Files in folder Windows.old in Vista

I have installed Ultimate on a Business version and then received the
Windows.old folder. I want to delete it but have found same working files in
old path than in  the new. It appears that Windows updates the working files
in both folders. Are they mirrored or copies. I changed the name of one file
in old - corresponding file in the new folder received the same name. If I
delete files from Windows.old will they be deleted from current folder too?

"HBj" <HBj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have installed Ultimate on a Business version and then received the
> Windows.old folder. I want to delete it but have found same working files
> in
> old path than in  the new. It appears that Windows updates the working
> files
> in both folders. Are they mirrored or copies. I changed the name of one
> file
> in old - corresponding file in the new folder received the same name. If I
> delete files from Windows.old will they be deleted from current folder
> too?

No, I've deleted Windows.old from my machine with no ill efects.

0
PvdG42
2/13/2010 5:05:55 PM
On Feb 13, 10:26=A0am, HBj <H...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have installed Ultimate on a Business version and then received the
> Windows.old folder. I want to delete it but have found same working files=
 in
> old path than in =A0the new. It appears that Windows updates the working =
files
> in both folders. Are they mirrored or copies. I changed the name of one f=
ile
> in old - corresponding file in the new folder received the same name. If =
> delete files from Windows.old will they be deleted from current folder to=
o?

USE DISK CLEANUP 2 GET RID OF THAT FOLDER!
0
Kevin

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Access 2000 on Vista 08-20-07
Hi, Just bought new laptop with Vista Home Premium and have installed Office 2000. Access gives VirtualBasic Compilation error - "cant find project or library" when trying to resolve references. Tools/references is greyed out Is there anything that can be done to rectify this problem (e.g.copy across the reference (.dll?) files from WIN XPPro where everything works fine), or is it a basic unresolvable office2000/Vista incompatibility? Thanks in advance Hugh thanks Tom - apologies for duplicate posting - did the 2nd one via M/S web communities without relising it was the s...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Delete old vendors
How can I delete old vendors. I know I can do it with GP, but I want it to be date sensitive, say any vendor that has not been used in 2 years. curtis, you could start by running a Vendors Smartlist. Add the 'Last Purchase Date" and/or "Last Check Date" to the SmartList and filter by one of those columns. That should give you a list of Vendors to consider deleting. It would really be nice if the Mass Delete function allowed selection of vendors by Last Purchase Date but alas, it does not. Good luck, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dyn...

Windows Tablet INK Macro
I'm developing a DMR solution on a Tablet with Windows Tablet XP and Office 2007. I need to use a button on a form to turn on and off the INK pen. When I try to just record a macro it causes Excel to get a hang and crash. Can you give me a code snippet to turn on the INK pen? Thanks for your help, Greg -- ...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Windows Update Failures
Running Windows XP Pro, SP3 and Office 2007 Ultimate. I have five updates that will not install. I am getting three different error codes. I have searched the web and this message board for a solution to no avail. I have tried installing each one individually, in groups (e.g. Office 2007 group and Windows XP group), as well as trying to install all five together. Regardless, I always get the same error codes on each of these. Below are the updates and the error codes received for each one. Appreciate any help to get over this issue. Windows XP - Microsoft .NET Framewo...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

WLM for Vista
Hello. when I try to start up messenger I get a error message like this: a problem caused by a unknown problem stopped wlm to run. the program will be shut down and you will receive å message if a solution is accessable. first I get a message that I have to delete this file: actils.dll or something in C: programfiles/AGI/Common/actils.dll to get internet explorer to work. Because WLM stop working at the same time as internet explorer stop working...I have try to delete this file and reinstall WLM but it still dont work. internet is offline to. What is wrong?? I download the...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

Sharing Outlook Folder
I have one email account(from my ISP) that I share with my wife. In Outlook that I have set up for her in her own XP user account, I have a rule that filters incoming email to put all my emails into a separate folder. Can I now access this folder from Outlook when I am using my own XP user account (on the same PC)? This would make life simpler. Yes, place the pst-file on a location both can access. Then when you start Outlook it will prompt you for the location of the pst-file. Browse to the new loaction of the pst-file and hit OK. Do the same for the other account and direct it to t...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...

Converting a file Money 2001 --> Money 2005 Help!!
Hi, I've downloaded the trial for Money 2005 Deluxe. I was previously using Money 2001 (standard). I get an error --------------------------- Microsoft Money --------------------------- Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I've tried renaming the file and opening as someone suggested on the group somewhere which I couldn't get to work. So I downloaded the 2004 trial and converted it to 2004 which worked ok. I then tried to upgrade my new 2004 file to 2005 which failed again....

Permission to public folders
I am having a problem determining where I would grant full access/rights to the top level Public Folders tree in exchange manager. I basically want an Outlook user in Outlook to be able to right click on the top level Public Folder tree and select New Folder. Right now that selection is greyed out. The only place users can create new folders is under the All Public Folders subtree. Thank you for the help. Brian, A new public folder tree has to be created through ESM. This dependency exists because you must associate a public folder tree with a public folder store. Teo "Brian&q...

File in Use
I am using Excel 2002 XP - SP2 When I go to open up the workbook 'money' I get the following message pop up: File in Use money.xls is locked for editing by Bill Chatfield there are 3 buttons on the right of the message box read only notify cancel I have no idea why it started doing this a few days ago. I have been using this workbook for years. I check the properties and it is not 'read only' or 'hidden' and once I re-boot it will open fine and then for no apparent reason I get the above message again. The only thing I can think of that MIGHT be related to this ...