Installing Office 2003 is a mess

I purchased Office 2003 on disk and I installed it on my old XP machine.

When I used the same disk to install Office 2003 on my new Vista machine, I
was taken by surprise when I was asked if I wanted Office 2007. I said yes,
thinking that it was a free update for Vista.

Now I have the following 3 problems, of which I have solved only the first
one:

1. When I open a Word file by double-clicking in Explorer, the file opens
under Office 2007 and asks if I want to install it, which I do not. I solved
this problem by first opening Word 2003 with the icon on the desktop and now
all my Word files open with this version and I don't get Office 2007
messages. Solved.

2. When I follow the same procedure with Excel 2003, the trick doesn't work
i.e. I can't open an Excel file under Office 2003 by double-clicking. The
file always opens under Office 2007 and asks me if I want to buy it.

3. The PowerPoint icon is not on my desktop and I can't find the Powerpoint
2003 version anywhere. The disk installed it on my XP machine, so why not on
my Vista machine?

I never had such installation problems with a software. Normally I buy the
software and I say yes to everything and everything I paid for is installed.
I must say that I am extremely irritated with the change to Vista, as I have
already lost many hours fooling around with taking ownership of my own
computer, changing properties all over the place, etc.

I could now try to uninstall all Office versions and hope that it works
better with a new installation. What do I have to look out for, so that I get
the same installation result as I got on my XP machine?

Well you could try Open Office which works well for me and millions of
others, it may get you by this bad spot if only temporarily.

http://www.openoffice.org/

It is completely free and may buy you time to sort out the other
problems, for which I don't know the answer.

You could check the file associations for XLS files to see if there is a
problem there.

Charlie Tame

Lancelot wrote:
> I purchased Office 2003 on disk and I installed it on my old XP machine.
>
> When I used the same disk to install Office 2003 on my new Vista machine, I
> was taken by surprise when I was asked if I wanted Office 2007. I said yes,
> thinking that it was a free update for Vista.
>
> Now I have the following 3 problems, of which I have solved only the first
> one:
>
> 1. When I open a Word file by double-clicking in Explorer, the file opens
> under Office 2007 and asks if I want to install it, which I do not. I solved
> this problem by first opening Word 2003 with the icon on the desktop and now
> all my Word files open with this version and I don't get Office 2007
> messages. Solved.
>
> 2. When I follow the same procedure with Excel 2003, the trick doesn't work
> i.e. I can't open an Excel file under Office 2003 by double-clicking. The
> file always opens under Office 2007 and asks me if I want to buy it.
>
> 3. The PowerPoint icon is not on my desktop and I can't find the Powerpoint
> 2003 version anywhere. The disk installed it on my XP machine, so why not on
> my Vista machine?
>
> I never had such installation problems with a software. Normally I buy the
> software and I say yes to everything and everything I paid for is installed.
> I must say that I am extremely irritated with the change to Vista, as I have
> already lost many hours fooling around with taking ownership of my own
> computer, changing properties all over the place, etc.
>
> I could now try to uninstall all Office versions and hope that it works
> better with a new installation. What do I have to look out for, so that I get
> the same installation result as I got on my XP machine?
0
Charlie
12/6/2009 7:40:27 PM
Uninstall all, reinstall what you want.
Office 2007 varies not at all from 2003 other than the ribbon of abomination
and automatic drop down boxes in word if you create complex form templates.
The slipshod laziness of Microsoft programmers, evident in all Microsoft
programs, persists in small details like Word 2007 allowing clicking to your
choice of default storage file whereas in Excel 2007 you have to enter that
manually.
Lest anyone think Win7 shows any less laziness see what happens when you
drill down a file tree in a Windows Explorer file tree.

0
igotsaurus
12/6/2009 7:48:35 PM
Your new Vista PC came with a Trial of Office, uninstall any/all Office
versions shown in Add/Remove, together with the Activation Assistant,
reboot, then install your paid for version

"Lancelot" <Lancelot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased Office 2003 on disk and I installed it on my old XP machine.
>
> When I used the same disk to install Office 2003 on my new Vista machine,
> was taken by surprise when I was asked if I wanted Office 2007. I said
> yes,
> thinking that it was a free update for Vista.
>
> Now I have the following 3 problems, of which I have solved only the first
> one:
>
> 1. When I open a Word file by double-clicking in Explorer, the file opens
> under Office 2007 and asks if I want to install it, which I do not. I
> solved
> this problem by first opening Word 2003 with the icon on the desktop and
> now
> all my Word files open with this version and I don't get Office 2007
> messages. Solved.
>
> 2. When I follow the same procedure with Excel 2003, the trick doesn't
> work
> i.e. I can't open an Excel file under Office 2003 by double-clicking. The
> file always opens under Office 2007 and asks me if I want to buy it.
>
> 3. The PowerPoint icon is not on my desktop and I can't find the
> Powerpoint
> 2003 version anywhere. The disk installed it on my XP machine, so why not
> on
> my Vista machine?
>
> I never had such installation problems with a software. Normally I buy the
> software and I say yes to everything and everything I paid for is
> installed.
> I must say that I am extremely irritated with the change to Vista, as I
> have
> already lost many hours fooling around with taking ownership of my own
> computer, changing properties all over the place, etc.
>
> I could now try to uninstall all Office versions and hope that it works
> better with a new installation. What do I have to look out for, so that I
> get
> the same installation result as I got on my XP machine?

0
DL
12/6/2009 7:59:16 PM
The reason being is that your new Vista contained the Office 2007 Trial.Uninstall
the Trial and the Activation Assistant and all of Office 2003 and then reboot and
then re-install your Office 2003

--
Peter

"Lancelot" <Lancelot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased Office 2003 on disk and I installed it on my old XP machine.
>
> When I used the same disk to install Office 2003 on my new Vista machine, I
> was taken by surprise when I was asked if I wanted Office 2007. I said yes,
> thinking that it was a free update for Vista.
>
> Now I have the following 3 problems, of which I have solved only the first
> one:
>
> 1. When I open a Word file by double-clicking in Explorer, the file opens
> under Office 2007 and asks if I want to install it, which I do not. I solved
> this problem by first opening Word 2003 with the icon on the desktop and now
> all my Word files open with this version and I don't get Office 2007
> messages. Solved.
>
> 2. When I follow the same procedure with Excel 2003, the trick doesn't work
> i.e. I can't open an Excel file under Office 2003 by double-clicking. The
> file always opens under Office 2007 and asks me if I want to buy it.
>
> 3. The PowerPoint icon is not on my desktop and I can't find the Powerpoint
> 2003 version anywhere. The disk installed it on my XP machine, so why not on
> my Vista machine?
>
> I never had such installation problems with a software. Normally I buy the
> software and I say yes to everything and everything I paid for is installed.
> I must say that I am extremely irritated with the change to Vista, as I have
> already lost many hours fooling around with taking ownership of my own
> computer, changing properties all over the place, etc.
>
> I could now try to uninstall all Office versions and hope that it works
> better with a new installation. What do I have to look out for, so that I get
> the same installation result as I got on my XP machine?

0
Peter
12/6/2009 8:21:42 PM

"Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
> Well you could try Open Office which works well for me and millions of
> others, it may get you by this bad spot if only temporarily.

Hey idiot - He purchased Office.  He doesn't need that INFERIOR Open Sores
Office.  Get a brain.

> <SNIP LINK>
>
> It is completely free and may buy you time to sort out the other problems,
> for which I don't know the answer.

So your response is to ignore the problem that he has and put an INFERIOR
Office Suite on his PC?
He needs to uninstall Office 2007 and Office 2003.  Then reinstall Office
2003.

He doesn't need that shitty OO that is about 10 years behind the times.

0
Bill
12/8/2009 6:08:46 PM
Bill Yanaire wrote:

> "Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
>> Well you could try Open Office which works well for me and millions of
>> others, it may get you by this bad spot if only temporarily.
>>

> Hey idiot - He purchased Office.  He doesn't need that INFERIOR Open
> Sores Office.  Get a brain.
>

>> <SNIP LINK>
>>
>> It is completely free and may buy you time to sort out the other
>> problems, for which I don't know the answer.
>
> So your response is to ignore the problem that he has and put an
> INFERIOR Office Suite on his PC?
> He needs to uninstall Office 2007 and Office 2003.  Then reinstall
> Office 2003.
>
> He doesn't need that shitty OO that is about 10 years behind the times.

So, hot shot, what's your solution to the OP's problem or are you here
just to diss Open Source software?

--
Alias
0

"Alias" <alias@nospam.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Bill Yanaire wrote:
>>

>> "Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
>>> Well you could try Open Office which works well for me and millions of
>>> others, it may get you by this bad spot if only temporarily.
>>>

>> Hey idiot - He purchased Office.  He doesn't need that INFERIOR Open
>> Sores Office.  Get a brain.
>>

>>> <SNIP LINK>
>>>
>>> It is completely free and may buy you time to sort out the other
>>> problems, for which I don't know the answer.
>>
>> So your response is to ignore the problem that he has and put an INFERIOR
>> Office Suite on his PC?
>> He needs to uninstall Office 2007 and Office 2003.  Then reinstall Office
>> 2003.
>>
>> He doesn't need that shitty OO that is about 10 years behind the times.
>>

> So, hot shot, what's your solution to the OP's problem or are you here
> just to diss Open Source software?
>
> --
> Alias

You have reading comprehension problems.  I did suggest a solution.  It's in
the post.  Try real hard and you will find it.  If you have trouble let me
know and I'll point it out to you. LOL!  I'll give you a hint:

>> He needs to uninstall Office 2007 and Office 2003.  Then reinstall Office
>> 2003.

HA HA HA HA HA HA -  Alias is STUPID.

0
Bill
12/8/2009 9:02:01 PM
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 13:02:01 -0800, "Bill Yanaire" <bill@yanaire.com> wrote:

>"Alias" <alias@nospam.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Bill Yanaire wrote:
>>>

>>> "Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Hey idiot - He purchased Office.  He doesn't need that INFERIOR Open
>>> Sores Office.  Get a brain.

>>> So your response is to ignore the problem that he has and put an INFERIOR
>>> Office Suite on his PC?
>>> He needs to uninstall Office 2007 and Office 2003.  Then reinstall Office
>>> 2003.
>>>
>>> He doesn't need that shitty OO that is about 10 years behind the times.
>>>

>> So, hot shot, what's your solution to the OP's problem or are you here
>> just to diss Open Source software?
>>
>> --
>> Alias
>
>You have reading comprehension problems.  I did suggest a solution.  It's in
>the post.  Try real hard and you will find it.  If you have trouble let me
>know and I'll point it out to you. LOL!  I'll give you a hint:
>
>>> He needs to uninstall Office 2007 and Office 2003.  Then reinstall Office
>>> 2003.

I suspect the confusion arose because this was an actual, helpful reply to a
technical query. Somewhat unusual for this newgroup of late. :-)
0
Memnoch

RE-Installing

Also Can't Install Latest Update

Unread mail in OUtlook 2003
The unread mail in the default view isn't working right for several clients. Anyone have this problem? ...

outlook 2003 #69
i have problem sending messages from pop3 accounts in outook 2003 when i configure exchange server for intranet, even when i select pop3 account as defalut account and exchage is second option, if i select pop3 account as default then i am unable to send messages local exchange server, if i configure the same in outlook xp then every thing is ok pop3 and exchange any body can help me to solve this problem or it is a bug in outlook 2003 Configure the account (POP3 or Exchange) that you use the most as the default. When you want to send using the other account, select that account from...

Value Pak Installer

Add-In Is Not Valid Office Add-In Error Message
When I bootup Microsoft Outlook 2000 (9.0.0.2711), I get the following error message: 'C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Add-Ins\' is not a valid Office add-in. I also get this message when I open Outlook 2000, click on the Tools menu, click on Options, click on the Other tab, click on the Advanced Options button, and then click on the COM Add-Ins button. Would appreciate any help anyone may have to fix this problem. --Eric Ogawa This problem has been addressed in: "OL2000: Error Message: Not a Valid Office Add-in Starting Outlook" http://support.microsoft.com/supp...

Exchange 2003 ESM errors
when trying to open Public Folders in teh Exchange System Manager I am receiving the following error; The operation failed due to an invalid format in the HTTP request. Verify that the host header is correct for the virtual server. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated; tim Tim, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282125 E "TimW" <tim.watson@republink.com> wrote in message news:05a501c3c34e$ca07a570$a101280a@phx.gbl... > when trying to open Public Folders in teh Exchange System > Manager I am receiving the following error; &...

Installation #4

Outlook 2003 Deleting Deleted Items!
This annoying problem is driving me nuts! I'm running Outlook 2003 w/SP1 (Exchange 2000) on Windows 2000 Pro w/SP4. Recently, Outlook has been automatically emptying my Deleted Items folder to Recover Deleted Items! I've checked my Rules as well as AutoArchive settings but can't find the cause of these mysterious deletions. The problem persists even after I uninstalled/reinstalled Office 2003 Pro. Actually after I did this, Outlook behaved itself for a whole day but the problem returned the next. Sometimes after recovering my deleted items, I can find my Deleted Item...

Access 2003 functions
I am trying to calculate a geometric mean in a report. Access does not have a geometric mean function. I can do it using common logarithims and anitlogarithims, but I can only find a natural logarithim function and an exp function that also is based on natural logs. Without going into excel, does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks Chris U�ytkownik "crhiggins" <crhiggins@discussions.microsoft.com> napisa� w wiadomo�ci news:A7BF21FF-F298-4983-8C03-F34A23E6B2FF@microsoft.com... >I am trying to calculate a geometric mean in a report. Access does not have >a > g...

Installer for my access application

Fresh install, crystal issue.

Outlook 2003 / BCM
When you pull up the Opportunities page in Outlook 2003 / BCM - it sorts the stages alphabetically - (e.g. Closed Lost, Negotiation etc.). Is there a way for the view to open with the stages sorted by "stage" - (e.g. Prospecting, Qualification, Needs Analysis, etc.)? Please advise, BSW ...

how to sync my blackberry 7100 with outlook 2003
Please help. I have Outlook 2000 and can sync with my new blackberry but now it say on the 2003 says that no application selected. Ask RIM - it is their problem to solve as Microsoft has nothing to do with Blackberries other than using them. They do not write their software. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, davidwshipley asked: | Please help. I have Outlook 2000 and can sync w...

Installing XP over Linux

CRM SBS install error

Microsoft Office
Can I run microsoft office 2000 in a dell XP? Thanks MC You certainly should be able to I have xp home and have xl95, xl97sr2, and xl2002 all installed on mine. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "MCabot" <ICC@zoomtown.com> wrote in message news:d57c1$43074b60$453dae72$5006@FUSE.NET... > Can I run microsoft office 2000 in a dell XP? > > > > Thanks > MC > > Not sure what you mean by "dell XP", but see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217883 "Description of the system requirements for all editions of Office 200...

Import outlook 2003 messeges from outlook 2003
Hi Have resently made a new instalation of office 2003 and saved the old office 2003 on a backupp drive (d). Can someone give me istructions how to import messeges stored on my d-drive? Any ideas welcomed Jan All mail and other Outlook items are kept in a pst-file. Search your backup for pst-files and make sure you include hidden files dureing your search. When you find it you can connect to it from Outlook by using File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2...

Internet Printing: Printer Installation Failed. The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform
Hi. I have a SBS 2003 machine, I have 2 shared printers set up on it for remote users to print via IPP. Both printers are connected to Windows XP workstations. When I browse to https://servername/printers, I see all the printers. I can use the Connect link to install one of the printers on my workstation however if I select the second printer and click on Connect I eventually get the error: Printer Installation Failed The driver files are not available for the current CPU platform. Please contact your administrator to install proper driver files on the server. I've v...

Issue installing KB916803
Hi, I currently have a problem trying to install the above hotfix. I am trying to test this hotfix with Exchange 2003 server running SP2. I have downloaded the SP2 version of the hotfix from MS, but when I try to run it on my Exchange BE server, I get an error back telling me that the version of Exchange I have is too old, and that I need to install SP2 (even though that is what is installed)! I have tried reinstalling SP2, which didnt fix the problem. I then tried installing on a FE server, which had the same issue. I have now tried this in four different E2k3 SP2 servers, and all ...

client installation
i have installed crm 3 server and it working fine. when i try to install the client i get this message :Action microsoft.crm.setup.client.installabpaction failed exception from hresult:08004010f can you help please gil Gil; What version of windows/outlook is installed? Which version of the outlook client are you installing (laptop or desktop)? Are you installing from the CD, or across a network share? At what point does it fail? Dave "Gil Gilon" <Gil Gilon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07D48A61-81B4-4B1C-BF43-9A45A01C5BB7@microsoft.com... &g...