hosts file

Hi all,

After I  modified  HOSTS  file in another directory I can not replace the
one on windows/system32/drivers/etc. He account I use is administrator.
I have windows vista home premiun SP1.
By the way a virus altered HOSTS file and can not connect to internet with
firefox, I added 127.0.0.1 to the file in order to make it work.

Thanks  a lot for any help.

0
Fanor

perhaps a freeware called
spybot can help.

first immunize then go to
the tools section and see
if the hosts file is visiable.

in any case here is some
more info:

http://tinyurl.com/yafnssc

--

db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

"Fanor P." <ronaf09@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:34742A8B-C1F4-46F2-B32A-BBE92DE92434@microsoft.com...
> Hi all,
>
> After I  modified  HOSTS  file in another directory I can not replace the one on windows/system32/drivers/etc. He account I use is
> administrator.
> I have windows vista home premiun SP1.
> By the way a virus altered HOSTS file and can not connect to internet with firefox, I added 127.0.0.1 to the file in order to make
> it work.
>
> Thanks  a lot for any help.

0
db
2/19/2010 6:20:57 PM
I did what what is said in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923947, but still
having the message that I can modify HOSTS file.

"db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
> perhaps a freeware called
> spybot can help.
>
> first immunize then go to
> the tools section and see
> if the hosts file is visiable.
>
> in any case here is some
> more info:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yafnssc
>

> --
>
> db���`�...�><)))�>
> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
> - Systems Analyst
> - Database Developer
> - Accountancy
> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
> - Microsoft Partner
> -  @hotmail.com
> ~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen
>

> "Fanor P." <ronaf09@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After I  modified  HOSTS  file in another directory I can not replace the
>> one on windows/system32/drivers/etc. He account I use is administrator.
>> I have windows vista home premiun SP1.
>> By the way a virus altered HOSTS file and can not connect to internet
>> with firefox, I added 127.0.0.1 to the file in order to make it work.
>>
>> Thanks  a lot for any help.

0
Fanor
2/19/2010 6:54:41 PM
perhaps you anti virus is
preventing the alteration.

have you tried the spybot
method.

--

"Fanor P." <ronaf09@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:96CB78EC-035B-4A70-87EC-164EACDD35C3@microsoft.com...
> I did what what is said in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923947, but still having the message that I can modify HOSTS file.
>

> "db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in message news:F1460BE3-65C4-4D5D-8EEC-F19D2BED1E6E@microsoft.com...
>> perhaps a freeware called
>> spybot can help.
>>
>> first immunize then go to
>> the tools section and see
>> if the hosts file is visiable.
>>
>> in any case here is some
>> more info:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/yafnssc
>>

>> --
>>
>> db���`�...�><)))�>
>> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>> - Systems Analyst
>> - Database Developer
>> - Accountancy
>> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>> - Microsoft Partner
>> -  @hotmail.com
>> ~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen
>>

>> "Fanor P." <ronaf09@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:34742A8B-C1F4-46F2-B32A-BBE92DE92434@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> After I  modified  HOSTS  file in another directory I can not replace the one on windows/system32/drivers/etc. He account I use
>>> is administrator.
>>> I have windows vista home premiun SP1.
>>> By the way a virus altered HOSTS file and can not connect to internet with firefox, I added 127.0.0.1 to the file in order to
>>> make it work.
>>>
>>> Thanks  a lot for any help.

0
db
2/19/2010 7:31:32 PM
I was able to modify the HOSTS file and have the next entries:
127.0.0.1    localhost
::1               localhost

But the wireless conexion to internet still doesn't work. Before I run the
antivirus it was connecting.

> perhaps you anti virus is
> preventing the alteration.
>
> have you tried the spybot
> method.
>
> --
>
> db���`�...�><)))�>
> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
> - Systems Analyst
> - Database Developer
> - Accountancy
> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
> - Microsoft Partner
> -  @hotmail.com
> ~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen
>

> "Fanor P." <ronaf09@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I did what what is said in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923947, but
>> still having the message that I can modify HOSTS file.
>>

>> "db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>>> perhaps a freeware called
>>> spybot can help.
>>>
>>> first immunize then go to
>>> the tools section and see
>>> if the hosts file is visiable.
>>>
>>> in any case here is some
>>> more info:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/yafnssc
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> db���`�...�><)))�>
>>> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>>> - Systems Analyst
>>> - Database Developer
>>> - Accountancy
>>> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>>> - Microsoft Partner
>>> -  @hotmail.com
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen
>>>

>>> "Fanor P." <ronaf09@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
Fanor
2/20/2010 1:17:16 AM
Norton or MacAfee by any chance

--
Peter

>I was able to modify the HOSTS file and have the next entries:
> 127.0.0.1    localhost
> ::1               localhost
>
> But the wireless conexion to internet still doesn't work. Before I run the
> antivirus it was connecting.
>
> "db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in message
>> perhaps you anti virus is
>> preventing the alteration.
>>
>> have you tried the spybot
>> method.
>>
>> --
>>
>> db���`�...�><)))�>
>> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>> - Systems Analyst
>> - Database Developer
>> - Accountancy
>> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>> - Microsoft Partner
>> -  @hotmail.com
>> ~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen
>>

>> "Fanor P." <ronaf09@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I did what what is said in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923947, but still
>>> having the message that I can modify HOSTS file.
>>>

>>> "db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

0
Peter
2/20/2010 4:07:34 AM
glad you found a method
to overcome the main
issue.

unfortunately, I gave up
on wireless connectivity
long ago and went the
hard wire method around
my place so I'm not up to
date with wireless
configurations

however, you might first
double check that the
machine is able to
connect to the net via
hard wire.

if the machine is able to
connect to the net via hard
wire,

then working on the wireless
issue is the next step.

otherwise you be putting
the horse before the carriage,
respectfully speaking.

my suggestion is that once
the machine can functionally
connect to the net via hard
wire,

then double check the manuals
for the machine and the wireless
router for the configurations
guidelines.

also, you may be able to
ascertain free technical help
with setting up the wireless
connection from your isp.

let us know how it goes
and don't forget to post your
solution so that others who
pull up your question via the
search engines can follow your
steps.

--

"Fanor P." <ronaf09@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:5609BDF6-23B4-4516-84F5-74174A9695D7@microsoft.com...
> I was able to modify the HOSTS file and have the next entries:
> 127.0.0.1    localhost
> ::1               localhost
>
> But the wireless conexion to internet still doesn't work. Before I run the antivirus it was connecting.
>
> "db" <databaseben at hotmail dot com> wrote in message news:C596C215-B335-4157-8BB3-1B39624D2354@microsoft.com...
>> perhaps you anti virus is
>> preventing the alteration.
>>
>> have you tried the spybot
>> method.
>>
>> --
>>
>> db���`�...�><)))�>
>> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>> - Systems Analyst
>> - Database Developer
>> - Accountancy
>> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>> - Microsoft Partner
>> -  @hotmail.com
>> ~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen
>>

>> "Fanor P." <ronaf09@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:96CB78EC-035B-4A70-87EC-164EACDD35C3@microsoft.com...
>>> I did what what is said in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923947, but still having the message that I can modify HOSTS file.

0
db

Cannot fetch a file from the internet #2
Hi I want to fetch a file from the internet, the url is something like: http://static.flickr.com/44/128880534_8751ed9f1b_s.jpg However static.flickr.com does not accept an http open. The above URL opens up fine in the browser but not http://static.flickr.com. How do i get the image that i want using WinInet library or anyother library/class? Rahul ...

Best way to persist alter table changes in my local DB to web host
Hello. Using SQL Server 2008. I'm developing on my local PC with a copy of the DB that is contained on a web host. Is there a good way when I do an alter table on the local DB to export that change to the web host DB and have "semi-automatically" apply the change to its copy of the table? dontspammenow@yahoo.com (dontspammenow@yahoo.com) writes: > Using SQL Server 2008. I'm developing on my local PC with a copy of > the DB that is contained on a web host. Is there a good way when I do > an alter table on the local DB to export that change to the w...

Error message: This file is corrupt and cannot be opened
I am using Office 07 on Win XP. I was working on several Word projects and they were being saved on my USB. All of a sudden when I tried to open the files they were corrupt. I have no idea what happened. I was copying and pasting from WEB articles to gather research information. Now when I opened my files with Google doc.(option that was given to me to be able to view the doc) and this is what I got. This project is due Tue 12/1 at 5pm. [Content_Types].xml _rels/.rels word/_rels/document.xml.rels word/document.xml word/endnotes.xml word/footnotes.xml word/footer1.xml word/them...

how can I save a multiple page file as multiple JPEG's?
I created a 26 page doc in Pub2003, and want to save each page as a separate JPEG to upload to a site to create a photo book- They do not work with PDF's. How can I save each page separately? I know I can save the entire thing as a JPEG, and but I don't know how to save a page alone. Each page is many-layered and I can't seem to group all the multiple objects... how can you group a large number of objects on a page? I think if I could do that I could right-click and 'save as'. Thanks! -Joanna ...

I can't read the excel an encrypted excel file
I had to reload Win XP from scratch and also Office 2003. Now I can't read my prior Excel files (which were encrypted by Excel) Is there a way? Thanks in advance Ken Take ...

file not found
I have a project which has a file in it that has only one line of code: const char* buildTime = "Built on " __DATE__ " at " __TIME__; When I compile my project, everything compiles fine except for: Updating buildTime buildTime.cxx fatal error C1083: Cannot open compiler generated file: 'Debug\buildTime.obj': No such file or directory Error executing c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe. ARGh....can anyone please tell me how to get this to compile? Thanks, Ike If you are sure there wasn't a compile error somewhere in this file, it may be that, since this file has ...

Money 2004 files to back to Money 2000 program
My computer in Florida has Money 2004. When returning to Wisconsin I tried using the Money 2004 files with my Money 2000 in Wisconsin but the program would not open because it asked for my "Password". I have never used a password before and don't have a password. I have been using Money programs for 5 years and this is the first time I have had any problems. Any ideas? JoeinWisconsin -- -------------------------------------------- Joseph R. Ferris (Joe) E-mail: jferris@tponet.com URL: www.jferris.com ---------------------------------------- In microsoft.public.money...

Exchange 5.5
Hiya, I have a distribution list set up on my Exchange Server (5.5 with SP4, running on NT 4 SP6a) which only has 6 members. Over time though, as staff come and go, members have been added to this DL and then been removed at a later stage. I have a client who is reporting that when they try to email to the distribution list, they get two bounces. The first one is: "Unable to deliver message to the following address(es) /O=COMPANY/OU=EXCHANGE/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=ADDRESS 1. Remote host said: 554 delivery error: This user doesn't have an account" Where ADDRESS 1 is a user that, ...

Removing duplicate files
Hi Is there a good utility to detect duplicate files based on content and then to remove them? Thanks Regards "John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:e6tv247aKHA.5472@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Is there a good utility to detect duplicate files based on content and > then to remove them? > > Thanks > > Regards Google is your friend. Type the following words into a Google search box, then take your pick: Windows duplicate file finder did before coming here...there are a number of them..ca...

? on creating PDF files
To print reports as a PDF file, are the only requirements that a PDF writer is installed on the local machine? Will GP automatically detect this and give you the option to print a PDF file once it is installed? I can't seem to get this to work with Adobe Acrobat 6.0. Thanks DJ, It will work as long as the Adobe PDF printer is the default printer, otherwise, you will have to manually change the Printer Setup in GP BEFORE printing any report to PDF. Once changed, all reports will go to Acrobat PDF by default while you are logged into GP. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MI...

lost files...
Was cleaning up my Outlook...checking files, etc. Since this Outlook is for business, it is loaded with e-mails, forms, etc. To my horror....and I don't believe I did anything...all my files and e-mail from yesterday on...poofed...magic...all gone. Now I know I didn't delete...but I have no clue where they are at this moment. Have been doing a search of my files, thinking they might be playing hide and seek on me. Please...Please...tell me what happened..and how I'm able to rescue this work. Thank you.. Usually cleaning up means deleting. If you've checked all t...

Relative file path for XML data...
Hi, I have imported XML data into a worksheet. When I change the raw xml file and refresh the Excel sheet, everything works fine. However, Excel seems to bind to the absolute path name of the source xml file (Ex. E:\My Documents\Default Data\data.xml). I would like to use relative paths instead, because I need to add this excel sheet into source control and other users may not have the same path as me. Any ideas on how I can do this? Thanks! Vijay ...

Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Dedicated Hosting!!!!!!
PREMIUM WORDPRESS BLOG HOSTING!! -Word press Hosting -Unlimited Domains -Panel Hosting -Unlimited Blogs -$7,95 per month http://minyurl.com/237 ...

Hosting Secure Site
Our business is in need of setting up a dealer portal website which needs to interact with our internal SQL/App server. I know SBS is not the place to host the site so setting up a virtual web server and putting it in some sort of DMZ is the plan thus far. I'm planning on running the site securely (https://) which will conflict with the SBS OWA and RWW. I'd perfer to use the same static IP address so how would I go about setting up and accessing the dealer site given that both will be on port 443? Could I just change the port of the dealer portal? (eg. https://mysite...

File/"copy to Folder" access
I am not able to find the "Copy to Folder" option, under the File dropdown, when replying (or forwarding) a message. I have tried adding it from the "customize" function, but was unsuccessful. Any ideas? What version of Outlook are you using? -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "news.hp.com"...

Slow File Open accesst to files
When using Excel 2002, and file open and going to mapped network drive folder that has 1000 files in it, it takes 4 to 5 minutes for the files to be listed in the file open window. If I go to Windows Explorer and browse this same folder the files are shown right away. On a different PC with Excel 2000, the file open list is populated right away. Any ideas? Roger Konwinski My first suggestion would be to move some of those 1000 files into separate subfolders. Not only will it make excel's life easier, it should make it easier for humans, too. But sometimes cleaning up the windows...

importing a package file
Hello: I know how to use Customization Maintenance in order to import a package file into Great Plains 8.0. I have modified a report here on my laptop for a client that I will be visiting later this week. As far as I know, my laptop's GP is on the same serivce pack as the client. But, just in case, is there any "harm" that can be done in modifying a PO on a separate "workstation" and importing it into a separate environment (i.e. a client site)? In other words, if the client's service pack is higher than the one that I am on, am I better off to modify the...

Excel opens files very slowly
I have an odd problem that is driving me nuts. Computer 1 has no problems with Excel Computer 2 has no problems with Excel Computer 3 is my problem. It opens all files, XLS, DBF, etc, extremely slow. I tried a test on a files named "Results.xls". The file is on a local drive of Computer 3 and is 38kb in size. It has no macros, no links, no filters, nothing. It's a simple spreadsheet consisting of 10C x 35R of data. There are no Add-ins loaded on any of the three PCs, nor is there a Personal.xls file loaded on any of them. I opened the same file one computer at a time on...

hosts file
Hi all, After I modified HOSTS file in another directory I can not replace the one on windows/system32/drivers/etc. He account I use is administrator. I have windows vista home premiun SP1. By the way a virus altered HOSTS file and can not connect to internet with firefox, I added 127.0.0.1 to the file in order to make it work. Thanks a lot for any help. perhaps a freeware called spybot can help. first immunize then go to the tools section and see if the hosts file is visiable. in any case here is some more info: http://tinyurl.com/yafnssc -- db���...

IE* will not download and save .zdl files (Avery DesignPro)
Cannot download and save .zdl files (Avery DesignPro brochure) from our web site using IE8 Version: 8.0.6001.18702. The file is correctly located in the directory and the link is correctly pointing to the file. This used to work before IE8 was installed as my browser. (It works using Firefox 3.6.3. so the directory and link are okay.) Save Target as results in the following error message: “Internet Explorer cannot download FILENAME.zdl from http://www.?????.com.” “Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be fo...

protecting worksheet corrupts file
Ok I this is my situation , I protect a worksheet through a macro and save the file. Open the file up again the sheet says it protected but it dose not save the xlunlockedcells part. I can just run a code that covers that only and it works, but still won't save that part. If I run the protect code more than once the file corrupts. If I protect the sheet manually using the tool bar everything works correctly. This has been the same with two separate computers, I never had this problem with 2003, but it is showing up with the 2007 ver. My question is: is this a common problem, is there a wor...

Hosted exchange opinions
Can anyone comment on hosted exchange services as compared to stand-alone Outlook (not in a server) and Outlook on an in-house server? Would a hosted exchange service make sense for just 2-3 PCs who want to share a calendar and some contact folders? Any major drawbacks? Any feedbakc oni specific hosts? What about SherWeb? http://www.sherweb.com/) Thanks a bunch If you need to share outlook content, including calendars and email, or need to access calendar, contacts, and email from anywhere, hosted exchange makes a lot of sense - even for a single user. IMHO, cost is the only drawback...

downloading .ics calendar files from a website
Hi, I'm trying to offer the ability to download a .ics calendar file from a webpage using Flash. When you click on the link "download the outlook calendar file" in the Flash, it opens a popup window to http://someserver.com/file.ics If I put that there URL directly into a new Internet explorer window, I get prompted "do you want to open or save this file". If, from Flash, I open a popup window with that same URL, the popup opens just fine (it's not popup-blocked), but then it disappears. No suggestions please of what internet options to change, if it doesn't...

Recovery of excel files
I have various excel files on a CD that was orignally placed there with .WKS and my home edition of windows XL will not recognize the extension and open them. can you help Hi *.wks indicates MS Works and not MS Excel files. So you may save them within MS Works as Excel files -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany WA5FMY wrote: > I have various excel files on a CD that was orignally > placed there with .WKS and my home edition of windows XL > will not recognize the extension and open them. can you > help ...

Outlook Express 6 File attachment security. #2
I have Outlook express 6 and can't receive attachments because of the "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" check box is selected. How can I turn this off if the tick box is greyed out. Please can you help Regards Jonathan Pearson ...