restore fails

actually, restore does not even start!!!
Let me see if I have this correct...
I am running Vista Home Premium.
I have been using "Microsoft Backup and Restore"
to backup my system on a regular basis.
Start>Control Panel>Backup and Restore
Now today, I wanted to restore the last full backup.
I keep selecting files and folders to restore, looking
for the button that says "GO".

Do I have this correct?
I can backup but I cannot use that backup?
I cannot restore?
Surely I misunderstand.
Charles
0
charles

There should be a way to restore the address book in outlook
The help file shows how to backup the address book to a .pst file but is nothing about RESTORE in the help fiile. Maybe it's called something else??? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid...

System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point
My system is windows XP had a new hard drive installed 2008 with more space on it. Don't know what happened to the recovery CD for it, don't have it now, I think that's probably what I would need to repair it, any other way to fix it. Need help any one thank you. System Restore does not go any further then Select a Restore Point, the (next) button does not function, because of a restoration to ''Software Distribution Service 3.0'' restore point was incomplete due to an improper shutdown. A system restore was necessary, I thought because I coul...

Exchange 2K restore from backup
Hi there We have a server running sbs2K. A couple of days ago a public folder was deleted from outlook. No one noticed for until today. We run complete backups of exchange using ntbackup. So I completed a current full backup. When I tried a restore from a 2 day old backup for the public information store the restored database failed to mount. It stated that the log files were inconsistant I then tried a full restore of both the public store and the mailbox store with the log files as well. This also failed in the same way. I have ended up restoring the current database which ran fine Being ...

Restoring a Database
I created a back-up of my RMS database using Store Operations manager. When I go to restore the databse on a different computer (at a different location), I get an "Unable to Restore Error 5- Access is Denied." I have the sa password the same on both machines. Any suggestins? ...

fail to do Backup
hi, I have my exchange server not completing the NTbackup. I am suspecting two resons causing that problem: 1- hardware failure with one hardisk out of 4 hardisks (RAID5). 2- an incedent occured to one user that he cannot recieve e-mails due to corruption in the mailbox.. in that case I have exported all the existing e-mails, deleted the mailbox and then created it again. I am recieving errors 747 and 217, and the backup is not working what to do in this case. please help -- Zuhair Attya IT Administrator Bahrain On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 01:55:02 -0800, Zuhair Attya <ZuhairAttya@discussion...

Delete Dups Query Failing
I have a form set up for data entry with a subform linking child records in a different table. In the case where a user closes the form halfway through entering child records then reopens it to finish adding the child records, I don't want to keep the duplicate master record they create when they reenter the information in the controls bound to the master table. So I made a simple find duplicates query, added a "MaxofID" field, and joined it to a delete query that should delete the second instance of the duplicate record. I was going to run this query whenever the form...

Outlook fails to remember password
I currently run Windows XP, with Microsoft Office 2000. Up until a couple of months ago, Outlook would remember my password when checking for new messages. Now if I clck remember password, it doesn't. Through Control Panel, e-mail properties, I have remember password checked, but it won't etain my password. I have also run Outlook's Detect and Repair...still no help. What do you suggest next? Thanks in advance I found the solution on the Microsoft support website. You have to search the Microsoft Knowledge Base. It is article number 235864. If you do not know where...

Public Folders Restore
Hi everyone We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the backup. We have 5 Exchange servers accross different sites, now, if we restore the public folder database does that mean that all old itens will come up and replicated to all other exchange with replicas of these public folders? Is there a way that we restore and select only certain itens to restoed after a given date or something like that? Thanks "GIG" <gig@gig.com> wrote: >We had a Public folder database crash and we need to restore it from the >backup. >We have 5 Exchang...

System Restore unable to restore
My Win XP system is working fine, however whenever I try to do a System Restore it fails and I don't know why. In the distant past I have successfully run System Restore and returned the machine to an earlier time, so I am reasonably confident with its operation. When System Restore is opened the calender box shows each possible restore point date in bold. Selecting one of these, the dialogue box reports a valid system check point for that day. Proceeding with a selected date the system shuts down, restarts, fully loads then announces the system cannot be restored to the s...

Back up and restore of Out look express.
Hi all, I backed up my "document and settings" and would like to get my address book restored in Outlook Express. Do you know what extension the Address book is? Can I import it? Thanks Brent Hauver www.sagehealthstore.com Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Po...

Administration of Exchange 2000 after 2003 install on the domain is failing!
Setup: Windows 2003 running Exchange 2003 winse-exch1.com PDC (Mixed Mode) Windows 2000 running Exchange 2000 winse-exch1.com Replication DC. The Problem: Ms Exchange Management no longer views the Exchange 2000 server, but all mail seems to still be going to it. I am trying to migrate a mailbox off of the Exchange 2000 setup onto my 2003 setup, and I can no longer acccess the Exchange 2000 box through Exchange system manager! The strange thing is that the Exchange 2000 setup still seems to working for email, so "user1" email is still coming in through outlook, but I can't s...

Restore Exchange 2000 default permissions
is it possible to restore default permissions for the organisation in exchange 2000. At present anyone can open anyone else's mailbox!! Which i can't believe is the default. If there is no way to reset them can someone tell me what the permissions need to be so only the user and the administrators can access the mailboxes. My CEO is less than impressed that anyone can read his mail!! Cheers Minimum Permissions Required for Mailbox Stores and Public Folder Stores http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/StrPermwE2k3/2934133f-e3af-46a5-9369-1ece5843ff58.mspx?mfr...

How do I restore a file?
I accidentally saved a new file with the same name as an existing one, and clicked 'override', forgetting they were in the same location. How do I restore the original file that I accidentally overrode? In another post someone mentioned that I have to us my backup software...how do I do that? The file in question is not saved on my computer, it is saved on my Western Digital external hard drive. Thank you! The original is gone. If you don't have a backup of the original then it is gone permanently. Only you would know what backup procedures you keep to maintain ...

.NET Security updates fail
Opening a new thread as suggested by PA Bear. OS: Windows XP Pro SP3 running IE8 but Chrome for anything useful. Part on an office network with an SBS2003 domain server. The above updates won't install and fail with error 0x80070643. I have read KB976982 and followed its procedure to remove all .NET versions and replace them in the order 3.5SP1, 1.1, 1.1SP1 followed by Windows update. This has not resolved the problem and the updates sit in my systray, waiting.. I am also running AVG Free and take the view that any AV is better than none. Is there any suggestion that A...

Restoring a value
In the code below, I've attempted to check a value entered by the user and restore the original value if what was entered exceeds the maximum for the current application. So far, I've been unsuccessful in restoring what was saved at open time. Saving of the restored value (Me.ImageRatio = Ratio) using Me.Requery after the assignment statement gives a runtime error related to macro or function validation rule for the field. I have not set a validation rule in the property sheet for the control. What am I missing here? Bill ======(Application)==================== Option Compare Datab...

dsquery failed:The logon attempt failed
Hello, I'm running Windows 2008 Server domain functional level 2008. When I run the dsquery command "dsquery user -u example@domain.com" I get the error message "dsquery failed:The logon attempt failed". Other dsquery commands work fine including "dsquery user -name Example*" and "dsquery user ou=example,dc=domain,dc=com". Any ideas on why I would get the 'dsquery failed:The logon attempt failed' message and how I can fix it? Thank you. -- David dach3 wrote: > Hello, I'm running Windows 2008 Server domain functional ...

Restore problem
I needed to recover C and D drives from two week old Drive Image files from the secondary HD ... had back ups to many programs on drives E&F ... operating system on C, program files on D: e.g. D:\Program Files\Microsoft Money. Everyone recovered and updated fine except MS Money 2003. Win2000 Pro system. After restoring the file from E:\backup\Money .. the files and program looks great ... but will no longer allow me to enter a transaction.... comes back, "This transaction can not be entered." Tried to create a new file (new name) and restore to it ...now system says it can not...

stand-by server restore
I am currently installing Exchange 2003 to two identical member servers. In addition I have another identical server for recovery purposes. I'm using BackupExec 9 to backup Exchange databases. I'm familiar with the stand-by recovery server procedures, and have this server configured (identical OS/patches etc) to perform this role should it be required. However, is it possible to install Exchange 2003 on this server in an identical config to the other two servers (store name, path, virtual server config etc all identical) but with empty db stores? Then, should one of the ...

Event ID 8213 / error 0x80090005 after exchange restore
Did a "setup /disasterrecovery" to restore databases, this has been in the event logs since. The restore did not create a MSExchangeFBPublish key in the registry (which was there on the previous install). I re-created the key, however no dice - still get "System Attendant Service failed to create session for virtual machine MAILSERVER2. The error number is 0x80090005" in the application log every 10-20 minutes. Looked around on newgroups - appears others have had this problem. Anyone know a fix? Answered my own question - knowledgebase article on using ADSIedi...

Updates download but fail to install repeatedly
It seems there are a lot of people who are having problems with updates downloading but not installing. I now have this problem on two different computers in my house on one, the list is quite long now: Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB974771) Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB972580) Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB978551) Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB973443) Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB973475) Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB974554) Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB9...

Restore button minimizes instead of restores!
For some reason whenever my user hits the restore button in excel, the application is minimized to the task bar instead of just becoming smaller on the screen. How can I reset the function for restore so that it doesn't minimize it? Thanks, Leslie Lesile, I had this happen once on a computer, don't know why, in my case the window looked like it was minimized to the task bar, but it was actually going off screen, try this after you hit the restore button, press (shift + alt + spacebar), then press m. now you can try to move the window with the arrow keys and see if you can find it...

How do i restore my Menu Bar???
I have no idea how this end-user did this (because it should be impossible to do), but I have a user that no longer has a Menu Bar in Outlook 2000 (It appears in Word, Excel, etc - just not Outlook). I have uninstalled Outlook, rebooted, and re-installed Outlook. I have uninstalled Office 2000, rebooted, and installed Office 2000 with all available options. Whatever I do, whenever Outlook opens up, it no longer has the Menu Bar (File...Edit...View etc). Using the F1 help in Outlook tells me to click View...Toolbars, but this is my problem -- I don't have a View!!!! This seems like a...

Excel 97 Fails to Open File
I have an apparently corrupted Excel 97 file. When I try to open it in Excel 97, it appears to load but then immediately closes the entire app. In Excel XP, it appears to load and then disappears, leaving the application open. I've searched the kb but failed to find any tips on how I might recover. tia Jim Beachy You may want to try to open the workbook with excel in safe mode to make sure it isn't a "helpful" macro. close excel windows start button|Run excel /safe file|open your workbook. Anything good happen? If no... You might be able to recover more by usin...

Restoring an image after repartitioning the image restore drive?
I'm a little confused about this: I save several (different-dated) system images on my backup drive, with a pretty large partition reserved just for storing those system drive (C: ) images (the rest of the space on that drive is still unallocated). Now suppose I increase the size of the partition on the backup drive (which stores those images) to make more room for more of them, and subsequently save a few more backup images. Ok, no problem so far. But now if decide to restore a much earlier image (where the partition size on the backup drive was previously allocated as...

Money 2001 Cannot Restore Data
When my computer died I extracted all data from Money 2001 onto an external drive. When I purchased a new computer with Vista I reinstalled Money 2001 with the original CD. Now I am unable to restore the data. Money keeps asking for a password but will not recognize the password I know is the correct one. A possible problem could be that an automatic update was installed with a newer version and that version is what the backup data is based on. I know that you cannot go from a higher version to a lower version but can restore a lower version to a higher version. So I thought I'...