16-year old completes Sail Around the World in 7 months - learn from this

Australian teen completes round-the-world sail

May 15, 5:36 AM (ET)

By KRISTEN GELINEAU

SYDNEY (AP) - A 16-year-old Australian who spent seven months at sea
in her pink yacht sailed across the finish line of her round-the-world
journey Saturday, becoming the youngest sailor to circle the globe
solo, nonstop and unassisted.

Thousands of spectators erupted into cheers as Jessica Watson sailed
into Sydney Harbour, the finale to an epic adventure in which she
battled 40-foot (12-meter) waves, homesickness and critics who said
she'd never make it home alive.

"She said she'd sail around the world, and she has," a tearful Julie
Watson said as she watched her grinning daughter cruise past the
finish line from a nearby boat. "She's home."

Watson docked at Sydney's iconic Opera House. The teenager burst into
tears and gasped in relief as she stepped off the yacht and into the
arms of her parents, whose decision to let their daughter attempt the
feat was called an act of insanity by critics.

She hung onto her father and brother as she walked slowly and
tentatively along a pink carpet rolled out in her honor - her first
steps on land in 210 days. Fans screamed and waved as she walked by,
many wearing pink clothes and holding pink flags in a nod to her 34-
foot (10-meter) yacht, Ella's Pink Lady.

"People don't think you're capable of these things - they don't
realize what young people, what 16-year-olds and girls are capable
of," Watson told the raucous crowd. "It's amazing when you take away
those expectations what you can do."

Watson, from Buderim, north of Brisbane in Queensland state, sailed
out of Sydney on Oct. 18 despite protests by critics that she was too
immature and inexperienced for the treacherous journey. Her parents
maintained that she was well-prepared and noted she has been sailing
since the age of 8.

"I don't think any of us would ever doubt Jessica Watson again," said
New South Wales state Premier Kristina Keneally, who greeted Watson at
the Opera House.

Watson's journey took her northeast through the South Pacific and
across the equator, south to Cape Horn at the tip of South America,
across the Atlantic Ocean to South Africa, through the Indian Ocean
and around southern Australia.

Australian Jesse Martin holds the current record for the youngest
person to sail around the world solo, nonstop and unassisted, after he
completed the journey in 1999 at the age of 18.

Martin boarded Watson's boat to take over during her cruise toward the
Opera House, so she could relax and wave to fans. Watson was given a
goodie bag that included a can of whipped cream, which she partially
injected into her mouth before laughing and turning away from the
cameras.

She was also joined on board by Britain's Mike Perham, who completed a
solo circumnavigation at the age of 17 in 2009, though technical
problems forced him to stop for assistance.

Watson's feat, however, will not be considered an official world
record, because the World Speed Sailing Record Council discontinued
its "youngest" category.

And though she sailed nearly 23,000 nautical miles, some sailing
enthusiasts have also argued that Watson didn't travel far enough
north of the equator for her journey to count as a true round-the-
world sail as defined by the record council's rules. Watson's managers
have dismissed those claims and argued she doesn't need to adhere to
the council's rules anyway, since they won't be recognizing her
voyage.

The route took Watson through some of the world's most treacherous
waters, and the teen battled through monstrous storms, suffering seven
knockdowns.

Watson said she had moments of doubt during those times, but generally
kept her spirits up.

"Amazingly, I just enjoyed it much, much more than I ever thought I
would and handled the challenges better than I thought," she told
journalists. "You don't actually have a choice - you're in the middle
of a storm, you're being knocked down - you can't fall apart."

But her journey was also peppered with moments of beauty. On her blog,
she described stunning sunrises over glassy seas, the excitement of
spotting a blue whale and the dazzling, eerie sight of a shooting star
racing across the night sky above her boat.

She also had fun, chatting about boys and fashion with "Silly," a
little brown seabird that landed on her yacht and hung around for
awhile.

She sang at the top of her lungs with no audience to critique her and
indulged her sweet tooth with chocolate cupcakes she baked in her tiny
kitchen. A video she shot shows her giggling while dumping a
ceremonial bucket of saltwater over her head after crossing the
equator.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd greeted Watson at the Opera House with a
grin and a hug, dubbing her "Australia's newest hero" - a description
Watson dismissed.

"I'm actually going to disagree with the Prime Minister," she said, as
the crowd laughed. "I don't consider myself a hero. I'm an ordinary
girl who believed in her dream."
0
Skank

At least she doesn't pretend to be an EE!  Just FYI.

0
Kevin

Export/import old emails
I used to work off a Compaq laptop that has no burner or floppy drive (no way to get info off computer other than email). I just got a desktop computer. Is there any way to export my archived emails and attach them in an email so that I can download them onto the desktop? I've exported them to a .pst file, but Outlook won't let me attach it to an email. Same thing with my contacts export - won't let me attach. I get the message "operation failed". I'm using Outlook Office XP; windows me on the desktop, and 98 on the laptop. Any ideas? Thanks much! Darc...

16 digit numbers
I think Excel can not handle 16 digit numbers bc it sets a limit. Besides changing the number to text, is there a way so I can still us a 16 digit number? For example: I have this number: 1111222233334444. But excel would round it to: 1111222233334440 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Excel can store only 15 digits of precision; anything beyond that is lost. You can store longer numbers as text, but then you lose the ability to do accurate math with them. To have Excel treat the number as text, format the cell as Text prior to entering the data, or prefix the data with an...

Factory Reconditioned KitchenAid RRKHM5APBU 7-Speed Artisan Hand Mixers, Cobalt Blue
List Price:$49.99 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B001MWS97G Best price found: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B001MWS97G .....if you were counting on getting the attachments think again. This mixer is a great buy but it does not come with the dough hook or blender attachments. I bought two and when I realized the attachments were missing, I contacted Amazon and they sent me a third mixer. The third mixer did not have the attachments either so I sent the third mixer back. I really wanted the mixer so I kept two and asked for a price reduction which I got. This...

I am sure this is old,
But Microsoft should Fire the People who designed this Live Mail. I will take Outlook Express any day. On the WLMail Menu Bar: Help | Send Feedback. Let them know how you feel. You are not alone. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Tim" <nospam@mail.com> wrote in message news:uDVrPXawKHA.4532@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > But Microsoft should Fire the People who designed this Live Mail. I will > take Outlook Express any day. "Bruce Hagen" <BRH@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:epICmeawK...

Compiler error in VC 7.0
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C37B88.C0192D30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi=20 I get this error while migrating an ATL 6.0 project which used to = compile okay.=20 Does anyone know how I can fix an error reported in the vector file d:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\include\vector(575): = error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'const = std::auto_ptr<_Ty>' to 'std::auto_ptr<_Ty>' The code in this file goes:=20 ...

transfer OL from old to new computer
Hello: I have just purchased 4 computers for my office. The software consists of Win XP and Works. So I need to load my current version of Outlook 2000 on to each of these computers from the four computers that are being replaced. We use net folders to network the calendar. Question is how do I move my Outlook from the current computers to the new ones. Must I do this by reinstalling from the disk? But what of post office settings, and the calendar appointments past and future (which I can't lose in the process.) Thanks for your help. Scott >Hello: I have just purchased 4 com...

Outlook 2002/2003 auto-complete function
How do i clear out the "database" of the auto-complete function in the To,cc and bcc fields. i know how to do a single name clear by clicking delete is there a way to clear all the names out? To clear the entire cache, follow the instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q287623 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Brian James" <bjames@beconet.com> wrote in message news:009101c3ad51$120b6a00$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do i clear out the "database" of the auto-complete > function in the To,cc and bcc fields. i know how...

Why the image (16*16) is ugly?
Hello, I use the API ExtractIcon to get file icon, then import the ImageList (32bit color), but the 16*16 icons are ugly shown in listview, why? thank you. ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Private Declare Function ExtractIcon Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ExtractIconA" (ByVal hInst As IntPtr, ByVal lpszExeFileName As String, ByVal nIconIndex As Integer) As IntPtr Public Function ExtractIcons(ByVal iconfile As String, ByVal iconindex As Integer) As Icon Try Dim hIcon As IntPtr ...

Migrate from Exchange 2000 old old server to Exchange 2003 on new server.
I haven't been able to find detail instructions on doing the upgrade I have to do. I have an old server with Windows 2000 AD and Exchange 2000. I want to migrate to a new server running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 and remove the old server entirely. I have already added the Windwos 2003 server to the domain and that is working fine. I need to find out how to add the Exchange 2003 to the new server as part of the Exchange 2000 site and migrate all the data and then remove the 2000 server. All I can find on Microsoft/Google is how to do this with Exchange 5.5 and upgrading Exchange 2...

Rules #16
I want to creat a rule that will move a message with the subject of Hi, but not move if hi is part of another work like BHI. Thanks Hmmm...you might try putting "Hi" in quotes. -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. Mahalo! "Doug Griesbaum" <dgriesbaum@satisfusion.com> wrote in message news:0c0c01c3b9a3$6e96cbd0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I want to creat a rule that will move a message with t...

Font color in the cells 03-16-10
Hi, How about the way to change the color within VBA? Bst Rgds, HuaMin Range("A1:A10").Font.ColorIndex = 3 -- Jacob "HuaMin" wrote: > Hi, > How about the way to change the color within VBA? > > Bst Rgds, > HuaMin Many thanks. I've tried the values 3, 4 for the index. But I don't see any difference in the cell. How do we know which index is for which color? "Jacob Skaria" wrote: > Range("A1:A10").Font.ColorIndex = 3 > > -- > Jacob > > > "HuaMin" wrote: &g...

Where is the old Retail Management System v2.0 newsgroup
Is there anyone that can pointed out how to subscribe to the RMS 2.0 Store operations newsgroup ? Thank you, Regards, Joie The news server is : news.microsoft.com The group is : microsoft.public.pos Is that what you needed or do you need instructions on setting it up in a newsreader? Marc "Joie" <joie.hadi.nata.tan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eNv%23wHKDLHA.4400@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Is there anyone that can pointed out how to subscribe to the RMS 2.0 Store > operations newsgroup ? > > Thank you, > Regards, > Joie ...

Fiscal Year in Visual Reports
I am trying to use the Visual Reports Feature to show time phased costs by Resource in the Project Plan I am working with. I have created a template that gives me the fields and time phase that I want. The issue is the fiscal year runs from Oct to Sept and I wish to total by Fiscal Year and not Calendar Year. If this was just an Excel Pivot table, I would use the Group feature in Excel to group the appropriate time frames and create my Fiscal Year Groups. When I try to create my own groups in the Excel template I get an error message saying that 'Pivot table cannot group...

publisher #16
cannot open saved files from either publisher or word. from documents file. i.e. cannot retrieve saved files note says file not available anthony wrote: > cannot open saved files from either publisher or word. > from documents file. i.e. cannot retrieve saved files > note says file not available Not enough information, but it sounds to me as though you are trying to save/open from a network location which Publisher abhors - Publisher files /must/ be saved to a local drive. If that's not the case, then please post back with more information - where are the files being s...

fiscal/financial year
How do I add a function or does anyone have the function to place the financial year in a database?I am just feeling my way through access 2007 at the moment and have some database experience.RG Essentially I require the year for example fiscal year 2008 to be from 1st July 07 to 30 jun 2008. Then as I move into next year i.e. 1 July 08 it says in my field that the financial year is 2009 etc automatically.I am not sure if your method works for itI am assuming that something like this if(current date)>=1 st July 07 and <= 30 June 08 then fy=2008 but how do I get it to automatically kick ...

Project 2007 & Windows 7 Compatibility Issues
Hello, I recently switched from Windows XP to Windows 7 and noticed I had lost data in text fields after the switch in my Project 2007 file. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Thanks. I'm running Project 2007 on XP, Vista, and Win 7 machines and have not noticed this. My hunch is that it is a coincidence and not related to the change in operating system. Specifically, what text fields have what data lost? Can you move to a previous version of your MPP from your backup store to confirm at what point data is not as you expected? --rms www.rmschneider.c...

Reports after the new year begins
This is the end of my first 10 months using RMS and I am wondering how I will run sales and other reports that I have been used to using with the 'year-to-date' history. What happens after 1/1? How can I get total sales since the beginning of the item in inventory? I really don't want to run this year AND last year separately. I see a custom format that brings up date parameters that might bethe answer. Does this custom format create a fixed-date report that can be accessed? How does that work? Thanks -- WineGuy Instead of using only the predefined dates, use the custom...

Create a new image Complete from VBA code
I have a form I'd like to simulate a very basic animation based on underlying data. (I use the term 'animation' losely). Basically, I want to be able to move an image around the form, change the width/height/coordinates depending on what the data values are underneath. I can do this if I have the initial image no problem, however I run into trouble if I want to create another image based off that original tempalte. Is there a way in VB code to completely copy an existing Image object on the form, basicaly cloning it, so I can move around both copies of the image independently? ...

how do I get outlook 2003 to work in windows 7
Outlook 2003 will not open the data file and therefore can not open. I have tried deleting the mapi .inf data and also the profile and then reentered it. I have removed all the office 2007 products , I even tried bringing the old data file from my old computer across... please help.... What happens when you try to open the data file? What steps are you using to open the data file? Outlook 2003 does work well in Windows 7. How did you bring the data file over from the other computer? Have checked to see if the PST is marked read only? If it is, remove the attribute and then t...

Sorting by month, disregarding the year
I have a list of names in one column, and their date of birth in another column. I want to sort day and month, disregarding the year, in order to see who has a birthday this month. But how ? In a helper column, add a formula of =MONTH(B2) copy down, and sort by the helper column. -- HTH Bob Phillips "Soffi" <Soffi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD1B63BC-9DE5-4C73-A694-19077D772598@microsoft.com... > I have a list of names in one column, and their date of birth in another > column. > I want to sort day and month, disregarding the year, in ord...

How can you change languages in a single document w/o old toolbar
The language button has disappeared from the "Review" menu in Word 2007. I produce many documents that are bilingual or contain quotes in one language, while being written primarily in another. I don't see how to change languages to be able to do an automatic spell check in such a document (or how to change languages from one document to another without rebooting the system every time). PS, please shoot the genius who made this change in the toolbar an automatic one done overnight. You can create character styles with different languages defined, and apply ...

Distribution Lists #16
Is it possible to send the same message to a group of people, but as seperate messages and not a distribution list. The reason being is that I have a group which has 100 members. When I send a message to the group, the message gets caught by spam filters for having too many names. That would require a mail merge to electronic mail. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "T Dyer" <T Dyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0D9B761-197F-4B34-A112-E374377ADEAC@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to send the same message to a group of people, but as seperate messages and...

forward old users accounts.
Is there a way to forward an email accout to another user and still remove that account form the active directory. Many of our sales staffs contacts do not communicate with each other for years at a time. If the customer has an email address of a sales person that no longer is at the company I want that email to forward to another sales person as well as autoreply that the sales person is no longer there. But I don't want to keep the old accounts either in AD or in the Global Address listing. In news:E11FAD84-66A3-4B3D-BAD9-1A95DCD64D75@microsoft.com, Kevin <Kevin@discussions.mic...

Date Formats #7
What Regional Setting (countries) results in date formats with dot (period) separators; e.g. 03.05.2005 ? -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email Answered for myself. I should have tried before asking. Regional setting has three setting (/), (-) and (.) -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message news:%23Wv17V8fFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > What Regional Setting (countries) results in date formats with dot > (period) separators; e.g. 0...

PCCharge Pro 5.7.0/ RMS 2.0 Compatibility
I am planning an upgrade from RMS 1.2 to ver 2.0. Will PCCharge Pro 5.7.0 Rel B work with RMS 2.0 or do I need to purchase a newer version of PCCharge as well? Our RMS VAR says to check with PCCharge (VeriFone)... VeriFone says that MS RMS tests their software with PCCharge (and others) and has a list of those compatible??? ...