There must be a way.........

There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed
(not corrupted).  I've researched and have not found a way.  Can anybody
help?
0
five256

<five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:hb12r5tjthdtl87hlpgrcapq9b0hd87c4e@4ax.com...
> There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed
> (not corrupted).  I've researched and have not found a way.  Can anybody
> help?

Yes, there is. It's called the System File Check tool.
Read about system file protection here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193

0
Dave
3/29/2010 8:46:57 PM
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:56:03 -0400, five256@NOwhere.com wrote:

> There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed
> (not corrupted).  I've researched and have not found a way.  Can anybody
> help?

Not signed is in no way the same thing as not corrupted.

Corrupted means something happened to the data in the file, perhaps caused
by a bad spot on the disk, by a software bug, or by malware.

Not signed means (drumbeat) not signed...Signing means obtaining some kind
of certificate from Microsoft. Lots of drivers and other software are not
signed and work fine, especially older stuff.

OT: I wish I could type "sign" on my first try, instead of "sing" :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
<not-me@other.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:56:03 -0400, five256@NOwhere.com wrote:
>
>> There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed
>> (not corrupted).  I've researched and have not found a way.  Can anybody
>> help?
>
>Not signed is in no way the same thing as not corrupted.
>
>Corrupted means something happened to the data in the file, perhaps caused
>by a bad spot on the disk, by a software bug, or by malware.
>
>Not signed means (drumbeat) not signed...Signing means obtaining some kind
>of certificate from Microsoft. Lots of drivers and other software are not
>signed and work fine, especially older stuff.
>
>OT: I wish I could type "sign" on my first try, instead of "sing" :-)

That's 'encouraging' - but I'm still concerned about it.  I performed a
chkdsk /r /f and it corrected mucho problems (I hope).  At least I know
it 'found' a lot of problems.  However, I still can't get my SFC to get
past 56% and don't know why.
0
five256
3/30/2010 1:18:37 AM
<five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:s7k2r55iqv0cjcf1kc9ofprf7a5o4kal2p@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:22:49 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
> <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:56:03 -0400, five256@NOwhere.com wrote:
>>
>>> There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed
>>> (not corrupted).  I've researched and have not found a way.  Can anybody
>>> help?
>>
>>Not signed is in no way the same thing as not corrupted.
>>
>>Corrupted means something happened to the data in the file, perhaps caused
>>by a bad spot on the disk, by a software bug, or by malware.
>>
>>Not signed means (drumbeat) not signed...Signing means obtaining some kind
>>of certificate from Microsoft. Lots of drivers and other software are not
>>signed and work fine, especially older stuff.
>>
>>OT: I wish I could type "sign" on my first try, instead of "sing" :-)
>
> That's 'encouraging' - but I'm still concerned about it.  I performed a
> chkdsk /r /f and it corrected mucho problems (I hope).  At least I know
> it 'found' a lot of problems.  However, I still can't get my SFC to get
> past 56% and don't know why.

Have you tried running SFC from safe mode yet ?

0
Dave
3/30/2010 7:50:14 AM
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:50:14 +0100, "Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote:

><five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:s7k2r55iqv0cjcf1kc9ofprf7a5o4kal2p@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 16:22:49 -0700, "Gene E. Bloch"
>> <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:

>>>Not signed is in no way the same thing as not corrupted.
>>>
>>>Corrupted means something happened to the data in the file, perhaps caused
>>>by a bad spot on the disk, by a software bug, or by malware.
>>>
>>>Not signed means (drumbeat) not signed...Signing means obtaining some kind
>>>of certificate from Microsoft. Lots of drivers and other software are not
>>>signed and work fine, especially older stuff.
>>>
>>>OT: I wish I could type "sign" on my first try, instead of "sing" :-)
>>
>> That's 'encouraging' - but I'm still concerned about it.  I performed a
>> chkdsk /r /f and it corrected mucho problems (I hope).  At least I know
>> it 'found' a lot of problems.  However, I still can't get my SFC to get
>> past 56% and don't know why.
>
>Have you tried running SFC from safe mode yet ?

Yes, same problem.
0
five256
3/30/2010 3:04:05 PM
<five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:fm44r5pid9kiguh0fq64lsd63jh66qiuhp@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:50:14 +0100, "Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote:
>

>><five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:s7k2r55iqv0cjcf1kc9ofprf7a5o4kal2p@4ax.com...

>>> That's 'encouraging' - but I'm still concerned about it.  I performed a
>>> chkdsk /r /f and it corrected mucho problems (I hope).  At least I know
>>> it 'found' a lot of problems.  However, I still can't get my SFC to get
>>> past 56% and don't know why.
>>
>>Have you tried running SFC from safe mode yet ?
>>

> Yes, same problem.

The message you get, about unable to perform the operation, does it hang
 or just exit after that ?

0
Dave
3/30/2010 3:36:16 PM
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:36:16 +0100, "Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote:

><five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:fm44r5pid9kiguh0fq64lsd63jh66qiuhp@4ax.com...

>>>Have you tried running SFC from safe mode yet ?
>>>

>> Yes, same problem.
>
>The message you get, about unable to perform the operation, does it hang
> or just exit after that ?

It just exits to the C:\Windows\System32> prompt.
0
five256
3/30/2010 9:32:03 PM
<five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:cdr4r5hdank9risu40vh3taqkanb07iojn@4ax.com...

> On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:36:16 +0100, "Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote:
>

>><five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:fm44r5pid9kiguh0fq64lsd63jh66qiuhp@4ax.com...

>>> Yes, same problem.
>>
>>The message you get, about unable to perform the operation, does it hang
>> or just exit after that ?
>>

> It just exits to the C:\Windows\System32> prompt.

If you haven't looked already, see if there is anything in the event viewer.
If there is too much stuff in there it might be best to clear all the logs so
you start with a clean sheet and then run SFC.

0
Dave
3/30/2010 10:13:41 PM
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:46:57 +0100, "Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote:

><five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:hb12r5tjthdtl87hlpgrcapq9b0hd87c4e@4ax.com...
>> There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed
>> (not corrupted).  I've researched and have not found a way.  Can anybody
>> help?
>
>Yes, there is. It's called the System File Check tool.
>Read about system file protection here:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193

It doesn't work with my Vista machine even though I use an Administrator
Account and run SFC as an administrator.  But thanks for replying.
0
five256
4/9/2010 2:27:00 AM
<five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:4t62r5dv64fdjsjjaj8tqkn3f4gfaubk0t@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:46:57 +0100, "Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote:
>

>><five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:hb12r5tjthdtl87hlpgrcapq9b0hd87c4e@4ax.com...
>>> There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed
>>> (not corrupted).  I've researched and have not found a way.  Can anybody
>>> help?
>>
>>Yes, there is. It's called the System File Check tool.
>>Read about system file protection here:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193
>>

> It doesn't work with my Vista machine even though I use an Administrator
> Account and run SFC as an administrator.  But thanks for replying.

I also suggested looking in the Event Viewer, have you looked there for any clues ?

0
Dave
4/9/2010 7:59:02 AM
SFC needs to be run from an elevated command prompt.

> <five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:46:57 +0100, "Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote:
>>

>>><five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>Yes, there is. It's called the System File Check tool.
>>>Read about system file protection here:
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193
>>>

>> It doesn't work with my Vista machine even though I use an Administrator
>> Account and run SFC as an administrator.  But thanks for replying.

0
Bob

Easiest way to create a link?
I'm just creating a simple link by typing the following: ='Sub Contracting'!F10 in the obvious format of ='worksheetName'!cell What's the fastest and easiest way to do this in excel? Currently, I have to type everything and it can be annoying flipping back and forth etc. It seems that there should be some sort of intellisense or something that would fill in the formula automatically for me or perhaps a way I can click "Create Link" then click on the cell on another worksheet to link to it. -- ParaDiddle -----------------------------------------------...

Best way to edit staionary
Hi all Just tried to edit some stationary in Outlook 2003! I found the 'inbuilt' editor to be rather lilited. Is there a better featured editor for creating/editing stationary? Where are the stationary files stored? Thanks in anticipation. John ...

I am getting an message saying"you must be an Adminstrator to...."
I am getting an message saying"you must be an Adminstrator to install Office 2007". Can someone please let me know how do I resolve this issue. It means you must logg on to win using an account that has full writes What version of win? "D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:653CE8A1-317C-4FD5-9599-9AE51F3892C4@microsoft.com... >I am getting an message saying"you must be an Adminstrator to install >Office > 2007". Can someone please let me know how do I resolve this issue. Log on to the computer as the administr...

Field1 or Field2 must be null
Is it possible to set a constraint on a table across two fields such that one of the pair must have a value and the other be null? Dan Neely wrote: >Is it possible to set a constraint on a table across two fields such >that one of the pair must have a value and the other be null? You can use the table's Validation Rule: [f1] Is Not Null Or [f2] Is Not Null -- Marsh MVP [MS Access] On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:21:03 -0700, Dan Neely <dan.neely@gmail.com> wrote: >Is it possible to set a constraint on a table across two fields such >that one of the pair must have a value...

best way to update view
Hi, I have a SDI application with a splitter pane. It has 2 panes, say left (tree view) & right(list view) just like windows explorer. The left view is initialized first and then right. I am populating the tree in the call to OnInitialUpdate and when the selection is changed for the tree view, I am calling UpdateAllViews. now the problem is that, UpdateAllViews is called before the OnInitialUpdate for the right view. The problem can be solved by using some boolean variable, but I want to know what is the correct/best way to fix this or I am doing something wrong here. The applicat...

Sorting problem
My manager gave me an old spreadsheet that he wants sorted in ascending order. The list he wants sorted are part numbers, some of which are alphanumeric. It is sorting them as numeric, which is not what he wants. I read the help file on sorting and it tells me that I need to format alphanumeric as text. It says, "To format a number as text, click Cells on the Format menu, click the Number tab, and then click Text in the Category list, click OK, and then retype the value in the cell." That's okay, except that this list has hundreds upon hundreds of part numbers and retyping all of...

Must display as: send on behalf of XXXXXXXX
Hi I hav exchange 2003 and xp pro clients. The PA has the right to send on behalf of the GM but in the From: field is showing that the mail comes directly from her which they don't want. How can i change this so that it display : On behalf of the GM(the name of the name) thanks On Thu, 18 May 2006 22:56:01 -0700, Craig from Huguenot <CraigfromHuguenot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi > >I hav exchange 2003 and xp pro clients. The PA has the right to send on >behalf of the GM but in the From: field is showing that the mail comes >directly from her which th...

OnHScroll/OnVScroll - position is only 16 bits??????
Hi, i've got a ListBox with a very large number of potential items (60000+) and I've noticed that the scroll position that is passed to OnHScroll/OnVScroll is only 16bit even though it's passed in as UINT32 - what kind of solutions are available for this problem? There must be some way around it because i've used windows applications that display more than 32767 items and use scroll-bars. Regards, Karl. me wrote: > Hi, i've got a ListBox with a very large number of potential items (60000+) > and I've noticed that the scroll position that is passed t...

OK, I must be retarded or something...
OK, I must be retarded or something. I am having the hardest time setting up POP3 mail for external users. When I do, eithe it halts all mail with no immediate return messages or it only allows delivery from an internal user to an internal user. I obviously do not want to have the relay open. That is understood. Here are the latest sub-genius steps I have done with no avail. Exchange 2003 over 2003 native\native AD domain All done under properties of <Server>\SMTP: 1. Accesss tab, Authentication button. Anonymous unchecked, Basic Authentication checked, and the default domain is listed...

what is the best way to do this?
I have data that I have exported from Access. The data is over time and is a 27 question survey. There are also over 30 departments. The questions have values of 1 - yes, 2 - no, 3 - n/a and 0 blank. I have to graph this data, per quarter (the date exported from access is date entered) by department. So I need a graph for each department for each question, the values for each question and the data over time. I'm not sure what the best way is to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help. mck mck I would look to use a pivot table/chart combination. ...

Fast Way of Updating SY01200 table?
Hello All, I'm trying to update the Item Internet Info table (SY01200) for existing items. The updated data is contained within a .csv/.xls file. What would be my quickest method for updating this table? Integration Manager and Table Import are useless for this task. I am not a SQL programmer by trade, so the syntax of how to do this eludes me. TY, Tom H. Can you post the column names for your CSV file? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot....

There must be a way...
Hey All: I've got a quick question that's been bugging me for a while. If I'v got data arranged by columns, but I've written a formula which I wan to drag right (i.e. rearrange the calculated data into rows), then ho can I write a formula so it will just copy over? The problem is that normally when you copy a formula to the right i will increment the column letter by one each time while keep ing th row number referenced in the formula the same. Instead, when I copy i to the right, I want the column letter to remain the same and the ro number referenced in the formula to ...

Is there any way to protect secure RMS database file ?
Is there any way to protect secure RMS database file or the backup file ? Right now if some gets hold of a either database or the backup file they can easly restore they data on another system without any passwords. Is there a way to secure either the backup file or the main database file so in order to restore someone would have to provide a password or some other way of security function Robert Well you could compress the backup file and require a password to uncompress it. I've only used PKZip, but I know it allows you to compress with a password... I don't know easy...

Is there a way to query the Outlook database?
I want to extract some data from a few hundred emails I have, but each one is huge and rather than spending the half-hour it'll take opening them manually, searching for the tag string and then copy-pasting the value immediately after it into Excel, is there a way to query the email database directly using regular expressions or something similar? Just as an explanation: I have a few hundred emails with errors in them, and I want to extract the actual error code, but it's in different places pages down in each email. It always says "ErrCode: [" and then the 20-digit code. ...

Best way to remote?
Please advise on the best way to do this... In our office I have two physical servers, a license for SBS2003 Premium, a license for Windows Server 2008 Standard and a license for Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. On one server I'm running the SBS2003 using Exchange 2003, SQL Server and ISA Server 2004. Our web site is hosted elsewhere, but I'm using a self-signed certificate so users can access OWA. The other server is running Windows Server 2003 Standard (I downgraded from the 2008) and I'm running VMWare Server with a Server 2003 guest that runs the Blackberry Enter...

Notes Connector Dirsyncs one way only
We have a Notes connector installed on our Exchange 2003 system. This connector is only being used for DirSync. We have no problems pulling directory information from Notes into Exchange contacts, but the reverse process of pushing Exchange mailbox information into Notes refuses to work for us. There is absolutely nothing in the Exchange Server logs to indicate that it is or isn't working. We looked into permissions issues for a while, but the Notes client installed on the Exchange server is able to create users in the target Notes database, using the exact same Notes.ini confi...

must I include stdafx.h?
Hello, I am trying to use a couple files in two different systems, one of which being an MFC project. What is the best way to write a fairly portable cpp file? When I bring a certain cpp file over to my MFC project, it initially will not compile because it doesn't have #include "stdafx.h" at the top. I thought about adding something like this to the top of the file: #if defined(_WINDOWS) #include "stdafx.h" #endif so that MFC would be happy, and my other system would not complain about not being able to find stdafx.h. However, this does not compile either: "f...

Setting Sale Price for must enter price items
we are having a store wide sale. There are items that you must enter price at pos. When I set a formula (price*.75) these come up as $0.00 even after entering the price. Is there any way around this??? ...

what must I do?
Hello all: I create a single document and the class view is derived from CListView using AppWizard,look: BOOL CTestView::PreCreateWindow(CREATESTRUCT& cs) { cs.style|=LVS_REPORT; } void CTestView::OnInitialUpdate() { ListView_SetExtendedListViewStyle(this->m_hWnd,LVS_EX_GRIDLINES); TCHAR rgsz[3][10]={"One","Two","Three"}; LV_COLUMN lvcolumn; for(int i=0;i<3;i++) { lvcolumn.mask=LVCF_FMT|LVCF_SUBITEM|LVCF_TEXT|LVCF_WIDTH|LVCF_ORDER; lvcolumn.fmt=LVCFMT_LEFT; lvcolumn.pszText=rgsz[i]; lvcolumn.iSubItem=i; lvcolumn.iOrder=i; lvcolumn.cx=60; GetListCtrl(...

> 12 series displayed, or better way?
a user has 11 curves to dispay. in addition, there is a series of X,Y pairs that he would also like to display. when the (x,y) pairs are displayed (they are actually discrete points), the first one shows fine, but any point added after the first, does not visibly appear on the chart. I tried deleting one of the 11 curves... then a second (x,y) point would display. It appears that the chart was only able to handle 12 sets of data. The reason that I tried to do it with a new series for each (x,y) pair is that the info displayed when the cursor hovers over the data point is much more...

I must be really goofy, but...
I need a formula to help me figure out a percent if cells. ie.. if A = $125.00 and I need to find out what 25% of that num,ber is.. how do I do that? -- jojo1964 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jojo1964's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=8289 View this thread: http://www.officehelp.in/showthread.php?t=1826079 http://www.officehelp.in =A1*25% or A1*0.25 -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "jojo1964" <jojo1964.3e4bfs@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:jojo1964.3e4bfs@DoNotSpam.com... > > I need a ...

is there a way to zoom the Excel view to the current highlighted cells..with a single click
Never mind I found it zoom to selection I wonder f theres a way to hotkey (shortcut) this? Jery ...

There must be a way.........
There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed (not corrupted). I've researched and have not found a way. Can anybody help? <five256@NOwhere.com> wrote in message news:hb12r5tjthdtl87hlpgrcapq9b0hd87c4e@4ax.com... > There must be a way to be sure all Vista and W7 system files are signed > (not corrupted). I've researched and have not found a way. Can anybody > help? Yes, there is. It's called the System File Check tool. Read about system file protection here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222193 On Mon, 29 Mar 2...

Custom validation rule
Hi, I have been using this formula to round time values to the nearest 15 minute increment: =ROUND(E10*96,0)/96 This works fine for cells where the value is auto-calculated. However, I have one cell where a value has to be manually entered are strictly 15 minute increments? What I thought I might do is create a Data Validation rule that checks to see if the value * 96 is an integer. If it isn't then it fails. How would I do this? I know it can be done, I am just having a bit of a block. TIA, Jarryd =INT(F13*96)/(F13*96)=1 "Simples"! Cheer...

is there a way to hide a whole worksheet in excel?
I would basically like to place all formulae on one worksheet and hide from anyone tempted to amend. most folks know how to unhide cells etc. Even if someone knows a sneakier way of making viewing of formula unviewable Good evening Marion McFarlane To hide a worksheet go to Format > Sheet > Hide. This can be unhidden through the same menu (but use unhide instead). To hide cells from view press ctrl + 1 and change the number format to Custom and ;;; (three semicolons). The formulae will still show in the status bar, so to hide from there, press ctrl + 1 and in the Protection ta...