Take Ownership

What does it mean to Take Ownership of a file or folder?
0
PeoplesChoice

<PeoplesChoice@Chicago.net> wrote in message news:gjqqv5ddgj7uesie7vdej1tshbv49unr1u@4ax.com...
> What does it mean to Take Ownership of a file or folder?

It means to transfer ownership of an object from the original
owner to you, (your account).
Google ' Take Ownership ' for more information.

0
Dave
5/26/2010 7:02:26 PM
To take ownership of a file or a folder
How to take ownership of a file
You must have ownership of a protected file in order to access it. If another user
has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the
file by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:
  1.. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click
Properties.
  2.. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one
appears).
  3.. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  4.. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and
then click OK.

  The administrator or the administrators group now owns the file.
To change the permissions on the file that you now own, follow these steps:
  1.. Click Add.
  2.. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or
group account that you want to have access to the file. For example, type
Administrator.
  3.. Click OK.
  4.. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then
select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
  5.. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.
  6.. You can now access the file.
How to take ownership of a folder
You must have ownership of a protected folder in order to access it. If another user
has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the
folder by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
  1.. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
Properties.
  2.. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one
appears).
  3.. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
  4.. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are
logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take
ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers
and objects check box.
  5.. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full
Control?
  All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

  Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
  6.. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want
for the folder and its contents.

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

<PeoplesChoice@Chicago.net> wrote in message
> What does it mean to Take Ownership of a file or folder?

0
Peter
5/26/2010 7:47:51 PM
Thank you very much!

On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:47:51 -0400, "Peter Foldes"
<maci252211@hotmail.com> wrote:

>To take ownership of a file or a folder
>How to take ownership of a file
>You must have ownership of a protected file in order to access it. If another user
>has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the
>file by taking ownership.
>
>To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:
>  1.. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click
>Properties.
>  2.. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one
>appears).
>  3.. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
>  4.. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and
>then click OK.
>
>  The administrator or the administrators group now owns the file.
>To change the permissions on the file that you now own, follow these steps:
>  1.. Click Add.
>  2.. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or
>group account that you want to have access to the file. For example, type
>Administrator.
>  3.. Click OK.
>  4.. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then
>select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
>  5.. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.
>  6.. You can now access the file.
>How to take ownership of a folder
>You must have ownership of a protected folder in order to access it. If another user
>has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the
>folder by taking ownership.
>
>To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:
>  1.. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
>Properties.
>  2.. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one
>appears).
>  3.. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
>  4.. In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are
>logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take
>ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers
>and objects check box.
>  5.. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
>want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full
>Control?
>  All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.
>
>  Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
>  6.. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want
>for the folder and its contents.
0
PeoplesChoice

Take Ownership
What does it mean to Take Ownership of a file or folder? <PeoplesChoice@Chicago.net> wrote in message news:gjqqv5ddgj7uesie7vdej1tshbv49unr1u@4ax.com... > What does it mean to Take Ownership of a file or folder? It means to transfer ownership of an object from the original owner to you, (your account). Google ' Take Ownership ' for more information. To take ownership of a file or a folder How to take ownership of a file You must have ownership of a protected file in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administ...

Bookmarks take me away from email
I use "Actions > Send Web Page by E-mail". Then setup the bookmark, and a link to the bookmark in Outlook. This link takes the recipient to the web page (www.webpage.com#bookmark), rather than jumping them to that part of the email. It seems like this should be possible since you can set the link to go to a bookmark. I don't even get how it thinks I would possibly want it to go to a web page. Help is much appreciated! ...

calculation taking too long
Currently I have a sheet where I enter my data and then another sheet within the same workbook that makes various calculations based on this data. But every time I enter data, it takes a long time for my formulas to calculate, upwards of a minute. I am pretty sure this is because my formulas contain entire columns as ranges (i.e. A:A rather than A1:A100). However I need to use A:A in my formulas as my data sheet is indefinitely long and I will continue to add to this over the years. I don't want to have to go back and change all my formulas to A1:A200 every time my data e...

Logging in taking too long
Why do SOME users' computers on my network take an unusual amount of time to log onto the network? I'm talking 15-20 min long! Not all of them too! This all started when we brought our server to our Austin office, due to Hurricane Rita, and brought it back to the gulf coast. When we brought it to Austin, we had to change settings (don't know what settings); then once we came back... there are some users who take forever to get on the server. Please help. Thank you, -- lfheb Have you checked event logs on both the client and the server? There has to be something in t...

How long will it take for migration?
Hi, I plan to do migration SBS 2003 to SBS 2008. I have about 500 GB data on the source server. and I have gigabyte network. How long it will take for the migration? Will the migration, will users feel the slow open files on server? Will the migration use a lot of CPU or memory? Thanks in advance! Lisa Hi Lisa (again <g>) The acutal moving over of the data files is trivial. It will take a few minutes to an hour. The real time consumer here is the moving of the exchange mail and public folders, which can take days. If you want/need a more accurate estimate of ...

Allen Browne's Has the Rcd been Printed
Hi, I'm using Allen Browne's code from Has the Rcd been Printed and all of that is working great. I'm now trying to implement the Taking it Further - Track each time a record is printed. (This has been cross posted to queries. I only did this because there is only one day left on this forum.) I am trying to write an SQL statement that will Copy the keys from member table to member print audit table and set a value in the member print audit table. Here is SQL like statement that I want to do: INSERT INTO tblBatchMember (AcctNo, SET BatchID = 999) SELECT q...

Why did the upgrade take so long?
Hello: It took a server 22 hours to upgrade 6 small databases (DYNAMICS and 5 companies) from 8.0 SP5 to 10.0 SP4!!! Anybody have any ideas as to why this took so long? All in total, the databases were only a little over 1 GB (again, in total)! Microsoft reviewed the steps that I took as well as the server that I used. The IT department did, as well. Everything was done correctly and within guidelines. No one knows why this took so long. I disabled antivirus this AM, beforehand, and ran file maintenance and DBCC CHECKDB and so forth. The only processes according to...

what would it take to.....
Hi all. I'm working on a project in which it'd be nice to have a worksheet function comparable to the LIKE operator from VBA. E.g. the names on the worksheet aren't all spelled exactly the same, but match in general. Does any one have any idea on what it would take to create a worksheet function for the LIKE operator? My VBA skills are no where near that advanced, so I thought I'd come here to get an idea on the logic involved in the operator. Thank you. Scratch this request. I found John Walkenbach's IsLike function. Thanks. "Steve" ...

Excel taking too long
Hi, I currently have 160,000 rows of data. There's only 7,000 rows I want to keep which are on every 22nd row. So I used that "mod" command and am displaying the remaining 153,000 rows. I highlighted them all and pressed delete. However that was 3 hours ago and the curser is still doing its endless circling!! Nor does there appear to be any indication of how longer excel will take to merely delete some rows! The question I want to ask is there any quicker way of doing this? I'm just wondering if it is worth my while to press alt ctrl and delete and end the proc...

Taking w/sheets out of a workbook
I have a workbook w/ sheets and need to get them out of the w/book and into a file. I have tried to move/copy and also just copying the sheet. Any ideas? On 5/18/2010 12:56 PM, gail wrote: > I have a workbook w/ sheets and need to get them out of the w/book and into a > file. > I have tried to move/copy > and also just copying the sheet. > Any ideas? You can easily select/copy/paste a worksheet to a new Excel workbook, then go back and delete the sheet in the original workbook. Bill A file is a workbook. Do you want to copy/move all sheets out a workbo...

What is the correct way to STOCK TAKE or 'Take Inventory'?
Yes, it's that time of year again, but this time we've got RMS, so the stock take will be a breeze I'm sure. But what is the correct/best way to do a stock take with RMS?? Thanks. El, Cheap wireless laptop with a bar code scanner attached to it, on a rolling cart. Install RMS on it and go into Manager | Inventory | Physical Inventory. This assumes you have wireless in the building, if not, add an inexpensive wireless access point or attach a 326' maximum network cable to it and drag it around. ;-) -- * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be using Ou...

loading web application project suddonly takes 5 mintues and says "Contacting server to open Web project.." wile it takes 5 minutes to load. how to fix? i tried reregistering asp.net and iisreset. no
loading web application project suddonly takes 5 mintues and says "Contacting server to open Web project.." wile it takes 5 minutes to load. how to fix? i tried reregistering asp.net and iisreset. no progres. ...

This delegate takes ParameterizedThreadStart takes an object but can be called wirhout parameter
Hi! The delegate ParameterizedThreadStart is declared as taking one parameter of type object and returning void like this public delegate void ParameterizedThreadStart(Object obj) So according to the delegate the method signature should be void ParameterizedThreadStart(Object obj) In this example when I use the method ThreadWorkWithParam which is based on the delegete ParameterizedThreadStart and look like this private static void ThreadWorkWithParam(object param) { .. . . } I call the method ThreadWorkWithParam without passing a argument I just call is like this t1.Start...

imported outline text doesn't take on Master attributes
PP2007 on Win7 64-bit. I created a list of words for flash cards in Word2007 and imported them into the PP2007 outline of an existing batch of flash cards. On the slide master there is a custom footer, date, and slide number. The single word, in a very large font size, is formatted as Comic Sans. When I added the slides none of the slide master's formatting showed [in the new slides]. By clicking on my new slide and clicking Home-> Slides->Reset I get the right font and size in the middle text box but no footer elements. I tried clicking in the View tab to force th...

Not taking index
I have a query that has 2 indexes on it as this is an index for a many to many table. IsDefault = CASE WHEN ws.SpaceID <> 0 AND Exists ( SELECT * FROM WorkDefaults WHERE FixedSpaceID = ws.FixedSpaceID OR NonFixedSpaceID = ws.WorkSpaceID ) THEN 1 ELSE 0 END, I have indexes on (FixedSpaceID,PK) and (NonFixedSpaceID,PK) and it is still doing an Index Scan on the PK. It is doing over a 100,000 reads and the plan shows it at 24%. Shouldn't it be picking up one of the indexes referred to in the select and not the Cl...

Taking a value 3 columns right
Hi, I have, A1: 1 D1: 2 How do I write the function that if say A1="1", then G1 will take whatever value that is 3 collumns to the right of cell A1 (in this case, "2"). Appreciate any help on this! Thanks! Enter this formula in G1: =IF(A1=1,D1,"") You don't specify what you want to happen if A1 is not equal to 1, so I have assumed you want the cell to remain blank. Hope this helps. Pete Natalie wrote: > Hi, > > I have, > > A1: 1 D1: 2 > > How do I write the function that if say A1="1", then G1 will take >...

Stock Takes
Does anyone know if there is a way of creating a stocktake from the available qty rather than on hand qty as we run stock takes on a rolling live basis not just when everything is posted & cleared. The stocktake based on 'on hand qty's' means that it will adjust incorrectly if we have unposted invoices. Any help will be appreciated... The only suggestion here is to use the Unposted Transaction button available on the Stock Count Entry screen to adjust the count recorded. For example, if you counted 15 pieces on the shelf and there were 5 pieces listed in Unposted Trans...

Re: Send To takes a long time
Hi All I found that this issue occurs only with Windows XP PCs and not with windows 2000 PCs. So I feel there is no Name resolution/DNS or RPC communication issues. What else could this be due to Regards Venkat "Venkat" <dvenk.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:... > Hi All, > > We recently moved a set of users in the main domain to a new domain in the > same Win2k forest. The users are on a seperate IP network and are connected > to the main domain's network using a router. > > The exchange server 5.5 SP4 is still in the main network. > &...

Take a look at these security package that came from Microsoft Corporation
--ybwbqweckl Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="bkfmvseqjupnfp"; type="multipart/alternative" --bkfmvseqjupnfp Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="eqbcarjdtdzb" --eqbcarjdtdzb Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your computer fro...

take values from listbox on form and INSERT INTO table
I have a piece of code that I am trying to use to insert values from a listbox on a form into a table, but I keep getting an error message: "Microsoft Access can't find the field 'frmROEsList' referred to in your expression." It stops right at the line: Set frm = form!frmROEsList I thought this line is supposed to define the form, frmROEsList, but Access is thinking there needs to be a field. Why/what field? I am trying to get the data from the listbox. Here is my code as is when a user clicks a line in the listbox: Private Sub lstOracleLinesForROEs_Click() Dim...

Outlook takes a while opening
I am experience slowness while opening Outlook XP, anyway form 45 to 80 seconds. I am currently running Office XP with SP 2 on a 2.4 GHz with 512MB. I already rename the "outcmd.dat" and still having delay Any Ideas.. Try disabling the integration with Instant Messenger in Tools | Options | Other and see if that speeds things up. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Deryck" <deryck.motielall@sesameworkshop> wrote in ...

Email taking its time?
We are in the process of moving from an Exch 5.5 server to Exch 2003. The situation we are experiencing at the moment is as follows: All our main domain email (@aaa.com) is still coming into the Exch 5.5 server. We have set up the Exch 2003 server with a new domain (@bbb.com) and on the 5.5 server are forwarding email coming into a users mailbox to their @bbb.com domain name. This is temporary until we move all users across (500 or so). The Exch 2003 server has both the @aaa.com and @bbb.com domain assigned to its mailstore, and the @aaa.com is set as the default. The above works fine an...

Take a look at important patch from the M$ Corporation
--bgknsnsxrf Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="eqmmxvfryf"; type="multipart/alternative" --eqmmxvfryf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="nagrsturcwerjp" --nagrsturcwerjp Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer. This update...

How do I take a square and...
Hi Everyone, I have Publisher 2007. I'm making plans for a wood duck box and I want to make a square and then pull one corner of it slightly down so it looks like the wood duck box is on a slight angle. Is this possible please. Thanks for your time. -- Ron You can draw a square, copy/paste special as a .wmf, ungroup then edit the points. This will allow you to pull down one corner. Publisher also has 3D tools. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Ron" <spiffybrit@cox.net> wrote in message news:C258E4F7-5969-479E-B7CE-CE2FAB77DAF2@microsoft.com... > Hi Ev...

Take a look at this.
Forget the rest now try the best, if you are serious about making money and working from home take a look at http://thecustardslice.com/r/wayneypayneysplash.html i arnt going give you any bullshit here and i arnt selling anything either, so i got nothing to gain and nothing to lose. i arnt going say you can earn thousands overnight either, like any buisness the harder you work at it the more it starts to pays off, starts off slow and slowly builds up. ...