Extended boot time since November 2009 Updates

Since I installed 4 Windows Updates on 25 November (KB973688, 973687, 976098,
976470), the time taken to boot-up has extended from 1 minute to over 9
minutes - of which about half shows the white 'intel' block logo and the
remainder is a black screen (which could well lead a less-patient user to
conclude it's a ;black screen of death'!).
I've tried both uninstalling the Updates and System Restoring, but to no
avail.
However, I've also noticed that the narrative associated with the first of
the updates above (MS XML Core Services 4.0 SP2) says: 'Once you have
installed this item, it cannot be removed'. Therefore I suspect that this is
the cause of the problem.
Can anything be done to eliminate it - as I can't put up with such a long
boot-up!!!

"John Edwards" <JohnEdwards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A7C26C6C-AC55-4B99-9E43-9D09A5BDF87D@microsoft.com...
> Since I installed 4 Windows Updates on 25 November (KB973688,
> 973687, 976098,
> 976470), the time taken to boot-up has extended from 1 minute to
> over 9
> minutes - of which about half shows the white 'intel' block logo and
> the
> remainder is a black screen (which could well lead a less-patient
> user to
> conclude it's a ;black screen of death'!).
> I've tried both uninstalling the Updates and System Restoring, but
> to no
> avail.
> However, I've also noticed that the narrative associated with the
> first of
> the updates above (MS XML Core Services 4.0 SP2) says: 'Once you
> have
> installed this item, it cannot be removed'. Therefore I suspect that
> this is
> the cause of the problem.
> Can anything be done to eliminate it - as I can't put up with such a
> long
> boot-up!!!

If the Intel logo is showing it is in the BIOS not windows.

0
Frank
12/5/2009 4:57:58 AM
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 23:57:58 -0500, Frank-FL wrote:

> "John Edwards" <JohnEdwards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:A7C26C6C-AC55-4B99-9E43-9D09A5BDF87D@microsoft.com...
>> Since I installed 4 Windows Updates on 25 November (KB973688,
>> 973687, 976098,
>> 976470), the time taken to boot-up has extended from 1 minute to
>> over 9
>> minutes - of which about half shows the white 'intel' block logo and
>> the
>> remainder is a black screen (which could well lead a less-patient
>> user to
>> conclude it's a ;black screen of death'!).
>> I've tried both uninstalling the Updates and System Restoring, but
>> to no
>> avail.
>> However, I've also noticed that the narrative associated with the
>> first of
>> the updates above (MS XML Core Services 4.0 SP2) says: 'Once you
>> have
>> installed this item, it cannot be removed'. Therefore I suspect that
>> this is
>> the cause of the problem.
>> Can anything be done to eliminate it - as I can't put up with such a
>> long
>> boot-up!!!
>

> If the Intel logo is showing it is in the BIOS not windows.

Which reminds me: in the old days, some computers had a quick-test or
quick-boot option in the BIOS which used a much quicker memory test during
POST.

The full memory test took a pretty long time.

Perhaps the OP has that option, and perhaps it got turned off.

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0

VBA code for MsgBox AND WorkSheet Active at same time
Need the VBA code to assist me with the following: I want to use a message box to instruct the user to select a range, and be able to do so, on the worksheet with the message box.still on top. If I may, in addition, I would like to capture that range to a variable to be used subsequently in the following VBA code. Is this possible? TIA Dennis on the VBE toolbox select refedit and put it in a userform. for more info look in Help. Dennis wrote: > Need the VBA code to assist me with the following: > > I want to use a message box to instruct the user to select a range, and b...

HELP ! Windows Server 2003 SP2 boots indefinitely
Hello, Since the last Microsoft Update (last week) two of my servers Windows server 2003 SP2, where the update was accepted, boot and reboot indefinitely. The other servers Win 2003 which didn't accept the update are running fine. How can I get rid of this last update ? Or can we correct this awful bug? I need your help ! Thanks You can uninstall it from the recovery console. From the recovery console command line navigate to; %SystemRoot%\$NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$\spuninst where xxxxxx is the KB article number you want to uninstall. and execute BATCH spuninst.t...

How to update Access MDB via XML Schema?
I have an Access MDB that I have created via VB .NET, thus it is an emply database. I have an XML Schema file (.XSD) that has the schema for the database, how do I get the XML Schema into the Access MDB? I have code that loads, or seems to do so, the XML Schema into a DataSet object, but how do I update the Access MDB with this DataSet Object? A code example if you please. ...

calculating Week numbers in a time table
I have a weekly timetable table for school terms with the following fields WeekID (automatic number), WkbeginDate (date), WkNo ( number 1 or 2). The WkNo can be either 1 or 2 . How can I get the Wkno field to automatically update with the correct week number for each new record ie if a record has week value 2 the next record will have a WkNo value of 1? I would prefer to do this using a query rather than a form. The timetable is not for the whole year and has 'holiday' breaks, sometimes restarting on a week 2, sometimes on a week 1. Hope this makes sense! Hilarys =?Utf-8?B?SGls...

inerting the time in excel sheets
how to insert time in the excel sheet i do want to know the way of short cut of it using control key Use CTRL+SHIFT+: -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "satish" <satish@bahls.com> wrote in message news:051a01c3de0c$58625900$a001280a@phx.gbl... > how to insert time in the excel sheet i do want to know > the way of short cut of it using control key ...

Excel:I set the font color to be "Red". Next time file is open, f.
Say I sent the font color to Red in the cell. The next time I open the file, the font color in the cell changes? Why Maybe you didn't save the file? >-----Original Message----- >Say I sent the font color to Red in the cell. The next time I open the file, >the font color in the cell changes? Why >. > ...

Validating added time and privious rec
I have a UserForm to register working hours. How can I restrict the input so that the user cannot write working hours twice the same date and same time? Say first time he writes overtime from 16:00 to 18:00 and than he writes 17:00 to 19:00 the very same date. That would be wrong, right? He might have started again later that day say at 19:30 to 21:00 hrs. That should be accepted by the program. How can I prevent errors (with vba code) here? Thank you for your help. Regards ...

Outlook 2003...SEND problem...does not send the 1st time
I have the following problem all the time,..I go to send email and it gives me a time out error. I then press send again right after the error message and it sends the email immediately. This is really annoying because I have to wait for the timeout every time I send email. There are no server issues etc. I have all my files archived weekly so there is not a tremendous amount of data it has to sift through. If anyone could PLEASE help I would greatly appreciate it! How are you authenticating to the outgoing server? tools, accounts, select the acct then click change - look at the m...

date and time
I need some help. I'm trying to put a formula in a cell to ready onl the date. When i set the date and type in 02162005 it gives me a dat for 5/14/19. how can I fix it for it to show todays date in that on cell. Yeah i can use control, ; but i have multiple users and don know that much of excel. so im trying to set it up for when they typ in the date it would appear todays date or the date they want to use. for example I want today's date 02162005 to appear as 2/16/2005 in th cell. Help please !!!!!!!! :confused -- ladimples24 -----------------------------------------------------...

Extender
Is the Extender Product just for version 8? I looked in Download and couldn't find version 7.5. thanks! -- Doug Extender was not owned by Microsoft before version 8 I believe. You may be able to get it from its original distributor - eOne Business Solutions Website is here - www.eonesolutions.com.au Regards, Colin Stevenson Computer Applications "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3213B6B3-7447-493C-ACBD-CCD6C9B07D6C@microsoft.com... > Is the Extender Product just for version 8? I looked in Download and > couldn't find version...

Try on that correction update which comes from the M$ Corp.
--oprhocvimo Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="chztzoquudtjnxi"; type="multipart/alternative" --chztzoquudtjnxi Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="wpyouqfjauxclc" --wpyouqfjauxclc Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install no...

pausing macro while cells update
I have a spreadsheet with some Reutes Wealth Manager formulas. I wish to change the RIC code in some of these cells and then check if the code is valid. For this i need to pause the macro while the cell/s update. If i use Application.wait then everything pauses and the cells do not update. I guess i need to find out what the code is to refresh the Reuters links Any ideas will be gratefully recieved -- with kind regards Spike You can insert this snippet in where you need to pause. It will operate on tenths of seconds as well as whole seconds. i.e. 1 for whole, 0.1 ...

Excel Spreadsheet to Visio Flow chart
Has anyone heard of or familiar with taking an existing spreadsheet and using it to create a flowchart in visio - I think it was created using the Org Chart wizard. The thing is, the creator of this chart is no longer with the company and now it is time to update the flow chart. The person responsible now is making the changes in Excel, however they are not showing (not updating automatically) in Visio . There does not appear to be any "update links" message in either application after save and re-open. With some picking through the software, I was not able to find any macros, b...

user receiving updates to conference room object
I have a customer that has a lawyer that was with a firm for quite a while. They schedule out their conference room for meetings with customers. The lawyer has left the firm, but wishes to receive email sent to her old address. I created a contact with her new address and forwarded the email to the contact. That works great. Problem is that whenever there is an appointment in the conference room, she gets a notification of the appointment, whether she was a contact for it or now. To say the least she is getting irratated about this and the last thing I need is an irratated lawyer on my ha...

Extend PST size after Outlook 2007 upgrade
Looking at a user's Outlook on their home PC. Originally they had Outlook XP, then upgraded to Outlook 2003 and recently to Outlook 2007. Their PST still hits that 2GB limit at times so they periodically archive older emails/folders. My understanding is that there is a 20GB limit on Outlook 2007. Why am I still hitting the 2GB barrier? Does the PST not get converted to the new format when an upgrade is performed on an older PST? What is the best way to convert their PST to the new format so the 2GB limit issue goes away? Thanks. Bill Upgrade installations of Out...

Time interval at which MS CRM E-mail Router Service works
Hi, Can anyone please let me know the frequency (or time interval) at which Microsoft CRM E-mail Router Service works or processes requests from the mailbox? Thanks in advance and help appreciated. Bharat Chawla ...

Extended Description
We have created many items in HQ, after we do synchronization with the Store we can see some of the Items Extended Description has been truncated to 30-35 Characters in Store and HQ. How can we solve this problem? Hi Rainu, there are 2 thngs which you can do to check this one the log of HQ Server (Sync Log) and the 2nd is to check the sync process using the SQL Profile this is only possible if you have enterprise edition of sql server, I do always use this and find many of my problem solutions. "Rainu Jacob" wrote: > We have created many items in HQ, after we do synchroni...

Time sheet Wrong posting values
Dears, I am facing a probelm while posting Time sheet from (Time Card Entry) and they are using (Enter duration hours/minutes) after posting it shows the date of entry (from date) is 00/00/0000 and the (to date) is 00/00/1900. and it shows a negative value in the (Cost put into the WIP) from Manufacturing order variance inqury. please advice, ...

automatic office updates
Is there a way to configure a PC to receive Office Updates automatically like Windows Update? Thanks. Jeff Via MicrosoftUpdate as apposed to windowsupdate, and then configuring how you update. eg automatic or download and notify "J Miller" <jmiller@*nospam*pcsdps.org> wrote in message news:456db17c$0$81355$ae4e5890@news.nationwide.net... > Is there a way to configure a PC to receive Office Updates automatically > like Windows Update? > > Thanks. > > > Jeff > > Yes. Microsoft updates does this. What version of Office do you use? -- Diane...

Query table not updating as expected
Hi, I have a table concerning Lab Tests which I present using a form. One of the fields in this table is called Test Status where the user can select the status via a combo box. Under this combo I have a label box which shows a summary of the status for the entire table e.g. OK: 10, NOT_OK: 1, NOT_TESTED: 5. When the combo box is changed, I issue a function to change this label. This function does something like this - Private Sub UpdateLabelTestScriptStatus() Dim recordSetTestSuiteStatus As DAO.Recordset Set recordSetTestSuiteStatus = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Select * from qryT...

Extend Volume
Hello, I did an extension of system partition on a server 2008 x64 SP1 which ends with a "wrong parameter" failure at end. Disk management console shows up the new size but within explorer and drive properties window still it has the old size. I did a reboot and disk check (with no errors) - no changes. Eventlog doesn't show any relevant informations. Any help would be appreciated. Hi Thunder, Solution 1 - Delete problem partition - Create new partition - Restore partition data from backup If Solution 1 doesn't work, then Solution 2 - Wipe the disk ...

Datetime
Hi all ! Is it possible to have a datetime field but only displying the time. I know that only displying the date is possible, also to display date and time, but I didn't find the way to display only the time. In the system entity "Service", there is a field called "begining at" only displaying a time information, but no way to reproduce a custom field like that it in the soft. Any aidea? Thank you very much... ...

Excel worksheet programming for time restrictions.
I have several cells (properties) that will be visible or not depending on the time of day. I am using VBA to set the value of the properties and need a way to use not just the TIME function to establish the system time but, a way to test for a period of time, for example the DAY SHIFT, SWING SHIFT AND GRAVEYARD SHIFT. Using If Then Else conditional statements to test the system time to a span of time to indicate the shifts aforesaid. What I am not clear on is the syntax in VBA to use when identifying the shifts and testing for conditions met. HElP? Is this any help? Dim tim0800 Dim ...

Subtract Time
Hi I have a column "A1" to "A300" with time data (06:19:21), how can I subtract a half hour? The seconds should not be relevant in the final column. Thank you -- smile On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:34:01 -0700, israel <israel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi I have a column "A1" to "A300" with time data (06:19:21), how can I >subtract a half hour? The seconds should not be relevant in the final column. > >Thank you Try the following formula: =FLOOR(G17-1/48,1/1440) Hope this helps / Lars-�ke On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:03:43 GMT, L...

Extender-Adding Buyer Information to POP Blank Form Header
I have added an extender window to the Buyer Maintenance window, to include email address, phone number, fax number, etc. (Cards>Purchasing>Buyer) I would like to print this information in the Header of the POP Purchase Order Blank form. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Using V9 on SQL thanks! -- Doug There is an article, KB 904575, that has pretty good directions on adding extender fields to a report. But the article has a missing step in it. In Calculated Field 2, there should be a step 3 just like step 3 in Calculated Field 1, which changes the result type to string...