Save hardware drivers

Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my Radeon 1650
SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000 keyboard

I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete (particularly the
former) so I was wondering whether it's possible to save the drivers now for
future install - the driver details document all the driver files &
locations but not sure how to re-install - just drop them in the right
folder?

It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either direct
install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software install which i dont
want on my machine 

0
Chris
8/7/2010 12:05:40 PM
windows.vista.general 2096 articles. 0 followers. Follow

19 Replies
920 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 31

Chris K wrote:
> Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my
> Radeon 1650 SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000
> keyboard
> I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete
> (particularly the former) so I was wondering whether it's possible
> to save the drivers now for future install - the driver details
> document all the driver files & locations but not sure how to
> re-install - just drop them in the right folder?
>
> It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either
> direct install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software
> install which i dont want on my machine

If the drivers become obsolete - it's time to move on - really.  Since you 
can still download Windows 98 drivers from many manufacturer's web pages.

Or is that the real issue here - you are not going to the manufacturer's web 
page for each hardware device to download the proper and latest drivers for 
your hardware?

Did you visit here:
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/drivers.aspx
  ...  for the ATI video card drivers?
If so - did you then click on:
http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.1&contentType=GPU%20Download%20Detail 
("All Graphics - Desktop")??
Then select your video card and OS combination using the pull-down menus?

I would greatly suspect that through 2014+ - you will be able to do this.

However - if you had done this - then you would have saved the file relevant 
to your OS already and known that once you saved that file - you had to run 
it to install it.  So - logic says that if you save the downloaded file to 
some external media - you can keep it for as long as the media can be 
read/used.

-- 
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
-- 
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html 


0
Shenan
8/7/2010 1:19:38 PM

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:#Hwi4MjNLHA.1624@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Chris K wrote:
>> Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my
>> Radeon 1650 SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000
>> keyboard
>> I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete
>> (particularly the former) so I was wondering whether it's possible
>> to save the drivers now for future install - the driver details
>> document all the driver files & locations but not sure how to
>> re-install - just drop them in the right folder?
>>
>> It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either
>> direct install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software
>> install which i dont want on my machine
>
> If the drivers become obsolete - it's time to move on - really.  Since you 
> can still download Windows 98 drivers from many manufacturer's web pages.
>
> Or is that the real issue here - you are not going to the manufacturer's 
> web page for each hardware device to download the proper and latest 
> drivers for your hardware?
>
> Did you visit here:
> http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/drivers.aspx
>  ...  for the ATI video card drivers?
> If so - did you then click on:
> http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.1&contentType=GPU%20Download%20Detail 
> ("All Graphics - Desktop")??
> Then select your video card and OS combination using the pull-down menus?
>

Thanks for link - I hadn't found that - did install it but it just confirmed 
my earlier statement - the install is 500 million gygabytes big, installs 
load software i dont need/want (porn sites, trojans etc) - seems to be some 
sort of download manager, prolly to make sure my PC is always kept up to 
date with latest viruses - but this is a first - after all that, it 
contained *no* video drivers (my original ATI driver is May 2008 and still 
is after install - god knows where Vista managed to find that on the web) - 
obviously i will uninstall that bloatware but no doubt most of it will 
continue infest my OS for ever more

I supose the short answer is that i cant save a driver that's already 
installed - a new video card maybe 

0
Chris
8/7/2010 2:56:05 PM
Chris K wrote:
> Thanks for link - I hadn't found that - did install it but it just
> confirmed my earlier statement - the install is 500 million
> gygabytes big, installs load software i dont need/want (porn sites,
> trojans etc) - seems to be some sort of download manager, prolly to
> make sure my PC is always kept up to date with latest viruses - but
> this is a first - after all that, it contained *no* video drivers
> (my original ATI driver is May 2008 and still is after install -
> god knows where Vista managed to find that on the web) - obviously
> i will uninstall that bloatware but no doubt most of it will
> continue infest my OS for ever more
> I supose the short answer is that i cant save a driver that's
> already installed - a new video card maybe

The answer is, "Yes, you can save your drivers; but you have to actually 
download them."

The thing you need to realize is that you probably have some generic driver 
installed by Windows Vista or one that ATI gave to Microsoft (actually 
probably paid Microsoft to take) who knows how many versions ago (the latest 
version should always be gotten from the manufacturer of the hardware 
device) to put on the Windows/Microsoft updates web page/functionality.

You should *always* get your driver from the manufacturer.  If you got the 
driver another way - including downloading from Microsoft - there's a 
possibility it is not the latest/most stable/best performing version. 
 Also - Microsoft does not manufacture or directly support your hardware 
(other than maybe a keyboard/mouse/some other small peripherals.)

-- 
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
-- 
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html 


0
Shenan
8/7/2010 3:55:28 PM

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:uJzM9jkNLHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Chris K wrote:
>> Thanks for link - I hadn't found that - did install it but it just
>> confirmed my earlier statement - the install is 500 million
>> gygabytes big, installs load software i dont need/want (porn sites,
>> trojans etc) - seems to be some sort of download manager, prolly to
>> make sure my PC is always kept up to date with latest viruses - but
>> this is a first - after all that, it contained *no* video drivers
>> (my original ATI driver is May 2008 and still is after install -
>> god knows where Vista managed to find that on the web) - obviously
>> i will uninstall that bloatware but no doubt most of it will
>> continue infest my OS for ever more
>> I supose the short answer is that i cant save a driver that's
>> already installed - a new video card maybe
>
> The answer is, "Yes, you can save your drivers; but you have to actually 
> download them."

Actually meant save a driver that's already installed

>
> The thing you need to realize is that you probably have some generic 
> driver installed by Windows Vista or one that ATI gave to Microsoft

Nope - when Vista first installed it used generic driver (screen was crap) - 
i used "update driver" and after crawling the web for quite long time it 
downloaded the correct driver - albeit 2 years old


> You should *always* get your driver from the manufacturer.


As per your link - aint happening - i think the card is just too old and not 
supported beyond 2008 - but it works fine - would be nice to save it while 
I've got a driver *at all*
 

0
Chris
8/7/2010 4:31:49 PM
"Chris K" <reply@the.board> wrote in message news:0Uf7o.66132$pj7.36348@hurricane...
> 
> 
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:uJzM9jkNLHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Chris K wrote:
>>> Thanks for link - I hadn't found that - did install it but it just
>>> confirmed my earlier statement - the install is 500 million
>>> gygabytes big, installs load software i dont need/want (porn sites,
>>> trojans etc) - seems to be some sort of download manager, prolly to
>>> make sure my PC is always kept up to date with latest viruses - but
>>> this is a first - after all that, it contained *no* video drivers
>>> (my original ATI driver is May 2008 and still is after install -
>>> god knows where Vista managed to find that on the web) - obviously
>>> i will uninstall that bloatware but no doubt most of it will
>>> continue infest my OS for ever more
>>> I supose the short answer is that i cant save a driver that's
>>> already installed - a new video card maybe
>>
>> The answer is, "Yes, you can save your drivers; but you have to actually 
>> download them."
> 
> Actually meant save a driver that's already installed
> 
>>
>> The thing you need to realize is that you probably have some generic 
>> driver installed by Windows Vista or one that ATI gave to Microsoft
> 
> Nope - when Vista first installed it used generic driver (screen was crap) - 
> i used "update driver" and after crawling the web for quite long time it 
> downloaded the correct driver - albeit 2 years old
> 
> 
>> You should *always* get your driver from the manufacturer.
> 
> 
> As per your link - aint happening - i think the card is just too old and not 
> supported beyond 2008 - but it works fine - would be nice to save it while 
> I've got a driver *at all*
> 
>

I don't know if this would be of any help to you:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
It lists all drivers currently loaded and their file name and location.
You can filter out Microsoft entries, sort by manufacturer, type etc.



 
0
Dave
8/7/2010 4:51:55 PM
<snipped>

<entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/browse_frm/thread/705c3fff77a876b5/
</entire conversation - archived indefinitely>


Chris K wrote:
> Actually meant save a driver that's already installed
>
> Nope - when Vista first installed it used generic driver (screen
> was crap) - i used "update driver" and after crawling the web for
> quite long time it downloaded the correct driver - albeit 2 years
> old
> As per your link - aint happening - i think the card is just too
> old and not supported beyond 2008 - but it works fine - would be
> nice to save it while I've got a driver *at all*

You didn't actually download/install the driver - Windows Vista found one in 
the Microsoft Updates database and installed it - probably a few versions 
behind the latest, so may not be as high-performing/as stable.  So no - you 
cannot save that - and you probably would be better off replacing it from 
the actual manufacturer's web page (for the video card anyway - maybe they 
keep their own hardware drivers up to date in Microsoft updates... Maybe...)

So, yeah - maybe _you_ cannot get the driver via the link I gave (yet - I am 
about to teach you how), but as for it "not happening"; here is the download 
links for the 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista drivers for your video card as 
you listed gotten to via the link I gave you earlier:

32-bit Windows Vista:
http://tinyurl.com/2uqtqts
(just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the 
full Catalyst software suite...)

.... and for the 64-bit Windows Vista:
http://tinyurl.com/28md5ox
(just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the 
full Catalyst software suite...)

Why the tinyurl versions of the links?  The longer URLs even included 
spaces - makes them more difficult to post, sometimes other newsreaders will 
cut them off, etc; but it makes some feel better, so...

32-bit Windows Vista Drivers for your ATI Radeon X1650 Series:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.10&lang=us&rev=10.2&ostype=Windows%20Vista%20-%2032-Bit%20Edition

64-bit Windows Vista Drivers for your ATI Radeon X1650 Series:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.10&lang=us&rev=10.2&ostype=Windows%20Vista%20-%2064-Bit%20Edition

See what I mean?  Now you can save them.

The 64-bit version is dated 2/23ish/2010 and the 32-bit version is dated the 
same.  Although they are end-of-life products - the cances of AMD (who 
aquired ATI) getting them off their web pages until Windows Vista is no 
longer supported by Microsoft is slim.  AMD does say they will not be 
producing Windows 7 drivers for them though.

I'll walk you through it so you might learn something from all this and use 
it to get other drivers in the future.

I gave you this link first: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/drivers.aspx

Under the "Graphics - Desktop" heading, the last in that list is "All 
Graphics - Desktop" and you click on that which takes you here:
http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.1&contentType=GPU%20Download%20Detail

There you select "Graphics Cards - Desktop", "Radeon X1650 series" and 
choose an operating system ("Windows Vista - 32-bit Edition" or "Windows 
Vista - 64-bit Edition" in your case, given what you have.) and click on 
"View Results".  That will reload the web page with the appropriate link 
(see above) and I think (hope) you can get to it from there.


You said you had the Radeon 1650 SE video card and M/Soft digital media 3000 
keyboard...

Let's round that off with the other driver you could not find so far for 
individual download...


Visiting here:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/

Gets me to here:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK

Where I select "Keyboard", "Digital Media Keyboard 3000", "Windows Vista 
(32-bit only)", "English (US)" and click on "Go".  It takes me to a link 
that has THIS link:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/9/9/199D34BD-F2E8-43DC-BE5B-10705FDD59C0/ITPx86_1033_7.10.344.0.exe
Which is "IntelliType Pro 7.1 32-bit for Windows Vista"...

If I change it up a bit and on the "Gets me to here" page I select 
"Keyboard", "Digital Media Keyboard 3000", "Windows Vista (64-bit only)", 
"English (US)" and click on "Go" - that takes me to a page with this link:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/A/C/1AC9001D-63C4-4333-9F98-F7C4055BB333/ITPx64_1033_7.10.344.0.exe
Which is the "IntelliType Pro 7.1 64-bit for Windows Vista"...


Come back - let everyone know if that helped.  As you can see from the first 
part of this response - the conversation will be here long after the last 
posting.  It might be good if someone came across it and got the help they 
needed from it - but they might trust it more if you came back at the end 
and said if it worked for you or not...

-- 
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
-- 
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html 


0
Shenan
8/7/2010 6:55:27 PM
 I found drivers for the ati 1650 for xp vista and windows 7 32 and 64bit in 
about 5 seconds

http://driverscollection.com/?H=Radeon%20X1650&By=ATI


"Chris K" <reply@the.board> wrote in message 
news:w_b7o.60253$bo3.32087@hurricane...
> Just re-installed Vista and it needed couple drivers - 1 for my Radeon 
> 1650
> SE video card and one for my M/Soft digital media 3000 keyboard
>
> I'm bit concerned about these drivers becoming obsolete (particularly the
> former) so I was wondering whether it's possible to save the drivers now 
> for
> future install - the driver details document all the driver files &
> locations but not sure how to re-install - just drop them in the right
> folder?
>
> It seems impossible to just download driver nowadays - it's either direct
> install only or part of 200,million gigabyte software install which i dont
> want on my machine 

0
Drew
8/7/2010 8:38:04 PM
<snipped>

<entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/browse_frm/thread/705c3fff77a876b5/
</entire conversation - archived indefinitely>

Drew wrote:
> I found drivers for the ati 1650 for xp vista and windows 7 32 and
> 64bit in about 5 seconds
>
> http://driverscollection.com/?H=Radeon%20X1650&By=ATI

And it is *still* wiser to get the drivers direct from the manufacturer when 
you can.  And in this conversation is the way to do this in excruciating 
detail.

-- 
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
-- 
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html 


0
Shenan
8/7/2010 11:02:03 PM

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:O1zvhImNLHA.892@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> <snipped>
>
> <entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/browse_frm/thread/705c3fff77a876b5/
> </entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
>

>but as for it "not happening"; here is the download links for the 32-bit 
>and 64-bit Windows Vista drivers for your video card as you listed gotten 
>to via the link I gave you earlier:
>
> 32-bit Windows Vista:
> http://tinyurl.com/2uqtqts
> (just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the 
> full Catalyst software suite...)
>

that's the bloatware i've just installed from previous post (cut down WDM 
Integrated Drive) & uninstalled

it's not a driver at all - it's some sort generic download manager  - uses 
acres space, but does not (did not) update my video driver - in fact it 
makes no mention of drivers at all - no executable file once installed - 
presumably just runs in the background consuming processing time until it 
feels like downloading some virus or uploading my bank details - i just want 
the driver (no software) - but as already said - 99% of drivers now come 
'wrapped up' in load software and this is no exception - well except that it 
didn't even have a driver in it at all whereas most the crap i download at 
least come with the driver i want


 

0
Chris
8/8/2010 2:56:28 PM
"Chris K" <reply@the.board> wrote in message 
news:EAz7o.39484$7Z3.39184@hurricane...
>
>
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:O1zvhImNLHA.892@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> <snipped>
>>
>> <entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/browse_frm/thread/705c3fff77a876b5/
>> </entire conversation - archived indefinitely>
>>
>
>>but as for it "not happening"; here is the download links for the 32-bit 
>>and 64-bit Windows Vista drivers for your video card as you listed gotten 
>>to via the link I gave you earlier:
>>
>> 32-bit Windows Vista:
>> http://tinyurl.com/2uqtqts
>> (just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the 
>> full Catalyst software suite...)
>>
>
> that's the bloatware i've just installed from previous post (cut down WDM 
> Integrated Drive) & uninstalled
>
> it's not a driver at all - it's some sort generic download manager  - uses 
> acres space, but does not (did not) update my video driver - in fact it 
> makes no mention of drivers at all - no executable file once installed - 
> presumably just runs in the background consuming processing time until it 
> feels like downloading some virus or uploading my bank details - i just 
> want the driver (no software) - but as already said - 99% of drivers now 
> come 'wrapped up' in load software and this is no exception - well except 
> that it didn't even have a driver in it at all whereas most the crap i 
> download at least come with the driver i want
>
>
>
>

Not meaning to step on anyone's toes but...
I put "Save Installed Drivers for Vista 64" into a google search (remember 
our friend?) and the 1st hit was

    BooZet Freeware | Double Driver - backup and restore installed drivers
        http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Isn't that what you're looking for? 

0
GSalisbury
8/8/2010 3:09:30 PM
Chris K wrote:
> that's the bloatware i've just installed from previous post (cut
> down WDM Integrated Drive) & uninstalled
>
> it's not a driver at all - it's some sort generic download manager - uses 
> acres space, but does not (did not) update my video driver -
> in fact it makes no mention of drivers at all - no executable file
> once installed - presumably just runs in the background consuming
> processing time until it feels like downloading some virus or
> uploading my bank details - i just want the driver (no software) -
> but as already said - 99% of drivers now come 'wrapped up' in load
> software and this is no exception - well except that it didn't even
> have a driver in it at all whereas most the crap i download at
> least come with the driver i want

So get the Catalyst driver and be selective about your installation instead 
of accepting the defaults.

Description:
Package Includes:
Display Driver
Catalyst Control Center

But that is the driver for your system.  If you don't like the way it gets 
packaged - take it up with ATI (whom I would not recommend for much) and/or 
download the driver and package and rip what you want out of it/custom 
install it.

-- 
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
-- 
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html 


0
Shenan
8/8/2010 3:22:30 PM

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:eqRCG2wNLHA.1796@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Chris K wrote:
>> that's the bloatware i've just installed from previous post (cut
>> down WDM Integrated Drive) & uninstalled
>>
>> it's not a driver at all - it's some sort generic download manager - uses 
>> acres space, but does not (did not) update my video driver -
>> in fact it makes no mention of drivers at all - no executable file
>> once installed - presumably just runs in the background consuming
>> processing time until it feels like downloading some virus or
>> uploading my bank details - i just want the driver (no software) -
>> but as already said - 99% of drivers now come 'wrapped up' in load
>> software and this is no exception - well except that it didn't even
>> have a driver in it at all whereas most the crap i download at
>> least come with the driver i want
>
> So get the Catalyst driver and be selective about your installation 
> instead of accepting the defaults.
>
> Description:
> Package Includes:
> Display Driver
> Catalyst Control Center
>
> But that is the driver for your system.  If you don't like the way it gets 
> packaged - take it up with ATI (whom I would not recommend for much) 
> and/or download the driver and package and rip what you want out of 
> it/custom install it.
>

Tried all install options, neither update my video driver - was hoping it 
would eventually update my video driver so i can uninstall it afterwards - 
not blaming you, just explaining that 'just' downloading a driver is no 
longer possible - every/all drivers are now accompanied by lot software they 
know you dont want - this was rather an exception in  that it didn't even 
include a driver

which brings me nicely back to my title/opening question - can you save 
hardware drivers that are already installed - short answer is yes they can 
be saved but can they be reinstalled - that i will continue to persue 

0
Chris
8/8/2010 3:37:08 PM

"GSalisbury" <invalid.salsburyg@comcast.net.invalid> wrote in message 
news:OJa50uwNLHA.5860@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>

>>
>
> Not meaning to step on anyone's toes but...
> I put "Save Installed Drivers for Vista 64" into a google search (remember 
> our friend?) and the 1st hit was
>
>    BooZet Freeware | Double Driver - backup and restore installed drivers
>        http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm
>
> Isn't that what you're looking for?

I've looked it over - I can already save driver components (they're listed 
in driver details) but I'm not sure if/how these can be re-installed - and 
booznet dont seem to mention this either

= dont think it will do anything i cant do without it
but thanks any how 

0
Chris
8/8/2010 3:39:35 PM
Chris K wrote:
> Tried all install options, neither update my video driver - was
> hoping it would eventually update my video driver so i can
> uninstall it afterwards - not blaming you, just explaining that
> 'just' downloading a driver is no longer possible - every/all
> drivers are now accompanied by lot software they know you dont want
> - this was rather an exception in  that it didn't even include a
> driver
> which brings me nicely back to my title/opening question - can you
> save hardware drivers that are already installed - short answer is
> yes they can be saved but can they be reinstalled - that i will
> continue to persue

Downloaded the Catalyst software+Drivers package...
Used 7-Zip to unpack it to a directory...
Found the drivers here: \$_OUTDIR\Packages\Drivers\Display (from that 
subdirectory of the directory where I extracted the full software drivers.)

-- 
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
-- 
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html 


0
Shenan
8/8/2010 4:29:38 PM

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:uSQCnbxNLHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Chris K wrote:
>> Tried all install options, neither update my video driver - was
>> hoping it would eventually update my video driver so i can
>> uninstall it afterwards - not blaming you, just explaining that
>> 'just' downloading a driver is no longer possible - every/all
>> drivers are now accompanied by lot software they know you dont want
>> - this was rather an exception in  that it didn't even include a
>> driver
>> which brings me nicely back to my title/opening question - can you
>> save hardware drivers that are already installed - short answer is
>> yes they can be saved but can they be reinstalled - that i will
>> continue to persue
>
> Downloaded the Catalyst software+Drivers package...
> Used 7-Zip to unpack it to a directory...
> Found the drivers here: \$_OUTDIR\Packages\Drivers\Display (from that 
> subdirectory of the directory where I extracted the full software 
> drivers.)
>

I installed full 'blown' package (took longer than MS Office professional - 
god knows what it's done) and this time it did update my driver - then I 
uninstalled the software but it un-installed the driver too

Downloaded 7-Zip - extracted the driver only - installed it half way where 
upon it insists on installing all the trojan software - scrapped the idea

The old driver will last until my next OS install and I'll buy new graphics 
card - one that is properly supported - praying that nobody will ever buy 
ATI card - ever!

Cheers anyhow 

0
Chris
8/8/2010 6:53:14 PM
"Chris K" <reply@the.board> wrote in message 
news:C2D7o.56994$lF5.22650@hurricane...
>
>
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:uSQCnbxNLHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Chris K wrote:
>>> Tried all install options, neither update my video driver - was
>>> hoping it would eventually update my video driver so i can
>>> uninstall it afterwards - not blaming you, just explaining that
>>> 'just' downloading a driver is no longer possible - every/all
>>> drivers are now accompanied by lot software they know you dont want
>>> - this was rather an exception in  that it didn't even include a
>>> driver
>>> which brings me nicely back to my title/opening question - can you
>>> save hardware drivers that are already installed - short answer is
>>> yes they can be saved but can they be reinstalled - that i will
>>> continue to persue
>>
>> Downloaded the Catalyst software+Drivers package...
>> Used 7-Zip to unpack it to a directory...
>> Found the drivers here: \$_OUTDIR\Packages\Drivers\Display (from that 
>> subdirectory of the directory where I extracted the full software 
>> drivers.)
>>
>
> I installed full 'blown' package (took longer than MS Office 
> professional - god knows what it's done) and this time it did update my 
> driver - then I uninstalled the software but it un-installed the driver 
> too
>
> Downloaded 7-Zip - extracted the driver only - installed it half way where 
> upon it insists on installing all the trojan software - scrapped the idea
>
> The old driver will last until my next OS install and I'll buy new 
> graphics card - one that is properly supported - praying that nobody will 
> ever buy ATI card - ever!
>
> Cheers anyhow

Either you need a real education on drivers and computers or you're a total 
a$$hole.  I'm betting the latter.

-- 

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
 

0
Michael
8/8/2010 9:56:41 PM
"Chris K" <reply@the.board> wrote in message 
news:2dA7o.61643$806.22706@hurricane...

>>
[snip]
>>
>>    BooZet Freeware | Double Driver - backup and restore installed drivers
>>        http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm
>>
>> Isn't that what you're looking for?
>
> I've looked it over - I can already save driver components (they're listed 
> in driver details) but I'm not sure if/how these can be re-installed - and 
> booznet dont seem to mention this either
>
> = dont think it will do anything i cant do without it
> but thanks any how

From your original post:
    "...so I was wondering whether it's possible to save the drivers now for 
future install..."
From Double Driver:
    "Backup drivers from current Windows"
    "Restore drivers from previous backup"
Isn't that what you originally asked for?
No DD won't seek out a new driver for you but once you have what you want it 
can save it/them for later use.
I've used a similar product on XP but never looked for a Vista product until 
your post.
I downloaded it and ran the dd.exe from the zip file.
I selected All and the default structured output and got 500+ "drivers" in 
60+ meg.
Obviously I'd want to get that on an external backup as well.
I'm satisfied it would restore one if I chose/needed to.
Something to consider.
Geo. 

0
GSalisbury
8/9/2010 1:05:38 PM
that's very useful


-- 
qweabab1
Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

0
qweabab1
8/10/2010 8:07:14 AM
"qweabab1" <qweabab1.4fgzc6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message 
news:qweabab1.4fgzc6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> that's very useful
>
>
> -- 
> qweabab1
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com

WHAT is very useful???  You quoted nothing from the post you're replying to.
Now I see.  This is a newsgroup and your posting from a Vistadickhead Forum.
Fu@kin; moron!!!


-- 

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
 

0
Michael
8/10/2010 11:45:19 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Persisting kernel driver parameters
Hi, Can anyone tell me what is the method of persisting data for kernel parameters? Is it the registry? Is it based on normal files? Thx, Nuno Use the registry, unless you are talkig very big data files, putting it in the registry under the driver's services key beneath a Parameters key is the default approach. -- Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD) Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr "sinosoidal" <sinosoidal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A45EB006-372...

Handling of savings accounts and 401k accounts in the budget
I noticed that Money treats money that I contribute to a 401k account or transfer to a savings account as an expense. Basically, the more I contribute, the worse my budget looks. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Right now, I exclude transfers to my savings account from the budget and it solves the problem, however, I shouldn't have to manually do this each time. For 401k contributions, I cannot find a way to do this. Why does it show up as "an expense" (what Category???) instead of something like Transfer Out of Budget Accounts? The 401k cash account sh...

FileNotFound returned by Bitmap::Save() when saving to stream
I have a little chunk of code which is supposed to take a bitmap image and save its PNG encoding into a block of memory. The problem is, I keep getting a FileNotFound error back from Save(). If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Here's the code (more or less) in question; there really shouldn't be much to it, I would have thought: /* Allocate an IStream object to write the data into a global memory block. We indicate that the handle to the underlying data will be freed when the stream object is released. */ VERIFY(S_OK == ::CreateStreamOnHGlobal(nil, True, static_c...

what encoding does system.xml.xmldocument.save(string path) use to save the xml document if there is no <?xml... in the front of the xml document?
what encoding does system.xml.xmldocument.save(string path) use to save the xml document if there is no <?xml... in the front of the xml document? Daniel wrote: > what encoding does system.xml.xmldocument.save(string path) use to save the > xml document if there is no <?xml... in the front of the xml document? UTF-8 is the default encoding. -- Oleg Tkachenko [XML MVP, MCPD] http://blog.tkachenko.com | http://www.XmlLab.Net | http://www.XLinq.Net utf8 i suppose would be default Vinu Baby "Daniel" <softwareengineer98037@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e8#...

Unable to save password in Outlook 2003
I cannot seem to save my "network password" for Outlook 2003. I tried everything I can think of. I tried editing the registry. I use XP. I try going into Control Panel, go to mail and go thru the process there and....nothing worked there. I uninstalled Office the reinstalled it.....nothing! I even went as far as unistalling my internet software, still...nothing! Someone told me that XP will not save passwords. My Outlook express works fine. Someone HELP! I also had this issue in Outlook 2003, but also in indows Live Messenger and Internet Explorer 7. I spend hour...

Save and save as
Hi, I am looking for some help with a macro, I need to disable anyone from saving a file or save as and also disable the prompt if the close button is pressed you get an option to save the file then, I need to disable all of these, also have a pop up box to warn that save as been disables when a user tries to save the file fro save and save as. Can anyone help me with this. I am using word 2003 Regards Mark Once you give someone access to a document, you have ceded all control over it. You can however stop them from overwriting the original file by making the doc...

Saving Images
When I right click to save an image in an email, it will only save as a .bmp. I need to use it as a .jpeg or a .gif. How can I fix this? In news:AB8040CE-5975-4A14-87BD-BE3B97E33682@microsoft.com, Angi <Angi@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > When I right click to save an image in an email, it will only save as > a .bmp. I need to use it as a .jpeg or a .gif. How can I fix this? Clear your internet explorer temp file cache.....go to control panel, internet options, and choose 'delete files' "Angi" <Angi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Quad UART chip
Anyone aware of references in Win CE 5/Win CE 6 samples for driver development for Quad UART chip ?. Any tips will help. Thanks, GS-ICN On 3/1/2010 3:56 AM, GS wrote: > Anyone aware of references in Win CE 5/Win CE 6 samples for driver > development for Quad UART chip ?. Any tips will help. If your quad-UART chip implements four full UARTs that are 16550 compatible, each with its own address and interrupt line you can simply take the standard 16550 driver and configure it for the correct address range and interrupts (you may need to handle INTR to SYSINTR translat...

"Unattainable" savings goals
I've learned to mostly ignore it, but it drives me batty. I have a particular loan with a goal to pay it off by 7/4/04. The loan balance is 14,000. I have marked a savings account to be "used for budgeted savings goals." I deposit $1300 per month into the account which has a balance currently of $13000. Money 2K4 says that I cannot reach my savings goal. What can I do to help fix this? Any feedback would be appreciated! ...

Saving default tabs
I can't seem to get a change in the default tab setting to save. When I reopen publisher the tab setting reverts to .5 which was original default. I'm I the only person who is having this problem? I'm using the 2003 verson but had the same problem with 2000. Why not take the default page, set the tabs you want and save it as a template with a file name of, "My Very Special Tabs Settings for Future Files.pub" (jerking your chain a bit<G>) Then when you want to create what you want, use your created template file and when your pub file is what you want, do a Sa...

Save to unProtect a Document?
Our company has word documents that we use as templates on a fileserver. How could I protect the documents so that when they open them, they dont make changes to the server version, but save their OWN version and do what they want? First of all, make use of true *template* files (with the *.dot or *.dotx extension). Also, assign the template files the read-ony attribute. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB9D352D-823F-4126-8A00-2D90516A3FA1@microsoft.com... > Our company has word docum...

Exchange 2007 And Daylight Savings Time Update
Is there a patch I need for Day light savings time and Exchange 2007? Thanks! No CDO patch required (no equivalent of KB 926666). However, the Windows Server 2003 OS will required KB 931836 time zone update and Calendar-items in 2007-hosted mailboxes created using old DST 2006 rules will need to be rebased. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "D303M" <D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A3132ABD-4614-402F-9654-61EA72501112@microsoft.com... > I...

when I save an email, where does it save to?
Hi all, I have several emails that I wanted to reply, and I did click "reply" and then wrote something, but I did not have time to finish... then I click on "save", and in the evening, I closed the outlook because I slept... now I reopen the outlook in the morning, and I want to find my saved unfinished replies that I was writing... But where to find them? I have a "draft" folder, but those saved emails do not seem to be in this folder... wherelse could they go? ---------------------------------------------- This is annoying... is there a way to automat...

Daylight Savings Time #2
In regards to DST or better yet XDST, in my windows 2003 domain environment I have the servers and workstations syncing their clock with one of my DCs. The statement has been presented here that since this is the case we should not have to worry about clocks being off by one hour. I do not get the warm and fuzzy with this statement. I feel that if it were that easy it would have been documented as a solution by now. Maybe they are right and I am wrong. Could you give me an explanation why so or why not? Thanks - Any clock synching is done based on UMT/GMT and the locale/timezone o...

Save csv format to dbf format
I have a .csv file with 13 columns of data opened in excel. I make a few changes to a field and then want to save to .dbf format. After saving as .dbf when I open the file only column 1 data is present. Any insights into where the rest of the data goes? Why does the data disappear? Thanks, Mike -- mdelasaux ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mdelasaux's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28889 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=486365 Try using Notepad and open your .dbf...

Automatic save of all messages from a known contact
Hi, I'd like to store automatically all messages from a known CRM Contact. If for example my customers email-address is somebody@somhow.com, I'd like to store automatically all his emails via the Exchange<->CRM Connector regardless to who they are sent to. Is that possible? regards Juergen Tolksdorf Hi Juergen. My company has a product called Effective Email that does exactly what you are asking for. There is a sync event that gets installed on the users inbox. When emails come in, it checks the senders address against the CRM database, and if a match exists, it creates a...

How to get saved old saved work that was saved over?
I typed up some History notes and saved it. I wanted to use the same format from those History notes for some new History notes and I saved over on my old work. How can i retrive my old saved work? My work was in Word not Excel But I could not find a place to ask a question in the Word help section. If you saved over the original file, it is gone forever. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Maral" <Maral@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0ADFEF9-6A46-4589-8923-4BFC07D9C61F@microsoft.com......

auto save email address's
In outlook 2007, how do I set it to auto save email address's that I send out? No full versions of Outlook ever had the ability to add recipients automatically to your Contacts Folder. Only the long abandoned IMO mode of Outlook 98/2000 did that. To automatically add the email address of people you respond to to your Contacts Folder requires code: http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/autoaddrecip.htm http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Johnfli" <john@ivhs.us> wrote in message news:%23t7Bb82DIHA.1164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... &g...

control recording saving
I designing a form the feilds are bound. the form will be used by other workers i want the form to update records using a update button but if the user enters data and then decides that they don't want to update the information. hqw can i prevent the update of the information entered on the form when the user closes the form using the close button "904allen" <904allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > I designing a form the feilds are bound. the form will > be used by other workers i want the form to update > records using a update button but if the user ...

Check for valid file name before saving
My form copies a file from one locatin, prompts the user to create a new name for the file, then saves the file to another location. is there an easy way to ensure the user has entered a valid file name (e.g. did not use '/' or "^" or anything like that) so the save does not fail? OR, would it be easier to some how set up error handling so that if the save fails for that reason, i can prompt the user to try again. How would i do either of these things? Thanks, You must use error handling for this kind of operation, as there are just too many things that could go wrong....

Transfer from Checking into Savings account...
OK all, Now I'm really confused. I'm using M05 Deluxe and I set up an ING Direct savings account. I transfered $20.00 into the ING account from checking but when I look at the ING savings account register, it shows a poitive Decrease of 20.00 and a balance of (20.00). As if I owe 20.00 to ING. However, when I click on the Home tab, it shows that ING has a positive amount of $20.00. What gives? Am I doing something wrong or is this how it's supposed to be? Thanks, Steve Essential Register and/or downloaded transaction data? What type of Money Account is the ING Savings ...

Save All...
Excel 2002 SP3 Win XP Pro SP2 Hi, Is there a way to do a Save All (all opened files) in a similar fashion as clicking Shift|File|Close All ? Failing that, any macros out there I could use? Thanks a million! Here is one I use to save and close all opened files including the file housing the macro and leaving excel. Sub CLOSE_ALL() Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.DisplayAlerts = False For Each w In Application.Workbooks If w.Name <> ThisWorkbook.Name Then w.Save w.Close ' w.Close SaveChanges:=True 'MsgBox w.Name End If Next w ThisWorkbook.Save Applicati...

daylight savings #2
It may be daylight savings. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891338 ...

Saving spell-check results in Excel
Each month I have to check spelling in Excel (~7000 items). They contain the same spelling errors. Is there a way of saving the spell check so that I don't have to start from scratch each time? Are you saying that you have 7000 misspelled words that need to be corrected? Or are you saying that you have 7000 words that excel flags as misspelled? If the words are flagged in error (for your jargon), then couldn't you just add those words to your custom dictionary? Excel (and other office applications) will include your custom dictionary and not flag them anymore. If the words are act...

cannot save
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C95C58.03E0EE80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable All of a sudden I can no longer save Excel 2007 files. It crashes and = tells me that I need to download an update. When I try to update I get = error number:0x8DDD0002. This is new. Help? --=20 Rick Wolfe Malaspina Coach Lines ------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C95C58.03E0EE80 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-...