Defender question

I used to be able to scan with Windows Defender in a few minutes. Now it
takes hours. What's up with that?

Chet

Is the quick scan or a full scan running?
-=-

Chester GS wrote:
> I used to be able to scan with Windows Defender in a few minutes.
> Now it takes hours. What's up with that?

More stuff to scan?
More applications installed and running?
You used to do Quick Scans and now you are doing Full Scans?

I suggest dropping it (disable it) and whatever your current AV solution is
and using Avira.  ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
6/27/2010 9:06:28 PM
That's the weird thing. It's still the quick scan. But it never seems to
finish.

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Is the quick scan or a full scan running?
> -=-
>

> "Chester GS" wrote:
>
> > I used to be able to scan with Windows Defender in a few minutes. Now it
> > takes hours. What's up with that?
> >
> > Chet
No more stuff on my computer than before. And I've always done the quick
scan. Now it's taking forever, still with the "quick" scan. In fact, the
other night it ran for 13 hours before I just shut it off. I don't get it.

Chester GS wrote:
> No more stuff on my computer than before. And I've always done the
> quick scan. Now it's taking forever, still with the "quick" scan.
> In fact, the other night it ran for 13 hours before I just shut it
> off. I don't get it.

Suggestion the same.  Get rid of it/disable it.

(Although - being honest here - you have more unless you have something like
DeepFreeze installed and/or have not done any updates of anything since you
first ran Defender or saved any of your files to local drives, no bookmarks,
no emails, nothing...)

If you insist on a Microsoft solution - get Microsoft Security Essentials
(which will disable it for you.) to replace it and your antivirus software

Otherwise - and I think the better option - would be to download free Avira
AntiVir, uninstall your current antivirus solution completely (*if Norton or
McAfee - find their uninstall/cleanup/removal tools and use them after
uninstalling them properly to get rid of them completely) and install Avira
AntiVir instead.  You can also occasionally scan with MalwareBytes (free) as
well if you like.

In fact - I would say doing the following:
(Make sure you have a current backup.)

Please give details on your OS:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
(No "RUN", press the WindowsKey+R at the same time.)
  winver
--> Click OK.

That will give you (picture at top) the full name of the operating system.
That will give you (in the text) the Service Pack you have installed.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit
version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

That will all but guarantee you are malware free (at least for the common
and nastiest known stuff.)

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
  "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

Clear out your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files (all of them,
cookies, caches, etc.)

Empty your recycle bin.

Use Disk Cleanup to clear out more files.

CHKDSK and DEFRAGMENT your hard disk drives.  (In that order, please.)

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
6/27/2010 11:06:20 PM
Wow. That's a load. I have 32-bit, service pack 2. I'll do all that stuff.
Thank you
Chet

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Reboot and logon as administrative user.
>
> Download and run the MSRT manually:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
>
> That will all but guarantee you are malware free (at least for the common
> and nastiest known stuff.)
>
> Reboot and logon as administrative user.
>
> Download/install this:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
>
> After installing, do the following:
>
> Start button --> RUN --> type in:
>   "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
> --> Click OK.
> (The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)
>
> Clear out your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files (all of them,
> cookies, caches, etc.)
>
> Empty your recycle bin.
>
> Use Disk Cleanup to clear out more files.
>
> CHKDSK and DEFRAGMENT your hard disk drives.  (In that order, please.)

Run a System File Check to see of the O/S is corrupted. At the Command

Prompt, enter SFC /scannow and see what it reports.

<http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files.html>
- -- ---

"Chester GS" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Reboot and logon as administrative user.
> >
> > Download and run the MSRT manually:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
> >
> > That will all but guarantee you are malware free (at least for the common
> > and nastiest known stuff.)
> >
> > Reboot and logon as administrative user.
> >
> > Download/install this:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
> >
> > After installing, do the following:
> >
> > Start button --> RUN --> type in:
> >   "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
> > --> Click OK.
> > (The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)
> >
> > Clear out your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files (all of them,
> > cookies, caches, etc.)
> >
> > Empty your recycle bin.
> >
> > Use Disk Cleanup to clear out more files.
> >
> > CHKDSK and DEFRAGMENT your hard disk drives.  (In that order, please.)

Window defender missing?
I don't have any evidence of Window Defender on my machine. My Start/All Programs does not contain it. I opened Control panelAdd Remove Programs to see if it is mentioned there - it isn't. Shouldn't it appear some place - I like to check if it is really installed. Thank " Cal Who" <CalWhoNOSPAM@roadrunner.com> wrote in message news:i0gv03$avf$1@news.eternal-september.org... >I don't have any evidence of Window Defender on my machine. > My Start/All Programs does not contain it. > I opened Control panelAdd Remove Programs to see if i...

A few questions #2
Greetings Excel Gurus! A few questions, please: 1. I have a spreadsheet with subtotals that appear every seven rows. Every month I add another 7 rows. I'd like to come up with a formula that would allow me to total the subtotal cells. In other words, if my subtotals are, e.g., in cells C6, C13, C20, C27 etc., what's the formula that allows me to total these cells without inputting all the cell numbers manually. There must be a function I'm not aware of that provides for referencing cells in this manner, isn't there? 2. How does one find the last active row in a spreads...

Question On Fields
What is the (Microsoft desciption)difference between the SIC field and the Industry Code field? To me they seem like a duplication. Thanks! Shauna Hi, According to the Deployment Manager descriptions of attributes: SIC - Standard Industrial Classification code for the Account industrycode - the type of industry with which the account is associated... Hope this helps! "Shauna Koppang" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:034101c48af4$62524a70$a401280a@phx.gbl... > What is the (Microsoft desciption)difference between the > SIC field and the...

Display field from entity 3 in entity 1... See the question.. : )
I have entity 1, linked to entity 2 by a *-1 relationship. Entity 2 is linked to entity 3 by a *-1 relationship too. I want to display a field from entity 3 in entity 1. Is that possible? Thanks Hi, To point you a littlebit into the direction of a solution. You could make a webservice on top of the crm server providing the data. Pass the ID of the current record to the webservice. Next retrieve the data by programming a littlebit JavaScript on the onload event of the form of entity 1. This is like Ajax technolgoy. Best regards, Merijn van Mourik "m1sterd" wrote: > I h...

Payables PM10000 Question
As part of integrating some items into Payables, I'm stuck on one field in the PM10000 table....the NOTEINDX field. I know it's a Note Index field, but how is the number generated and what does it cross reference? Thanks. Jeff During the integration process, Dynamics GP will assign the next note index to your transaction. The note index itself is retrieved from the Company Master table (SY01500) in the DYNAMICS database and is then assigned to the transaction. When a user adds a note to the transaction in GP, the note is stored in the SY03900 table along with the assigned ...

Question aboutRSG
Hi all My question is if i have on tape a backup of the exchagne 2003 DB, but i have since deleted a user account and i have purged the inbox that was associated with the delted user account. If i create a RSG and i restore the databse from tape to the RSG that has the delted mailbox on it can i still recover the data from this inox to a .pst file or merge the inbox into the live DB on the server? Many thanks no, you cannot...if the mailbox has been purged and the AD account no longer exists, you will need a recovery server to get the mail back, or use a 3rd party solution like Quest&#...

newbe question
Hello everybody, I have an VB.net app with a ms sql server database. If I want to deliever the application I should send the database information as well. My question: what is better strategy - to send CreateDatabase query or backup of the database to my customer. What is easier for the customer to get fast the database structure - to create it from the sqlquery or to recreate it from the database.bak? I would like to avoid all problems and to make the job for unexperienced administrators easy. If the customer installed sql server - what tools does he need to be able to use sql...

xml style sheet question!
I have a .net application C# that uses xmlwriter class to write data from a dataset into an xml doc. The doc app is set to excel so when the user opens the file excel opens. Anyhow I have another master excel file that I have saved as XML and am trying to copy it with the .net program (also using xml notepad for verification). I am not using a xml style sheet, would this be recommended and how do you create one? Also I have in the first row of the file I am writing in a string of 6 words. I am not setting the merge attribute for this. The string can be seen when it is opened in ex...

question about images
I am using Publisher 2007 and I was wondering if it possible to insert pictures in an email and have the recipient of the email to click on the image and have it enlarge? Basically what I am using is the "feature product" template and I wanted to know if it was possible for the recipient to click on the image and have it enlarge so that it is easier to see. Put this in your e-mail, beside or under the image: To see a full-size view of this picture, click here (with the click here a hyperlink to the image on your web site. Mike riderx wrote: > I am using Publisher 2007 an...

Average Question
I am trying to get the average of a column say a1 to a300, a1 to a15 has a number in each cell but the rest of the cells are currently blan but might have a number put in in the future. The problem I am having i when I use the =average a1:a300 it gives me an error saying I a dividing by zero. HELP!!!! Once Again Thanks In Advance Mik -- mikeee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikeeee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1461 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26969 this SHOULD...

pswd question
On XP pro sp3, if I start->run and type control userpasswords2 then hit enter I get a UserAccts window, I then click the Advanced Tab, I then go down to the center of the window to the AdvancedUserManagement heading and then look to the right and click the Advanced button, I get another window called LocalUsersAndGroups, if I then click Users->MyAcctName I finally get a window that called MyAcctName Properties, if I look down to the center I see a check box (that is checked) beside a heading that says, "password never expires". Ok.......now I go to ControlPanel(ClassicV...

Pivot table question #12
I have a workbook with multiple worksheets. One for each month of exactly the same data. I know you can use multiple ranges in a pivot table, but I am having issues that I can not figure out. The out put has row references and the field names are across the top. Any suggestions? Bart Hi, It's not clear what you want, but here is an idea: There is a way to do this using a very sophisticated query technique, but here is a tricky but easy way to do what I think you want: 1. It sounds like you already have creates your pivot table from Multiple Consolidation Ranges. So on the ...

reduce the size of Exchange 2003 database questions please.
Running Exchange 2003 and Windows Server 2003 enterprise My exchange database keeps growing and growing. I’m regularly running maintenance jobs, purging mailboxes and figuring out ways to shrink the database. Can someone explain to me why the database grows when I’m stilling removing mailboxes as needed and doing maintenace? I know I can run eseutil to shrink and defrag the database but I hear a lot of horror stories about running this tool. Another alternative but I want to ask the experts about is what if I decided to create another blank database and move all the mailboxes to ...

delievery receipt question
Using Outlook 2003. I have set it for a delivery receipt on all messages sent. I do not know where to view the receipt is kept. I found this in the help option: ". . . . The contents of the message notifications are then automatically recorded on the Tracking tab of the original message in your Sent Items folder. . . . . . ." I sent a message to myself. After I received it I went to the "sent" folder" opened the message I sent by cannot find any "tracking tab" anywhere. Where should I be looking in that sent message to see that "delivery receipt&quo...

Question regarding CListCtrl style ????
I have CListCtrl and I am trying to define it with m_ListCtrl.SetExtendedStyle(LVS_EX_GRIDLINES | LVS_EX_BORDERSELECT); but the compiler (VC++6.0 ~ Win98) will not recognize the constant LVS_EX_BORDERSELECT. Has this value become obsolete ??? LVS_EX_BORDERSELECT is defined only if _WIN32_IE >= 0x0500 -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "John Larocca" <larocjj@medicine.ufl.edu> wrote in message news:eC8gKEg4DHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have CListCtrl and I am trying to define > it with m_ListCtrl.SetExtendedStyle(LV...

a sizeof question.
I have a struct. but the sizeof == 4.. I already pack(1), why? have some way make the sizeof == 2???? #pragma pack(push) #pragma pack(1) typedef struct { unsigned int permitted_df : 2; unsigned int display_aspect_ratio : 2; unsigned int video_format : 2; unsigned int mpeg_version : 2; unsigned int film_mode : 1; unsigned int letterboxed : 1; unsigned int picture_size : 2; unsigned int bit_rate : 1; unsigned int unknown1 : 1; unsigned int line21_cc_2 : 1; unsigned int line21_cc_1 ...

Importing question
I'm using Publisher to make an award for a science fair. I have all the names of the students (215) participating in Excel listed by the headings Last Name, First Name. I want to create an award that has their name it. Is there a way I can import the names in Excel into the Publisher address manager? Then I'd be able to mail merge. I've tried several times, but it's not letting me. I tried saving the Excel file as a .csv file as well, no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks so much. Dale Dale Rosenthal <drosen32@comcast.net> was very recently heard to utter: > I'm usin...

Question on Smartlist search conditions
I am somewhat puzzled by the behavior of a Smartlist. I need a list of Sales Line items that are on backorder. If I specify a single condition, (Qty to Backorder > 0) I will get Sales Orders (only) that have a backorder qty. (A relative handful) If I spoecify a second condition (doc type = Backorder), I get a whole lot more (a couple of hundred). Now some of the Backorder documents show a qty to backorder of zero (backorders have been fulfilled) and I understand why that happens (the search condition of doctype=Backorder) is met. What is giving me headaches are all of the other Ba...

A question that might could have been an exam question(e-learning)
Hi! The question is that some statement should be put into the right category. The six statements are. 1. Has replaced the ConfigurationSettings class 2. Helps you manage configuration elements 3. Implements a custom section 4. Is used to read from a configuration file 5. Inherit the ConfigurationElement class 6. Is a pointer to configuration files. These 6 statements should be placed into one of these categories ConfigurationSection ConfigurationManager ConfigurationElement 5 of these were quite easy but number "4. Is used to read from a configuration file should...

easy question .... i think
my spreadsheet data goes down to row 297 yet if i scroll alll the way down to the bottom it goes to row 690. How do i get rid of all empty rows ? -- thanks Dean Dean, have a look here : http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Dean" <Dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A0CEBDD-1564-4849-9EE2-0715370B0562@microsoft.com... > my spreadshee...

Trendline question
I have the following data: Ene-08 Feb-08 Mar-08 Abr-08 May-08 Jun-08 Jul-08 8 5000 3802 10400 7600 7400 9800 With this trendline obtaine from the chart: y = 44,772x - 2E+06 How do I forecast Ago-08 Should x=8 If I want to forecast Feb-09 should x=14? Thanks JP Please do not cords post. I have answered this in Charts "juanpablo" <juanpablo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65BC6FFC-0EA3-48E7-BCB2-4A0E76C34076@microsoft.com... > I have the following data: > > Ene-08 Feb-08 Mar-08 Abr-08 May-08 Jun-08 Jul-08 > 8 5000 3802 10...

2 questions #3
1, We set up a secondary exchange server for a group in our office and Now are being told that the equipment we used is now needed for a different projected. How can I quickly, cleanly and completely delete this new server. It is part of the exchange domain but has no mailboxes as of yet. 2, Now and then the outlook users see the RPC error box. It is the balloon error box that shows up in the lower right corner of the window, most of the time saying "Outlook is trying connect to Exchange ... Server". Is there a way to globally disable this message with out visiting the end-user. ...

defender
After my computer downloaded microsoft security essential, the window defender closed and can not open. Is it normal or has any problem? Regards Thomas Lau This group is for Windows Mail. However, what you see is normal. MSE has its own version of Windows Defender built-in, so it automatically removes or disables Windows Defender depending on your Windows version. You have all the protection WD offered and more. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Lau Man Choy Thomas" <laus363@netvigator.com> wrote in message ne...

Msgbox question 01-07-08
hello I have often used DoCmd.MoveSize 1000, 500, 2000, 2500 to position and size forms. Is there a way to position and size Message boxes? -- Thanks No. If you want to do that, create your own form and use that as a "message box", then you can manipulate its location and size. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Sophie" <Sophie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:831A8804-5A40-4C3F-9E48-59AF65E4107B@microsoft.com... > hello > > I have often used DoCmd.MoveSize 1000, 500, 2000, 2500 to position and > size > forms. I...

DST Question
All, Can anyone tell me how recurring appointments that fall within the beginning and ending windows of the new DST will respond once Exchange/Outlook have been patched? I somehow got tasked to explaining this to our user group... My understanding is that recurring appointments that were originally set up within one of the windows will show a 1 hour difference from expected during the windows. For example, in 2006 I created a recurring appointment on March 8, with the time being set to 2:00 Central. My expectation is that during the start window, this appointment will show 3:00 Cent...