HTM files do not open

Hi Everybody,
1.  I have Vista Home Premium and Internet Explorer v 8.  I never set
anything about users or administrators since I am the only one using this
computer.
2.  I have many old graphics tutorials in HTM format which I downloaded some
years ago when I was using Windows 98.  They opened in Windows 98.
3.  I can't open them with Vista.  If I use FILE > OPEN in Internet
Explorer, I get the HTML code.  If I double click on the file in Windows
Explorer, I get a message saying that Windows Internet Explorer is not
responding.
4.  I have a similar  problem with HTM files which I have recently
downloaded from the internet news groups.
        Are there some settings or updates to correct this problem.
           Thanking you.
Phil

0
Philip

why don't you rename them to html

--
..
--
"Philip K" <PhilipK@aol/com> wrote in message
> Hi Everybody,
> 1.  I have Vista Home Premium and Internet Explorer v 8.  I never set
> anything about users or administrators since I am the only one using this
> computer.
> 2.  I have many old graphics tutorials in HTM format which I downloaded
> some years ago when I was using Windows 98.  They opened in Windows 98.
> 3.  I can't open them with Vista.  If I use FILE > OPEN in Internet
> Explorer, I get the HTML code.  If I double click on the file in Windows
> Explorer, I get a message saying that Windows Internet Explorer is not
> responding.
> 4.  I have a similar  problem with HTM files which I have recently
> downloaded from the internet news groups.
>        Are there some settings or updates to correct this problem.
>           Thanking you.
> Phil

In IE Tools menu - Internet Options - Programs tab and choose Make Default.

--
..
--
<.> wrote in message news:eG3KKIdiKHA.1540@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> why don't you rename them to html
>
> --
> .
> --
> "Philip K" <PhilipK@aol/com> wrote in message
>> Hi Everybody,
>> 1.  I have Vista Home Premium and Internet Explorer v 8.  I never set
>> anything about users or administrators since I am the only one using this
>> computer.
>> 2.  I have many old graphics tutorials in HTM format which I downloaded
>> some years ago when I was using Windows 98.  They opened in Windows 98.
>> 3.  I can't open them with Vista.  If I use FILE > OPEN in Internet
>> Explorer, I get the HTML code.  If I double click on the file in Windows
>> Explorer, I get a message saying that Windows Internet Explorer is not
>> responding.
>> 4.  I have a similar  problem with HTM files which I have recently
>> downloaded from the internet news groups.
>>        Are there some settings or updates to correct this problem.
>>           Thanking you.
>> Phil

Hi,
     Thanks for the  comments.
     I'll give them a try.  I believe that Windows Live Mail is virtually
the same as OE.
Phil

0
Philip
12/31/2009 6:38:06 AM
I'm bemused at the mention of OE and WLM. Yes WLM is a later version of OE.
But we were talking about IE.

I had another thought - reinstall IE 8.

--
..
--
> Hi,
>     Thanks for the  comments.
>     I'll give them a try.  I believe that Windows Live Mail is virtually
> the same as OE.
> Phil

On 12/30/09, Philip K posted:
> Hi Everybody,
> 1.  I have Vista Home Premium and Internet Explorer v 8.  I never set
> anything about users or administrators since I am the only one using this
> computer.
> 2.  I have many old graphics tutorials in HTM format which I downloaded some
> years ago when I was using Windows 98.  They opened in Windows 98.
> 3.  I can't open them with Vista.  If I use FILE > OPEN in Internet Explorer,
> I get the HTML code.  If I double click on the file in Windows Explorer, I
> get a message saying that Windows Internet Explorer is not responding.
> 4.  I have a similar  problem with HTM files which I have recently downloaded
> from the internet news groups.
>         Are there some settings or updates to correct this problem.
>            Thanking you.
> Phil

It should have nothing to do with the extension: .htm works fine here,
either by double clicking on a file or by opening from within IE. That
is what I expected, but just to be sure I ran the experiment just now,
and it worked.

Here are my opinions:

There are possibly settings relating to the htm file extension that are
messed up. Look in the registry at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm and make sure
it looks like its sibling HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html\OpenWithList is probably not important,
however.

Also make sure HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IE.text/html is OK (I have no idea how
to do that!)

I can't found anything relevant in IE's settings, but perhaps there are
setting problems there too.

You might also play with the Open With dialog. In Windows Explorer,
right click on an htm file and select Open With, then Choose Default
Program.

The above is all based on the assumption that .html works OK.

--
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com

0
Gene
12/31/2009 8:34:03 PM
On Dec 30, 9:01=A0pm, "Philip K" <PhilipK@aol/com> wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
> 1. =A0I have Vista Home Premium and Internet Explorer v 8. =A0I never set
> anything about users or administrators since I am the only one using this
> computer.
> 2. =A0I have many old graphics tutorials in HTM format which I downloaded=
 some
> years ago when I was using Windows 98. =A0They opened in Windows 98.
> 3. =A0I can't open them with Vista. =A0If I use FILE > OPEN in Internet
> Explorer, I get the HTML code. =A0If I double click on the file in Window=
> Explorer, I get a message saying that Windows Internet Explorer is not
> responding.
> 4. =A0I have a similar =A0problem with HTM files which I have recently
> downloaded from the internet news groups.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Are there some settings or updates to correct this proble=
m.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Thanking you.
> Phil

If you saved Internet web pages as HTM files, it is more likely that
references within the HTM files are no longer available.  Just because
they used to open doesn't mean they always will because HTM files have
references to pictures or scripts or other site-specific information
that is NOT stored within an HTM.

Saving pages from the Internet as HTM is not the recommended method to
save what you want to keep.

Internet Explorer (I believe since version 6) has had the option to
save as a Web Archive file which creates an MHT file containing a
snapshot of whatever web page you are viewing.  This is not much help
at this point, however.

jimbo

0
badpc
12/31/2009 9:11:18 PM
Hi Gene,
     Thanks.
     I'll look around in the Registry.  Well, I'll look if I can work up the
nerve.
Phil

1
Philip
12/31/2009 10:32:49 PM
Hi,
     Thanks for the .mht tip.
Phil

0
Philip
12/31/2009 10:33:56 PM
On 12/31/09, Philip K posted:
> Hi Gene,
>      Thanks.
>      I'll look around in the Registry.  Well, I'll look if I can work up the
> nerve.
> Phil

The open-with idea is quite safe...

Note that anything you change in the registry is saved instantly, so
don't change anything, if you are not comfortable. The safest thing is
to look but don't change :-)

You could go to the registry items I mentioned, export them as .txt
files, and copy & paste the *contents* of those files into a post for
people here to look at. Preferably in this thread, for continuity.

I say copy and paste because attachments don't work in the newsgroups,
but instead of copying the text into a post, you could place the files
on a web site and post a link to the files, if that's convenient for
you.

In detail:
Open regedit.exe

Select HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm

Click on File -> Save as, choose the Text Files (*.txt) type, browse to
a convenient place to save it, and give it a nice name.

Repeat for the .html type.

--
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com

0
Gene

How do I reference external data from a file, file name found in .
How do I reference data from a file when the file name is found in destination workbook. i.e. I want to be able to have a cell whjere i type in source desitnation file name and the workbook will reference that file in a range If you build your formula with the reference to that closed workbook, excel will handle it nicely. I like to open the other workbook. Build the formula and use the mouse to point at that other range(?) in the other workbook. Then when I close that other workbook, my formula's syntax will be perfect--excel did all the real tough work! If you put the workbook...

cannot find file
In OUtlook 2003, when trying to open an attachment I'm about to SEND, I receive the message "the system can not open the file specified." I like to check before I send them to make sure I have the correct documents attached. It worked fine in 2000. Does anyone know what's wrong? ...

File updation turning off
every time the file is opened through a macro, a message pops up asking for updating links with other external file. I need a statement where it gives a no to that querry and open the file Can you change the code to not update links: Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=SomeFileNameHere, UpdateLinks:=0) (see VBA's help for more info) Gautam wrote: > > every time the file is opened through a macro, a message pops up > asking for updating links with other external file. I need a statement > where it gives a no to that querry and open the file -- Dave Peterson ...

Cannot Open Excel 1.x File #2
trying to open 1989 floppy disc - message popup is cannot open normal document created in Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh version 1.x Am able to open word documents on same floppy but need the excel spreadsheets any advice is welcome. We're using the macintosh powerbook 3400C with Excel 98 Thanks ...

opening junk mai
I get spam that isn't routed directly to Deleted Items. I highlite it and hit delete which sends to Deleted Iems, but the icon shows that the spam message has been opened. Why is the spam message opened? I assume that it shouldn't be opening this spam mail, so I have some concern that it is getting opened on its way to the deleted folder. Scott in Austin MN 5.12.08 "Scott Richardson" wrote in <news:x4idnQj4kqQ13LXVnZ2dnUVZ_qbinZ2d@onvoy.com>: > I get spam that isn't routed directly to Deleted Items. I highlite it and > hit delete which sends to Dele...

confused about NameSpace in xml files!

Combine old pst file into new pst file
How do you combine an old Outlook pst folder into a new Outlook pst folder? Drag and drop. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Dave asked: | How do you combine an old Outlook pst folder into a new Outlook pst | folder? OK but maybe my question should have been more precisely stated as combine an old outlook.pst file (not folder) into a new outlook.pst file. Does drag and drop still work at a file combining level...

Excel Files opening
When I try to open my Exel File it opens in Word. This only happens in one type of the file which others spreadsheets are alright. The error ones were the one reproduced fromm an original file. Make sure the file you are opening has the correct file extension. It needs to be *.xls not *.doc. "Chand" wrote: > When I try to open my Exel File it opens in Word. This only happens in one > type of the file which others spreadsheets are alright. The error ones were > the one reproduced fromm an original file. ...

Check Box not working when I save as webpage (.htm)
Hi everyone, I have inserted a Microsoft Forms Check box on my visio document. Within Visio, I can check and uncheck this box. But when I save it as a webpage, it can't be clicked. I know why this happens, because it saves the controls as images. But is there anyway around it, or another way I can put a check box on a visio document so that it can be checked/unchecked when it is saved as a webpage. Thanks in advance, Stefano Hello Stefano, The reason the controls are saved as an image in the web output is that they are represented as images in the Visio document itself. You can see ...

Cannot Compact Files
Using Windows XP Home SP3, IE7 and OE6, my wife keeps on getting the prompt that she must compact her folders. In the middle of compacting, however, she receives an error message that the folder is in use by another application, even though there is nothing else open. It happens on the same folder each time. I'm sure OE wants to compact because it cannot complete the compacting on the previous try. Any way to overcome this error. I have to say that my wife is a packrat, and never wants to throw anything out. As a result, she has almost 11,000 messages in the deleted folder. Y...

Dealing with Named Ranges when Importing Worksheet from Another File
When you are using range and name functions a lot, what's the best way of importing a worksheet from another file? It goes through a whole loop where asking whether to use the name defined in the destination sheet. I just press the enter down until but there must be a better way. ...

Open a Report with two different forms
I have a report (rptRepairRequest) that I have command button that prints it out from a form based on the ID of that form. This works fine. What I would like, and not sure if it is possible, is to have another form where I can just select the ID from a drop-down and open the same report. My record source for the report is currently: SELECT tblRepairList.* FROM tblRepairList WHERE (((tblRepairList.RepairID)=Forms!frmSerReqEntry!txtRepairID)); I tried adding an OR statement at the end: "OR (tblRepairList.RepairID)=Forms![frmRptRepairRequest]! [cboRepairID]" but it asks me for '...

Transfer files from money 99 to money 2003
We have a new computer with money 2003, old computer has our records in money 99. We tried to import export but the records to not come across correctly. What should we d???? You shouldn't have to export or import. Just move across your .MNY data file and open it with the newer version. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=68. "Michelle" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1351501c419bd$2899add0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > We have a new computer with money 2003, old computer has > our records in money 99. We tried to import export but > the...

How to create a .XLS file instead of a .CSV file
I have a COBOL program that generates a .CSV file regularly but I have a problem in the .csv file my users want the file to be in .XLS instead of .CSV is there a simple way I can turn my .csv file into a ..XLS file please advise. Can my COBOL program put some structure to turn the .CSV file into a ..XLS file. Also, can somebody share a VB Script to turn a .CSV file into a .XLS file. Thanks Karen An easy way is to open it in Excel and then save it as a workbook. You might just write a CSV file and name it with an XLS extension if the main gripe is having to change the fileopen dialog to lo...

Simply Identifying the location (in My Documents) of the Access Database that I have open
I am often working in an Access Database, and need to know in which Folder the Database exists. In other Msft applications, I can find out by simply selecting file > Save as. But in Access, this is not an option. So is there another way to identify in which folder the Access database is located? Thanks. http://www.mvps.org/access/general/gen0007.htm "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:dbdd625f-fb2a-4d42-a93c-f084efb8c781@d62g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... >I am often working in an Access Database, and need to know in which > Folder the Databas...

Saving files when closing Excel
Excel does not prompt for saving changes when closing a file after changes to the file have been done. Hi have you checked that there's no event macro in your file? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jonathan Gold wrote: > Excel does not prompt for saving changes when closing a file after > changes to the file have been done. ...

access file to exe file
Hi, good day! May i know the procedures on how to make access file to an executable file. I read a lot of Access books from 97 to XP versions but i was not able to find any. thank you very much and anticipating your response. Anthony > May i know the procedures on how to make access file to an > executable file. I read a lot of Access books from 97 to > XP versions but i was not able to find any. I tried a number of converters to translate Access into Visual Basic, all with limited success. Even when I was able to get a form working it required as much time to tweek it a...

Can't upload a file from my system
Using IE8, Windows XP, and SP3. When I am asked to upload a file (resume) from my system, click on Browse, My Documents opens then after about 3-5 seconds, My Documents window closes and I am not able to upload a file. This just started within the last 2-3 weeks. -- Bob M Hi, 1. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons by right-clicking the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons. or from Start> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons) If the problem goes away, a browser add-on is causing it. For troubleshooting informa...

how do I embed files to tabs in a worksheet?
please help... not sure what you mean, a worksheet is a tab in a workbook (sheet1, sheet2, etc) do you want the worksheet itself to have tabs? "jc80013" wrote: > please help... ...

Problem opening files in excel with a specific account
Hi. We have problmes opening a couple of files in excel, without any specific error message. The application just "hangs". When we log on to WXP as another user, the files work fine. We have re-installed excel, deleted and recreated the user profile which has problems, but still no luck. Anybody got a clue why this is happening? The computer excel is running on is a DELL Optiplex Pentium HyperThreading machine. Thansk in advance. Sometimes cleaning up the windows Temp folder will help. If that doesn't help, sometimes the file that contains the toolbar customizations...

Does XP have a file to decompress *.gz files?
I hope this isn't too off-topic. I have XP media center and also XP home. Will these include a application to decompress files with the extention GZ. I know Winzip doesn't work. Thanks. Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL Jackson wrote: > I hope this isn't too off-topic. I have XP media center and > also XP home. Will these include a application to > decompress files with the extention GZ. I know Winzip > doesn't work. > > > Thanks. > Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), FL http://www.7zipdownload.com/ philo ...

Sharing of a *.pst file possible?
On a network drive there is a *.pst file which I want to use from two Outlook 2003 installations on two different computers. The problem is when I add the *.pst file from the second Outlook installation then the *.pst file is disconnected from the first Outlook installation. So it seems to me there is exclusive usage from only one OL installation. Is there a way to setup a shared *.pst file anyway? Joe ...

Category field in VCF file
I created a VBScript procedure to take contact fields from a website and have it create a VCF to bring into Outlook. The file works fine, but I was trying to get the Category field to be populated by my script. This is the text of my vcf file: BEGIN:VCARD VERSION:2.1 N:Someguy;firstname; FN:firstname someguy ORG:microsoft TITLE:janitor TEL;WORK;VOICE:(800) 273-0876 ADR;WORK:;;123 anywhere st.;anytown;MI;93827;United States of America LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:123 anywhere st.=0D=0Aanytown, MI 93827=0D=0AUnited States of America EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:someone@somewhere.com REV:2005...

how do I know if my Exchange server is an open proxy?
Hi, all: Looks like my email server is on the blacklist. How do i know if my exchange server2003 is an open proxy. How to close it if so.. Thanks Telnet to your Exchange server's smtp port and try to send an email to an external domain. Or go to http://www.abuse.net/relay.html and test. By default, Exchange 200x servers are configured to deny relaying. You can check the settings in Exchange System Manager by going to smtp virtual server properties | Access tab | Relay. ("Only the list below" and "Allow all computers which successfully authenticate to relay regardles...

How do I set up a hyperlink with destination being a PDF file?
Is this destination possible ? Absolutely. <a href="/documents/doc.pdf">document</a> and it will open with Adobe Acrobat reader if installed. "ricksamm1" wrote: > Is this destination possible ? Yes. File | Import the PDF into a folder in your web. Create a link to it on a page like you would anything else. -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "ricksamm1" <ricksamm1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C211F23B-0B65-40A5-88EF-6E2CF171F2B1@microsoft.com... ...