WSS 3.0

Hello there,

After running Windows updates on our SBS 2008 machine we can no longer
access company web. In the Application log these messages are being
generated;

The database ShareWebDb on SERVER\Microsoft##SSEE is not accessible to
missing Windows Internal Database signatures.

We don't use company web but i would like to get it up and working just in
case we decide to use it. I have tried starting the Windows SharePoint
Administration Service but that wont start

When browsing to company web we get Error 404. All DNS entries for company
web are present and so are the sites in IIS. I tried to repair the
installation of WSS and after that it asked me to run the SharePoint
Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard. When  i did this, it failed
and asked me to review the log file. I have looked in this log and cannot
see any errors as such only that it couldn't start the SPAdmin service.

Any help would be appreciated.

David.

0
David

Have you Restarted the Service Since the update?

Russ

--
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC

"David Parkes" <wibble@wobble.com> wrote in message
> Hello there,
>
> After running Windows updates on our SBS 2008 machine we can no longer
> access company web. In the Application log these messages are being
> generated;
>
> The database ShareWebDb on SERVER\Microsoft##SSEE is not accessible to
> missing Windows Internal Database signatures.
>
> We don't use company web but i would like to get it up and working just in
> case we decide to use it. I have tried starting the Windows SharePoint
> Administration Service but that wont start
>
> When browsing to company web we get Error 404. All DNS entries for company
> web are present and so are the sites in IIS. I tried to repair the
> installation of WSS and after that it asked me to run the SharePoint
> Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard. When  i did this, it
> failed and asked me to review the log file. I have looked in this log and
> cannot see any errors as such only that it couldn't start the SPAdmin
> service.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> David.

0
Russ
6/2/2010 1:52:21 AM
Hi Russ,

Which services do you suggest i restart?

Thanks for replying.

"Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]" <russ@REMOVETHIS.sbits.biz> wrote in message
> Have you Restarted the Service Since the update?
>
> Russ
>
> --
> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
> MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
> Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
> Question or Second Opinion - www.PersonalITConsultant.com
> BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
>

> "David Parkes" <wibble@wobble.com> wrote in message
>> Hello there,
>>
>> After running Windows updates on our SBS 2008 machine we can no longer
>> access company web. In the Application log these messages are being
>> generated;
>>
>> The database ShareWebDb on SERVER\Microsoft##SSEE is not accessible to
>> missing Windows Internal Database signatures.
>>
>> We don't use company web but i would like to get it up and working just
>> in case we decide to use it. I have tried starting the Windows SharePoint
>> Administration Service but that wont start
>>
>> When browsing to company web we get Error 404. All DNS entries for
>> company web are present and so are the sites in IIS. I tried to repair
>> the installation of WSS and after that it asked me to run the SharePoint
>> Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard. When  i did this, it
>> failed and asked me to review the log file. I have looked in this log and
>> cannot see any errors as such only that it couldn't start the SPAdmin
>> service.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> David.

0
David
6/2/2010 9:06:35 AM

Hello David,

Thanks for your post and Russ' input.

This problem occurs if the SPWebService service has not been fully provisioned. Please check if KB944154 and KB944267 helps:

"You receive an HTTP 404 error message when you browse the SharePoint site collections after a hotfix package or a public update for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 is
applied"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944154/en-us

"How to troubleshoot common errors that occur when you run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard on a computer that is running Windows SharePoint
Services 3.0"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944267/en-us

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Hi Robin,

After running the commands in KB944154 the last one files with this message
I then looked at KB939308 and cleared the cache. It still doesnt work but
there are now other events being logged. Please see below

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server
Extensions\12\BIN>psco
nfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force
SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard version
12.0.6413.1000
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2005. All rights reserved.

Performing configuration task 1 of 4
Initializing SharePoint Products and Technologies upgrade...

Failed to initialize SharePoint Products and Technologies upgrade.

An exception of type
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfig
urationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information: The
initiali
ze command is invalid or a failure has been encountered.
Failed to detect if this server is joined to a server farm.  Possible
reasons fo
r this failure could be that you no longer have the appropriate permissions
to t
he server farm, the database server hosting the server farm is unresponsive,
the
 configuration database is inaccessible or this server has been removed from
the
 server farm.  To diagnose this problem further, review the extended error
infor
mation located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server
Exte
nsions\12\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_6_2_2010_13_26_40_487_1350905404.log.  If this
pro
blem persists, run this wizard again to disconnect from the server farm.
After
disconnecting, run the wizard again to create or connect to an existing
server f
arm.

Total number of configuration settings run: 1
Total number of successful configuration settings: 0
Total number of unsuccessful configuration settings: 3
Successfully stopped the configuration of SharePoint Products and
Technologies.
Configuration of SharePoint Products and Technologies failed.  Configuration
mus
t be performed before you use SharePoint Products and Technologies.  For
further
 details, see the diagnostic log located at C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Micros
oft Shared\Web Server
Extensions\12\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_6_2_2010_13_26_40_487_13
50905404.log and the application event log.

The description for Event ID 5084 from source MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE cannot
be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on
your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or
repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to
be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

SINGLE_USER
ON
SharePoint_Config_29c26fca-17b8-48c1-9704-b869932abcb6

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Unknown SQL Exception 5070 occured. Additional error information from SQL
Server is included below.

Database state cannot be changed while other users are using the database
'SharePoint_Config_29c26fca-17b8-48c1-9704-b869932abcb6'
ALTER DATABASE statement failed.
sp_dboption command failed.

Failed to initialize SharePoint Products and Technologies upgrade.
An exception of type
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException
was thrown.  Additional exception information: The initialize command is
invalid or a failure has been encountered.
Failed to detect if this server is joined to a server farm.  Possible
reasons for this failure could be that you no longer have the appropriate
permissions to the server farm, the database server hosting the server farm
is unresponsive, the configuration database is inaccessible or this server
has been removed from the server farm.  To diagnose this problem further,
review the extended error information located at C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server
Extensions\12\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_6_2_2010_13_37_14_185_1061758650.log.  If
this problem persists, run this wizard again to disconnect from the server
farm.  After disconnecting, run the wizard again to create or connect to an
existing server farm.
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException:
Exception of type
'Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException'
was thrown.
   at
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.Farm.IsJoinedToFarm(TaskBase
task, Boolean reload)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.InitializeTask.Run()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

Thanks

""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" <v-robmen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hello David,
>
> Thanks for your post and Russ' input.
>
> This problem occurs if the SPWebService service has not been fully
> provisioned. Please check if KB944154 and KB944267 helps:
>
> "You receive an HTTP 404 error message when you browse the SharePoint site
> collections after a hotfix package or a public update for Windows
> SharePoint Services 3.0 is
> applied"
>
> "How to troubleshoot common errors that occur when you run the SharePoint
> Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard on a computer that is
> running Windows SharePoint
> Services 3.0"
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> Best regards,
> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
> rights.

David
6/2/2010 12:34:11 PM
Also when trying to Start the windows share point administration services it
stops and this is logged in the application log

Service cannot be started. System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The
specified local group does not exist
   at
Microsoft.SharePoint.AdministrationOperation.Win32.SPNetApi32.NetLocalGroupGetMembers(String
groupName)
   at
Microsoft.SharePoint.AdministrationService.SPAdministrationService.RegisterSPAdministrationOperation()
   at
Microsoft.SharePoint.AdministrationService.SPAdministrationService.OnStart(String[]
args)
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object
state)

> [...]
>   at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()
>

> Thanks
>
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server
> Extensions\12\BIN>
>
> ""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" <v-robmen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Hello David,
>>
>> Thanks for your post and Russ' input.
>>
>> This problem occurs if the SPWebService service has not been fully
>> provisioned. Please check if KB944154 and KB944267 helps:
>>
>> "You receive an HTTP 404 error message when you browse the SharePoint
>> site collections after a hotfix package or a public update for Windows
>> SharePoint Services 3.0 is
>> applied"
>>
>> "How to troubleshoot common errors that occur when you run the SharePoint
>> Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard on a computer that is

0
David
6/2/2010 12:51:01 PM
Hi David,

This isnt exactly helpfull but I'm having the exact same issue with WS 3.0
on SBS 2008, after installing hotfix kb968857-fullfile-x64-glb

I cant even run the first 2 commands from the KB article mentioned in an
earlier post:

"You receive an HTTP 404 error message when you browse the SharePoint site
collections after a hotfix package or a public update for Windows SharePoint
Services 3.0 is
applied"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944154/en-us

I get an error:

Unprovision of service  failed. Additional information: Access denied..

This is obviously permission based but I cant work out why?

Heres one of the errors in the logfile:

Last message from task initialize is An exception of type
Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException
was thrown.  Additional exception information: The initialize command is
invalid or a failure has been encountered.
Failed to detect if this server is joined to a server farm.  Possible
reasons for this failure could be that you no longer have the appropriate
permissions to the server farm, the database server hosting the server farm
is unresponsive, the configuration database is inaccessible or this server
has been removed from the server farm.  To diagnose this problem further,
review the extended error information located at C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server
Extensions\12\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_6_2_2010_21_42_43_626_621650476.log.  If
this problem persists, run this wizard again to disconnect from the server
farm.  After disconnecting, run the wizard again to create or connect to an
existing server farm.

Also I cant open the SSEE DB in sql management studio (I dont know if this
was possible before as I'd not tried) - I get the folowing error:

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to SP-SERVER\MICROSOFT##SSEE.

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a
connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible.
Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to
allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 -
Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

For help, click:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=-1&LinkId=20476

------------------------------
BUTTONS:

OK
------------------------------

Ive posted about this on a few other sites and will report back if I find a
solution.

"David Parkes" wrote:

> [...]
> >   at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server
> > Extensions\12\BIN>
> >
> > ""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" <v-robmen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>

> >> Hello David,
> >>
> >> Thanks for your post and Russ' input.
> >>
> >> This problem occurs if the SPWebService service has not been fully
> >> provisioned. Please check if KB944154 and KB944267 helps:
> >>
> >> "You receive an HTTP 404 error message when you browse the SharePoint
> >> site collections after a hotfix package or a public update for Windows
> >> SharePoint Services 3.0 is
> >> applied"
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944154/en-us
> >>
> >> "How to troubleshoot common errors that occur when you run the SharePoint
> >> Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard on a computer that is

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply with more detailed information. Currently, I am still working on it with further research and will follow up with you as soon as possible.

Your time and patience are appreciated.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Hi Robbin,

Thanks for letting me know. I really appreciate the time you and others
spend on help me with this issue.

Kind Regards

David

> Hi David,
>
> Thank you for the reply with more detailed information. Currently, I am
> still working on it with further research and will follow up with you as
> soon as possible.
>
> Your time and patience are appreciated.
>

> Best regards,
> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

0
David
6/4/2010 10:52:38 AM
Hi Robbin,

Have you had any luck with this?

> Hi Robbin,
>
> Thanks for letting me know. I really appreciate the time you and others
> spend on help me with this issue.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> David
>
> ""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" <v-robmen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Thank you for the reply with more detailed information. Currently, I am
>> still working on it with further research and will follow up with you as
>> soon as possible.
>>
>> Your time and patience are appreciated.
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
>> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

0
David
6/7/2010 3:44:38 PM
Hi David,

Sorry for the late in responding you.

Based on your issue symptoms, the error message is "The database WSS_Content on ComputerName\Microsoft##SSEE is not accessible to missing Windows Internal
Database signatures". The possible cause is the SPWebService service has not been fully provisioned. This problem occurs when the initial provisioning of the Web service
instance has not completed successfully. This behavior causes the upgrade process to skip the Web service instance.

So you can see the corresponding solution as we indicated that listed in both KB 944267 and KB 944154 as below:

[Resolution:]
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1.	Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2.	Locate the "Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\BIN" folder.
3.	At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:
stsadm -o provisionservice -action stop -servicetype spwebservice -servicename ""
stsadm -o provisionservice -action start -servicetype spwebservice -servicename ""
4.	After the SPWebService service is started, type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force
Note, the last command force the Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 upgrade by using the Psconfig.exe tool at a command prompt.

Based on your last reply and new information, last Psconfig.exe tool reported error message "Failed to initialize SharePoint Products and Technologies upgrade." and "Failed
to detect if this server is joined to a server farm." during the Performing configuration tasks. To troubleshoot this error message, you may try the solutions in KB926062 and then try
again with Psconfig.exe tool command. However, if the Performing configuration tasks still fails or the issue persists, please try the below steps. Please make sure you have a
good backup of SharePoint content database before you perform further steps to create new web application and attach existing content database.

- Go to SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration > Application Management > Content Databases
- Remove the default database. Remove the content database from Manage content database page for default site.
- Then re-add the same content database from command prompt using STSADM command.
- Following is the command to add content database.
 STSADM -o addcontentdb -url <http://servername> -databasename (Provide the Content database name) -databaseserver (database server name, like servername
\microsoft##ssee)
- Once the command completed successfully try to browse the site again.

Note, the syntax for the Stsadm.exe command-line tool with the addcontentdb operation is listed as follows:

stsadm.exe -o addcontentdb -url URL -databasename DatabaseName [ -databaseserver DatabaseServerName ] [ -databaseuser UserName ] [ -databasepassword
Password ] [ -sitewarning SiteWarning ] [ -sitemax SiteMaxCount ]
Note The -url and -databasename parameters are required. The other parameters are optional.