Searching network drives?

Hello.

   Still trying to figure out Vista as my work computer was recently
upgraded from XP.

  In XP if I wanted to search a network drive for a file or folder with a
partial known name, I'd use the search tool and it returned results fairly
quickly.

  In Vista, the network admins have indexing disabled for the network
because they don't want hundreds of computers constantly scanning for
changes. Which is fine, but now when I want to find a file, I *think* this
thing is scanning through every file, *name and contents* for my search term,
which makes it far, far slower.  In fact, in the time it took me to search
this newsgroup, read about 10 posts, and then open this window to type my
query, Explorer has still not located the document I want. (I know it exists
because I was just looking at it from a coworker's screen.)

I *could* just ask him what the path is, but that wouldn't be "teaching a
man to fish" as it were. Would somebody please clue me into how I can search
file names only? Is that an option anywhere?

Thanks!

Jim

If you look at the Search tab via Control Panel > Folder Options then
there's an option for this ("Always search file names only") , if I've
understood you correctly.

--
Jon

"JaimeZX" <JaimeZX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
>   Still trying to figure out Vista as my work computer was recently
> upgraded from XP.
>
>  In XP if I wanted to search a network drive for a file or folder with a
> partial known name, I'd use the search tool and it returned results fairly
> quickly.
>
>  In Vista, the network admins have indexing disabled for the network
> because they don't want hundreds of computers constantly scanning for
> changes. Which is fine, but now when I want to find a file, I *think* this
> thing is scanning through every file, *name and contents* for my search
> term,
> which makes it far, far slower.  In fact, in the time it took me to search
> this newsgroup, read about 10 posts, and then open this window to type my
> query, Explorer has still not located the document I want. (I know it
> exists
> because I was just looking at it from a coworker's screen.)
>
> I *could* just ask him what the path is, but that wouldn't be "teaching a
> man to fish" as it were. Would somebody please clue me into how I can
> search
> file names only? Is that an option anywhere?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim

0
Jon
1/19/2010 4:05:39 PM
Jon, thanks for the reply.

First, a follow-up - I let my previous search run all night and it still
didn't find the folder I was looking for.

I set the options to "search file names only" as Jon suggested, and it found
the folder in about 15 seconds.

I guess my second question(s) is(are), then, "Why is this buried in the
control panel? Is there a way to do it on the fly without digging into the
control panel? Is there a way to do this from the search pane?"

Thanks again!

> Jon, thanks for the reply.
>
> First, a follow-up - I let my previous search run all night and it still
> didn't find the folder I was looking for.
>
> I set the options to "search file names only" as Jon suggested, and it
> found
> the folder in about 15 seconds.
>
> I guess my second question(s) is(are), then, "Why is this buried in the
> control panel? Is there a way to do it on the fly without digging into the
> control panel? Is there a way to do this from the search pane?"

Yw. Yes you can do it from the Search pane. If you press the 'alt' key and
then Tools > Folder Options from the menu that appears, then you can arrive
at the same place.

--
Jon

0
Jon
1/19/2010 10:47:16 PM
Right, right. Guess I was imprecise with my query. What I meant was, why
isn't this just a check box like it was in XP? (Rhetorical question, now.)

Jim

"Jon" wrote:

> "JaimeZX" <JaimeZX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jon, thanks for the reply.
> >
> > First, a follow-up - I let my previous search run all night and it still
> > didn't find the folder I was looking for.
> >
> > I set the options to "search file names only" as Jon suggested, and it
> > found
> > the folder in about 15 seconds.
> >
> > I guess my second question(s) is(are), then, "Why is this buried in the
> > control panel? Is there a way to do it on the fly without digging into the
> > control panel? Is there a way to do this from the search pane?"
> >

> Yw. Yes you can do it from the Search pane. If you press the 'alt' key and
> then Tools > Folder Options from the menu that appears, then you can arrive
> at the same place.
>
> --
> Jon
>

> .

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:43:01 -0800, JaimeZX
<JaimeZX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Right, right. Guess I was imprecise with my query. What I meant was, why
>isn't this just a check box like it was in XP? (Rhetorical question, now.)

Because the whole search interface was redone to work primarily by typing
in the search window, minimizing settings in dialogs.  So, you can easily
restrict search results to file names by prefixing your search word with:

    filename:
or just
    file:

The new style of search takes a little getting used to, but having done
that, I much prefer it.  A reference page for the new queries is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/advquery.mspx

Doug M. in NJ

>> "JaimeZX" <JaimeZX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Jon, thanks for the reply.
>> >
>> > First, a follow-up - I let my previous search run all night and it still
>> > didn't find the folder I was looking for.
>> >
>> > I set the options to "search file names only" as Jon suggested, and it
>> > found
>> > the folder in about 15 seconds.
>> >
>> > I guess my second question(s) is(are), then, "Why is this buried in the
>> > control panel? Is there a way to do it on the fly without digging into the
>> > control panel? Is there a way to do this from the search pane?"
>> >

>> Yw. Yes you can do it from the Search pane. If you press the 'alt' key and
>> then Tools > Folder Options from the menu that appears, then you can arrive
>> at the same place.
>>
>> --
>> Jon
>>

>> .

0
Retroman
1/20/2010 1:00:38 AM
Cool! Thanks for the link and the tip.

Still, seems *less* intuitive to me now because you have to remember tags
for the search bar rather than using checkboxes and drop-downs for the date
ranges, etc. Also doesn't seem like MS considered enterprise usage of the
search tool very well. Just MHO.

Thanks again!

"Retroman" wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:43:01 -0800, JaimeZX
> <JaimeZX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Right, right. Guess I was imprecise with my query. What I meant was, why
> >isn't this just a check box like it was in XP? (Rhetorical question, now.)
>
> Because the whole search interface was redone to work primarily by typing
> in the search window, minimizing settings in dialogs.  So, you can easily
> restrict search results to file names by prefixing your search word with:
>
>     filename:
> or just
>     file:
>
> The new style of search takes a little getting used to, but having done
> that, I much prefer it.  A reference page for the new queries is here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/technicalresources/advquery.mspx
>
> Doug M. in NJ
>

> >> "JaimeZX" <JaimeZX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Yw. Yes you can do it from the Search pane. If you press the 'alt' key and
> >> then Tools > Folder Options from the menu that appears, then you can arrive
> >> at the same place.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jon
> >>

> >> .
> >>
> .

deleting messages in M drive
Has anyone tried to delete messages from the M drive? Is this a good way to go to clean out spam or other unwanted messages? Thanks, Mario general consensus is to not touch the M:\ drive - pretend it does not exist...don't virusscan it, don't back it up, do not touch it... "Mario Santonastaso" <santonm@campbellhall.org> wrote in message news:vtn7a0tu88fl61lj2h8nivkujr5sct1cim@4ax.com... > Has anyone tried to delete messages from the M drive? Is this a good > way to go to clean out spam or other unwanted messages? > Thanks, > Mario Susan is right. The...

Search & replace in formulae

Searching for Newsgroups

Search engine optimization

Office Test Drive re-installs over Office 10.1.5
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3155982327_82575 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Hi . . . this happened in reverse order from any of the other Test Drive / full install postings I've found . . . In attempting to restore some Apple-installed software that was corrupted in a hard drive crash on my 12" Powerbook G4 (867mhz, os10.2.8), Office v.X Test Drive was re-installed. Although all of my user data is still intact,...

excel VBA

Multiple fields using to search
Hi, Something i've been batteling for weeks with and theres probably such a simple answer to it and i just cant see it: Riiiight, i have this form (lets call it frmClientSearch) On this form i have a 2 list box thinghys; One called lstEmployee which is populated with Employee names and the other lstCity which is populated with City Names. Then i have a command button (cmdSearch) which, once click and values selected in both the lst boxes, should return only the values that are equal to both the lst boxes in a new form called frmSearchResult. (Hope i make sense) So... I know how ...

Search, Search, Thanks
In the last couple of weeks I have been fighting with different ways o synching my laptop and my home pc. I have ended up with numerou duplicate entries, duplicate address books and duplicate contact lists ALL of my questions/problems I was able to resolve simply by searchin through the forums. Chances are if you have a problem you're not th first. There are some really good people on these forums that know alo more about Outlook than I do. Just my .02 Thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages dir...

Including imap folders in outlook 2003 search folders
Dear all, Is it possible to include imap accounts/folders as providers for "virtual" search folders in outlook 2003? At the moment, I only see the option to check folders in my personal folders but not to include imap folders. The reason that I ask is that I would like to be able to get a complete view of follow up tasks across all my accounts (1 pop3, 2 imap and 1 hotmail). Only the pop3 account gets delivered into the personal folders and is included in the follow up a nd unread search folders. Thanks for your help in advanced. Raj ...

Display search results
Using OneNote 2010 Beta: file tabs are on the left; how can I make search result tabs appear on the right? Now they don't appear at all: the first search result is displayed in the middle of the screen (that's fine) but no way to move to the next search result, nor any way to scrool them all the search results. I'd like to see all the search result tabs listed on the right so I can choose the one I want (as was the case with the version of OneNote that got replaced by 2010 beta). Many thanks for any help. -- CH I can't really visualize what you want, but h...

Search Form Problems
I have a form that has two fields in it. The first field is for a ID number, and the other is for the projects name. I am having a problem with using the form for as a search tool. Some of the values are duplicates in the drop down, I wanted to know how to properly filter the combo box so that the values can only be seen once. The Row Source is the name of the table that the fields are from, however this only words for the ID combo box and not the project name one. For some reason the values are from the ID column in the project name's combo box as well. To counter this problem, I si...

Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? For example, a cell may have a formula such as =3+5 You can search and find the 3 or the 5. The cell with show 8, is it possible to search for an 8 and have it find this cell? TIA Yes. In the Search dialog, choose Options and select Look in Values. -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "berj" <berj@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:WbednSOFT7Cbp57fRVn-1Q@adelphia.com... > Is it possible to search on the results on a cell? > > For example, a cell may have a formula such as > > =3+5 >...

How can I search for a phrase within thousands of documents 2003 search I searched for "Trust" in document name and "special needs" within document -- Irritated 2007 Word User You could do that by modifying the code in the article "Find & ReplaceAll on a batch of documents in the same folder” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm probably in combination with the code in the article "Insert into a document the names of all files in a selected folder” at: http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/InsertFileNames.htm ...

Money File on Network
I have a wireless network and I have M2005 deluxe on my home computer and M2005 basic on my laptop. When I try to open the money file on my desktop computer from my laptop computer, it will not let me open the file. It says that it is read only and cannot be opened. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this problem?? Thank You Make sure with, say, notepad, that you can save a file in the same shared folder from the client. There are lots of possibilities here. Many of them have nothing to do with Money. One other possibility comes to mind: are both machines at the same Money versi...

Outlook 2000 network problems
Hi! We migrated our domain from windows2000 to windows2k3 and now we have a problem with new outlook2000 profiles on nt clients (nt4, sp6a). if you want to install a new profile the client cant connect to the exchange server. error windows says network problems are preventing the client to connect to the server... this is only if you want create a new profile. other nt4 clients make no problems connecting to outlook. our exchange version is 2000 with latest sp. any ideas? thanxs!!! "Gamharter Peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:025801c538f6$241...

search
Why is it when I search (for a posting I listed) I never get any hits. I know I posted a message. I even search for a message on the screen and get nothing. mvestel@lbl.gov Sorry, that's not enough info. It should work if the parameters are configured correctly. Can you be more specific about how it fails? "Michael Vestel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:45bb01c39f70$922026c0$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > Why is it when I search (for a posting I listed) I never > get any hits. I know I posted a message. I even search > for a message on ...

Search for record which needs two search terms
I have a table where the records are uniquely identified by a combination of two fields ChildAOLTermID and PhotoID. I want to use a combo on a form to look up records in the table. In the AfterUpdate event: DoCmd.SearchForRecord , , acFirst, "[ChildAOLTermID] = " & Me.cboFindRecord.Column(0) works but doesn't get me to the precise record I need because the PhotoID side of the record is not being specified. However, if I add that so that the search looks like: DoCmd.SearchForRecord , , acFirst, "[ChildAOLTermID] = " & Me.cboFindRecord.Column(0) And "[Phot...

Can anyone tell me how to search across all worksheets in a workbook? I have a viewing diary with a sheet for every day of the month and it would really help if we could search the whole workbook for a name. Many thanks Michele Hi Michele Slect all sheets first. It's done this way: Click sheet tab of the first sheet. Hold Shift button and click the the last sheet tab. Now search. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please. "Michele" <mjh1606@aol.com> wrote in message news:011301c35926$07b30d30$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone tell m...

Good Morning: I am in the middle of an email audit and I am trying to do searches that meet certain guidelines. An example of a search would be: The searches are like this Frequent within 10 words of Trad* Excessive with in 10 words of Employee Any help would be great. Cheers Darren ...

How can I create a multiple field search box? (corrected post)
Hi, I need assistance in creating a multiple field search box, i have a screen shot but i couldn't find a way to include it in this message. I have been battling with this problem for weeks. the search box was created in foxpro, i'm trying to create a similar search box in ms access 2003. it searches only one table so each table has a search box for it. Here is a description for the search box for the community table which is one of the tables in the database. It has a drop down list that selects all the fields in the table such as area code for the community, community code, and com...

Hard drive (H:) shows size as 720kb, but is actually 80GB
Hi, I have a* 2.8 GHz P4 intel processor* with an *ASUS p5rd1-vm* mother board and an *ATI radeon (128Mb) *Graphics Card with *768 Mb of RAM*. I recently put in a new hard disk and everything was running fine while I was using XP. I tried to install 7, but it did not work, so I decided to revert back to XP. After installation everything seemed fine till I checked on my hard drives. Drive H which should have a capacity of 85GB, shows only 720kb in size when it's properties are checked. All the other partitions seem to be working just fine. Also, when you click on the drive, It ask...