WSS 3.0 setup in SBS 2003 domain (WSS 2.0)

I currently have SBS 2003 Premium running Exchange and the WSS 2.0 database 
on SQL 2005 Workgroup.  We are getting near the limit on users of SBS 2003 so 
have installed a new dedicated SQL 2008 server for our MS Dynamics NAV 
installation.

We need to access files on the internal network from remote locations which 
are linked by VPN so I am looking at using WSS 3.0 but rather than use the 
SQL 2005 Workgroup, I'd rather keep the SQL databases on the dedicated SQL 
2008 box.

Can I uninstall WSS 2.0 on SBS 2003 (including the SQL database) and install 
WSS 3.0 front end on SBS and the database on SQL 2008?  Or is it better to 
install WSS 3.0 on a separate box altogether?  What are the consequences of 
removing WSS 2.0 from SBS other than losing the companyweb site?
0
Utf
2/4/2010 11:19:02 AM
windows.server.sbs 1975 articles. 0 followers. Follow

3 Replies
647 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 30

Boy I'm glad you asked
Do not DO NOT PLEASE 
Do not uninstall WSS 2.0 on the SBS2003 Box

In additon DO NOT DO NOT DO NOTT!!!!!!
UPGRADE the WSS2.0 on the SBS2003 box to WSS 3.0

You need to do a Side by Side Installation!
(Again DO NOT UPGRADE THE WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0)

I know I'm yelling but I've seen so many people do this and mess things up 
it's scary

Now that been said
You can do a "Side by Side Installation" of WSS 3.0 on the SBS2003 Server
instructions HERE!

Installing Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 on a Server Running Windows Small 
Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0daafc81-efff-4f5b-a28a-8265f1e99f5b&displaylang=en

You can honestly put it on either server
Remember to Tweak SQL Memory usage just like you would for any other SQL 
Usage however :)

And on the companyweb (WSS2.0) that you are Leaveing and not touching
Just put a Big Message that says "WRONG PLACE go HERE!" and link to it.

If you want remote Access to this WSS 3.0 You will need to Add Your Cert to 
it and open up the new port you are giving to it.
(And Please I hope you don't want to remote to it with ISA because then you 
will have to allow the SSL Port (Non Standard through ISA)

There is also an Error on Searching with WSS 3.0
I think I blogged it, http://blog.sbits.biz
However if you are having search errors with WSS 3.0 after you get it up and 
running. post a new thread and I will find it.


Russ

-- 
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz


"Chris" wrote:

> I currently have SBS 2003 Premium running Exchange and the WSS 2.0 database 
> on SQL 2005 Workgroup.  We are getting near the limit on users of SBS 2003 so 
> have installed a new dedicated SQL 2008 server for our MS Dynamics NAV 
> installation.
> 
> We need to access files on the internal network from remote locations which 
> are linked by VPN so I am looking at using WSS 3.0 but rather than use the 
> SQL 2005 Workgroup, I'd rather keep the SQL databases on the dedicated SQL 
> 2008 box.
> 
> Can I uninstall WSS 2.0 on SBS 2003 (including the SQL database) and install 
> WSS 3.0 front end on SBS and the database on SQL 2008?  Or is it better to 
> install WSS 3.0 on a separate box altogether?  What are the consequences of 
> removing WSS 2.0 from SBS other than losing the companyweb site?
0
Utf
2/5/2010 2:50:01 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I have read the articles about doing the side by side installation and not 
upgrading, but I thought I'd be getting around that by removing the old WSS 
2.0 and database and starting fresh with WSS 3.0 and a new database on a 
separate SQL server, is that not the case?  If not, why not, why can't I 
remove WSS 2.0 completely?  Apart from companyweb, what else does it remove?

I'm asking because I want to know why you have to go through this side by 
side process for it to work.

I thought the search issue was due to the database upgrade and if I'm 
removing the old before installing a fresh one, again I thought this might 
get me around the problems.

Hoep you can advise,

Chris


"Russ - SBITS.Biz" wrote:

> Boy I'm glad you asked
> Do not DO NOT PLEASE 
> Do not uninstall WSS 2.0 on the SBS2003 Box
> 
> In additon DO NOT DO NOT DO NOTT!!!!!!
> UPGRADE the WSS2.0 on the SBS2003 box to WSS 3.0
> 
> You need to do a Side by Side Installation!
> (Again DO NOT UPGRADE THE WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0)
> 
> I know I'm yelling but I've seen so many people do this and mess things up 
> it's scary
> 
> Now that been said
> You can do a "Side by Side Installation" of WSS 3.0 on the SBS2003 Server
> instructions HERE!
> 
> Installing Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 on a Server Running Windows Small 
> Business Server 2003
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0daafc81-efff-4f5b-a28a-8265f1e99f5b&displaylang=en
> 
> You can honestly put it on either server
> Remember to Tweak SQL Memory usage just like you would for any other SQL 
> Usage however :)
> 
> And on the companyweb (WSS2.0) that you are Leaveing and not touching
> Just put a Big Message that says "WRONG PLACE go HERE!" and link to it.
> 
> If you want remote Access to this WSS 3.0 You will need to Add Your Cert to 
> it and open up the new port you are giving to it.
> (And Please I hope you don't want to remote to it with ISA because then you 
> will have to allow the SSL Port (Non Standard through ISA)
> 
> There is also an Error on Searching with WSS 3.0
> I think I blogged it, http://blog.sbits.biz
> However if you are having search errors with WSS 3.0 after you get it up and 
> running. post a new thread and I will find it.
> 
> 
> Russ
> 
> -- 
> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
> Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
> Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
> World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
> 
> 
> "Chris" wrote:
> 
> > I currently have SBS 2003 Premium running Exchange and the WSS 2.0 database 
> > on SQL 2005 Workgroup.  We are getting near the limit on users of SBS 2003 so 
> > have installed a new dedicated SQL 2008 server for our MS Dynamics NAV 
> > installation.
> > 
> > We need to access files on the internal network from remote locations which 
> > are linked by VPN so I am looking at using WSS 3.0 but rather than use the 
> > SQL 2005 Workgroup, I'd rather keep the SQL databases on the dedicated SQL 
> > 2008 box.
> > 
> > Can I uninstall WSS 2.0 on SBS 2003 (including the SQL database) and install 
> > WSS 3.0 front end on SBS and the database on SQL 2008?  Or is it better to 
> > install WSS 3.0 on a separate box altogether?  What are the consequences of 
> > removing WSS 2.0 from SBS other than losing the companyweb site?
0
Utf
2/9/2010 4:32:07 PM
Hi again,

Ok, now I think I have a better idea of how I can approach this.  I am keen 
to move the Sharepoint SQL DB from my SBS to the database server so I think 
my approach should be do the side-by-side upgrade of WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0 and 
then move the database from SBS to the DB server.  In the process of moving 
the databases from SBS to DB server, they'll be going from SQL 2005 Workgroup 
to SQL 2008 Standard, but that should be ok, right?

What do you think?


"Russ - SBITS.Biz" wrote:

> Boy I'm glad you asked
> Do not DO NOT PLEASE 
> Do not uninstall WSS 2.0 on the SBS2003 Box
> 
> In additon DO NOT DO NOT DO NOTT!!!!!!
> UPGRADE the WSS2.0 on the SBS2003 box to WSS 3.0
> 
> You need to do a Side by Side Installation!
> (Again DO NOT UPGRADE THE WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0)
> 
> I know I'm yelling but I've seen so many people do this and mess things up 
> it's scary
> 
> Now that been said
> You can do a "Side by Side Installation" of WSS 3.0 on the SBS2003 Server
> instructions HERE!
> 
> Installing Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 on a Server Running Windows Small 
> Business Server 2003
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0daafc81-efff-4f5b-a28a-8265f1e99f5b&displaylang=en
> 
> You can honestly put it on either server
> Remember to Tweak SQL Memory usage just like you would for any other SQL 
> Usage however :)
> 
> And on the companyweb (WSS2.0) that you are Leaveing and not touching
> Just put a Big Message that says "WRONG PLACE go HERE!" and link to it.
> 
> If you want remote Access to this WSS 3.0 You will need to Add Your Cert to 
> it and open up the new port you are giving to it.
> (And Please I hope you don't want to remote to it with ISA because then you 
> will have to allow the SSL Port (Non Standard through ISA)
> 
> There is also an Error on Searching with WSS 3.0
> I think I blogged it, http://blog.sbits.biz
> However if you are having search errors with WSS 3.0 after you get it up and 
> running. post a new thread and I will find it.
> 
> 
> Russ
> 
> -- 
> Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz
> Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
> Microsoft Certified Small Business Specialist
> World Wide 24hr SBS Remote Support - http://www.SBITS.Biz
> 
> 
> "Chris" wrote:
> 
> > I currently have SBS 2003 Premium running Exchange and the WSS 2.0 database 
> > on SQL 2005 Workgroup.  We are getting near the limit on users of SBS 2003 so 
> > have installed a new dedicated SQL 2008 server for our MS Dynamics NAV 
> > installation.
> > 
> > We need to access files on the internal network from remote locations which 
> > are linked by VPN so I am looking at using WSS 3.0 but rather than use the 
> > SQL 2005 Workgroup, I'd rather keep the SQL databases on the dedicated SQL 
> > 2008 box.
> > 
> > Can I uninstall WSS 2.0 on SBS 2003 (including the SQL database) and install 
> > WSS 3.0 front end on SBS and the database on SQL 2008?  Or is it better to 
> > install WSS 3.0 on a separate box altogether?  What are the consequences of 
> > removing WSS 2.0 from SBS other than losing the companyweb site?
0
Utf
2/9/2010 5:56:16 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

forward #2
Hello Group, I am using office xp outlook, can I protect my messages for forwarding like lotus notes. -- Sam No. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Sam asked: | Hello Group, |=20 |=20 | I am using office xp outlook, | can I protect my messages for forwarding like lotus notes. You need third party software for this, and in testing we've never found one that was consistant and reliable, honestly. C...

MFC Dlls #2
Hi I was written an MFC EX. DLL and use in MFC App - it's working OK, But when I want to use it in C# ( C Style export ) it crash. Why? Thanks Koby Because it is an MFC Extension DLL. This makes a lot of assumptions about the environment in which it is running, which would not be true in a C# environment. Converting it to a conventional (non-extension) DLL should solve the problem. joe On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:54:55 -0800, "Koby" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi >I was written an MFC EX. DLL and use in MFC App - it's >working OK, >...

Create XY (Scatter) Chart, with 3 column (X, Y, Series)
Hi, I need create a XY Chart with information in 3 colum, example SERIE X Y A 1.25 2.35 B 4 3 C 5 1 D 2.35 5.25 E 1 2 F 3.33 4 G 4.21 3 H 6.25 1 I 1.5 4 J 2.5 3.33 K 3.5 1.25 This is possible? Help me please. Thanks, Ilka Make an XY chart with the X and Y columns, then use one of these utilities to apply the labels to the data points: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ &...

APNSoft DataGrid 3.2 Released!
APNSoft is pleased to announce the release of APNSoft DataGrid 3.2! APNSoft DataGrid is an ASP.NET server control with AJAX support to display data in a tabular format with options of choice, sorting and editing entries. DataGrid component has been designed in a way to reduce development time at the utmost and require no specific knowledge from developers. --------------------------------------------- New features: --------------------------------------------- 1. Compatibility with Google Chrome. APNSoft DataGrid now supports all popular browsers including Google Chrome. ...

Outlook 2000 SP-3 Timeout
I am running Outlook 2000 SP-3 and have change my Account Properties->Advanced->Server Timeouts to 5 minutes. But even with that large emails with dialup accounts cannot get downloaded. Is there a registry value that I can change to up to value. I know this is the value I I just did an test with it set to 5 minutes and 2 minutes before I received the timeout message. Thanks You're better off figuring out why it's timing out and fixing it from that end... do you connect using dialup or broadband? if broadband, do you use a router? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author,...

How do I restore a WSS 3.0 site on SBS 2008
I'm preparing to migrate our old SBS 2003 domain to 2008 and because someone back in NT days named our internal domain without a .local extension an automated migration is not supported. This is probably just as well as our AD could use a lot of cleaning up. In order to make sure things go smoothly I'm testing various aspects of the process on a test server. What I would like to do is to restore a backup of our sharepoint website onto the SBS 2008 website. Right now the website is running on sharepoint services 2.0 on second server and for various reasons I'd lik...

default file location #3
I have a user with Excel 2000. She changes her default file location using Tools, Options, etc. to her L drive by typing L:\. That works fine for awhile. Eventually though it will revert back to her C drive. When she looks in the Tools, Options dialog box, it actually says C:\. She is a laptop user and is wondering if this may be happening when she is using her laptop at home without access to the L drive. However, the other Office applications are able to keep the L drive as the network drive permanantly. Anyone have any insight on this? -- maryj Maybe she's opening excel when sh...

MDI menu and dialogs fail #2
I have this MDI app. Every child window draws some data (looks like a windows task manager). Everything seems to work just fine but if I let this app running from one day to another, main menu doesn't work as well as context menues, and every dialog I try to invoke (using DoModal) seems to fail too. Processor is not busy and when I push a tool bar button seems to attend right away (The break point shows that any dialog fails as well as LoadMenu calls). GUI is responding well and redrawing correctly. Another important issue : I get and invalid hWnd (0xfefefe..) after a call to Create over ...

Duplicate Entries #3
My mailing list program accepts Excel 2000 files as input. The spreadsheet has one email address per row. Is there a way to delete duplicates, other than sorting and visually scanning? You can make use of Data | Filter | Advanced Filter. In the pop-up you can specify the range to be filtered, then select Unique Records Only, and then decide to Filter in place or specify another range where you want the filtered records to be placed. Hope this helps. Pete On Mar 22, 11:57 pm, mcp6453 <mcp6...@earthlink.net> wrote: > My mailing list program accepts Excel 2000 files as input. The &...

How can I merge 2 documents and KEEP differences?
Question: When I use "Tools/Compare and merge documents" Word merges the documents and shows what has been deleted. How can I KEEP all of the information in one document? Explanation: For several years I have been keeping individual Word files for passwords and miscellanea, one for work and one for home (I'm aware of the advice not to write passwords down). Each .doc file is about 20 pages long since it also contains comments and explanations, and each is hyperlinked to bookmarks within the document. The content in each document is about 80% identical. Now,...

Outlook 2003 error #9
Greetings, First let me get the platform layout out of the way. Client: Windows 2000 laptop running Office 2003. Outlook 2003 w/o BCM installed. Running in Exchange Cached Mode. Remote laptop connecting via VPN from NC (PPTP). Runs Zone Alarm firewall software on laptop. Server: Windows 2000/Exchange 2000 with latest SP and April 04 security rollup patch. Located in TX. Firewall :Watchguard Firebox 1000. Acts as VPN server. Client connects to firewall via PPTP VPN connection. Access provided to internal network. Ok so now th...

video e-mail #2
Get a "Failed to convert file to WMV format" error message every time I try to use the new video e-mail feature in Outlook 2003. ...

Nothing makes sense? #2
My life is just a succession of meaningless events. ...

Email Address #3
I set up my email address and added a logo up the top. When I start a new message my email address is shaded (blocked in a grey background) and any new text I type has a grey shading as well. I am stumped, have tried to have the logo (as picture) before text, behind text. Nothing changes? Any ideas welcome..... ...

how to get the end of month date and time in Visual C++ 6.0
I am using visual c++ 6.0 and MFC. How can I convert the end of month date and time (New York time) to local time? For example, if a user run my application in Japan on Feb. 3th, 2008, I need to convert New York time 23:59:59 Feb. 29th, 2008 to Japan time. The result may be 13:59:59 March 1st, 2008 Japan time. Code snippet will be appreciated. Thanks Ningjun On 1 Feb 2007 08:08:06 -0800, ningjun.wang@lexisnexis.com wrote: >I am using visual c++ 6.0 and MFC. How can I convert the end of month >date and time (New York time) to local time? > >For example, if a user run my appl...

Uninstall CRM 3.0
I need to do a clean uninstall of my Outlook CRM client but am unable to do so. Any advice on doing it manually? I too would like to know how to manually uninstall CRM 3.0 - the uninstall wizard does not appear to remove all prior install settins. Is there a cheat sheet on the Folders, Files and Registry settings that need to be removed? I'm having an Outlook Sync issues that I beleive would be resolved by a new, clean install. Please advise, dph "Jeff Gibson" wrote: > I need to do a clean uninstall of my Outlook CRM client but am unable to do > so. Any advice o...

exchange 2003 log files in MDBDATA
Hi All! I am using SBS 2003 premium edition, the size of MDBDATA folder is more then 15 GB and there is lot of log files which are quit old and the size of priv.edb and is around 5 GB Can we configure Exchange 2003 to delete old files to stop growing the size of MDBDATA in this fashion or can I manually delete the files from the MDBDATA folder. please advice how to solve this problem Exchange will purge old log files upon a successful online backup. Perform a backup and you'll get rid of most of the logs. You can simply use NTBackup. Make sure that when you make the selections,...

Inventory transfer #3
Hello We are using GP 10 SP1 , we entered inventroy transfer it updated the from site but not the TO site , can any one help Regards -- aboody The inventory transfer transaction removes items from the From site and moves them to the InTransit site. A PO Receiving transaction against the transfer document will complete the transaction moving the items from the InTransit site to the TO site. The assumption is that items are removed from one site, placed on a truck and driven across country for several days or so and then received at the destination. During transit, they are not at e...

WSS 3.0
Hello there, After running Windows updates on our SBS 2008 machine we can no longer access company web. In the Application log these messages are being generated; The database ShareWebDb on SERVER\Microsoft##SSEE is not accessible to missing Windows Internal Database signatures. We don't use company web but i would like to get it up and working just in case we decide to use it. I have tried starting the Windows SharePoint Administration Service but that wont start When browsing to company web we get Error 404. All DNS entries for company web are present and so are t...

Client for 6.0 and 8.0
Newbie question: I have a client running GP8.0 and they still have GP6.0 running just until they are satisfied with the migration. Is there a way to run both clients in tandem on the same system? Thanks in advance. Hi You can only run one version if Great Plains to a SQL instance. Best way to run two at the same time to to create separate SQL instance for each Great Plains version (bear in mind both versions will not communicate to one another) Regards James "kewltech" <kewltech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2755FAF-9BE4-4081-AFB6-6C0FEEF5B6CD...

*.pst files #2
I have two files, the archive and the outlook files. Both of them were popping up at the same time. I then deleted one from my view. To be able to access the files, I know that I must define the properties. I have done that. I then try to bring up the file and I get a message that I need to use the index repair tool to correct the file. What can I do? I am frantic. I have tons of irreplacable data on these files. Thanks for your help. ...

Form protect on 2 of 3 pages only
I have a 3+ page form. Page 1 and 2 are form protected with a password. The 3rd or more pages is to insert pictures documenting the information in pages 1 & 2. How can I form protect pages 1 and 2 only allowing pictures to be inserted on page 3+? Thanks Place a section break (next page) between pages 2 and 3. If there's a manual page break already in that location, delete it. Then, when you start enforcing protection on the form, you should have an option to select the sections that will be protected. Just click the applicable sections and you should be fine. I...

WSS resources...
Is there a way to 'sync' up WSS resource lists with project server? I recently refreshed the test Projectserver database with the current DB from our production server, but do not want to change/re-install Sharepoint Services...looks like WSS still is listing resources from the 'OLD' Database. Anyway to correct/update WSS so it sees the "refreshed" resource pool? (I know someone out there will know this) Thanks.... -- Mark Byington, PMP Sorry...meant to post this to MS Project Server...please ignore it. -- Mark Byington, PMP "Mark Byington" wrote...

Sorting whole Protected 2003 REDUX
We are working in Excel OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional System Manufacturer Dell Inc. System Model Precision WorkStation T5400 Microsoft Excel version 11.8320.8221 (Excel 2003 of Office Professional Edition 2003) We are trying to sort and filter protected cells. In the Protect dialog, we have currently highlighted Select locked cells, Select unlocked cells, Sort, and Use AutoFilter before protecting the sheet. Of course, we have tried many things to make it work. The problem is, AutoFilter works with the sheet protected, but Sorting does not. We have t...

Exchange support for multiple domains
We have just started another small spin off company. We would like to have our current exchange servers configured to accept and deliver email for these users. Right now we have a single domain and a single exch org. Are there any docs out there that can show me how to do this?? Thanks Sure: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268838 "jwilmer" <jwilmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0D90B48-29FB-4432-B655-03971327F6EE@microsoft.com... > We have just started another small spin off company. > We would like to have our current exchange servers confi...