Desktop shortcut

I know there have been several posts about this but can't seem to figure
out some of the answers.

I have lost, for some reason, the Create a Desktop Short cut from my
right click context menu.

I tried one thing and all I got was the Desktop icon on my Desktop. I
did more searching but can NOT find: "the file *Desktop (create
shortcut)* from the Default user  folder."

I went to my User folder and there is no such item.  Am I looking in the
wrong area?

And while I'm at it, what could I have done to remove it in the first
place.  Don't want to do that again.

Thanks.

--
vegaspat
0

Hello Pat,

Using step 2 in this tutorial below should be able to restore "Desktop
(create shortcut)" in the "Send To" context menu.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/172103-send-context-menu-restore-default-menu-items.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2009 - 2010*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=87AD1AFC-4723-4479-A555-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) - '*Windows
Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
0
Brink
4/1/2010 4:36:26 PM
Shawn,

Well it didn't work.  In fact the first time I downloaded the file and
thought I was following your instructions, I ended up with a"folder".
Figured that must be wrong so tried it again.

Each time though, after I drop the file into the Sendto Folder I end up
having under TYPE,  Desklink in place of your Desktop Shortcut.

Both time, with the erroneous Folder and then what I was sure was a
file, I could not send anything from Windows Explorer to the Desktop.

I did move your file from the Download folder I have set up to the
Desktop, extracted it first to the default that came up which was my
users folder and then after that I got so frustrated I didn't know which
way to go.

From this mess can you figure out what the heck I did wrong?

--
vegaspat
0

--
whs
0

So, the second time I did extract the files but am wondering if I should
not have gone with the default.

Had a printer problem and was just now going to take another look at the
instructions to see what I may have missed.

--
vegaspat
0

Plus when I go into Explorer and try to use the Sendto menu, there is
nothing there.

?

--
vegaspat
0

Do you have Send To with missing items in it, or no Send To at all?

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2009 - 2010*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=87AD1AFC-4723-4479-A555-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) - '*Windows
Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
0
Brink
4/2/2010 2:20:48 AM
Do you have any folder in the sendto menu (other than the zip folder)

--
whs
0

The right click context, sendto options has the same options plus the
removable slots or drives.

Thanks for trying to help.  I get so frustrated because nothing for me
seems to be cut and dry.

--
vegaspat
0

1. Go to Desktop that is under Favorites (in the left pane of explorer)
and *copy* this (icon)
2. Type *shell:sendto* into the start search and hit Enter. That should
open the sendto folder
3. *Paste* into that folder
4. See whether the sendto desktop works now and let me know (it worked
for me).

--
whs
0

I thought I read that it was for Vista?

--
vegaspat
0

--
vegaspat
0

--
whs
0

There must be a way to do this.  I'll just keep looking.

--
vegaspat
0
vegaspat;1249764 Wrote:
> I do not seem to have an icon for the Desktop in my Favorites folder.

For Favorites, you can just drag and drop the*
C:\Users\(user-name)\Desktop* folder into the *Favorite Links* area to
have a copy of it there.
18892

Did you extract *Desktop (create shortcut) *to your desktop first, then
moved it to the *shell:sendto* ('*_hidden_*'
(http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/86163-hidden-files-folders.html) -
C:\Users\(user-name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTolocation)?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/172103-send-context-menu-restore-default-menu-items.html

|Filename: Favorites.jpg                                            |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18892|

Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2009 - 2010*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=87AD1AFC-4723-4479-A555-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) - '*Windows
Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
0
Brink
4/3/2010 3:26:42 AM
Well, I moved the folder per your instructions into the Favorites folder
but really don't understand why.

Yes, I did extract the file on the Desktop per your original
instructions.  I then put it in the Sendto Folder where it stayed.  But
when I went into Windows Explorer and right clicked on a file the option
still was not there.

I'm pretty well confused by now.

--
vegaspat
0
vegaspat;1250029 Wrote:
> Well, I moved the folder per your instructions into the Favorites folder
> but really don't understand why.

I had just thought that you wanted one in the Favorites section from
your quoted post below.

vegaspat;1250029 Wrote:
> Yes, I did extract the file on the Desktop per your original
> instructions. I then put it in the Sendto Folder where it stayed. But
> when I went into Windows Explorer and right clicked on a file the option
> still was not there.

When you type in Shell:SendTo in the Start Menu search box and press
enter, does it open to the
C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo location
and still have the shortcut in it?

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2009 - 2010*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=87AD1AFC-4723-4479-A555-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) - '*Windows
Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
0
Brink
4/4/2010 1:58:36 AM
Sounds dumb, but I've never did anything with the Favorites folder other
then look at it once in a while. I figured it was mostly connected to IE
which I do not use.  Sorry I misled you.

And yes I left that file in there with
1KB('file:///C:/Users/user/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/SendTo/Desktop%20(create%20shortcut).DeskLink)..
'
(file:///C:/Users/user/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/SendTo/Desktop%20%28create%20shortcut%29.DeskLink)

This is what I got when I copied that line in Windows Explorer and
pasted here. It does say all of that when just looking at it.  Wow.  I
never knew you could do that.

--
vegaspat
0

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2009 - 2010*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=87AD1AFC-4723-4479-A555-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) - '*Windows
Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
0
Brink
4/4/2010 4:37:20 PM
***.but is the shortcut still at that location after you say it's not in
the Send To context menu?***

I see I've gotten you confused also.

I suppose it's the shortcut. It's what was there AFTER I extracted the
file that I downloaded and followed  per your instructions.

It's titled Desktop (create shortcut). Under type it says Desklink File
1KB.

But it still does not show up in the context menu.

Sorry if this is getting to you.

--
vegaspat
0

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2009 - 2010*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=87AD1AFC-4723-4479-A555-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) - '*Windows
Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
0
Brink
4/4/2010 8:58:09 PM
Thanks for all your help.

I'm just a shade short of doing something I've never attempted.  I have
about three or four issues that have forced me to waste a lot of time
with no solution in sight.

Unlike the old days when I would have had to re-format my hard drive
from DOS I think I'm going to utilize the Recovery partition on this
Lenovo.

I'm not as afraid as I would have been before since I bought a new
laptop and can get to me email, etc.  Kind of takes away the fear.  <G>

Thanks again.

--
vegaspat
0

I hope that it goes smoothly for you. Please let us know how it went.

--
Brink

'*MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2009 - 2010*'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=87AD1AFC-4723-4479-A555-AD617AF3D511)
them.*
'*Windows 7 Forums*' (http://www.sevenforums.com/) - '*Windows
Vista Forums*' (http://www.vistax64.com/)

*Please post feedback to help others.*
0
Brink

Desktop vanishes
I have a similar problem (vanishing desktop) I use Windows XP Professional SP3 on a Dell PC. A) Since Friday 15 January when I launch a program via any icon on my desktop, all icons disappear from the desktop. Also I can no longer right-click on the desktop to get Arrange Icons by/Show desktop icons. When I press Show Desktop on the Taskbar my icons reappear. When I go to the Guest account I do not experience the above problems. Everything works normally there. But when I return to my own desktop there is no longer any way that I can get my icons back. Only the wallpaper is stil...

Sync 2 Desktops
Have PocketPc 2003 on IPAQ 2215. Would like to sync between my laptop, desktop and PDA. Can't seem to get it done. Can do it with Quicken though. Not recommended and, far as I know, not possible. -- Michael Gordon MVP <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03fb01c47243$44c12360$3a01280a@phx.gbl... > Have PocketPc 2003 on IPAQ 2215. Would like to sync > between my laptop, desktop and PDA. Can't seem to get it > done. Can do it with Quicken though. ...

keyboard shortcut #4
Hi. It would speed my productivity no end if I could use a keyboard shortcut for edit/paste special.../text. Does anyone know how to set this up? Many thanks If you mean paste VALUES then right click on toolbar>customize>edit>look for the one with the 12 in a box>drag to toolbar. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Grayling" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b6a01c426f8$479887e0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi. > It would speed my productivity no end if I could use a > keyboard shortcut for edit/paste special.../...

Adding Shared Folder Shortcut to Outlook Bar
I am using Outlook XP with Exchange Server, running on Windows XP. One user has a shared calendar that others in the company need to access, and all can do so using the conventional File: Open: Other User's Folder... command. However, we would like to be able to put the link to the shared calendar as an icon in the Outlook Shortcut bar. I am able to do it on my PC (by right-clicking in the shortcut bar, and the shared mailbox of the other user just appears as one of the choices, under my own, and from there I can expand to see their calendar). Other users don't see the shared mailb...

How do I display all assigned keyboard shortcuts?
Using Excel 2002, is there a way to display all keyboard shortcuts presently assigned, both those assigned by default and those that have been user assigned? Musawwir Spiegel mms@spiegel-law.com There are no user assigned shortcuts in Excel The default ones can be found in Help - keyword SHORTCUTS best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Musawwir Spiegel" <mms@spiegel-law.com> wrote in message news:1lat51t9a0o86fa6mln39vsp8eic7709r0@4ax.com... > Using Excel 2002, is there a way to display all keyboard shortcuts > presentl...

Outlook Desktop
if I have deleted the Outlook Desktop (the one that has been created automatically after install), how can I restore it? ...

desktop freezes while debugging thread
Hello, I have a problem debugging my application with VC 6. When I set a breakpoint in a user thread, sometimes the whole system gets very slow so I have to wait several minutes for each mouse click. Can anyone help? Peter There are some bugs in every version of VS; VS6 tends to hang; VS.NET merely crashes with some kind of internal error. However, there are two other considerations that may come into play. If the thread has a high priority, and it is compute-bound, it will consume massive amounts of computer time, which will make response slow. And if the threads are blocked on a k...

Desktop appearance with a Remote Desktop Connection to W2003
I log into my Win2003 server from a Vista desktop using RDC. When I log in, I see all the same Desktop icons that I would have if I logged into the server at its keyboard. However, they are not organized on the screen properly. So... it's obviously using my profile (it has all the icons) but it's obviously not using the information regarding preferred position/layout. Is there some way I can copy the layout I use when logging in locally to be used when I log in remotely? Thanks, +Bob+ wrote: > I log into my Win2003 server from a Vista desktop using RDC. > ...

Shortcut keys for superscript and subscript
I need to enter a significant number of chemical formulas into excel. Does anyone know of any shortcut keys that put characters into super and subscript? I have tried the the ctrl + = and shift + ctrl + = combinations from Word, but they don't workin in excel. Any hints would eb helpful! Thanks! Catherine I don't think there are any shortcuts for that, you might want to record a macro and tie it to a shortcut otherwise you have to use several key presses Ctrl + 1, F, tab 5 times and enter for superscript, tab 6 and enter for sub a recorded macro edited a bit could look l...

Outlook Desktop Clent
Installed client on 2003 server that will be used as a TS for multiple clients. Installation went OK. When I launch Outlook I get Cannot communicate with CRM server Error. The server is a 2003 SBS with exchange installed on same server. I can connect through the CRM web site - no problem. It should not be a rights issue, I am testing it with the Admin account, I have checked the Registry enties for the MSCRM client they seem correct. ...

CRM Desktop Client Find Error 07-26-06
We have CRM Desktop Client Installed and when we try to do a find on any custom fields outlook hangs for 5 minutes then we get an internet explorer script error with it pointing to lookupsingle.aspx if you click ok it then finishes with the search. has anyone ran into this before? if we use the laptop client this does not happen. Thanks Bumping up Any help at all I am pulling out my hair. greg.siwicki@gmail.com wrote: > We have CRM Desktop Client Installed and when we try to do a find on > any > custom fields outlook hangs for 5 minutes then we get an internet > explorer &g...

Shortcut key
One of the most irksome things in using Visio is having to go up to select an icon to switch between select mode and text entry mode. Is there any shortcuts keys or any trick to make the switch? Thank you, dbuchanan "dbuchanan" <dbuchanan52@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1127084047.892156.41270@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > One of the most irksome things in using Visio is having to go up to > select an icon to switch between select mode and text entry mode. Is > there any shortcuts keys or any trick to make the switch? > > Thank you, > dbuchanan S...

How to customize the length of text preview in desktop alert
How to customize the length of text preview in desktop alert ...

SMTP from Desktop still goes through Exchange Queue...?
This is inline with a previous issue below (Cannot send to Hotmail or MSN)...we smtp and pop from the desktop (outlook 2003) and all sent messages go through the Exchange (2003) servers SMTP queue...therefor it is stamped with our internal domain and this may be causing the issue with other domains that look for the reverse DNS...when this is done the mail message has our Exchange DNS instead of our ISP's DNS. The question...when I send from the desktop can I take my Exchange server out of the 'loop'? As a note...we run Server 2003 and have our internal DNS and our ISP has ...

Multi Desktop
Hi everybody, i need to write a program like multidsk.exe ( Multi Desktop application distributed inside of Microsoft TechNet for windows nt4.0 ) i can't find any documentation, example ecc.. my tests produced this code, it create a new desktop, but i can't exec any application, and inside the new desktop there is not the explorer ( taskbar, desktop icons ecc.. ) could anyone help me ?? Alberto ps. sorry for my english HDESK _OriginalThread HDESK _OriginalInput HDESK _ThisDesktop StartupInfo si; ProcessInformation pi; lpszDesktop = 'd...

synchronizing desktop/laptop PST file
What's the easiest way to have my laptop Outlook profile to look exactly as my desktop in terms of same folders? On the laptop, there are folders and messages that I do not want there anymore, and I don't want to have go in and manually remove them all as I did on the desktop. So, just want to have an exact copy of the desktop now to reside on the laptop. What is the best way to accomplish? See if the information on the following page helps: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be ...

unable to delete admin. tools icon on desktop
somehow i have a admin.tools icon in control pannel and one on the desktop. nothing that i try will allow my to delete it or move it. the machine in question has a registry entry for control pannel and for desktop none of my other machines have an entry in desktop. below is registry entries HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\CONTROLPANEL\NAMESPACE\ {D20EA4E1-3957-11d2-A40B-0C5020524153} (DEFAULT) REG_SZ ADMINSTRATIVE TOOLS AND HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\EXPLORER\DESKTOP\NAMESPACE\ {D20EA4E1-3957...

Desktops
Hello, does someone knows how close/destroy a desktop created using CreateDesktop() API ??? Thanks Alberto Spelta How about ::CloseDesktop() ? -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Alberto Spelta" <aspel@tin.it> wrote in message news:%23ntOdxJyDHA.2328@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, > does someone knows how close/destroy a desktop created using > CreateDesktop() API ??? > Thanks > Alberto Spelta > > Hi, I have understood that CloseDesktop function closes an open handle to a desktop object, do not d...

Outlook Web Access and synchronize with desktop
I am using outlook web access to connect with my company's network back home. It there a way to synchronize the oulook on the web access connection with the outlook on my desktop. I can't seem to find an avenue. Thanks! No, Outlook Web Access doesn't suppose synchronization. If you have VPN access to your Exchange server you could use your Outlook on the desktop to connect and then sync it that way. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post question...

delay the desktop alert for new email
I get hundreds of spams per day. Cloudmark (spam filtering service) does a great job of deleting all the spam (moves it to a spam folder). However i still get the "desktop alert" whenever spam comes into my Inbox. I would like to find a way to configure it so the desktop alert won't show these spam messages. Cloudmark add-in has time to move it to spam folder or delete it - this way i will only see valid email. jamesd, you wrote on 5 May 2007 00:58:55 -0700: > I get hundreds of spams per day. Cloudmark (spam filtering service) > does a great job of deleting all the ...

Shortcuts #3
Do you have a list of all shortcuts used in Execl? e.g of a shortcut (Ctrl+c - copy)? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ShortCuts.htm http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany H wrote: > Do you have a list of all shortcuts used in Execl? e.g of a shortcut > (Ctrl+c - copy)? ...

Desktop icons
How can I show desktop icon titles within a rectangular box so that they can be read more easily Not a Media Center related question, repost to the general group of what ever version of Windows your using. -- -- "mbrodell" <mbrodell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48DEC4FA-A773-4BC0-80D1-6D904D6CC612@microsoft.com... > How can I show desktop icon titles within a rectangular box so that they > can > be read more easily =?Utf-8?B?bWJyb2RlbGw=?= <mbrodell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:48DEC4FA-A773-4BC0-80D1-6D...

Search boxes from Outlooks Find Bar leave a shadow on the desktop
X-Posted to: microsoft.public.outlook and microsoft.public.outlook.general Followup to: microsoft.public.outlook This is a HUGE NG, so sorry if my question has been posted here before - I searched back til the beginning of February without any luck. The problem. When the Find Bar is active in Outlook (Office Xp - 2002) and I quit the application, shadows of two of the Find Bar search boxes appear on the desktop - in upper left corner. Two screen shots: http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl487543/FindBar.jpg http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl487543/FindBarShadow.jpg The OS is XP Pro with SP3. Th...

Vista 64 desktop changes resolution by itself
My Vista 64 desktop lowers the resolution of my monitor by itself and scrambles the icons, is there a fix for this? You'll have to give us a bit more detail, Dave. What monitor, what video card, and in what situation does it change the resolution would all be useful information. -- Charlie. http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel "Dave Bauer" <bauerdpeg@comcast.net> wrote in message news:4020C696-51E2-4762-9F9D-5429A0BE438E@microsoft.com... > My Vista 64 desktop lowers the resolution of my monitor by itself and > scrambles the icons, is there a f...

My Shortcuts to stay open on the Outlook Shortcut Bar
I have a user who would like `My Shortcuts' to remain the open default on the Outlook Shortcut Bar. Currently when she closes & re-opens the application `My Shortcuts' minimizes & `Outlook Shortcuts' expands. Is there a way to force `My Shortcuts' to be the open default, or is there a way to change the shortcut file order? I have tried re-creating her profile & that did not help. This was to hopefully fix another issue as well; the `Public Folders' file is showing as the first item in her Folder List rather than the Outlook Today folder or a delegate fo...