Blank DVD disk not recognized by Windows Explorer

(Running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, SP-2, IE-8, WM-6, WLM-09,
classic mode, dial-up.)

If this is not the correct newsgroup, please redirect me.

About once a month I backup many files onto a blank DVD
disk.  Currently, if I insert one of those partially full
DVDs into my drive-E, it is recognized and everything works
normally.  When I started my January backup two days ago I
find that if I insert a blank DVD Windows Explorer does not
recognize it, and tells me to insert a disk.  If I then
again click on the drive-E, the hour-glass curser appears
for several minutes, but nothing else happens.  Per Task
Manager, "Windows Explorer is not responding."  Using Task
Manager is the only way I can close Windows Explorer.  I
have tried this with several partially recorded disks, and
with several blank disks, all from the same manufacturer,
same style, etc.  Process is the same:  Windows Explorer
handles previously used disks as it always has, but fails to
recognize new blank disks.

Suggestions, ideas, and references appreciated.

--
----------
CWLee

0
CWLee

"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message
> (Running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, SP-2, IE-8, WM-6, WLM-09, classic mode,
> dial-up.)
>
> If this is not the correct newsgroup, please redirect me.
>
> About once a month I backup many files onto a blank DVD disk.  Currently,
> if I insert one of those partially full DVDs into my drive-E, it is
> recognized and everything works normally.  When I started my January
> backup two days ago I find that if I insert a blank DVD Windows Explorer
> does not recognize it, and tells me to insert a disk.  If I then again
> click on the drive-E, the hour-glass curser appears for several minutes,
> but nothing else happens.  Per Task Manager, "Windows Explorer is not
> responding."  Using Task Manager is the only way I can close Windows
> Explorer.  I have tried this with several partially recorded disks, and
> with several blank disks, all from the same manufacturer, same style, etc.
> Process is the same:  Windows Explorer handles previously used disks as it
> always has, but fails to recognize new blank disks.
>
> Suggestions, ideas, and references appreciated.

Sounds like the disk is bad.  Are you using an "R" disc which you're leaving
open or an "RW"?  RW's are notorious for getting corrupted.  Do you have
another computer you can try the disk in?
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Michael
1/6/2010 7:04:15 PM

"Michael" <mdsjhu@gropumail.com> wrote

> Sounds like the disk is bad.  Are you using an "R" disc
> which you're leaving open or an "RW"?  RW's are notorious
> for getting corrupted.  Do you have another computer you
> can try the disk in?

The disks are labeled as (Staples brand) DVD+R recordable
disks, 16x speed, up to 16x compatible, 120 minutes, 4.7 GB.
I have been using this brand and type of disks for a couple
of years with no problems.

I don't know what you mean when you talk about leaving a
disk open.  My practice has been to copy and paste
directories/folders from my C-drive into the blank disk on
the E-drive, until it was nearly full, then switch to
another blank disk.  In the past I have always been able to
go to those disks and read/transfer
files/folders/directories from them to some other location
as needed.

My other computers don't have DVD drives, but I am looking
around for a friend who might be willing to see if these
work for him.  I've tried 3 fresh, blank disks, and the
results are the same.

Thanks for your input.

0
CWLee
1/6/2010 10:10:23 PM

> "Michael" <mdsjhu@gropumail.com> wrote
>
>> Sounds like the disk is bad.  Are you using an "R" disc which you're
>> leaving open or an "RW"?  RW's are notorious for getting corrupted.  Do
>> you have another computer you can try the disk in?
>
> The disks are labeled as (Staples brand) DVD+R recordable disks, 16x
> speed, up to 16x compatible, 120 minutes, 4.7 GB. I have been using this
> brand and type of disks for a couple of years with no problems.
>
> I don't know what you mean when you talk about leaving a disk open.  My
> practice has been to copy and paste directories/folders from my C-drive
> into the blank disk on the E-drive, until it was nearly full, then switch
> to another blank disk.  In the past I have always been able to go to those
> disks and read/transfer files/folders/directories from them to some other
> location as needed.
>
> My other computers don't have DVD drives, but I am looking around for a
> friend who might be willing to see if these work for him.  I've tried 3
> fresh, blank disks, and the results are the same.
>
> Thanks for your input.

You're burning using Session at Once, which leaves the disk open to add
files.  Burning using Disk at Once closes the disk so no further files could
be added.  When you burn using session, usually only the computer that
burned the disk can read it until it's closed out.  When you burn using DAO
the disk can be read by most all DVD readers.  If the disk you've been using
as a back-up isn't scratched or damaged in any other way, your burner may be
fried.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Michael
1/6/2010 10:40:13 PM

"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message

> "Michael" <mdsjhu@gropumail.com> wrote
>
>> Sounds like the disk is bad.  Are you using an "R" disc which you're
>> leaving open or an "RW"?  RW's are notorious for getting corrupted.  Do
>> you have another computer you can try the disk in?
>
> The disks are labeled as (Staples brand) DVD+R recordable disks, 16x
> speed, up to 16x compatible, 120 minutes, 4.7 GB. I have been using this
> brand and type of disks for a couple of years with no problems.
>
> I don't know what you mean when you talk about leaving a disk open.  My
> practice has been to copy and paste directories/folders from my C-drive
> into the blank disk on the E-drive, until it was nearly full, then switch
> to another blank disk.  In the past I have always been able to go to those
> disks and read/transfer files/folders/directories from them to some other
> location as needed.
>
> My other computers don't have DVD drives, but I am looking around for a
> friend who might be willing to see if these work for him.  I've tried 3
> fresh, blank disks, and the results are the same.
>
> Thanks for your input.

The "open" disk issue I think refers to the "burning session" - where you
can continue to fill the disk in multiple sessions until it's full, or you
can "close" the disk in one hit - say to send photos to a family member,
which may only use 50% of the disk capacity - closing the disk will prevent
further burning to it.
Re-writeable disks can be written too multiple times, but CD-R's only once,
that is you can burn files in several "sessions" but only until the disk is
full, and it's still an "open" disk.

At least that's my understanding.

0
Andrew
1/6/2010 10:43:03 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939052/en-us

--
Peter

"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message
> (Running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, SP-2, IE-8, WM-6, WLM-09, classic mode, dial-up.)
>
> If this is not the correct newsgroup, please redirect me.
>
> About once a month I backup many files onto a blank DVD disk.  Currently, if I
> insert one of those partially full DVDs into my drive-E, it is recognized and
> everything works normally.  When I started my January backup two days ago I find
> that if I insert a blank DVD Windows Explorer does not recognize it, and tells me
> to insert a disk.  If I then again click on the drive-E, the hour-glass curser
> appears for several minutes, but nothing else happens.  Per Task Manager, "Windows
> Explorer is not responding."  Using Task Manager is the only way I can close
> Windows Explorer.  I have tried this with several partially recorded disks, and
> with several blank disks, all from the same manufacturer, same style, etc.
> Process is the same:  Windows Explorer handles previously used disks as it always
> has, but fails to recognize new blank disks.
>
> Suggestions, ideas, and references appreciated.
>
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
> cows.  Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
> promote for performance, not preferences.

0
Peter
1/7/2010 12:17:43 AM

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote

Thanks for the link.  I went to that site, and there are two
remedies suggested.  One is to turn off Windows Media
Player - and it was not on, so nothing to do there.  The
other was to enable the audio devices, and they were already
all enabled, so nothing to do there.

Other ideas?

Thanks.

0
CWLee
1/7/2010 5:55:59 PM

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote:

Since that Microsoft site says:  "This problem occurs
because of an error in the Mcicda.dll file.", I wonder how
one might get a copy of the proper "Mcicda.dll file" and
then use it to replace the one on my computer that contains
an error.

Ideas?

0
CWLee
1/7/2010 10:48:41 PM
As the OP, I have new, and perhaps significant information
to report on this problem.

I have discovered that the OLD Staples brand DVDs that work
just fine, and some Memorex DVDs that I borrowed to test and
that work just fine, measure .04" in thickness.  The package
I recently purchased of NEW Staples brand DVDs, with
identical labels to the OLD DVDs - the ones that are not
recognized by my computer system - are only .03" in
thickness.

I don't know enough about how DVD readers/writers work to
understand whether such a difference in thickness fully
explains my problems or not - but I suspect it does.

Comments?

==========================

"CWLee" <cdubyalee@post.harvard.edu> wrote in message
> (Running Vista Ultimate 64-bit, SP-2, IE-8, WM-6, WLM-09,
> classic mode, dial-up.)
>
> If this is not the correct newsgroup, please redirect me.
>
> About once a month I backup many files onto a blank DVD
> disk.  Currently, if I insert one of those partially full
> DVDs into my drive-E, it is recognized and everything
> works normally.  When I started my January backup two days
> ago I find that if I insert a blank DVD Windows Explorer
> does not recognize it, and tells me to insert a disk.  If
> I then again click on the drive-E, the hour-glass curser
> appears for several minutes, but nothing else happens.
> Per Task Manager, "Windows Explorer is not responding."
> Using Task Manager is the only way I can close Windows
> Explorer.  I have tried this with several partially
> recorded disks, and with several blank disks, all from the
> same manufacturer, same style, etc.  Process is the same:
> Windows Explorer handles previously used disks as it
> always has, but fails to recognize new blank disks.
>
> Suggestions, ideas, and references appreciated.
>
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
> cows.  Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas,
> and
> promote for performance, not preferences.

0
CWLee
1/9/2010 9:20:18 AM

> As the OP, I have new, and perhaps significant information to report on
> this problem.
>
> I have discovered that the OLD Staples brand DVDs that work just fine, and
> some Memorex DVDs that I borrowed to test and that work just fine, measure
> .04" in thickness.  The package I recently purchased of NEW Staples brand
> DVDs, with identical labels to the OLD DVDs - the ones that are not
> recognized by my computer system - are only .03" in thickness.
>
> I don't know enough about how DVD readers/writers work to understand
> whether such a difference in thickness fully explains my problems or not -
> but I suspect it does.
>
> Comments?

Never thought of that.  I haven't had that problem in years, but there was a
time when some CD/DVD burners didn't like a specific brand of
blank....namely the cheaper brands.  After that I've always stuck with name
brands.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

Michael
1/9/2010 1:50:48 PM
...You recently install Itunes on your system? If it isn't recognizing
certain discs, you may want to try deleting the registry filters. I've
not heard of a DVD ROM Drive not recognizing a certain brand of DVD's.
Usually you shouldn't have a  problem with it at all.

Follow this link mate, then try your DVD's that are not working
properly.

**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060**

--
Timmah

If I helped you, No need to thank me, just give me some + Rep :)
0
Timmah
1/9/2010 4:21:05 PM

"Timmah" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

> ..You recently install Itunes on your system?

No.  Have never installed it/them on my system.

> If it isn't recognizing
> certain discs, you may want to try deleting the registry
> filters. I've
> not heard of a DVD ROM Drive not recognizing a certain
> brand of DVD's.
> Usually you shouldn't have a  problem with it at all.

"Usually" is true, and I think this is one of the "unusual"
times.  :-(  My current hypothesis is that the thinner than
usual disk thickness is the culprit.

> Follow this link mate, then try your DVD's that are not
> working
> properly.
>
> **http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060**

Thanks for the link.  I went there, and it relates to a
system not recognizing a DRIVE, which is not my problem.  My
system recognizes my drive, and the drive works fine for
some disks, but not for others.

> If I helped you, No need to thank me, just give me some +
> Rep :)

Hmmmm.  Is "+ Rep" the name of an Australian candy bar,
beer, or skin lotion?  :-)

Best regards to all.

0
CWLee
1/9/2010 5:03:50 PM
On 09/01/2010 09:20, CWLee wrote:

> As the OP, I have new, and perhaps significant information to report
> on this problem.
>
> I have discovered that the OLD Staples brand DVDs that work just fine,
> and some Memorex DVDs that I borrowed to test and that work just fine,
> measure .04" in thickness.  The package I recently purchased of NEW
> Staples brand DVDs, with identical labels to the OLD DVDs - the ones
> that are not recognized by my computer system - are only .03" in
> thickness.
>
> I don't know enough about how DVD readers/writers work to understand
> whether such a difference in thickness fully explains my problems or
> not - but I suspect it does.
>
> Comments?

I think you are 'spot on'! :)

*How* did you notice the discrepancy?

You might enjoy exploring here to learn more!
http://library.thinkquest.org/26171/p2.html

HTH
--
Dave (Sometimes man stumbles over the truth ...... Sir Winston Churchill)
0

"~BD~" <BoaterDave@removetheobvious.hotmail.co.uk> wrote

> *How* did you notice the discrepancy?

First, by feel.  With first one, then the other, DVD between
my thumb and index finger there "seemed" to be a difference,
but I didn't trust that subjective sense.  Then I held them
up to a white, well lighted wall, edge to edge.  Again, it
"looked" like one was thinner, but I didn't trust my
eyesight.  So, I went to my tool box and got out an
inexpensive micrometer.  Bingo!  A clear difference.

> You might enjoy exploring here to learn more!
> http://library.thinkquest.org/26171/p2.html

Went there, and I note under differences between CDs and
DVDs that the thickness of a DVD is given as 1.2 mm.  My
micrometer has a switch to go between inches and
millimeters, and when I checked the DVDs with the micrometer
calibrated in mm, the DVDs that work are 1.2 mm, and the
ones that do not are 1.0 mm.  I don't know how accurate this
particular micrometer is (it cost less than $15 a few years
ago) but I believe these measurements do verify a
significant difference of thickness.

Thanks for your input.

Best regards.

0
CWLee

help me please! windows media center problem(s)! (does same on 360
windows media center is gathering all my system sounds along with my songs into the library and when i play 360 it is so annoying because sometimes i can have 5 different system sounds in a row between songs so i have to keep the remote handy. any solutions? deleting them from windows library would help when on computer but i figure it would be gathered again when on the 360 streaming from the computer. thanks in advance rami5079@gmail.com or the forum if its too much of a inconvenience. What version of WMP and Windows? Make sure that WMP's list of monitored folder...

Delete blank rows Macro
Using MS Excel 2000. Help creating a macro please. I need to search the range A1:A10000 and if the cell is blank I want to delete the entire row. Thanks in advance. -- Richard "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD28F95E-58CF-4961-A3AD-E37FC68AE0F4@microsoft.com... > Using MS Excel 2000. > Help creating a macro please. > > I need to search the range A1:A10000 and if the cell is blank I want to > delete the entire row. > > Thanks in advance. > -- > Richard Something like Sub DeleteRowsIfBlank() Dim lrow as Long...

Outlook and dial up window
When I open Outlook 2000 in XP a dial up window is also sometimes displayed. This appears to be quite random. Where is the control switch located/ ...

Report = Blank?
Hello, I have a report that I got from this forum, and when I use it, everything is fine. The problem I am currently having though is if say I try and generate the report using RegisterID & Date then I get a blank report...if I try one or the other, then I am fine...I pretty much tried every angle with RegisterID and with Date, and nothing...any advise would be great, as I have seen this happen with other reports as well, where the final outcome is a blank report. Thank You, Vince "When I run into problems, we more often than not fix them ourselves. Can't put a price on ...

Upgrading CRM Webserver to WIndows 2003
Hey there, I have just recently upgraded my CRM WEbserver (IIS, Workflow with SQL separate) to Windows 2003 Server (Std Edition) ... now the CRM security service will not start. Can anyone point to me why this would begin occurring andhow to fix. Many thanks Chris. Any messages in the Event log? "Chris Ward" <cward@NOSPAM.fns.com.au> wrote in message news:eY7wwmUoEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hey there, > > > I have just recently upgraded my CRM WEbserver (IIS, Workflow with SQL > separate) to Windows 2003 Server (Std Edition) ... now the CRM secur...

Outlook 2003, how to recognize replied email
I've been a long time user of Outlook Express, am now using Outlook 2003. After replying to an email from the inbox in Outlook 2003, why doesn't the icon change showing me that I've replied to the email after doing so? Am I missing something, how do you tell if a reply has been made. Please send me a direct reply to skidown92.removethis@hotmail.com Thanks ...

background sound in windows mail
Did anyone ever figure out why this doesn't work. I spent hours searching for, downloading and editing a clip of a song I want to attach in emails to prospective employers to make my resume stand out from others. It is not open in another program. I already went into security and did the unblock and send pictures in HTML. My windows mail has a format button which has a background button and sounds button. But no go, I keep getting this message that one or more of my pictures....blah blah blah. How do I fix this? -- gg Create a new html message. Then click in the m...

Deleting Blank Characters in a Cell
I have a list of names with email addresses of attendees of a seminar series that I am trying to compile into a list that can be copied and pasted into an email (using BCC as the methodology for emailing). The challenge that I have is that when these files were exported from the database to excel (not sure how), all of the cells contain exactly 100 characters even though the email address may only contain 13-20 characters. Is there a way to "trim" the blank characters after the last character that is used by a letter instead of blank character field? Thanks in advance! PZan --...

Blank .msg attachments
Here's an odd one, When an email has been forwarded to, or replyed to and is using the 'attach as attachment' option (as opposed to embed text), the message is delivered with attachment, but the attachment appears blank. It is only .msg attachments that have this problem, everything else gets thru fine (.doc, ..xls, .exe etc.) The attachment is 64bytes long, and has nothing in it. Exchange 2003, Windows 2003 and Outlook 2003 being used. Any ideas anyone? -- The man with no shoes. MCSE (W2K3, W2K), MCSA (W2K3, W2K), MCSE+I (NT4), CCNA + others.... All replies to group pleas...

Windows update
Hi all I plan to fix the code at the link below and use it to audit and analyze windows updates on a large fleet of laptops (around 1000). http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=806 My plan is to store everything in a table but it would be nice to retain raw data each time a laptop is audited (replace if one exists). How will Excel handle that many sheets (Atom processor; 2ghz Ram; Windows 7)? -- Steve I just ran the code from your link and it ran without a hitch. It wrote six columns with 700 rows. It looks like the Description column can be omitted. ...

Blank Cells #4
Hello, I am trying to do the following: 1 - In Cell A4 display the SUM of A1 + A2 + A3 if at least one of these cells is not empty. 2 - In Cell A6 display A5-A4 if both cells are not empty. How can I do this? Thank You, Miguel = Sum(A1:A3) ...and... =IF(AND(LEN(A5),LEN(A4)),A5-A4,"") -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware (free and commercial excel programs) "Shapper" <mdmoura@gmail.com> wrote in message news:25110584.2678.1325119728434.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yqnd19... > Hello, > > I am trying to do ...

conditional formatting:highlight row based on blank or non-blank c
Does anyone know if, and how, is possible to use Conditional Formatting feature to automatically highlight the whole row if a specific cell in that row is non-blank (or blank)? Thank you! Hi, Yes, first select your row then in your conditional formatting select "formula is" from the drop down menu and type: =ISBLANK($A1)=FALSE or =ISBLANK($A1)=TRUE depending on weather you want the condition to apply when your cell is blank or non blank. HTH JG -- pinmaster ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum....

False Positive with CA and Windows Update
After applying the most recent virus update (7318) Windows Update fails to work properly. When accessing the page I get a message asking me to install the software for Windows Update. When I click on "Install" I get a pop up message from CA saying that it has detected win32/asuspect.haeof in wuweb.dll and quarantined it. Then windows update does not continue. This is happening on all three of our computers. Windows update worked fine immediately before applying this update. When I do a complete virus scan it comes up clean. CA confirms there is a False positive and t...

SBS 2008 does NOT recognize all memory.
Hello guys, I'm new in this forum. I was interested of professional and well skilled answers in problem solving discussions. I'll be glad if I can help with anything, but now I have strange problem with SBS 2008. I've got brand new server HP ML150G6 E5504 4x2GB 250GB and installed SBS 2008 everything is fine except that recognize only 4GB out of 8GB. I didn't find any bios option to solve the problem. In System Information I found that it sees all 8GB as installed memory but in Physical memory section says 4GB. When open Task manager there are also 4GB. Strange pr...

email address on Service Call Entry window
Add an email address field to the Service Call Entry window for the customer contact on the service call. Even if it is not pulled from the email address of the address id on the service call, at least the dispatcher could enter an email address on the service call in order to communicate with the customer regarding the call. It is common to take email address as part of contact information. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the m...

Counting With Blank Rows
Hi, If I have a column of numbers like this: 4 5 6 3 7 8 9 3 2 7 4 1 4 How do I count the number of items between the blanks so it will look like I have it in the example. The number to the right and bottom is the count. So, for the numbers 4,5 6 the count is three. For 7,8 9 the count is three and for the numbers 2,7,4,1 the count is four. Is there a way to do this withoug using a macro? Thanks. Hi, You need to use the "count" function. If the rows in your example are 1-12 and the column is A, for the first group you'd type in (in column B) "=count(a1:a...

Outlook 2008 send/receive detail windows
Why won't the send/receive details windows make an appearance unless I bang on the send/receive button a couple times and then it goes through as many cycles. I want to see the popup window as designed. I think I did the option right but who knows. Help please. TIA Oops, that should be Outlook 2007 SP1. Sorry "Amos" <amos@donchuwish.com> wrote in message news:qapSj.145243$yE1.49939@attbi_s21... > Why won't the send/receive details windows make an appearance unless I > bang on the send/receive button a couple times and then it goes through as > many cycles....

Folder security in Windows CE 6.0
Does any one let me know whether folder security (user should not be able to delete the folder or folder can be password protected) can be implemented in windows CE 6.0? Can anyone please let me know how i can implement it? Thanks Vikram G Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice BOOK REVIEW: C# In Depth by Jon Skeet (Manning) http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/42abae52-2297-42bb-b020-2b02f9f436a9/book-review-c-in-depth.aspx On 1/12/2010 11:00 AM, Vikram G wrote: > Does any one let me know whether folder security (user should n...

Charting blanks as spaces
I know you can chart blank cells as spaces by clicking it in the options...this is a little different. The cell it is charting as an if function in it to display a blank cell. example: =if(D3="","",D5-D3) So when D3 is blank it should display in cell D6 a blank. But when it charts it, it charts it as a zero. I want it to chart it as a gap. I tried =if(D3="",NA(),D5-D3), This way i get a "#N/A" error in my cell, which i can hide through conditional formating. but when i click display>data labels>values in chart options it displays "#...

Stationery on every email killing disk space
I am writing this email for an Exchange admin who is constantly running out of disk space on her Exchange server. This is Exchange 2000 with outlook 2000 clients. Someone told the admin that since all of the clients send HTML emails on company stationery, the stationery is taking 80% of her disk space. Apparently no one removes messages from their SENT folder. 1. Does anyone know of a utility that can remove/strip stationery from all folders except the OUTBOX? 2. Does anyone know how to compact or zip all the files in the Exchange folders? 3. Does anyone know if there is a way to trash SEN...

Money 2007 and Windows Vista
Hi, I installed Windows Vista RC1 and Microsoft Money 2007 but I can´t import or use my backup files of MOney from Windows XP. I only can start a new file. It worries to me enough that cannot use Money 2007 in Vista. It will be solved in the final version? Thnak you In microsoft.public.money, Noalbi wrote: >Hi, I installed Windows Vista RC1 and Microsoft Money 2007 but I can�t import >or use my backup files of MOney from Windows XP. I only can start a new file. >It worries to me enough that cannot use Money 2007 in Vista. It will be >solved in the final version? You ...

Blank, yet not blank
Hi, I copied some info from a database and pasted it to Excel where I wanted to manipulate the data. I notice that some of the cells, though appearing to be blank (and not showing 0 either), still responded to a simple formula like IF(OR(A1="",A1=0),1,0) giving the answer as 1. Can anyone tell me what's happening here, as it does mean I need to unneccessarily extend the formulas to exclude these cells. Rob "Rob" wrote: > Hi, > > I copied some info from a database and pasted it to Excel where I wanted to > manipulate the data. I notice that so...

BLANK FORM / QUERY
My database is pretty basic with tables, forms, queries etc. I'd like to display a form that allows me to type in a figure in the first field and the rest of the fields will populate automatically. I'm not sure how to create a query where the field awaits input. Thanks in advance. -- TomMurray In the query's criteria box, use square brackets: [Enter a value] or from a form: [Forms]![FormName]![txBoxName] in the first case, you will be prompted. In the second, you will only be prompted if the form isn't open. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http:/...

Publisher website won't load images in Mozilla, only in Explorer
Hello, I have been updating my Publisher-made website (www.softclothing.net) since March, and it has always worked on all browsers. My last attempt to update however somehow made it so my site now only loads proberly in Explorer, not mozilla (not sure about other browsers) any suggestions? Please repost in the web group: microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign and we will help you there. And when you do, please be a bit more specific...which version of Publisher, what is not loading correctly, etc. In the meantime, go to Tools > Options > Web tab and uncheck "Rely on VML...&q...

Blank Records in Catalog Merge
I am printing a directory with the following information: Name Child's Name Phone Number Address The records that do not have an entry under "Child's Name" are coming out like this: Name Phone Number Address (...with a blank space where the "Child's Name" field would be.) Even worse (and more confusing when reading the final document) is when the record has neither a "Child's Name" entry nor a "Phone Number" entry, and you get this: Name Address Basically, I want it to ignore the line if there is no data in the field. Accord...