Displaying one program on computer screen and another on a TV screen

"Low end" desktop computer (perhaps a Dell Inspiron 560 or 580) is running
64-bit Windows with integrated graphics (Intel GMA X4500) with the computer
monitor connected to the VGA port and a television connected to the HDMI
port.

The desire is to display one running program on the normal computer screen
while displaying another running program on the television screen.

QUESTIONS

1.  Can I have two programs running and have one displayed on the computer
monitor and one displayed on the television screen using the integrated
graphics?

2.  If so, can I change to have the same program displayed on BOTH screens?

3.  If not, does it take a different (more advanced) separate graphics card
to be installed to be able to do this?  What would be a fairly inexpensive
graphics card that would allow this to be done?

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Bud H

0
Bud

From: "Bud H" <budh9534@gmail.com>

| "Low end" desktop computer (perhaps a Dell Inspiron 560 or 580) is running
| 64-bit Windows with integrated graphics (Intel GMA X4500) with the computer
| monitor connected to the VGA port and a television connected to the HDMI
| port.

| The desire is to display one running program on the normal computer screen
| while displaying another running program on the television screen.

| QUESTIONS

| 1.  Can I have two programs running and have one displayed on the computer
| monitor and one displayed on the television screen using the integrated
| graphics?

| 2.  If so, can I change to have the same program displayed on BOTH screens?

| 3.  If not, does it take a different (more advanced) separate graphics card
| to be installed to be able to do this?  What would be a fairly inexpensive
| graphics card that would allow this to be done?

| Thanks in advance for your assistance,

| Bud H

If a computer has BOTH HDMI and VGA then yes, you can do that.

My TV (JVC) has a VGA port (1024x768 @ 60Hz) and I connect the VGA to my Dell Latitude D
series docking station and I "extend" my display to the TV.

The concepts are "duplicate" and "extend"

If you duplicate the display then both displays have the same content.

If you extend the display then one display is teh Primary and the other is the Secondary
and you can drag a Window from the Primary Dispaly to the extended Seconary Display.

Now my notebook when docked gives my two displays.

Desktop computers normally only drive one VGA or DVI display.  Some Video cards will have
both a VGA and DVI interface.  Some Video cards will be able to drive two VGA displays or
two DVI diaplsy via a Y splitter cable on the video card.

I don't know the Intel GMA X4500 so I can't say exactly what you can do nor if the
Inspiron will support this.  My Latitude notebook supports two displays because I can use
a Latitude D series docing station.  Most Inspiron NBs aren't docking station capable.

--
Dave

David

Dual Displays

Averageifs- calculate TV programs rating from various channels
Hi all, I'm trying to use averageifs on the following situation: I have 3 criteria columns- date, start time of a program and finish time of a program (no problem with this of course) and 10 columns of rating data to 10 different TV channels in any time of the day. In anoter sheet I've got a table whice includes records like: date, TV channel, program name, start time, finish time. I need to calculate the average rating for every program and my problam is- how can I produce a formula in which the excel will "understand" which channel rating data it needs to calculate t...

Gotta ask one more time ...
Hi Folks, Can anyone explain to me how I can create a budget based on my own numbers - without the program (2003) changing them based on my previous spending? Isn't the whole point of a budget to STAY within the budgeted limits? I just can't figure out why the budgeting feature arbitrarily changes my budgeted values. Even when I start over from scratch, with a new budget, it just repopulates it the way it wants to - ignoring the numbers I put in to the budget planner. I have ignored the autobudget altogether. I have clicked autobudget and unchecked all the values. I have begged and...

Folder could not be displayed

One more TIME
Hi all After downloading data it is presented with a decimal(period) between the hours and minutes i.e.7.20 is really 7 hours and 20 minutes. Some data appears in hundreds eg 985.35. I need to compare this data with other correctly formatted timed data ie 7:20 to establish variances. I realise that i could use Tools/Autocorrect replacing the decimal with a colon but this changes the 7.20 to 07:02 and there is the danger that I might forget to change it back later. Is there a solution? Can this be done automatically by macro etc as there is quite a lot of data. Thanks in advance. Angelo Hi ...

Message Box On One Sheet Only
I have a large spreadsheet with multiple worksheets in it. When one specific worksheet is selected (it does the calculations used on the other pages) I would like a pop-up text box to appear warning the user not to print it. Is there a relatively easy way to do this given that I can't write VB (though I can follow it in the VB editor)? I have been able to create a pop-up that appears on every page by putting an Auto_Open Msgbox in the ThisWorkbook module, but can't figure out how to get it to work on only one worksheet - is this a syntax probem or can't it be done?. Anoth...

How to select & display distinct values

Display Time in Outlook

excel question borderline programing
here is what i am trying to do. lets say i want cell a1 to reflect upon cell b1. b1 can represnt 1 of 2 things what ever it may be. if b1 contains lets say x or (2pm-6pm) to make cell a1 represent an (*). but if b1 then has y or somthing like (req off) make a1 either be 0 or better yet be blank. is this possible? email me dkuhl75@yahoo.com. thank you duane Hi Duane, Put =IF(B1="x","*","") in cell A1 if you want it to return blank or =IF(B1="x","*",0) if you want it to return 0 HTH Martin ...

PK and FK Displayed

Changing Constants in several macros in one go
Dear Experts: For a table macro (see below) I have defined two constants ... .... strConstantBlue: representing the RGB value for borders, .... strConstantBlue_2: representing the RGB value for background pattern color. I got SEVERAL similar table macros all with the SAME constants, i.e. .... strConstantBlue and .... strConstantBlue_2. How can I set NEW values for these two constants in all the affected macros in one go, using an InputBox? That is, after entering the new values for the constant <strConstantBlue>, say (44,33,22), the values for these constants have to ...

Formulas are displayed, results are not

Two address/one box
Due to a server crash we made changes to email addresses. Now some people are not receiving their email. Can we have two email addresses going into one email box? How? Please be specific as I am new at this. Thanks! You can set up an alias for the person within the exchange properties (sorry can't remember which tab) "Sam" wrote: > Due to a server crash we made changes to email addresses. Now some people > are not receiving their email. Can we have two email addresses going into > one email box? How? Please be specific as I am new at this. > Thanks! ...

Stop displaying a line

Changing Screen Resolution
How can I change the resolution of the screen when the app start and return it's last resolution when the app be closing. > How can I change the resolution of the screen when the app start and return it's last resolution when the app be closing. Hector, See the ChangeDisplaySettings API documentation. If you want to do it for an arbitrary application, you could use VidRes (www.jddesign.co.uk) to launch the application and perform the resolution changes for you. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq ...

W98SE computer will not restart
Hi, After a system settings change that requires a computer restart or when I select Start/Shut Down/Restart, the computer will not restart: Diskette Drive gets interrogated, but the display remains black with no further progress. I have to turn off the computer by the tower switch and press it again to get a start. Using the Ctl/Alt/Del will also do , but I get a Post Startup Error(s) message [162 Configuration change has occured Select one of the following: Continue / Exit Setup] from which I choose �Exit Setup� to get a restart. How could that problem be solved? ...

Display or not display series

Displaying an equation
I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have equations in them. I want to have a cell that displays this equation with the answers that are calculated from these other cells displayed as values in the new equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Check out http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm#getformula In article <E4143E2B-360A-4B43-955F-73BF8EC60694@microsoft.com>, "hoising8" <hoising8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an equation setup that is referencing a few other cells that have > eq...

Programming Autofilter
HELP!! I'm on my third Starbucks venti coffee today, and I'm still stumped on this problem. I'm trying to build a macro that will allow me to filter on more than the normally allowed 2 criteria using the Autofilter. Say my list had two columns, and the first column was 250 items long (which changes from week to week), containing various food and drinks. I want to be able to filter on: *apple (pulling up apple, pineapple) *cola (pulling up Coca-Cola, Pepsi-Cola, RC Cola) *fish* (pulling up swordfish, fishmeal) and *juice (pulling up orange juice, grape juice). The macro should be...

when open workbook, change existing link to another workbook
Upon opening a workbook, I would like the file to immediately automatically change the current existing link (which varies depending on where the user saves the workbook) to another location/workbook (which varies same reason as before). I do not know how to retrieve the existing link information and change it to the new location but I do have the new location declared and ready to use. Any help I would be most grateful Kind regards chrissie. If you're prompted to update links when you open it, you could answer no and then use Edit|links to change them. If you answer yes to upda...