Backup program

              I am looking for a good easy to use backup program. I now have
Norton  Ghost and it is hard to use. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

                               thank you,
                            (jbrown15@hvc.rr.com)

0
JBrown

Acronis TrueImage HOME edition is easy to use. It does help though if you
read the help file and learn a bit about partitions and file structures.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"JBrown" <jbrown15@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>              I am looking for a good easy to use backup program. I now
> have Norton  Ghost and it is hard to use. Any suggestions will be
> appreciated.
>
>                               thank you,
>                            (jbrown15@hvc.rr.com)

0
Richard
11/30/2009 3:52:47 PM
If you want to make a back-up of your entire drive be aware that regardless
of program when crunch times comes the restoration may not complete
properly.
I have not seen any back-up program that is entirely reliable.
It isn't that they never work its just that, like Windows System Restore, it
often does not work when you need it the most.
A free alternative that seems to work as well as paid programs is
DriveImage.
If you wiped your old OS and used Windows 7 upgrade disc you may wish you
had a usable backup of your pre-Win 7 OS.
It is easiest to restore a back-up of your hard drive if the backup is on a
second internal hard drive.

0
igotsaurus
11/30/2009 4:10:09 PM
NortonGhost maybe difficult to use for your purpose.
But it wasn't meant to be "easy backup", it's the world's best disk imaging
(in my opinion) utility, you're not using it quite for what it was meant.

So indeed you need something different.
Other people will suggest, but all I do is a straightforward simple thing!!
I KNOW exactly what folders I store my stuff into, and I just copy them or
changed folders to external drive, and done.  Quick.
Sometimes I forget what changed so I dump the whole folder onto external
drive, takes longer but still why pay to ANYONE for dedicated backup
software.
That's fine for a private person at home.
Of course for corporate user with humongous amount of data constantly in
flux, you do need an automated, not manual backup.

Here at home I just knoe w afew folers where i store personal stuff and only
that gets written to external drive.
PLUS I periodically collect applications settings/user environment by
running Windows7 Settings Xfer + idnividual softwares own utitlies, sounds
complicated but really 25 minutes and done once in a few months.
I have about 1.2GB Windows settings & environment file
Plus I copy entire Users-->[myuserID]-->Local & Rioaming--.AppData-->all
that. 9Applications settings).
Even that is OPTIONAL.
In case of fatal disaster not having these records only means you need to
configure each application after installation, again, waste of time bit no
tmuch more than that..... to avoid wastign time I keep settings along with
user data.

0
Stan
11/30/2009 4:58:46 PM
Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect.

"JBrown" <jbrown15@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
>              I am looking for a good easy to use backup program. I now
> have Norton  Ghost and it is hard to use. Any suggestions will be
> appreciated.
>
>                               thank you,
>                            (jbrown15@hvc.rr.com)

0
rak
11/30/2009 6:39:23 PM
On Nov 30, 10:38=A0am, "JBrown" <jbrow...@hvc.rr.com> wrote:
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 I am looking for a good easy to use backup pr=
ogram. I now have
> Norton =A0Ghost and it is hard to use. Any suggestions will be appreciate=
d.

> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0thank you,
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 (jbrow...@hvc.rr.=
com)

Choose carefully!

You might want to look into Rebit...

http://www.rebit.com/

I bought the software and devoted a Maxtor drive to it, but I haven't
tried it yet. I plan to reinstall Vista and an going to wait until
then.

Bill
0
vista
12/1/2009 1:51:09 AM
Richard Urban wrote:
> Acronis TrueImage HOME edition is easy to use. It does help though if
> you read the help file and learn a bit about partitions and file
> structures.

Acronis has a nasty twist, IMO. It creates a hidden partition. I
installed a 1Tb external drive and immediately loaded Acronis. The drive
showed only 500 odd Gb after that, and my first reaction was that I had
been shipped a smaller drive than I had ordered. It took several days to
find the problem and then straighten it out. The Acronis I had installed
originally was ver 11; I installed the current ver 12 and I haven't seen
any trace of that drive since then. I loathe, detest and hate hidden
files and partitions, and if I were king they would be illegal. I am a
retired banker and bankers want to be able to see everything, and with
good audit trails.
Allen
0
Allen
12/1/2009 2:50:52 AM
"rak" <rakess@charter.net> wrote:

> Macrium Reflect.

Only a single experience with it, but it looks like what I have
been needing for many years, for the single purpose of copying the
Windows partition/drive and restoring it to the same drive. It
gives an option to restore the boot sector to exactly the way it
was when the copy was made. Having used many different disk
managers over the years, after Windows 98, I have regularly had a
problem with probably either BOOT.INI or the boot sector somehow
being changed between when the copy was made and the copy was
restored. And the thing makes the copy without even exiting
Windows. And the copy is much smaller than my primary SSD drive
that it copies. And it handled the SSD drive properly. Yup,
preliminarily speaking, it looks like my new baby.
0
John
12/1/2009 3:27:11 AM
JBrown;1195818 Wrote:
> I am looking for a good easy to use backup program. I now have
> Norton Ghost and it is hard to use. Any suggestions will be
> appreciated.
>
> thank you,
> (jbrown15@newsgroup)

I just posted this (
http://www.vistax64.com/software/261727-image-your-system-free-macrium.html
). Could not be any easier. And you are right on Ghost - I use it too.
Took me a year to really understand it.

--
whs
0

Here is a good reason for that partition.

A few years back I spent about 10 hours setting up a companies server. When
I was done I created an image of the system using PowerQuest Drive Image. I
saved the image to another hard drive on the server and to an external hard
drive.

The owner called me in because the server had crashed (bad primary hard
drive. No problem. I installed a new hard drive and was about to restore the
image when the s**t hit the fan. My image was not there. I went to the
external hard drive. The image was not there.

Upon questioning the owner it came to be that he was house cleaning and
forgot that I told him to never touch the image files. He deleted the files
to get more space on each of the hard drives (even though they were 50%
empty). You can't account for stupidity.

Had I been able to store the image in a hidden partition on the second drive
I would have been able to restore his server in 10-15 minutes. Now it was
going to take another 10 hours to build it back up from scratch.

I was so pissed that I didn't care about the money. I cursed him out, called
him the jackass that he was and walked out of his building to never return.

--

"Allen" <allent@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Richard Urban wrote:
>> Acronis TrueImage HOME edition is easy to use. It does help though if you
>> read the help file and learn a bit about partitions and file structures.
>>
> Acronis has a nasty twist, IMO. It creates a hidden partition. I installed
> a 1Tb external drive and immediately loaded Acronis. The drive showed only
> 500 odd Gb after that, and my first reaction was that I had been shipped a
> smaller drive than I had ordered. It took several days to find the problem
> and then straighten it out. The Acronis I had installed originally was ver
> 11; I installed the current ver 12 and I haven't seen any trace of that
> drive since then. I loathe, detest and hate hidden files and partitions,
> and if I were king they would be illegal. I am a retired banker and
> bankers want to be able to see everything, and with good audit trails.
> Allen

0
Richard

> It only creates that partition if you tell it to!
>
> Here is a good reason for that partition.
>
> A few years back I spent about 10 hours setting up a companies server.
> When I was done I created an image of the system using PowerQuest Drive
> Image. I saved the image to another hard drive on the server and to an
> external hard drive.
>
> The owner called me in because the server had crashed (bad primary hard
> drive. No problem. I installed a new hard drive and was about to restore
> the image when the s**t hit the fan. My image was not there. I went to the
> external hard drive. The image was not there.
>
> Upon questioning the owner it came to be that he was house cleaning and
> forgot that I told him to never touch the image files. He deleted the
> files to get more space on each of the hard drives (even though they were
> 50% empty). You can't account for stupidity.
>
> Had I been able to store the image in a hidden partition on the second
> drive I would have been able to restore his server in 10-15 minutes. Now
> it was going to take another 10 hours to build it back up from scratch.
>
> I was so pissed that I didn't care about the money. I cursed him out,
> called him the jackass that he was and walked out of his building to never
> return.
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience & Security

Now that's funny.  An MVP admitting to cursing out a client, being a dick
head and losing a customer.  Nice job!

0
Kevin
12/1/2009 7:00:51 PM
another name to killfile ... you
0
Stan
12/1/2009 7:52:57 PM
vista bill wrote:
> On Nov 30, 10:38 am, "JBrown" <jbrow...@hvc.rr.com> wrote:
>>               I am looking for a good easy to use backup program. I now have
>> Norton  Ghost and it is hard to use. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>>
>>                                thank you,
>>                             (jbrow...@hvc.rr.com)
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Choose carefully!
>
> You might want to look into Rebit...
>
> http://www.rebit.com/
>

> I bought the software and devoted a Maxtor drive to it, but I haven't
> tried it yet. I plan to reinstall Vista and an going to wait until
> then.
>

> Bill

Bill,
I bought a copy for one of my laptops. It is as easy as they advertised.
The only drawback is you need a dedicated drive the same size as your
hard drive and it doesn't let you select what you want to backup. In my
case, I already had the drive and I don't want the user to be able to
screw with the backup parameters. It was just what I wanted. Now he just
needs to remember to plug it in :-)

The first backup takes a while but after that it only backs up the
changes. It can also do a full restore. I tested them both and they
worked. You can find on sale for less than $30 us

gls858
0
gls858
12/1/2009 8:56:43 PM
Fingers crossed, but after several uses I have had zero issues.  Good luck.

"John Doe" <jdoe@usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message
> "rak" <rakess@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> Macrium Reflect.
>
> Only a single experience with it, but it looks like what I have
> been needing for many years, for the single purpose of copying the
> Windows partition/drive and restoring it to the same drive. It
> gives an option to restore the boot sector to exactly the way it
> was when the copy was made. Having used many different disk
> managers over the years, after Windows 98, I have regularly had a
> problem with probably either BOOT.INI or the boot sector somehow
> being changed between when the copy was made and the copy was
> restored. And the thing makes the copy without even exiting
> Windows. And the copy is much smaller than my primary SSD drive
> that it copies. And it handled the SSD drive properly. Yup,
> preliminarily speaking, it looks like my new baby.

0
rak
12/1/2009 9:20:03 PM

"Stan Starinski" <China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo> wrote in
message news:e1QhD0rcKHA.744@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> another name to killfile ... you

Oh now.  I am so upset that a mental case is going to killfile me.  What am
I gunna do?  I know.  I'll have a good laugh.  Just FYI.

0
Kevin
12/1/2009 9:24:28 PM
Strangely, I have to power off the computer instead of just
restart, when using the default restore CD. But that is a minor
issue, considering the fact that restores are done much less
frequently than backups. My second trial restore went just as well
as the first, except for having to completely shut down before
booting to the restore CD (but, again, that is a trivial issue).

"rak" <rakess@charter.net> wrote:

> Fingers crossed, but after several uses I have had zero issues.  Good luck.
>
> "John Doe" <jdoe@usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message
>> "rak" <rakess@charter.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Macrium Reflect.
>>
>> Only a single experience with it, but it looks like what I have
>> been needing for many years, for the single purpose of copying the
>> Windows partition/drive and restoring it to the same drive. It
>> gives an option to restore the boot sector to exactly the way it
>> was when the copy was made. Having used many different disk
>> managers over the years, after Windows 98, I have regularly had a
>> problem with probably either BOOT.INI or the boot sector somehow
>> being changed between when the copy was made and the copy was
>> restored. And the thing makes the copy without even exiting
>> Windows. And the copy is much smaller than my primary SSD drive
>> that it copies. And it handled the SSD drive properly. Yup,
>> preliminarily speaking, it looks like my new baby.

0
John

E-mail Preview Programs #3
I use two e-mail preview programs - they both are not 100% accurate although they used to be. I receive � 100 messages per day. (I've been using PCs since the early '90s and was not careful at first 'cause I didn't know better.) Luckily, the preview programs make it easy to delete junk. The first program is MailWasher Pro. The second is not really a program but a web site: that of Adelphia, my ISP. My e-mail program is MS Outlook. Let's say a preview program indicates that I have 60 e-mail messages. I delete 50 of them, leaving me 10 messages. Then I download the remainin...

Backup
When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I am getting the message: Unhandled Script Exception Script '[693]()' not found Exception_Class_Script_Missing Script_CMD_Userfunc I cannot find anything in the Knowledge Base to help me resolve this. Can anyone help me? Thanks! >-----Original Message----- >When I try to make a backup from withing Great Plains, I >am getting the message: > >Unhandled Script Exception >Script '[693]()' not found >Exception_Class_Script_Missing >Script_CMD_Userfunc > >I cannot find anything in the Knowle...

Does Outlook's Auto Archive Always APPEND TO or OVERWRITE a Previous Backup?
I ask because in another thread it was stated that auto-archive always appends, but lots of advice on multiple sites caution the user that it always over-writes. If it always appends, then I can use it. If it always overwrites, I can't. I think this is a very important distinction for the user and thus we should know one way or the other which is true append or over-write. Thanks. Yes, it always appends, because it is adding individual items to the = folders in the archive .pst file, not overwriting that file.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programmi...

Group Policy Backup
Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? Howdie! Am 01.07.2010 15:50, schrieb Venkat: > Is there a way that a Group Policy Object can be backed up on a Server Core > machine? Like we do using GPMC in a full dc. Using Powershell? GPMC delivers Scripts you can use to back them up. You can also download them seperately: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=38c1a89b-a6d2-4f2a-a944-9236999aee65&displaylang=en There should be plenty of scripting that...

pst file backup program(pfbackup.exe) installation problem.
Trying to instal the above, but getting errors. 1. "Setup has detected that you already have a version of pfbackup installed on this machine. ....must uninstall.... Answer YES to next qurstion. Click OK. 2. Are you sure you want to uninstall? YES 3. This action is only valid for products that are installed. YES 4. Please uninstall previous versions of PFbackup using the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel. OK No matter how hard I look, it isn't there. Also tried looking under different (administrator) logon accounts. Any ideas? Is there a .dll file somewhere? Sugge...

backup to a file?
hi, can I backup my exchange 2003 to a file (instead of backing up to a tape drive)?. I will then copy the file to elsewhere. Our exchange server is in a different (distant)location and for some reason the tape drive is not workng. So until that gets resolved, I need to have some other way.(temporarily) I am referring to the 'file' destination option in windows backup. Is this possible and also, will doing this cause any issues while restoring?(if needed) thanks!!! Yes. Just specify a path and ntbackup will create you a bkf file which you can copy whereever. -- Thanks, Bria...

Great Plains Backup
Is it possible to schedule a GP backup? If yes how can this be done? You can schedule backups for system and company databases to occur on the days and the times that you specify. Only a system administrator can open the Schedule Backup window to schedule database backups. To schedule a database backup: 1. Open the Schedule Backup window. (File >> Backup >> Schedule button) 2. Enter a name for the schedule. 3. Select the company to back up. The path where the database will be backed up is displayed. You can modify the path, as needed. 4. Mark the days to ...

Backup
I have DataBase in SqlServer 2008.I Had taken database backup in full mode Around 10 days before. After that i ddi not take any other type of back.At the time of backup one table has around 1000 records.Now Accidentally Row has been deleted Now It has No Data.Before deletion now it has Around 3000 Records Is Their is Any Way to recover those deleted Rows From Full back Up Has the database been in full recovery model all the time since the full backup was taken? -- Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp http://sqlblog.com/blogs/tibor_karaszi ...

NT Backup and other backup issues
I'm getting an error when I try to schedule a backup system every day at a certain time. (0x8070005) I'm using an Admin account. ??? Is there any software that can backup files without changing them into a backup format? If I have 1000 files in 100 folders I'd like to see 1000 files in 100 folders in the backup location. Does any backup software do this? And it would have to be done incrementally so you're not backing up the same thing over and over for nothing. "FrankEdwards" <no@frank.here> wrote in message news:op.vbmurnheq6rutr@-...

what program would be best for listing movie in alphabetical orde.
You can list the movies in a column in Excel, then use Data>Sort to sort the list. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlSort01.html knighthawk080 wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html Nothing wrong with Excel if you have it. Also MS Access from Office Suite. There are other DB applications other than Microsoft Office products that would be equally as efficient. Where does your movies list come from? What is the layout and Format? Some types of lists are easier to import...

BACKUPS #2
When I back up my Money 2006 (internally or to a CD) does that backup info include the Portfolio Manager data as well or does the Portfolio Manager info require a seperate backup? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, hogbreath wrote: >When I back up my Money 2006 (internally or to a CD) does that backup info >include the Portfolio Manager data as well or does the Portfolio Manager info >require a seperate backup? Thanks. It's included. ========= 2006 suggested backup procedure Money 2006 introduces a useful multiple backup file feature. In M06: Tools->Settings->Bac...

Backup file #2
How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? Thanks, Tom Try Tools - Options - Save. This will automatically save a copy of your file every x minutes to the directory of your choice. HTH -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "tkanasoot@yahoo.com" wrote: > How do I create a backup file to be stored at different directory? How to > specify the directory that I want the backup file to be stored? > > Thanks, > Tom Do I need to set up my file to always create backup? Does this...

Exchange Front End Backup Frequency
Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End Exchange 2003 Standard 2003 AD native/native Front end has empty store mounted for SMTP forwarding. What frequncy would you recommend backing up the front end server since it holds no real changing data? Can I get away with once every week? (hopefully) Backend has sufficient backups every day in place. Thanks for your help, Harry On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:34:14 -0400, "Harry Bates" <harry@NOSPAMrocksystems.net> wrote: >Server 2003 Enterprise Front End and Back End >Exchange 2003 Standard >2003 AD native/native &...

programming MS money to automate payroll
My employees start earning OT after 8 hours @ a rate of time and a half to the minute. Can I automate money to figure a daily wage per employee then, based simply on hours and minutes worked per day? Can money automatically calculate each employee with differing pay rates? How much will MS money "premium," do in the payroll department? Thanks for any help. I do not currently have MS money but am considering it in lieu of online payroll management. Money Premium is designed for home use. It has no support for such things. The Small Business version might do this, but I rather d...

Getting VISTA Control panel\Programs look and feel....
Hi All, In one of my application development, I need to present the information similar to how VISTA shows in Programs (which is under Control Panel). I could not get what has been done to get this look? If you go to "Control Panel" and then if you go to "Programs" in that, it has "Programs and Features" option. Just below the "Programs and Features" it has various options "Uninstall a program", "Turn windows features on or off" etc. It appears to me that it is a list control. But in the rows there is a line (seperator kind ...

Exmerge Backup
hi we have exchange 2003 on and windows 2003 server. i login as administrator and i want to take backup of all the mailbox that are present useing Exmerge. but Exmerge doesnt recomend to change the permissions of administrator (recieve as and send as permissions which are denyed by default) . i have created a user who has admin previlages and i have created security group with receive and send as permissions set and made this user a memeber of that serurity group. now how do i run exmerge do i have to login to windows using this login or how how do i login to exchange with this user...

Backup OneNote files to CD
I lost a lot of my one note files when I purchased a new computer. I put them on CD but could not restore them from CD. I did not use the backup facility, as I am a new user of onenote and was unaware of this function. I now use back up regularly. My question is: is this the correct way to save files so I can put them on a CD and be able to restore them back in onenote should the need arise? I don't want to take a chance of losing any more files. -- John -------- Original-Nachricht -------- > I lost a lot of my one note files when I purchased a new computer. I put ...

Backup always
How can I configure Excel so that when it opens ANY file (EXCEL), and save, it will 'Always Create Backups'. That is, want the default behavior for Excel to save a back of any file it saves; not just new ons, and not want to have to check every file before saving, please. (Used to be able to do this:~( You could try something like this, Michael: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=456 ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Michael Sullivan" <Michael Sullivan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Best practice .pst files on network shares for backup purposes
We encourage our users to periodically move their e-mail items from the users mailbox to a .pst folder thus preventing their exchange mailboxes from 'growing bigger and bigger. Those .pst files resided in the C:\Documents and Settings\{user profile name}\Local folders but because we had a couple of problems with users with a corrupt / lost .pst file and the fact that we don't have backups of their local disks we decided to put the .pst files on a network share. This way we'd always have a backup on tape of the file in case something went wrong But it seems Microsoft doesn't a...

Exchange backup failing! Backup exec 10d and Windows backup
Hi I've got a 2 node active/passive Exchange 2003 cluster on Windows Server 2003, all fully service packed up which so far has been backing up just fine. I have 3 storage groups with several mailbox stores in each. I take a full backup on Friday night and Mon-Thu are incremental. Just recently, the backup jobs for the information stores is failing on one particular storage group. The backup exec 10.d error states: e000030c - Exchange failed to return any log files when backing up the database. For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-780 But the V-79....

How to change the key combination of a program
I've a program (*.exe) which gets started just after the Windows logon and which functionality I use. This program unfortunately uses the key combination 'Ctrl + F5' to display an info message box. That's very bad because I have another program where I really need the key combination 'Ctrl + F5' and unfortunately the first program "wins" so that if I use 'Ctrl + F5' the info message box appears. Because the programmer of the first program doesn't offer any possibility to change the key combination I'm trying to find a way to change it b...

backup tool problem
backup tool, it never appears on the menu of Outlook 2003 Add it manually; Tools-> Options-> tab Other-> button Advanced Options-> button COM Add-ins... and browse to; C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Offfice11\Addins\outbak.dll -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "s" <sachin.walawalkar@dttin.com> wrote in message news:efogwOBZEHA.1692@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > backup tool, it never appears on the menu of Outlook 2003 > > ...

Importing backup messages .mbx
This is to the same issue, what program uses .mbx files in Windows? I can't seem to find searchable information or support from the Microsoft Support page on this, and the files are located on a microsoft\identity folder. its gotta be some outlook version. The laptop where the files were pulled is gone, and I have no .pst files or .wab, I just have inbox,outbox,sent items.. all .mbx. How do I import these files to outlook? its over 120mb each file. Please help me.. thanks Jose Open Outlook Express, Click File, Import, Messages, OUTLOOK EXPRESS 4, next, browse to the MBX f...

Rewared Program
Is there any way to run a reward program within RMS? i.e. when a customer buys12 of an item or a specific dollar amount, over time, they get a special coupon/future discount? Thanks Bill I use Retail Realms Loyalty Program. I've used it for a couple of years now with no problems. Craig "Bill Handy" <bill@thedogdish.com> wrote in message news:44994EA5-D417-4258-9752-1EE09D19BE1F@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to run a reward program within RMS? i.e. when a customer > buys12 of an item or a specific dollar amount, over time, they get a > special coup...