general question re jpg files

I have no problem opening jpg files when they reside in an e-mail message or
even in a folder in 'Computer'.  My problem is this, when I go to open a jpg
file on my Desktop, nothing happens until I right click and 'Open with' and
then make a choice.  What don't I understand here.   I'm running Vista Home
Premium, SP2 and up to date with the lastest WU.

Thanks, Dave Horne

0
Dave

"Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote:

>I have no problem opening jpg files when they reside in an e-mail message or
>even in a folder in 'Computer'.  My problem is this, when I go to open a jpg
>file on my Desktop, nothing happens until I right click and 'Open with' and
>then make a choice.  What don't I understand here.   I'm running Vista Home
>Premium, SP2 and up to date with the lastest WU.

What do you choose when using "Open with"? Does that program have a
menu option somewhere to associate itself with JPG?

You can also try selecting "Choose program..." when you use "Open
with". Select the program you want to associate with the file type,
check the "Always use the selected program..." box under the list pf
programs, click OK. The association will be made.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov
"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote:
>
>>I have no problem opening jpg files when they reside in an e-mail message
>>or
>>even in a folder in 'Computer'.  My problem is this, when I go to open a
>>jpg
>>file on my Desktop, nothing happens until I right click and 'Open with'
>>and
>>then make a choice.  What don't I understand here.   I'm running Vista
>>Premium, SP2 and up to date with the lastest WU.
>
> What do you choose when using "Open with"? Does that program have a
> menu option somewhere to associate itself with JPG?
>
> You can also try selecting "Choose program..." when you use "Open
> with". Select the program you want to associate with the file type,
> check the "Always use the selected program..." box under the list pf
> programs, click OK. The association will be made.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
> http://members.cox.net/slatteryt

As I stated, the problem opening a jpg file is _only_ when the file is on
the Desktop.  If I double click the photo, nothing; if I right click and
then 'open with', and choose any of the options, the file opens.

Just now I went to Start \ Default programs and jpg was already associated
with Microsoft Photo Editor.  Even though the program was associated with
Microsoft Photo Editor, I 'saved' it and associated it again to that program
and that seemed to solve my problem.  Problem solved ... at least for now.

Thanks, Dave Horne

0
Dave

Transfering location of pst file?
I wanted to transfer the location where my pst file is stored. I copied it to the new folder and then chose File/Open/Outlook Data File and opened the file in the location it was copied to. Everything looked okay, same data etc.. In looking at the "Modified" column in my Windows Explorer window it appears Outlook is still saving info to it's original location rather than where the new one was opened from. Did I do something wrong? When I copied the pst file to it's new location should I have deleted the original? Thanks... Bob You probably now have two copies of the ...

how do I keep items grouped to save as a .jpg in Publisher?
I have designed an advert in Publisher using text boxes & a picture. I have grouped these but when I try to save them as a Picture in .jpg format only onetext box gets saved. How do I overcome this as I also need to save the image as a .pdf? Save the whole publication as a .jpg. File, save as, files of type, scroll down to .jpg -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "baffled32" <baffled32@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Tabs and Controls
Hi All, I have created an app with a - FormView - 3 Dialogs - Each Dialogs have a List Control How to I get the I get a pointer to the List Control easier than this HWND myWindowHandle = (HWND)m_Tabpages[2]; HWND myHAdapterList = ::GetDlgItem(myWindowHandle,IDC_ADAPTER_LIST); CListCtrl* myAdapterList = (CListCtrl*)FromHandle(myHAdapterList); I am sure it is easy and equally sure i am a fool. Thanks, Iain New Zealand Iain William Wiseman wrote: > Hi All, > > I have created an app with a > > - FormView > - 3 Dialogs > - Each Dialogs have a List Control > >...

exhange server back up-restore question
We have Windows 2003 server with Domain Server. Echange 2000 Server We use regularly back up system for Exchange Server. But to restore for a special date for only one user what should we do? PS. Our back up file's size approx. 80 GB. You don't really have a choice unless you use a 3rd party utility like Quest Recovery Manager. Restore all the data and then Exmerge the specific items you want. I'd also suggest migrating to Exch 2003 if possible as your backup and recovery options are much improved. Nue "ilyas" <ilyas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

publisher 2002 error can not open file
I am using Win 2k Pro and created a book in Pub 2002. I sent it to the printers office to be printed into a book. They have the same OP system and same version of Pub but they keep getting error message "can not open file". I've been reading theads/posts and I see that Norton is what I have but not sure or their virus software. When I burn the CD that I give to them, should I disable script blocking and in Norton Options Office Plug ins on my PC? I will check with them in the morning to be sure they do the same should they use Norton. What if they are using a different vi...

Modal dialog box question #2
Hi, In my application, I have a modal dialog box, and I want that some of the commands from the main menu will be available. (all other events outside the dialog should be blocked - just like a regular modal dilaog). How do I do it ? Yoav. Modality is like pregnancy. Either the dialog box is modal, in which case you can't click the menus or it's modeless in which case you can click any menu item. I suggest you have two choices: 1) keep the dlg modal and place extra buttons on it to represent the commands. On click then pass the command message to the CMainFrame. 2) Make the ...

general question!
Hello there. Outlook XP in a networked environment. When viewing an email (that has an attachment)in the preview pane, I can see the attachment icon on that little header area between the list of emails and the previewed email. However, when I click away to an email that is a reply to a meeting request (that I sent out)and then click back on the attachment-email, in the information viewer the little attachment icon is no longer on the header. Obviously I can still tell if the email in question has an attachment from the information viewer. This is more annoying more than anything els...

OWC10 spreadsheet component question
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding the insertion speed in the Office XP we component's spreadsheet component. I am creating an ASP.NET applicatio where I use the spreadsheet component. I was testing how fast th insertions take place in the component. Everything is happening locall over ASP.NET I did a simple test like so: I have a Worksheet object called sheet; Code ------------------- for (int i = 1; i < 2000; i++) { for (int j = 0; j < 20; j++) { sheet.Cells[i, j] = "test"; } } ------------------- This never finishes...or I never waited till...

Linking with a closed file
I am using the sumif formula to gather info from another wookbook (a data workbook) that is closed. When the data workbook is open, the formulas work fine and pull the info I need...but when the data workbook is closed the formulas just return errors I would like to be able to use these formulas without having the data workbook file open. Any suggestions? From a previous post: I think =sumif() dislikes closed files. But maybe you could rewrite your formula using: =SUM(IF('C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8, 'C:\My Documents\excel\[file m.xls]Sheet1...

merge 2 PDF files into 1 PDF file
I created a booklet using 2- 11 x 17's plus a insert for the booklet using 1- 8.5 x 11. I saved the booklet part as one PDF and the insert as another. Is there a way to merge these 2 PDF's for ease in e- mailing? (Publisher 2002) Thanks, Jim Open the second file; select Print, select your PDF creating program from the Printer drop down menu. Print at the bottom of the print window, select Append and then select the first file. -- Don - PDF-XChange Pro�/PDF-XChange Viewer Pro� Vancouver, USA - http://www.docu-track.com/downloads/users/ "Jim K." <grinmonger@aol.com...

Question from an Idiot
Yes, I think I've asked this before, but my brain has lost the information. Does anyone here use Outlook Express Quick Backup? If so, can you tell me if I can back up to a USB stick, and then carry the stick to another computer, restore the data, and use my OE data? I'll be traveling soon, and I need this ability. Thanks. -- ------------------------------------------ Jeffrey Needle jeff.needle@gmail.com ...

more of a thought question
Hello. This post is more of a thought type posting to see what and how others manage a webapp that needs to be connected to the production db, a clone db for training, a clone for development, a clone for testing, you get the idea here. What concerns me is someone might think they are on the training db but actually on the production db. My first thought is to have some type of display in the header of the masterpage indicating which db the user is connected to (other then the production). Most, if not all of the above variations would be set up by someone in IT (most likely ...

Question about virtual
Hi, when we use Wizard to create a new class. The destructor is generated as "virtual". Can you please explain why is that ? Will it be a problem if we remove virtual keyword ? thanks, You will need a virtual destructor if there is a chance that a child class could be deleted when it is casted to a parent class. class CMyWnd : public CWnd { public: CMyWnd() { m_pInt = new int[100]; } virtual ~CMyWnd() { delete [] m_pInt; } private: int *m_pInt; }; In the following situation: CMyWnd *pMyWnd = new CMyWnd(); CWnd *pWnd = pMyWnd; delete pWnd; //if the destructo...

Signitures Question
I created several signitures using Word, Dreamweaver and writing my own HTML code. When selected in options and loaded, I get the logo but no text. The files are saved in the signiture folder. ...

Adding SchemaReference in the XML file generated by Serialization
Hello all, How do i add the schema reference in the XML file generated by XMl Serialization. My generated XMl file should have the following attribute in the Root Element. <Root Element xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="Dummy.xsd"> I want the xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation the following to be present in the XML file. TIA Manoj Manoj, Simply include a field in the class that writes out the attribute: public class Root { [XmlAttribute( Namespace=""http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance")...

Can't open already opend files since changeover.
Before: Windows XP, Excel 2003. When clicking on a network spreadsheet that someone else has opened, after a second a box comes up giving you the option of opening it in read only, or being notified when the file is closed. Now: Windows 7-64, excel 2007. When clicking on a network spreadsheet that someone else has opened, after a long time, (a minute or more,) a message comes up saying that the file cannot be opened. How can I get the previous behavior? Phil ...

Question on Investing performance calculation
How does Money calculate the Investing performance percentage that shows up in Investing/Investment Tools in Money 2006? While the percentages for Dow Jones and S&P match the newspaper so I assume they are calculated as current price - beginning of year price divided by beginning of year price, that same calculation does not appear to be true for my own investments. I could even verify this a few days into the year, before any pruchases/expenses etc. showed up which could mask the numbers for me. Does anyone know? Thanks! ...

Macro to help update data from protected files
I need help in creating a macro. I have a master file X1 and it connects to 55 other files all password protected. When i open the Master file , it asks the protected fiel to be open to update the data, otherwise it gives error. Can someone help me create a macro which will update the data witout opening the protected fiels one by one. Thanks I don't think you'll find a macro that can do this. But what you could do is create a new workbook that opens each of those 55 other files (supplying the password) and then opens your real workbook. hamad.fatima@gmail.com wrote: > > I ...

re-homing of outlook 97
Hi, I'm actually in the test phase to upgrade to exchange 2k. I've read somewhere that outlook 97 isn't able to re-home itself to a new exchange server. 1- Is it true? 2- Is there a way that we can do that using a login script or some centralized ways? (i don't want to go change it manually on 160 stations!) Thanks! M.Bruyere Exchange 2000 includes CALs for Outlook 2000 and I believe 2002. Why not upgrade to Outlook 2000 at least since Outlook 97 is no longer a supported product? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion i...

A question about CImage
in CDoc CImage m_pImg; in CView ::GlobalLock(HBITMAP(pDoc->m_img)); == NULL GetLastError(); > invalid handler before try to get the handle, I have initialized it successfully, and my OnDraw() can works well. Till I Know CImage is not a Predefined MS MFC Class, are you using some external Library!!! -- With Regards Alok Gupta Visit me at http://alok.bizhat.com "I think this will Help" "ckacka" <ckacka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B320B34E-4D86-4179-88AC-D6E6E08A5BDC@microsoft.com... > in CDoc > CImage ...

General
I created a workbook with several worksheets that are protected and when it is opened it is to go to sheet1 and select cell A10. My problem is that when I open it not only is sheet1/A10 selected but a cell in sheet2 which causes half of each sheet to be visible. Now if I unprotect sheet2 the problem goes away but cells in the two sheets are linked and both need to be protected. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Carl, care to post the code you are using? maybe somebody can see why it is doing that -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Usin...

how to read *.prn / *.txt file and display in crystal report
how to read *.prn / *.txt file and display in crystal report . Can any one knows how to read *.prn / *.txt file and dispaly in report viewer in .net. ...

Sharing a PST file #3
Is it possible to share a PST on a network and have multiple people in the same file at the same time? Thanks beforehand No, you cannot share a pst file as its get file locked by the first user to open it, look here for some tools that may help http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm "Jacques" <Jacques Latoison at hotmail dot com> wrote in message news:uPloZbTxFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to share a PST on a network and have multiple people in the > same file at the same time? > > Thanks beforehand > I just wanted to verify. ...

Rounding question
I'm using Excel 2007 but 'save as' 97-2003 as colleagues have different versions. All number formats are set to 2 decimal places. I'm finding that percentage calculations are rounding up to 2 decimal places but when the result in currency is subtracted from another figure the sum is rounded down. This gives results such as 6 - 3 = 4. I'm sure there must be a simple answer but I can't find it. Hoping someone here knows, as checking all simple calcuations is getting ridiculous ! Carrie "Carrie" <pantscarolyn.smith2@ntlworld.com> w...

vbAdvance general dll problem
I want to create a plugin for an external application in VB6. To do this I create a regular dll, export the necessary functions and compile the dll. So far so good. The problem comes when I developed a second plugin (also in vb6 with vbAdvance) and try to load both in the external application. The first plugin is loaded fine, but the second fails with error 998 (ERROR_NOACCESS). I traced the problem to the code that starts the required vb stuff, in MRuntimeInit: ... pGetClass = GetProcAddress(hMod, "DllGetClassObject") If pGetClass Then CopyMemory pCall, InitDelegato...