FINALLY - SOMEONE PROVIDES a FREE USENET/NEWSGROUPS SERVER W/TENS OF THOUSANDS GROUPS!

www.eternal-september.org

Servername = news.eternal-september.org
You must register first at their Website, and unlike some creepy commercial
organizations, this is ran by true old-school techies, University Students &
enthusiasts, for FREE.
I've been hunting down for free newsgroups for approx. a ayear since my
provider dropped Usenet.

I did find lengthy directories of free/cheap groups whose owner eithger
carelessly forgot to enable user identification or for whatever reason,
so-called free.
They all last a limited time and then someone "closes the backdoor".
Or their Server Farm is so limited, allowing access to a few thousand
groups, no wonder it's free.
Or you can read but not post
And so on.

But news.eternal-september.org I found today is hard to believe.
There're no binaries (which is good anyway - binary groups are attended
mostly by perverts or software pirates), no junk.
You're required to abide by Usenet Ethiquitte - another good point.
All hail to news.eternal-september.org

I just wish they make some money to keep project going on.
Tonight I checked their coverage is in TENS of THOUSANDS of Newsgroups all
free, why pay?

You know over the years I found ming-boggling stuff only few aware (even
now), I don't pay retail, I simply DON'T.
I use brains.
And so should you guys.

0
Stan

Stan Starinski wrote:

> www.eternal-september.org

SNIP

> I've been hunting down for free newsgroups for approx. a ayear since my
> provider dropped Usenet.

SNIP

> You know over the years I found ming-boggling stuff only few aware (even
> now), I don't pay retail, I simply DON'T.
> I use brains.
> And so should you guys.

In all the time you've posted here, you just now found this?
Way to go, paperbag engineer.

--
Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur.

Stan Starinski wrote:
> www.eternal-september.org

> I use brains.
> And so should you guys.
0
Charlie
11/28/2009 2:30:10 AM
Stan Starinski wrote:

Deekhead, I didn't care for this until now BECAUSE MY PROVIDER PROVIDED
USENET AS PART OF SERVICE, OK DEEEEPSHEEET???

So why did you say:

QUOTE : I've been hunting down for free newsgroups for approx. a ayear since
my provider dropped Usenet.

I'm just gonna ignore you for now on, as you appear to be a confused rabbit.
All kinds of foolishness spews forth from you.

--
Vita brevis breviter in brevi finietur,
Mors venit velociter quae neminem veretur.
0
Death
11/28/2009 4:06:23 AM
Kevin's
0
Stan
11/28/2009 4:10:22 AM
Deekhead, I didn't care for this until now BECAUSE MY PROVIDER PROVIDED
USENET AS PART OF SERVICE, OK DEEEEPSHEEET???

0
Stan
11/28/2009 4:11:10 AM
Deekhead, I didn't care for this until now BECAUSE MY PROVIDER PROVIDED
USENET AS PART OF SERVICE, OK DEEEEPSHEEET???

0
Stan
11/28/2009 4:11:14 AM
You sound jealous, Death.
And your name is more idiotic than Kevin's Bone.
0
Stan
11/28/2009 4:16:57 AM
BECAUSE HE WAS CONFUSED!
0
Stan
11/28/2009 4:59:13 AM
Yes
0
Stan

SQL Server Error when going offline MS CRM 4.0
Hi We have quite a few problems with the MS CRM 4.0 Offline Client. When our customer tries to go offline he gets always an SQL Server Error. When we execute the diag tool it shows us that something is wrong with the sync. After executing the repair it works fine and we can go offline without any troubles. The strange thing is, that it does not work on the next day. Then we get the same error again. The only solution is to execute the repair.... We are working for quite a long time together with ms support, but unfortunately they couldn't help us so far. We also have installed several ...

Static on dialog won't draw w/ parent's font
I have an app that uses a lot of dialogs, but all the dialogs pretty much use 3 basic fonts. All the dialogs are derived from my base dialog class, which is derived from CDialog. So in my base dialog class's OnInitDialog(), I put the following: m_fontBig.CreatePointFont(720, _T("Tahoma")); m_fontMain.CreatePointFont(360, _T("Tahoma")); m_fontTips.CreateFont(-12, 0, 0, 0, 0, TRUE, 0, 0, DEFAULT_CHARSET, OUT_DEFAULT_PRECIS, CLIP_CHARACTER_PRECIS, DEFAULT_QUALITY, DEFAULT_PITCH | FF_DONTCARE, _T("Tahoma")); And in my sample dialog's OnInitDialog(), when it...

SMTP Server
Dumb question, but how does one increase the timeout for the Outlook SMTP server? It's easy in Pegasus, for instance, because one can actually set the timeout for each identity within the program. Appreciate any help. TIA russel-rstevenageatyahoodotcom Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627) Thanks russel neo [mvp outlook] wrote: > What version of Outlook are you using? (See help | about ms outlook) > > "NoSpam" <noSpam@all.pl> wrote in message > news:OOUxgYhYDHA.3248@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > >>Dumb question, but how does one increa...

help moving to new exchange server
Hi i have hopefully a quick and easy question. we are in the process of migrating our exchange 5.5 server, to exchange 2003. what i need as a quick easy way to modify everyones outlook profile to point to the new server. the new server is in a whole new org, and with a new name. we are using outlook 98,2000,xp, and 2003 i'm leaning towards using the .prf files, but what i am hoping is that someone else has done this and has some scripts already made :) Thanks for any help anyone can give. Where do you get stuck with creating a prf-file? A better way to do it is by using the foll...

Printing Adobe forms via a terminal server
We have many remote Great Plains users (connecting on the road or at home). While in the main office and connected directly to the network, a user can print a form (i.e. sales order) to the screen, and then select 'send to' and email the form to a customer or vendor. However, if a user is connected to the terminal services server, (Adobe is installed on that server as well), the form cannot be generated in the Adobe format. What else has to be done? It will enhance our procedures tremendously if a salesperson could email their sales order directly to the customer while on th...

Outlook Connector on free Hotmail account
I use outloook 2007 on vista ultimate sp1. I would like to be able to use outlook to send and receive all of my hotmail emails. I tried the outlook connector but it never actually connects to my account. if I click the connector toolbar it shows mail, calendar, and contacts all with the same status of "Connecting" although it never actually does. I know that the calendar function is only available to subscribers. I called ms support and the guy told me I would have to have a paid account to use the connector. To my understanding, the connector is supposed to allow free accoun...

RemoteApp not working on Windows server 2008 Standard Edition
Hi All, Requirement: We want to give access to 3 users to 1 application on our server & we don't want users to access any other items on server. Evironment: Has 1 windows 2008 server standard with TS Sever installed in "Per User" mode and we already purchased and installed 5 user CALs on this server. Issue: All the 3 users are able to access the server apps from all the computers which are inside the network (irrespective whether they are joined to domain or not) however, from few computers when users are trying to run the RemoteApp session they are getti...

Server drive failed
I have a single server installation running Exchange 5.5 The hard drive failed and I need to restore from tape backup. A recent backup log shows the following Exchange files that were skipped and not backed up. How can I recover Exchange without these files? If I can not recover, is there a way to retreive messages? The item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\DIR.EDB in use - skipped. The item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\edb.log in use - skipped. The item \exchsrvr\DSADATA\temp.edb in use - skipped. The item \exchsrvr\dxadata\edb.log in use - skipped. The item \exchsrvr\dxadata\TEMP.EDB in use - skipped. The item \exc...

Restoring Exchange Srv back to alternative server in diff domain
I have an exchange 2003 backup which was backed up using NTbackup - is in the format bkf. How do I restore that backup on another exchange server on separate domain? I have tried the method 3 as suggested at the following url: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823176 but while trying to restore from the backup I get the following error: "unable to create the log path. Check to make sure that it is a valid path" When restoring I am trying to restore to a different server in my new domain called Be1 while my original exchange server was called Ex. Also on...

need to add/remove characters over thousands of cells
I have thousands of payroll records that are imported into excel on a daily basis. The cost codes appear like this: 7002/1045.824240305 The 7002/ needs to be removed and a . (dot) inserted five from the end like this: 1045.8242.40305 Please note there are hundreds of different cost codes so I cannot simply copy and paste but they must all be coverted so the format is the same. I am desperate for suggestions. cheers, Nadia Try this formula: =MID(A1,FIND("/",A1,1)+1,LEN(A1)) Then use a custom format to get the dot in there. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www....

high disk queue and pages/sec activity on mailbox servers
we have 3 Exchange 2003 mailbox servers that house our mailboxes. Exch1 and Exch2 house the majority of our mailboxes. On these two servers, I am seeing a high instance continually of DiskQueue and Pages/sec values while not so on Exch3. As an added note, we also have BES enterprise and Enterprise Vault in our environment. I only mention those because they interface with the mailboxes but my gut tells me that the problem is more related to the number of mailboxes on Exch1 and Exch2....Anyway, I'm new to troubleshooting Exchange so I'm looking for experienced directio...

Scrolling differences b/w Excel 97-2003 and new Excel07
We have just migrated to the 07 version with 'ribbons' etc. and I have saved my spreadsheets to the new version. The scroll bars (horizontally & vertically) seem to have shrunk and are very sensitive such that you scroll past your last column out towrds column XXJ and vertically scrolling past the last row too quickly. How can I adjust this such thatthe right and bottom positions represent the vicinity of the end of my data. I have tried selecting all vacant columns and rows outside of my data area to delete <ctrlshift -> and reduce the scroll area to just my data ar...

running DHCP and WDS on same server
Hi, Got no answer in the MCITP group itself so I'm asking here. Studying for the 70-649 I am looking at the situation where there is a DHCP server and WDS on the same server. Situation is either a non-MS DHCP server or using wdsutil to manualy install wds. Supposedly now the wds and dhcp are fighting over port 67 and I am supposed to disable listening to port 67 "on the server" and enable option 60 on the DHCP scope. ----------<quote>----------------------------- If you are running Windows Deployment Services and a non-Microsoft DHCP server on the same computer...

Single Routing Group vs. Multiple RGCs
On the bottom of Page 49 of the Microsoft document "Planning an Exchange 2003 Messaging System" (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9fc3260f-787c-4567 -bb71-908b8f2b980d&displaylang=en) It talks about routing group design as copied here: "the best practice is to start with a single routing group and add routing groups only when necessary. If your organization contains only a single group of servers and those servers have reliable, high-bandwidth, permanent connections, one routing group is all that is required. If, however, any of the following factor...

Front End Servers?
Hello, Do I need to run the Enterprise version of Exchange in order to use a Front-End server in 2000? How about 2003? Thanks, Troy 2000 - the Back-end servers do not need to be Enterprise, but in order to make a server a FE server, it must be Enterprise 2003 - both Enterprise and Standard can be FE servers. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Troy Bruder" <troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O5S$NmupEHA.2604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Do I need to run the Enterprise version of Exchange in order to use a > Front-End server in 2000? How...

How Do I Resize an Option Group so It Displays Horizontally?
Hello, I'm using Access 2003 and am relatively new to it. In a form, I've created an option group with 15 check boxes. The group is vertical, which I don't want. I'd prefer, if possible, for the group to be horizontal. Actually, I'd really prefer three rows with five options each. Is it possible to resize the option group, or configure it in such a way that it spreads out horizontally on the form, rather than vertically? When I try to resize it in design mode, nothing happens. Thank you! T. Hulot Yes it is quite easy to do it in design mode in the form. Select th...

Grouping on Partial numbers
I have a field containing a variable-length string from 8 -17 characters. My difficulty is that when I sort them, I would like to group them based on on the section of digits just before the last. The last digit may represent a change to the original. For example, the first three entries would be grouped together: 123 (=original number) 123 1 (a modification to the original 123) 123 2 (a second modification to the original 123) These would also be grouped together but are of a different format. P123555 P123555 1 P123555 2 Any ideas how to achieve this grouping would be appreciated. ...

Excel should provide an easy way to switch a column into a row, n.
A very useful feature for Excel would be the ability to easily switch a column of data into a row. This would allow a column of entries to be used as a row of headers, for example. Excel already allows switching a column into a row in the charting area, but not in the spreadsheet. One can work around this by exporting the column into Word, changing the delimiter between fields from a paragraph mark (normally hidden) to a comma, then re-importing the data into Excel - which will then be as a row. This would also allow Access to import the former column into a row, which could then be...

SQL Server 2000 Disable Ad-Hoc Access
We recently had an audit done and they came back from some ESM tool and said that this should be disabled. Here are my questions: 1. Why? Does anyone know? 2. The only thing I could find that this is in reference too is when using Linked Servers. We don't use any linked servers on this box. Is there any other time this would come into play? 3. I assume if the linked servers is the only time, then basically it is saying I just couldn't open query analyzer and execute a query against the linked server, it would have to come from a compiled stored procedure. Is that ...

Can a white background in a B/W image turn clear in Publisher3000?
is there anything similar to the magic wand in Adoby Photoshop? I'm trying to have only the black image sit over a colored background (by clearing the white background in the picture). Sam S wrote: > is there anything similar to the magic wand in Adoby Photoshop? I'm trying to > have only the black image sit over a colored background (by clearing the > white background in the picture). I haven't tried Publisher 3000, as it's not due to be released for another 994 years. Publisher 2002 and 2003 can do this with the Transparency Wand, found on the Picture toolb...

Outlook 2003 w/BCM
We upgraded from Office 2000 and installed Office 2003 with Business Contact Manager. The issue is Business Contact Manager is no where to be found in Outlook. No toolbars or any reference to BCM. Any suggestions or known issues? Thanks Do you have Exchange in the profile using the BCM? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | We upgraded from Office 2000 and installed Office 2003 | wi...

Migrating Exchange 5.5 on WinNT to a Win2K server running Exch 2K
I am new to the Exchange game. I have a WinNT machine running Exchange 5.5 and I need to migrate the users and mail to a machine running Server 2K and Exchange server 2000. Exmerge doesn't work on the NT machine due to OS restrictions. How can I Copy/Past or Migrate all of the users and mail from one to the other. They are running on different domains and are able to see each other through Network Neighborhood. Is there a way of backing up and restoring ? Please any help is very much appreciated as I am new to the company and this migration is a very big project. ...

Looking for someone
I'm just looking for a guy to talk too, maybe hook up with? Anyone? http://www.gjef.com ...

Outlook stucks on retrieving data from exchange server and freeze
Intermittently the outlook giving error " Retrieving data from exchange server" and it stucks there for a while and then freezes and need to close the outlook and it is happening quite often now. "tsp1gms" wrote: > Intermittently the outlook giving error " Retrieving data from exchange > server" and it stucks there for a while and then freezes and need to close > the outlook and it is happening quite often now. Hi, When you check,is your Outlook offline when you get this error? And is your connection to your exchange server RP...

Client vs server rules
How do you change rules to read form the server rather than the client? Thanks, Mich It's controlled by outlook and depends on the wording of the rule - you have little control over it. http://www.slipstick.com/rules/serverbased.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http...