How Can I Fix a Windows Update Error Due To Untimely Shutdown?

I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64.  I have a problem
with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled the plug
from the wall.  I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76 updates,
which it completed with no problem.  It then started installing them one by
one.  It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer shut
off.  It's labeled as

Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
(KB969058)

and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed.  If I try to
re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says "Some
updates were not installed." with a big red X.  It also says "Error(s)
found:  Code 80242006  Windows Update encountered an unknown error."

Question:  How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the rest
of the updates?  Thanks.

0
Phil

I would be more concerned as to why your computer keeps shutting down. Is it
overheating?
Meanwhile use system restore to go back to before that update then try
again.

--
John the West Ham fan

housetrained@hotmail.com
<><

"Phil Galey" <pgaley@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64.  I have a
> problem with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled
> the plug from the wall.  I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76
> updates,
> which it completed with no problem.  It then started installing them one
> by one.  It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer
> shut off.  It's labeled as
>
> Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
> (KB969058)
>
> and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
> Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed.  If I try to
> re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says
> "Some updates were not installed." with a big red X.  It also says
> "Error(s) found:  Code 80242006  Windows Update encountered an unknown
> error."
>
> Question:  How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the rest
> of the updates?  Thanks.

0
housetrained
8/11/2010 8:59:36 PM
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:07:34 -0700, Phil Galey wrote:

> I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64.  I have a problem
> with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled the plug
> from the wall.  I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76 updates,
> which it completed with no problem.  It then started installing them one by
> one.  It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer shut
> off.  It's labeled as
>
> Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
> (KB969058)
>
> and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
> Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed.  If I try to
> re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says "Some
> updates were not installed." with a big red X.  It also says "Error(s)
> found:  Code 80242006  Windows Update encountered an unknown error."
>
> Question:  How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the rest
> of the updates?  Thanks.

I certainly agree with housetrained...

But to answer the question you asked - it is possible to download updates
(one by one if necessary) and install them individually from the downloaded
files. Or just go to the update manager and uncheck the checkbox for the
one that is troubling you.

It sounds like you haven't done this: configure Windows Update to tell you
when updates are available and let you start the process manually. That
would give you the opportunity to unselect the bad one before retrying.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
0

"Phil Galey" wrote:

> I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64.  I have a problem
> with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled the plug
> from the wall.  I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76 updates,
> which it completed with no problem.  It then started installing them one by
> one.  It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer shut
> off.  It's labeled as
>
> Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
> (KB969058)
>
> and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
> Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed.  If I try to
> re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says "Some
> updates were not installed." with a big red X.  It also says "Error(s)
> found:  Code 80242006  Windows Update encountered an unknown error."
>
> Question:  How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the rest
> of the updates?  Thanks.

See the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

You really need to fix that sudden shutoff issue before you even think about
installing updates. I would start with the failing power supply.

"Kevin John Panzke" <kevin.panzke@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Aug 11, 3:59 pm, "housetrained" <housetrai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I would be more concerned as to why your computer keeps shutting down. Is
>> it
>> overheating?
>> Meanwhile use system restore to go back to before that update then try
>> again.
>>
>> --
>> John the West Ham fan
>>
>> housetrai...@hotmail.com
>> <><
>>
>> "Phil Galey" <pga...@roadrunner.com> wrote in message

>> > I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64.  I have a
>> > problem with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just
>> > pulled
>> > the plug from the wall.  I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76
>> > updates,
>> > which it completed with no problem.  It then started installing them
>> > one
>> > by one.  It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer
>> > shut off.  It's labeled as
>>
>> > Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
>> > (KB969058)
>>
>> > and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
>> > Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed.  If I try to
>> > re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says
>> > "Some updates were not installed." with a big red X.  It also says
>> > "Error(s) found:  Code 80242006  Windows Update encountered an unknown
>> > error."
>>
>> > Question:  How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the
>> > rest
>> > of the updates?  Thanks.
>
> REFORMAT YOUR COMPUTER AND INSTALL OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU!

Is this Alias 'under cover'?

0
webster72n
8/12/2010 1:53:26 AM

"webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Kevin John Panzke" <kevin.panzke@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Aug 11, 3:59 pm, "housetrained" <housetrai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> I would be more concerned as to why your computer keeps shutting down.
>>> Is it
>>> overheating?
>>> Meanwhile use system restore to go back to before that update then try
>>> again.
>>>
>>> --
>>> John the West Ham fan
>>>
>>> housetrai...@hotmail.com
>>> <><
>>>
>>> "Phil Galey" <pga...@roadrunner.com> wrote in message

>> REFORMAT YOUR COMPUTER AND INSTALL OPEN SOURCE LINUX UBUNTU!
>
> Is this Alias 'under cover'?

No - It's just a mental retard doing what he does best.

0
Agnasty
8/12/2010 4:02:24 PM
RE:  Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 running on AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core
Processor 4000+  2.1GHz
        with 3 Gb of RAM

As everyone as been recommending, I replaced my older 350 Watt power supply
with a brand new 680 Watt power supply.  Unfortunately, as I expected, the
computer still shuts off.  The program that most quickly causes it to shut
off is Microsoft Flight Simulator X Demo.  Admittedly, the system does seem
to be able to idle for a long time now.  I haven't waited to see how long.

I downloaded CoreTemp64 and I notice that when running Flight Simulator and
flying the jet liner, Core 1 is maxed at 100% usage and the temperature
eventually gets past 100° C.  Core 2 on the other hand stays basically idle,
with about 4% usage and the temperature maintaining at about 20° cooler than
Core 1.  So as I suspected, it does look like I have an overheating problem.

The CPU fan is running at over 3300 rpm.  Do I have a bad CPU, or might it
be something else?

Phillip

"Mark Adams" <MarkAdams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Phil Galey" wrote:
>
>> I have a fresh installation of Windows Vista Ultimate x64.  I have a
>> problem
>> with my computer suddenly shutting off, like someone just pulled the plug
>> from the wall.  I crossed my fingers and downloaded Windows 76 updates,
>> which it completed with no problem.  It then started installing them one
>> by
>> one.  It got through the first 28 and on the 29th one, the computer shut
>> off.  It's labeled as
>>
>> Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
>> (KB969058)
>>
>> and when I review the update history, everything so far shows up as
>> Successful except that one, which is marked as Failed.  If I try to
>> re-download and install that one update, I get a dialog box that says
>> "Some
>> updates were not installed." with a big red X.  It also says "Error(s)
>> found:  Code 80242006  Windows Update encountered an unknown error."
>>
>> Question:  How can I fix that update so I can move on and install the
>> rest
>> of the updates?  Thanks.
>>

> See the following KB article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
>
> You really need to fix that sudden shutoff issue before you even think
> about
> installing updates. I would start with the failing power supply.

0
Phil
8/22/2010 4:39:36 PM
It might be a dust mat accumulated between the CPU fan and the heat
sink, so the CPU is not being cooled.

On 22/08/2010 17:39, Phil Galey wrote:

> The CPU fan is running at over 3300 rpm. Do I have a bad CPU, or might
> it be something else?
>
> Phillip
0
Dominic

Can't see 401(k) contribiltion total

Integration Manager error #2
Is anyone familiar with this error from the Itegration Manager: "DOC 1 ERROR: Could not locate the Integration Manager sanScript library." I get this when running a payroll transaction integreation. The import file is a flat text file located on a network drive. IM runs other integrations on this PC. Regards, - Greg Crowe ...

Online prices updating quit
It is no longer available as a choice... only manual updating of prices is now available. Anyone know how to get it back? I already removed and reinstalled program (2004 Deluxe). Could it be corrupted .mny file? In microsoft.public.money, david_b2 wrote: >It is no longer available as a choice... only manual updating of prices is >now available. Anyone know how to get it back? I already removed and >reinstalled program (2004 Deluxe). Could it be corrupted .mny file? Help->About->OnlineServicesPolicy and Help->About->LicenseAgreement (section 2. DESCRIPTION OF ...

Lost Windows Live Mail Contacts
My Windows Live Mail contacts have been replaced by the few contacts in Windows Messenger, both in launching a new email - and also clicking on the contacts icon. I have tried all sorts of actions, including reboot, but the problem remains. WLM reflects 2 different sets of contacts depending upon whether you have "signed in" with your live ID... Depending on upon where you main contact list is stored.... you'll either want to sign-in or sign out... Login to the Live website and check your contact list. If everything is there, you'll need to be signed-in w...

Can't send/receive

timesheet entry error #2
When we enter timesheets, we get the error that the pay code does not exist for the employee in the rate table. I looked at the KB 874621 as well and everything checks out. We get our cost and billing from employee rate table. Surprisingly we are getting this error for the project for all the employees. Apart from making sure that the employee with his salary paycode (as he is a salary employee) is defined in the rate table, what else can I check? ...

repetitive windows update
Despite my Outlook 2007 is correctly installed and working, from several days I am receiving KB980376 security update, that is unable to install as "unable to find the related product". Any idea on how to stop this bothering routine ? I tryed to install manually with Windows XP Pro safe install : no result! Thanks Manlio ...

Money 2006 not updating properly
My bank, Bank One, was purchased by Chase, and until recently maintained a separate identity. My Money 2006 listed all my accounts with Bank One, and updated my records regularly. Now Bank One has merged completely, and all accounts are Chase accounts. Money has created a new Chase account which lists only transactions since Bank One was converted to Chase, and I need to merge everything into one account. How do I do that? Thanks, Terry Hi Terry, Very simple process. 1. click on the account list, then click on manage online services on the left under common tasks. 2. click on ban...

Can not Customize Leads View

Parent Child Fix I hope
Well this query work for ordering all item including parent items with reorder min/max values set. UPDATE Item SET notes='' where item.id in (select parentitem from item where parentitem <> 0 and reorderpoint<=Quantity) UPDATE Item SET notes='order' where item.id in (select parentitem from item where parentitem <> 0 and reorderpoint>=Quantity) run these two querys and set the child items reorderpoint to the min you want on hand and parent min max levels need to be set. In po generation based on reorder information add a filter that searches for "...

Bulk attachments

outlook error...Operation Failed
I have been using outlook for many years and in the last week I am not able to open outlook. It appears it is going to open up and then at the last second and error message comes up "Operation Failed." I have removed and reinstalled outlook and I can't get past this error message? Anybody know how I can correct this? Scott How about posting some details about your Outlook version and setup? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account w...

audible click when opening a new window.
I know I should be able to find this somewhere but I can't seem to figure it out. When I open a new folder or window there is a "click" sound that the computer makes. How can I turn this off? Thanks! Amadeus Try: Control Panel-Sounds "Start Navigation" and "Complete Navigation" are the relevant items. ....Alan -- Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows -Internet Explorer http://dts-l.com/index.htm On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 13:56:27 -0700, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, Amadeus <Amadeus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I kno...

Start background thread when a UI button is clicked, and Update UI button from background thread
I was asked these questions during a technical interview: 1) When the user clicks on a button on the form and that invokes a lot of heavy-duty calculations, what would you do? My answer: I would use "BeginInvoke" to start a background worker thread to do the heavy-duty calculations, in order to avoid blocking the main UI thread. Then he asked, "What does 'BeginInvoke' do"? I said it was a .NET pattern to start a background thread from a UI thread. Did I get it right? 2) Why can't you simply update a button on the UI thread from a background ...

Can't delete email #2

Can Not Reply To Emails

How can I rename a database table?

Fixed task time with flexible schedule
I am trying to create a yearly task schedule for building maintenance. My task durations are fixed at 4 to 8 hours but each task needs to be scheduled for sometime during the week of... "8 hours window cleaning anytime during the third week of July" for example. How do I represent this in MS Project 2007? Here is a reasonable work around. Project cannot schedule work "Any random 8 hour period during the week of January 25, 2010 to Januar 29, 2010." Here is what it can do: First key the task name and duration. On the main Gantt, select Window/Split... T...

Rules in error dialog box
I am receiving an error dialog box saying 'Rules in error'each time I start Outlook or a new mail arrives. It says it cannot move messages to the folder. I then deleted all the rules, recreated them; verified that a valid folder exists. Also verified that the .pst file is valid. Any ideas. TIA. G'Day Bob, 1. Disable all rules for (say) 2 to 3 days. 2. After this time, use the "Run now..." option for each rule. 3. If there are still errors, THEN a Rule is incorrect. -- Regards, Pat Garard Australia ______________________________________ ...