.
>
> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>
> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>
> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Peter
>
> (Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)

There are no public Microsoft newsgroups to support Windows 7. Microsoft
Windows 7 support forums can be found here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro/

0
PvdG42
3/1/2010 12:10:56 AM

"Petert" <peter.thomas8899@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
> proper to Windows 7.
>
> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.

Do others have this problem?
Hard to imagine that Vista itself is responsible for this trick.
My guess would be outside interference in some way, involving settings.
<H>.

> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>
> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Peter
>
> (Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)

0
webster72n
3/1/2010 12:34:39 AM

> The Windows 7 Upgrade is specifically designed to be initiated from within
> a legitimate (passes WGA testing) installation of the older, qualifying
> OS.  It's not like older versions of Windows where one could perform a
> clean installation using the Upgrade disk and merely have to insert the CD
> for the older OS to continue.

False, as usual.

> Petert wrote:
>> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
>> proper to Windows 7.
>>
>> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
>> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>>
>> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>>
>> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
>> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>>
>> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
>> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
>> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
>> the full version?
>>

> The Windows 7 Upgrade is specifically designed to be initiated from within
> a legitimate (passes WGA testing) installation of the older, qualifying
> OS.  It's not like older versions of Windows where one could perform a
> clean installation using the Upgrade disk and merely have to insert the CD
> for the older OS to continue.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

0
xfile
3/1/2010 9:32:03 AM
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?

Hi,

The following links should answer your concerns "correctly":

Upgrading to Windows 7: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/upgrading-to-windows-7-frequently-asked-questions

Q.: What is a custom (clean) installation?
A.: A custom installation replaces your current version of Windows with
Windows 7 but doesn't preserve your files, settings, and programs (it's
often referred to as a clean installation for this reason). For installation
instructions, see Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 (custom
installation). You can perform a custom installation using either the
upgrade or full version of Windows 7.

Notice that it says, You can perform a custom (a.k.a. a clean installation)
using either the upgrade or full version of Windows?

For installation methods, please visit the following link:

Installing and reinstalling Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

Sometimes, MS got its bad reputation from its close supporters and Bruce
Chambers among others is one typical example by spreading misinformation.

"Petert" <peter.thomas8899@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
> proper to Windows 7.
>
> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>
> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>
> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Peter
>
> (Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)

0
xfile
3/1/2010 9:33:18 AM
Apparently, MS have changed their policy and activation mechanism since the
initial release.

I found the following new article, and according to it, you are correct.

Windows 7 activation error: invalid product key

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Windows-7-activation-error-invalid-product-key

"The product key is for an upgrade version of Windows 7 and a previous
version of Windows wasn't on your computer when Windows 7 was installed. To
install an upgrade version of Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP must be
installed on your computer. If you formatted the drive before starting the
installation process, you won't be able to use the upgrade product key to
activate Windows 7. To activate Windows 7, you'll need to install your
previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 7.
For help with the activation process, go to the Microsoft Support website."

I apologize for insulting you.

> Petert wrote:
>> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
>> proper to Windows 7.
>>
>> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
>> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>>
>> So have decided to upgrade to Windows &.
>>
>> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
>> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>>
>> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
>> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
>> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
>> the full version?
>>

> The Windows 7 Upgrade is specifically designed to be initiated from within
> a legitimate (passes WGA testing) installation of the older, qualifying
> OS.  It's not like older versions of Windows where one could perform a
> clean installation using the Upgrade disk and merely have to insert the CD
> for the older OS to continue.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

0
xfile
3/1/2010 9:47:49 AM
It is possible to install a Windows 7 upgrade version clean using the
procedure at
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

The Windows 7 upgrade licence only requires that you own a qualifying
product, not that the qualifying product is installed.

On 28/02/2010 17:57, Petert wrote:
> Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
> proper to Windows 7.
>
> I currently run Windows Vista and am getting tired of Vista's decision
> to tell me that it is going to shut down in less than a minute.
>
> So have decided to upgrade to Windows&.
>
> I note that I can purchase an upgrade versiom for 64 quid from Amazon
> or an apparently full version of Windows 7 Home premium for 89 quid.
>
> My question is this - If I buy the upgrade version will I only be able
> to load it on a new PC in the future if I already have windows Vista
> installed? i.e For any future clean install will I need to purchase
> the full version?

0
Dominic
3/1/2010 11:18:07 AM
Petert <peter.thomas8899@googlemail.com> wrote:

>Soory if this is the wrong place to ask this, but cannot find a NG
>proper to Windows 7.

Microsoft hasn't created any in the microsoft.public.* hierarchy. You
can use alt.windows7.general on any Usenet server (not
msnews.microsoft.com)

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov

Welcome Screen Question
Windows XP Pro SP3 I recently set up a computer for my mother who is in her 70s. She likes the look and feel of the login process when the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching are enabled, so I've enabled both. Now I would like to lock her down to a standard user account. However, I find that when I remove her account from the local Administrators group, it no longer appears as one of the options on the Welcome screen. If I add the account back to the local Administrators group, it reappears on the Welcome screen. Is there a way to use the Welcome screen with a st...

Using SqlDataAdapter for Insert but not Update?
I'm having trouble getting my SqlDataAdapter to NOT overwrite existing records in my SQL table. I'd like it to perform the Insert on rows that don't exist, but not update the record if it already exists. I have it set to ContinueUpdateOnError because I don't want it to throw an exception if a row already exists, I just want to ignore it. I'm clearly missing something... On Dec 11, 4:46=A0pm, Stu <stumor...@gmail.com> wrote: > I'm having trouble getting my SqlDataAdapter to NOT overwrite existing > records in my SQL table. =A0I'd like it to pe...

Dotfuscator question
Hello Everybody !!! When i create programm using C# i must understand that my programm from exe - module can be converted to the source file by Reflector. In Order do not allow do this i must use dotfuscator, but i did not find any free normal dotfuscator. May be someone tell me what can i do cause now as think we have interesting paradox. We 've got free technology but if we want to protect our products we must buy expensive commercial dotfuscators. Alex Dmitriev You should post this message in a newsgroup which discusses managed code. This newsgroup does not have much managed traff...

sumif array question
I have a list of sales from last year by invoice date. What I'm tryin to do is compare a running total of this years sales to date to las years sales to date. I will need a fomula that will give me a total o where we are to today's date last year. I also need the formula to en at the end of each month. Thanks in advance B -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Array Formula Question
Hi all: I have an array formula question. Following is my data layout: Column A,D,G - Name for account exec. Column B,E,H - January,February,March sales results Column C,F,I - Blank Billy Fisher is a account exec. at our firm, His sales results are posted in a different row for each month, based on rank. In table below data, I list account execs in alpha order, and would like to calculate average for all months for each account exec. I have entered the following as an array formula in a cell corresponding to the table =average(if(a5:a13,d5:d13,g5:g13="Billy Fisher",b5...

A question of concept/logic
Hello folks, I would really appreciate your help on the programming logic of the following example: Let's say you have an invitees table with Invitees_ID and Invitees_Names Assuming that you have another table this time with Events_ID and _Name. Now I would like to be able to select invitees, some of them, and invite them to q selected event. Which logic should I use: - Make a third table with gathered Invitees_ID and Events_ID? - Make a table for each events' year so that it can last in the future? Any correction/info will be greatly appreciated :) Have a nice day P.S. sorry a...

IMF Not Updating HELP!
I'm having a problem and I hope someone can help. I configured IMF a couple of days ago. (Definitions are from 2005) It seems to be working great. I have the gateway set at 6 and the store at 4. So far getting very good results. But I can not update the definition files. I added the regisry key ContentFilterState and set to 1 I restarted SMTP service I triple check these settings, I've read all the documentation I can find on IMF. I've also checked to be sure I'm using Microsoft update and not WU. I go to Microsoft Update and press custom. I don't see the update listed....

XP Pro Update Cutoff; I need a full list
My computer is a Dell Dimension 4550 Desktop running Microsoft Windows XP Pro (Build 2600); version 2002 with Service Pack 3. It has an Intel Pentium 4 x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4: CPU 2.40 GHz; 2.39 GHz with 2.0 GB of RAM. The Display adapter is a 64MB DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with TV Out, and I am using Internet Explorer 8. My Printer is a 2009 Dell V505. Bus Clock: 533 megahertz. BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A08 9/23/2003. C: Drive Size is 76,285 MB with 78% Free Space. H: (My Book) Size is 465 GB with 89% Free Space. I have Microsoft Office XP Small Busines...

Multi_Column Check Before Update
I have inherited a database and need to mark certain records within the table to indicate the last entry, In excel I would use offsets etc to check for certain values before updating a field, however in Access I am a bit stuck, I have 3 columns, lets call them A, B and C In column A is stored a customer ref number, it is unique to the customer, however it could be entered up to x number of times dependent on the service used on a particular date, In column B I have a numeric, i.e. 1 to x which runs in tandem with the customers current line entry, i.e. 1st customer entr...

Time Question filtering out weekends and mondays
Im using the following expression in a query to find the average time elapsed between the time a case started to the time it ended. the problem is cases are not worked on saturday, sunday or monday. For our business we want to use an elapsed time that would not count those three days as time. For example if a case is started friday at 8am and finished the immediate wednesday at 9am that should be 49 hours instead of 121 hours. Actual Start Actual End Elapsed: Avg((DateDiff("n",[Actual Start Date],[Actual End Date])/60)) Thanks for your help. On Dec 13, 3:19 pm, Qaspec <Q...

questions on redeployment tool to copy production to test
In our environment, we have production and test CRM systems on two different domains/forest. Both have CRM running right now. Our objective is to refresh the CRM data in the test environment from Production. 1. The guide says that we need to create a new OU before starting the deployment tool. Do we need to create a new OU for our test system again. The OU is already present. What do we need to do to the OU and the users in it already in the test environment? 2. After the deployment wizard step in the document, the next step is Install Microsoft CRM. Do we need this step as it is alr...

Using Office on Mac: Some basic questions
I've been using a PC with Microsoft Windows for years, and I'm totally fed up with it. I'm thinking seriously about getting a Mac, but I need to have Microsoft Office. Is there a Mac version for this? Do I need to install it in parallel? Does it work reliably? paulinefiddle <paulinefiddle@gmail.com> wrote: > I've been using a PC with Microsoft Windows for years, and I'm totally > fed up with it. I'm thinking seriously about getting a Mac, but I > need to have Microsoft Office. Is there a Mac version for this? Do I > need to install it...

Automatic data update
Dear All, I want to know whether there is such function in Ms Excel?.. For example, I have some data series consisting 100 data..and every month I will add 1 data into the series.. And I want to create a chart showing the 10 latest data... in this regard, every time I add a data, automatically (or by clicking some button)...the chart will updating the data by add the new one and remove the oldest one,... so the chart still consist the 10 latest data... what i've been doing right now is only by dragging the data source area.... and since i will deal with more than 20 charts, this ac...

Stupied Question: Outlook 2002
I recieved a Pocket PC by Tobisha for Xmas and it says I have to install Outlook 2002 in order for it to work with my Pocket PC. Where do I find Outlook 2002. I know that is a stupied question but I'm so confused. Thanks, Marsha >-----Original Message----- >I recieved a Pocket PC by Tobisha for Xmas and it says I >have to install Outlook 2002 in order for it to work with >my Pocket PC. Where do I find Outlook 2002. I know that >is a stupied question but I'm so confused. Thanks, Marsha >. >You can find Outlook at most any store that sells software, Wl...

Change meeting don't send update
I want to change a meeting (in this case change the time by half an hour). I don't want to send an update to the attendee/s. The only options I get are "Save changes and send update" or "Don't save". I want to save the changes but not update. How can I make a change but not update people? If I remove the attendeed from the To box, it still wants to send an update, so presumably it is still registering them as people to say "you are no longer involved but I'll tell you anyway". If I click the "Cancel Meeting" button, it seems to wa...

Update Ower ID of Contacts
I'd like to update the ower id of several contacts that I am importing for another assocate in a Production enviornment. I have the GUID for the contact owner but it does not look like I can import the contacts and update the owner id at the same time? ...

Reminder emails for applicable service packs and tax updates
Is there any way to get emails when service packs for GP, FRx and tax updates become available? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=bb1d2c23-f600-4170-8506-bc...

Newbie question on variables
I had a coder write me a VBA which was rife with errors and he disappeared on me so I've spent the last few days somehow managed to slog through and make fixes (don't know VBA or coding) However I am stuck on my last fix. Essentially there are a # of functions within a larger one I need to set a variable inside an if/then statement and store it in a cell on the WS to access in a later function. Based on how he wrote to cells I did this wsCert.Cells(targetCertRowNumber, 300).Value = "Name" which worked inside other functions However I get this error ...

DAP query question
I have a bunch of data access pages set up. Working showing the data for a particular data. I have new plans and need to have a date range choosen by a user on the page itself, then that data to be shown for the entered range. so the query would be a select query summing with the date criteria being between [startdate] and [enddate] problem is how do i either create a calendar control or two drop downs on the page itself that the user can change to view the nessisary data. Im assuming a command button will also be needed. is there a way to pass the values from controls on a dap to the que...

About Tom's sorting question
About Tom's sorting question. Is it possible that Tom is tackling this problem the wrong way? How is Tom going to use a report with 24000+ part numbers? Trying to find a specific part number in a 2500+ page printed report is not very productive. Trying to find a specific part number in an electronic report is no better unless you set up a search function. If you have a search function, you don't need to sort the part numbers at all. My suggestion would be to make a form where you could enter the part number in a text box. Add a command button to open a report. Make the data sour...

Questions from a Newbie to Outlook 2007
I moved to Outlook 2007 because I have far too many email accounts to monitor... 12 IMAP accounts and 8 POP 3 accounts. This means I have over 100 email folders. Is there a global setting to configure a view that will apply to every folder? For example I want certain columns in the message list for every single folder. It will be a royal pain to have to do that one folder at a time. In Windows Explorer you can apply a folder view set in one folder to every folder with the push of a button. Can I do that in Outlook? With this many accounts, I naturally want to keep them all collaps...

Question #4
How to protect a excel worksheet from amendment(the format and formula set inside the sheet) but allow the user keyin data and save without password Michael Lam Hi Michael All cells on a Worksheet are Lockd by default, Format>Cells>Protection but this has no effect until you Protect the sheet, ToolsProtect>Protect Sheet. To lock all formulae cells only, push Ctrl+A then go to Format>Cells>Protection and Uncheck the "Locked" checkbox and Ok. Now push F5 (to show the GoTo Dialog) and click Special and check Formulas and OK. Now go back to Format>Cells>Protec...

Question about the Common Application Data Folder
I'm confused about how to use the CommonAppData Folder in Visual Studio. I need for my deployment project to put some files on the disk. Then, my application needs to find those files. I can use the deployment project to put files into [CommonAppDataFolder]\[Manufacturer]\[ProductName], or any variation on that. However, I can't figure out how to reference that folder from within the code. Conversely, I can use Application.CommonAppDataPath to find files in [CommonAppDataPath]\[CompanyName]\[ProductName]\[ProductVersion]. However, I can't figure out how to make the ...

Pickfolder question
If I run Set olfolder = olapp.GetNamespace("MAPI").PickFolder and select a folder, the TypeName is always "MAPIFolder". Is there a property or method to determine if it's an inbox item and not a contact or journal item? See the object browser (f2) for what properties are available for a MapiFolder object. The one you're looking for is DefaultItemType. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook Manage and share your categories: <http://www.vboffice.net/product.html?pub=6&lang=en> Am Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:32:34 -0800 schrieb ...

Security update turned on automatic updates?
I have had automatic updates turned OFF on all my computers for at least 2 years. Yesterday I installed all the latest security updates (EXCEPT KB977165) on two machines, one running WinXP Home SP2, and the other running WinXP Pro XP2. I rebooted both computers and everything ran normally on both. This morning I noticed that both computers started very slowly, and when I logged in I discovered that automatic updates had been turned ON and was downloading updates. I immediately opened the Security Center and turned automatic updates OFF again, but the automatic update servic...