DVD drive spinning up

How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use?? In
configuration I have already disabled all auto run options!
Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time?

--
regards,

|\  /|
| \/ |@rk
 \../
  \/os

0
Linea

On 5/28/2010 10:17 AM, Linea Recta wrote:
> How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use??
> In configuration I have already disabled all auto run options!
> Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time?

Well it spins up even without a disc in the drive actually. It is just
quieter and it realizes pretty soon there isn't a disc so it stops.

If you have a disc in there, well you know what happens. There is
nothing I know of to stop it from spinning up the drive when you turn it
on. Although changing the boot order in the BIOS might speed things up
for you. That way it doesn't try to boot from a non-bootable DVD.

Other than that, I leave the drive door opened a little bit. It never
spins that way. If you are going to move around with the laptop,
probably best to close it until it is stationary once again.

--
Bill
Thunderbird Portable 3.0 (20091130)

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.invalid> wrote in message
> How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use?? In
> configuration I have already disabled all auto run options!
> Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time?
>

> --
> regards,
>
> |\  /|
> | \/ |@rk
> \../
>  \/os

0
Peter
5/28/2010 9:17:07 PM
"BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> schreef in bericht
> On 5/28/2010 10:17 AM, Linea Recta wrote:
>> How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use??
>> In configuration I have already disabled all auto run options!
>> Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time?
>
> Well it spins up even without a disc in the drive actually.

Didn't know that...

> It is just quieter and it realizes pretty soon there isn't a disc so it
> stops.

I was also thinking about needless wear of the drive.

> If you have a disc in there, well you know what happens. There is nothing
> I know of to stop it from spinning up the drive when you turn it on.
> Although changing the boot order in the BIOS might speed things up for
> you. That way it doesn't try to boot from a non-bootable DVD.

I can hear it not only when booting up, but also when the system is running,
every now and then randomly. I really wonder... perhaps an overactive
McAfee?

--
regards,

|\  /|
| \/ |@rk
 \../
  \/os

0
Linea
5/29/2010 11:17:23 AM
Or maybe rt click & disable it in Device Manager until you need/want it?

"Peter Foldes" <maci252211@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> When does it spin up? Next time hold down the Shift key and see if it
> spins up then
>
> --
> Peter

> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.invalid> wrote in message
>> How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use?? In
>> configuration I have already disabled all auto run options!
>> Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time?
>>

>> --
>> regards,
>>
>> |\  /|
>> | \/ |@rk
>> \../
>>  \/os

0
Bruce
6/3/2010 7:40:54 AM
The drive has a microprocessor that runs a checkout procedure when power is
applied independent of the operating system. Disabling won't stop it.  As
for wearing it out it is probably better for it to spin up and keep all the
lubricants fluid. It will never wear it out.

"Bruce--M" <bruce9950@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Or maybe rt click & disable it in Device Manager until you need/want it?
>

> "Peter Foldes" <maci252211@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> When does it spin up? Next time hold down the Shift key and see if it
>> spins up then
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> "Linea Recta" <mccm.vos@abc.invalid> wrote in message
>>> How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use??
>>> In configuration I have already disabled all auto run options!
>>> Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time?
>>>

>>> --
>>> regards,
>>>
>>> |\  /|
>>> \../
>>>  \/os

0
TheDuck

Total Gym Blast Vol. 1&amp;2 Series DVD Set
Price:$65.00 Image: http://thediscounfinder.info/image.php?id=B000PQKKQS Best deal: http://thediscounfinder.info/index.php?id=B000PQKKQS Rev 'em up fast and furious. Each of these tough, challenging, progressive workouts is an intense 15-minute muscle isolation superset targeting Abs, Back/Chest, Shoulders, Biceps/Triceps, Buns & Legs. Focus on a different key muscle group each day or through the course of each day. Within a week, you'll get a fun and memorable full body workout. Before you know it, you'll see and feel results. SIMILAR PRODUCTS: Total Gym 1700 Clu...

How to force a delayed write to an eSATA drive?
Hi, I just installed an eSATA as a backup drive. I use Windows Standby a lot, works really well for a long time before needing to do a restart. I'd like to shut off the eSATA so it's not running all the time and wasting electricity. But if I put my machine on Standby and turn off the eSATA then I get an error when I power on the eSATA. It's a cryptic error but has the string MFT$ in it so it appears to be a Master File Table corruption, and the drive becomes inaccessible. The actual message says a delayed write to the drive failed and says something about an MF...

Only one tool: Rip a DVD, convert video, backup iPod, make iPhone Ringtone
This guide aims to show you how to rip a DVD, convert video and transfer music between iPod and computer/two iPod, make your own iPhone ringtone.All you need is [URL="http://www.mobi32.com/DVD-Tools/Aiseesoft-DVD-Software-Toolkit.html"][B]Aiseesoft DVD Software Toolkit[/B][/URL]It includes 4 parts:[B]Part 1. How to rip DVD to iPod/iPhone/Sansa/PSP/Zune and other MP4 and MP3 Players. [/B][B]Part 2. How to convert all video to MP4, AVI, FLV, 3GP, WMV, MOV, MPG, RM, RMVB, MKV, VOB?[/B][B]Part 3. How to transfer music from iPod to computer, computer to iPod, iPod to iPod. [/B][B]Part 4. ...

How to convert and rip music from DVD to iPod with with DVD Ripper
[url=http://www.rip-burn-copy-dvd.com/how-to-convert-rip-dvd-audio-to-mp3.html][b]How to convert and rip music from DVD to iPod with with DVD Ripper?[/b][/url][url=http://www.rip-burn-copy-dvd.com/dvd-ripper.html][b]Joboshare DVD Ripper[/b][/url] is professional DVD Ripper software, which can rip DVD to MP4, rip DVD to AVI and almost all other video and audio formats including [b]AVI, MPEG, WMV, MP4, H.264/AVC, RM, MOV, XviD, 3GP, FLV, VOB, ASF, DV, MP3, WMA, WAV, RA, M4A, AAC, AC3, OGG,[/b] etc. with the highest DVD ripping speed and the best quality.[b]Guide: How to convert and rip music fro...

DVD not appearing on My Computer
I have recently fixed my laptop (Dell XPS M140) after some virus schenanigans. Now some settings are changed for a particular user (admin setting). The CD/DVD drive is not show up on My Computer. It does show up on the Device Manager and the driver is updated and it swears that it is enabled and ready to go. I can put in an audio CD and have it recognized in itunes. But any other software CD is not recognized and does not load. I then signed onto the original administrator account and there is no problem with any type of CD/DVD. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to f...

HELP! CD Drive Not Accessible
I have a Dell desktop with a CD R/W drive (D:\) and a DVD R/W drive (E:\). Two months ago, I started having a problem. When trying to access the D:\ drive, I would get the message "Drive not accessible..." When putting a CD with known good data in the E:\ drive, opening the drive shows the CD to be blank. I "fixed" the problem by completely uninstalling Yahoo! Music. Both drives worked just fine for a couple of weeks, until just a few days ago. The problem has come back...exactly the same as before. I did install Adobe CS3 as well as Adobe Lightroom about a week ...

cd/dvd drive not detected
So my cd/dvd drive doesn't show up on my computer. I have a dell inspiron 5315 desktop. I searched the forum here and found nothing that worked. I tried to uninstall it from my device manager but it would reinstall itself upon reboot, i tried to delete my upper and lower registries for the drive but I don't have lower registry for that. I also checked my autoplay settings but everything was fine there. I don't know what else to do, please help. -- raysmith Have you tried going to the makers website and getting the latest firmware for it? Flash it with that and...

Error messages saving to network drive
We've been having some issues here and hoping that someone can help me out. We have some Mac users who are having problems saving files to a network drive. In this particular case, it's a Netware 6 server. They either get disk full errors, read errors, or several others. These problems do not occur on the local hard drive. After spending quite some time working on this, it seems does not seem to matter which network OS is running. Reports have it happening on windows, netware, and unix shares. This does not happen with any other applications. Just MS Office. I've tested Office X an...

How to convert DVD to AVI with Leawo DVD to AVI Converter?
Many people are trying to [url=http://www.leawo.com/dvd-to-avi-converter/][b]convert DVD to AVI[/b][/url] for data storage on their computer hard drive. And a lot more people are seeking for a [b][url=http://www.leawo.com/dvd-to-avi-converter/]DVD to AVI[/url][/b] Converter to convert DVD to AVI for video edit. Thus they can upload them to YouTube or MySpace for friends to see. Definitely, they don&rsquo;t want their video to be reduced in quality, so a DVD to AVI converter software with best output quality will be their bad need! What about Leawo DVD to AVI Converter? Is it the right ...

Dvd/Cdrw not recognized?
I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop.I am running windows xp professional.I was running a cd drive perfectly, when I took a cdrw/dvd from another Dell Inspiron 5000 and installed it in my laptop it does not recognize any hardware for new dvd drive anywhere. I have tried mr.fix it,3hrs and no result. I have tried the registry fix, did not work. I have looked for a driver, none found. Please tell me if it is possible to have a dvd cdrw while running xp professional? If so HOW! Please help! =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBH?= <PaulG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:A73F7A24-A427-4...

Vista 64 bit
OK, I am so completely feed up with Vista and have been wanting to upgrade to Windows 7, but now my external hard drive has completely failed and was never working correctly with Vista anyway, because of the 64 bit issues so now I need to spend the money on a new external hard drive instead of upgrading to 7. So here's my issue: I understand now that the 64 bit issue was a software/driver issue and not a hardware issue. I was using a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Plus with an XP machine. The Xp machine died and I got a Vista machine (right before the free upgrade to 7 started. Dang it!). ...

Blank DVD disk not recognized by Windows Explorer
(Running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, SP-2, IE-8, WM-6, WLM-09, classic mode, dial-up.) If this is not the correct newsgroup, please redirect me. About once a month I backup many files onto a blank DVD disk. Currently, if I insert one of those partially full DVDs into my drive-E, it is recognized and everything works normally. When I started my January backup two days ago I find that if I insert a blank DVD Windows Explorer does not recognize it, and tells me to insert a disk. If I then again click on the drive-E, the hour-glass curser appears for several minutes, but nothin...

How to rip a DVD on Windows/mac with DVD Ripper and Mac DVD
Do you want to rip your DVD to play it on your portable players? such as iPhone/ipod, PSP,Zune,Sansa, Archos, Windows Movie Maker, etc This guide will show you how to rip and edit your DVD to all other video and audio formats for all the portable players. It includes two parts. Part 1:how to rip DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, WMA, FLV, MKV, MPG, RM, 3GP, etc by using Aiseesoft DVD Ripper (http://www.5idownload.com/as-dvd-ripper.html)(For Windows) Part 2: how to rip DVD to popular video and audio formats on Mac with Wondershare Mac DVD Ripper (http://www.5idownload.com/w...

How to rip DVD movies and convert video to ipad
iPad tablet has a built-in rechargeable lithium-polymer battery, and the battery delivers up to 10 hours of Web surfing via Wi-Fi, music listening, and even watching video or movies. That's quite good, especially for frequent travelers or people who take video or DVD and enjoy on the go. And thanks to its bigger screen and high definition display, with 9.7-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1024-by-768-piexl resolution, they all make iPad perfect for watching any kind of video: from HD movies and TV shows to podcasts and music videos entertainment an utterly new experien...

DVD Booklet
Hi Is it possibel to make a Dvd booklet in MS Publisher.. If yes... Can anyone show it to me Thomas http://www.amtechdisc.com/printspecs/art.htm -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com "Thomas P" <2045326m001@stofanet.dk> wrote in message news:401e63bd$0$8024$ba624c82@nntp01.dk.telia.net... > Hi > > Is it possibel to make a Dvd booklet in MS Publisher.. > > If yes... Can anyone show it to me > > Thomas > > What is a Dvd booklet? -- Don -------- V...

floppy disk drive (A)
I'm not sure if I'm in the right group but I have a problem with my disc drive. My CD drive works OK but my floppy DIsk (A) drive does not. I can put the disk in and the light comes on a second then goes off. Nothing happens. The flip door on the front is stuck up inside the drive itself. What should I do? I have the easy access midtower front panel on a gateway computer. It's a Pentium III tower. I hope someone can help or at least guide me in the right direction. Thanks ...

DVD+R vs DVD+RW
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CA91F8.D0BDD860 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is there a difference between DVD+R and DVD+RW? Seems when I burn to a DVD+R I'm unable to erase the disc. I am told = that it is Write-Protected by Vista Basic when I try to re-format it. But I'm able to erase and re-format the DVD+RW. James ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CA91F8.D0BDD860 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-p...

Moving Outlook pst file from C Drive
I want to move the location of this file from C Drive to D Drive. How can I do this please? First copy the file to new folder. Then check Outlook tools -> services. There is setting which tells where Outlook searches the pst file. I don't remember the exact place, because I don't have Outlook at home. The setting is propably in the registry under key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office. You might also change the setting from there. "SDR" <a@c.com> wrote in message news:g9pc20dcoe97cp7hd8f7t6grk2op01j4r0@4ax.com... > > I want to move the location of ...

Unable to copy dvd to dvd+r
When I right-click on a specific video in the documents ("Why did I get Married too" for example) and select the option "send to" to "Cd Drive (D:)", A message like this pops up "Windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this folder. What would you like windows to do?" I click "retry" but the same message just pops up again. What is the problem and how do I fix it? -- All Good Things Must Come To An End...Especially The Ones Involving The Heart. ...

Can Publisher be used to print directly on white CD's or DVD's?
I have an Epson 810 printer that can print directly on the disc for labeling. Their software is terrible. They suggest a half dozen others, but not Publisher. I have hundreds of labels (for paper stick on labels) already made in Publisher for previous projects. Is there any way to use them with the Epson? More importantly, is there a way to use Publisher 2007 to print/label directly on a white labeled (printable) disc for new projects? Thanks for any help or suggestions. Leo Have you tried? I know nothing about printing directly onto a disk, but I do know you can setup...

CD / DVD Drive Missing?
No idea what happened to it but it's no longer showing on my computer. When I try to run a cd or what not, nothing pops up either. No error message, nothing. -- g0dfather http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general/missing_CD-DVD_drives.html -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "g0dfather" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:5f23729d3595d90a5eaccc451106437c@nntp-gateway.com... > > No idea what happened to it but it's no longer showing on...

Reinstall after drive crash
I hope someone out there can help me. I lost my disk drive and had to reintall all my software. After I was back up I was able to restore my documents and settings. I then downloaded Money 2006 from the site Microsfot told me to. I have followed the directions found on microsoft.com/money/special/moneyspecialpages_launcg2006_thakyou.mspx step B. When I restore my backup money file, the next time I access money I get a message that I am using a 90 trial. I have no disk as I purchased the software on line from microsoft and downloaded. Can someone please help. Thanks Read More,...

Get a popup: Store.exe
The full message: Event ID: 26 Application popup: store.exe - No Disk: There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive A: What is that? I keep on getting this pop-up on my Win2k SP4, Exchange 2k SP3 server. It seems that whenever I get this message, the Exchange side of the server slows to a crawl within 1 - 2 hours, and no-one in my Network can use their outlook. I have to reboot the server to get Exchange usable again. I have tried stopping and starting the EXCH services, but one service - the IS service - refuses to stop. It is almost like the IS is in a stalled...

How to convert DVD to AVI MPEG WMV DivX MP4 MOV on Mac
[url=http://www.rip-burn-copy-dvd.com/how-to-rip-dvd-on-mac-with-mac-dvd-converter.html][b]How to convert DVD to AVI MPEG WMV DivX MP4 MOV on Mac with Mac DVD Converter?[/b][/url][url=http://www.rip-burn-copy-dvd.com/mac-dvd-converter.html]AVCWare Mac DVD Converter[/url] is powerful and ideal DVD ripper software for Mac users to rip your DVD movie to video/audio files like [b]rip DVD to MPEG, rip DVD to AVI, WMV, DivX, MP4, H.264/AVC, RM, MOV, 3GP videos,[/b] and [b]rip DVD to MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC, audio formats,[/b] etc. Furthermore, you can complete clip any segments, merge several files into ...