Move a document from an offline printer queue to an online queue?

Running under Vista Home Premium SP2.

I have three printers installed: One online that I want to use, one offline
that I use only occasionally, and one at my dad's house that I use when I
use my PC on his network.  The online printer is the default, of course.

I'm not sure how I did it, but I have a few documents that went to the wrong
printer queues.  Assume for the sake of argument that I can't reprint those
documents.  Is there a way I can transfer them from the wrong queues to the
online printer?

I'm smart enough not to consciously select a different printer when I do a
print job.  Is the default status of the printer 100% dependable, or is
there something else sneaking around Windows that can defeat this.?

0
BudV

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:07:29 -0500, BudV wrote:

> Running under Vista Home Premium SP2.
>
> I have three printers installed: One online that I want to use, one offline
> that I use only occasionally, and one at my dad's house that I use when I
> use my PC on his network.  The online printer is the default, of course.
>
> I'm not sure how I did it, but I have a few documents that went to the wrong
> printer queues.  Assume for the sake of argument that I can't reprint those
> documents.  Is there a way I can transfer them from the wrong queues to the
> online printer?
>
> I'm smart enough not to consciously select a different printer when I do a
> print job.  Is the default status of the printer 100% dependable, or is
> there something else sneaking around Windows that can defeat this.?

Many applications that I use seem to remember the last device I printed
to in the app, and ignore the system default.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
0
Gene
8/31/2010 10:58:33 PM
Is this what you're saying?  Given my default printer D and a special
printer S.  On Monday I print all my stuff comfortably to D.  On Tuesday I
send a document from Word to S.  Then more D printing.   On Wednesday I
print Tuesday's document from Word again and it goes to S?  If so, was it
Word that remembered the printer, or might there be something stored with
the document that remembered? (The template?)  If the document was
different, would it have gone to D?  And just to add to the mix, if I
printed several documents to D under Word, and then printed Tuesday's
document, would it go to S?   I highly doubt that Word itself will do any
remembering; but associating a document with a printer through its template
sounds possible.

That whole paragraph is much messier than what you originally said:
> Many applications that I use seem to remember the last device I printed
> to in the app, and ignore the system default.

I know I've seen that happen.  As long as I stay in the same app, it will
continue to honor the last printer specification I make.  If I close and
reopen the app, it goes back to the default -- I think.

BE THAT AS IT MAY, I know I could get those wrong-queue documents printed by
1) turning on the local offline printer (in a different part of the
building), and 2) taking my PC to my dad's house and using his network.  But
is there a way to transfer the documents to the online printer queue, or
print to the online printer from the offline queue?

On 8/31/10 5:58 PM, in article 10a6pv7eh4agx$.8n51y5ieatu4$.dlg@40tude.net,
"Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:07:29 -0500, BudV wrote:
>
>> Running under Vista Home Premium SP2.
>>
>> I have three printers installed: One online that I want to use, one offline
>> that I use only occasionally, and one at my dad's house that I use when I
>> use my PC on his network.  The online printer is the default, of course.
>>
>> I'm not sure how I did it, but I have a few documents that went to the wrong
>> printer queues.  Assume for the sake of argument that I can't reprint those
>> documents.  Is there a way I can transfer them from the wrong queues to the
>> online printer?
>>
>> I'm smart enough not to consciously select a different printer when I do a
>> print job.  Is the default status of the printer 100% dependable, or is
>> there something else sneaking around Windows that can defeat this.?
>
> Many applications that I use seem to remember the last device I printed
> to in the app, and ignore the system default.

0
Bud
9/1/2010 4:14:35 AM
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 23:14:35 -0500, Bud Vitoff wrote:

> Is this what you're saying?  Given my default printer D and a special
> printer S.  On Monday I print all my stuff comfortably to D.  On Tuesday I
> send a document from Word to S.  Then more D printing.   On Wednesday I
> print Tuesday's document from Word again and it goes to S?  If so, was it
> Word that remembered the printer, or might there be something stored with
> the document that remembered? (The template?)  If the document was
> different, would it have gone to D?  And just to add to the mix, if I
> printed several documents to D under Word, and then printed Tuesday's
> document, would it go to S?   I highly doubt that Word itself will do any
> remembering; but associating a document with a printer through its template
> sounds possible.

I can't even read that whole paragraph :-)

What I'm saying is that if the system default is D, and if you print a
document from Word to S, Word will default to S when you next run it,
regardless of the system-wide setting of D. Word, not the document, is
what remembers this.

Word is not the only program that does that.

> That whole paragraph is much messier than what you originally said:
>> Many applications that I use seem to remember the last device I printed
>> to in the app, and ignore the system default.
>
> I know I've seen that happen.  As long as I stay in the same app, it will
> continue to honor the last printer specification I make.  If I close and
> reopen the app, it goes back to the default -- I think.

Some apps forget, but I think most apps don't forget, when you quit and
restart. That's an impression, not knowledge.

> BE THAT AS IT MAY, I know I could get those wrong-queue documents printed by
> 1) turning on the local offline printer (in a different part of the
> building), and 2) taking my PC to my dad's house and using his network.  But
> is there a way to transfer the documents to the online printer queue, or
> print to the online printer from the offline queue?

I doubt it, but ask someone else, in case I'm wrong.

> On 8/31/10 5:58 PM, in article 10a6pv7eh4agx$.8n51y5ieatu4$.dlg@40tude.net,
> "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:07:29 -0500, BudV wrote:
>>
>>> Running under Vista Home Premium SP2.
>>>
>>> I have three printers installed: One online that I want to use, one offline
>>> that I use only occasionally, and one at my dad's house that I use when I
>>> use my PC on his network.  The online printer is the default, of course.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how I did it, but I have a few documents that went to the wrong
>>> printer queues.  Assume for the sake of argument that I can't reprint those
>>> documents.  Is there a way I can transfer them from the wrong queues to the
>>> online printer?
>>>
>>> I'm smart enough not to consciously select a different printer when I do a
>>> print job.  Is the default status of the printer 100% dependable, or is
>>> there something else sneaking around Windows that can defeat this.?
>>
>> Many applications that I use seem to remember the last device I printed
>> to in the app, and ignore the system default.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
0
Gene
9/1/2010 10:17:06 PM
BudV;1711384 Wrote:
> Running under Vista Home Premium SP2.
>
> I have three printers installed: One online that I want to use, one
> offline
> that I use only occasionally, and one at my dad's house that I use when
> use my PC on his network.  The online printer is the default, of
> course.
>
> I'm not sure how I did it, but I have a few documents that went to the
> wrong
> printer queues.  Assume for the sake of argument that I can't reprint
> those
> documents.  Is there a way I can transfer them from the wrong queues to
> the
> online printer?
>
> I'm smart enough not to consciously select a different printer when I
> do a
> print job.  Is the default status of the printer 100% dependable, or
> is
> there something else sneaking around Windows that can defeat this.?

The stuff you have provided is really informative.Thanks for the great
stuff...

--
marcelirvin

'Digital printing' (http://www.outsource.net.au/index.html)
'card printing' (http://www.outsource.net.au/index.html)

marcelirvin
9/4/2010 2:39:03 AM
> "The stuff you have provided is really informative.Thanks for the great
> stuff.."

Forgive me if I'm being too sensitive, but I infer that you're being
sarcastic.  Is there a problem here?

"marcelirvin" <marcelirvin.4gquod@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:marcelirvin.4gquod@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> BudV;1711384 Wrote:
>> Running under Vista Home Premium SP2.
>>
>> I have three printers installed: One online that I want to use, one
>> offline
>> that I use only occasionally, and one at my dad's house that I use when
>> use my PC on his network.  The online printer is the default, of
>> course.
>>
>> I'm not sure how I did it, but I have a few documents that went to the
>> wrong
>> printer queues.  Assume for the sake of argument that I can't reprint
>> those
>> documents.  Is there a way I can transfer them from the wrong queues to
>> the
>> online printer?
>>
>> I'm smart enough not to consciously select a different printer when I
>> do a
>> print job.  Is the default status of the printer 100% dependable, or
>> is
>> there something else sneaking around Windows that can defeat this.?
>

> The stuff you have provided is really informative.Thanks for the great
> stuff...
>

> --
> marcelirvin
>
> 'Digital printing' (http://www.outsource.net.au/index.html)
> 'card printing' (http://www.outsource.net.au/index.html)

BudV

Moving license to a new computer

http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp is now in offline mode
Hi; I installed Outlook 2003 about a month ago before I went on vacation. Now when I returned from vacation, I have problems. When I try to check my Hotmail account, it hangs up for a minute or two and then comes up with a message that says "http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp is now in offline mode" What does this mean? I can check my mail at the hotmail site. It has been doing this for about a week. How can I fix it? Thanks Pat Did you activate it before going on vacation? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor,...

Safe to Move?

New Tabbed Documents feature
I have loaded Office Prof 2007 Plus and am using Access. there is a new feature, "Tabbed Documents". I do not see them, when I open several Tables, Queries, etc, they are just one on top of another. You can Cascade them, but there are NO tabs along the top. I have called MS and even tried the website. Could I be missing an update?, but I would have though the package should have this feature already installed. Otherwise the package is working fine. Any help would be appreciated. The tabbed documents applies to forms only. You can have overlapping windows like the...

Moving Exchange 2000

mail moved from netscape to outlook?

Move mailbox rights in Exchange 5.5 #2

Moving Pages between two publications

Does Excel data merge with .mrg documents?
I run a database for my company, and always have a difficult (read - lots of hand typing) time getting my .mrg data doc to merge with Excel. Most times Exel will have all the data in one cell (making it impossible to sort), or not come through at all. Is it just me, or does Excel not work well with this kind of document. ...

Phantom Printer
I have a very simple OnClick event on a Cmd button that opens a form using DoCmd.OpenForm ......... When I try the same thing with DoCmd.OpenReport the report does not open but rather is sends the report to a printer automatically. I have no reference to a printer in my entire project. Any thoughts?? "Opening" a report is roughly analogous to printing it (reports ARE intended to be printed, right?). If you want to open the report in Print Preview mode, take a look at Access HELP for the correct syntax for the DoCmd.OpenReport command. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Acc...

Moving Folder error

Working Offline
I'm using Outlook 2003 to manage some MSN Hotmail accounts through the HTTP interface. Many times I don't have access to the internet and need to Work Offline, but that restricts me since I can't delete messages and do some other stuff unless I run Outlook 2003 Online. Using Outlook Express is no problem. Outlook Express lets me sync my email with Hotmail, then I work Offline, reading and deleting messages. Afterwards, I just sync again and Outlook Express updates with the Hotmail server. Unfortunatly I can't work this way with Outlook 2003 becuase when I work Off...

Print Document as .tif missing Word 2007
Hi - I am using Word 2007 which is part of Office 2007 Professional. I had been using Office 2007 Pro on XP SP3. When I wanted to print a document, I had the option of printing it as an image (.tif) in the printer options. Please note that this option was in the printer options and not in the Word 2007 printing options. I am now using Windows 7 Professional (32 bit), and I no longer have the 'print as .tif' option in Word 2007. Question: I do I enable this option? Thanks Joe If you have not already done so you need to re-run Office setup and install Mi...

Moving between worksheets

MODI (microsoft Office Document Imaging)
Ive just recently installed MODI in my new hp computer and cant get the search to work. It doesn't look for what i type. Im using Windows 7Home Premium 64-Bit And Microsoft Office Standard 2007 If anyone has ANY ideas it would be appreciated! Its urgent as it is my work computer. Regards TwiceAsNice2 What exactly are you trying to search? MODI is just a printer driver that allows you to create a document that can be sent via email etc just like we used to create a pdf file from Office document until M$ came out with "Save As" tool for Office 2007. MODI a...

Moving Cache
I have started a new computer with Vista Ultimate. I have outlook 2003 up and running and have copied my PST file from my old Windows XP Pro computer. I did have a lot of cached addresses which were not in my contacts. I copied the .NK2 files from the XP to the Vista computer, replacing the currect *.NK2 files in the roaming folder. The address do not appear when I try to address a new email. Am I missing something? Regards. Bob Is your profile name the same on the Vista Machine? Where did you put = the file? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to ...

Open document from previous version
How do I open a document from a previous version of Publisher..I have 2000? Are you certain it is an earlier version? Do you have Norton? Disable "script blocking" and try again. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jan" <jan0704@msn.com> wrote in message news:44cc01c4a49e$a8fcbbe0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I open a document from a previous version of > Publisher..I have 2000? Jan wrote: > How do I open a document from a previous version of > Publisher..I have 2000? If it ...

Custom Entity Offline Visibility
Hi, I created several Custom Enitities for a client with "Visible Offline" checked off. Each user has a global permissions for these entities (except Delete), but they cannot see their Custom Enitity records offline. Any ideas as to why this may be? Make sure they have defined data rules for bringing the data offline. -- Matt Parks MVP - Dynamics CRM "MD" <MD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DD34ECF-4FE2-4938-9B57-419656F16084@microsoft.com... Hi, I created several Custom Enitities for a client with "Visible Offline" checked off....