Will SBS 2008 work with HP Proliant DL380 G4 server

We are currently running sbs 2003 on an HP Proliant DL380 g4 we want install
a fresh copy of SBS 2008 onto the DL380 G4, but HP does not list the DL380 G4
as a server platform that supports sbs 2008. (This is the PDF
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01479108/c01479108.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
) It only lists the DL380 G5.  According to Microsoft, it appears the DL380
G4 meets all the recommended requirements.

We do not have a budget that will allow the purchase of a newer server.
Will we be ok with the DL380 G4 or are we going to be missing some
functionality or fail all together?

Thank You

If HP doesn't list it as supported on the DL380 G4, that isn't a good sign.
BUT, that being said, if the DL380 G4 is fully x64 compatible, then I don't
see any reason why it shouldn't work. The only real requirement is that the
server support Windows Server 2008 x64, so if you can run 64-bit Windows on
it, you should be OK. What are the CPU and RAM on the server?

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Steve_Phoenix" <Steve_Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are currently running sbs 2003 on an HP Proliant DL380 g4 we want
> install
> a fresh copy of SBS 2008 onto the DL380 G4, but HP does not list the DL380
> G4
> as a server platform that supports sbs 2008. (This is the PDF
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01479108/c01479108.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
> ) It only lists the DL380 G5.  According to Microsoft, it appears the
> DL380
> G4 meets all the recommended requirements.
>
> We do not have a budget that will allow the purchase of a newer server.
> Will we be ok with the DL380 G4 or are we going to be missing some
> functionality or fail all together?
>

> Thank You

0
Charlie
12/29/2009 11:37:44 PM
It has 2 GB ram which we will upgrade to 4 or or possibly 8 depending on
cost.  it has (2) 3.2 dual core xeon processors

HP specs say all DL380 G4 servers have:

64-bit Intel® Xeon™ processors up to 3.6 GHz

800MHz Front Side Bus

Thanks

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> If HP doesn't list it as supported on the DL380 G4, that isn't a good sign.
> BUT, that being said, if the DL380 G4 is fully x64 compatible, then I don't
> see any reason why it shouldn't work. The only real requirement is that the
> server support Windows Server 2008 x64, so if you can run 64-bit Windows on
> it, you should be OK. What are the CPU and RAM on the server?
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>

> "Steve_Phoenix" <Steve_Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are currently running sbs 2003 on an HP Proliant DL380 g4 we want
> > install
> > a fresh copy of SBS 2008 onto the DL380 G4, but HP does not list the DL380
> > G4
> > as a server platform that supports sbs 2008. (This is the PDF
> > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01479108/c01479108.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
> > ) It only lists the DL380 G5.  According to Microsoft, it appears the
> > DL380
> > G4 meets all the recommended requirements.
> >
> > We do not have a budget that will allow the purchase of a newer server.
> > Will we be ok with the DL380 G4 or are we going to be missing some
> > functionality or fail all together?
> >

> > Thank You
>
> .

It has been my personal experience that, if HP has not listed a server as
supported, that it usually means it has a piece of hardware that they no
longer use and/or have chosen not to make a 64-bit driver for.  So even if
the processor is 64-bit, you may have problems with the server because of
other restrictions (RAID/NIC/etc).

-Cliff

"Steve_Phoenix" <Steve_Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are currently running sbs 2003 on an HP Proliant DL380 g4 we want
> install
> a fresh copy of SBS 2008 onto the DL380 G4, but HP does not list the DL380
> G4
> as a server platform that supports sbs 2008. (This is the PDF
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01479108/c01479108.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
> ) It only lists the DL380 G5.  According to Microsoft, it appears the
> DL380
> G4 meets all the recommended requirements.
>
> We do not have a budget that will allow the purchase of a newer server.
> Will we be ok with the DL380 G4 or are we going to be missing some
> functionality or fail all together?
>

> Thank You

0
Cliff
12/30/2009 1:09:24 AM
Cliff Galiher wrote:
> It has been my personal experience that, if HP has not listed a
> server as supported, that it usually means it has a piece of hardware
> that they no longer use and/or have chosen not to make a 64-bit
> driver for.  So even if the processor is 64-bit, you may have
> problems with the server because of other restrictions (RAID/NIC/etc).
>
> -Cliff

Yep, HP like others frequently leave off official support for many reasons.
But;
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634

lists all sorts of drivers and documents for 2008 including SBS 2008. So,
I'd not be too concerned.

--
/kj

0
kj
12/30/2009 1:22:54 AM
And the OP in the following post says he's running SBS 2008 on a DL380 G4:

Windows 2008 SBS - bare metal restore/disaster recovery
http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1193571.htm

--
Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
============================

"kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Cliff Galiher wrote:
>> It has been my personal experience that, if HP has not listed a
>> server as supported, that it usually means it has a piece of hardware
>> that they no longer use and/or have chosen not to make a 64-bit
>> driver for.  So even if the processor is 64-bit, you may have
>> problems with the server because of other restrictions (RAID/NIC/etc).
>>
>> -Cliff
>
> Yep, HP like others frequently leave off official support for many
> reasons. But;
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634
>
> lists all sorts of drivers and documents for 2008 including SBS 2008. So,
> I'd not be too concerned.
>

>> "Steve_Phoenix" <Steve_Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:C60BDE28-CE92-4229-8325-563D6A7E64CC@microsoft.com...
>>> We are currently running sbs 2003 on an HP Proliant DL380 g4 we want
>>> install
>>> a fresh copy of SBS 2008 onto the DL380 G4, but HP does not list the
>>> DL380 G4
>>> as a server platform that supports sbs 2008. (This is the PDF
>>> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01479108/c01479108.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
>>> ) It only lists the DL380 G5.  According to Microsoft, it appears the
>>> DL380
>>> G4 meets all the recommended requirements.
>>>
>>> We do not have a budget that will allow the purchase of a newer
>>> server. Will we be ok with the DL380 G4 or are we going to be
>>> missing some functionality or fail all together?
>>>

>>> Thank You
>
> --
> /kj

0
Merv
12/30/2009 3:08:49 AM
The Xeons should do it. I knew the 380 had Xeons, but the EMT64 extensions
were added at some point and I wasn't sure where in the spectrum the G4's
were. Thanks for that confirmation.

RAM - there's no chance with even 4GB. It's officially possible, but
experience has shown it's unacceptable performance. 6GB is the realistic
minimum, 8 GB is obviously better. But don't try it with 4GB.

--

> It has 2 GB ram which we will upgrade to 4 or or possibly 8 depending on
> cost.  it has (2) 3.2 dual core xeon processors
>
> HP specs say all DL380 G4 servers have:
>
> 64-bit Intel® Xeon™ processors up to 3.6 GHz
>
> 800MHz Front Side Bus
>
> Thanks
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> If HP doesn't list it as supported on the DL380 G4, that isn't a good
>> sign.
>> BUT, that being said, if the DL380 G4 is fully x64 compatible, then I
>> don't
>> see any reason why it shouldn't work. The only real requirement is that
>> the
>> server support Windows Server 2008 x64, so if you can run 64-bit Windows
>> on
>> it, you should be OK. What are the CPU and RAM on the server?
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>

>> "Steve_Phoenix" <Steve_Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > We are currently running sbs 2003 on an HP Proliant DL380 g4 we want
>> > install
>> > a fresh copy of SBS 2008 onto the DL380 G4, but HP does not list the
>> > DL380
>> > G4
>> > as a server platform that supports sbs 2008. (This is the PDF
>> > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01479108/c01479108.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
>> > ) It only lists the DL380 G5.  According to Microsoft, it appears the
>> > DL380
>> > G4 meets all the recommended requirements.
>> >
>> > We do not have a budget that will allow the purchase of a newer server.
>> > Will we be ok with the DL380 G4 or are we going to be missing some
>> > functionality or fail all together?
>> >

>> > Thank You
>>
>> .

0
Charlie
12/30/2009 4:34:51 AM
Thank You all for your advise, We will move forward with the install on the
DL380 G4.  I will post our results in the next few weeks.

"Merv Porter" wrote:

> And the OP in the following post says he's running SBS 2008 on a DL380 G4:
>
> Windows 2008 SBS - bare metal restore/disaster recovery
> http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1193571.htm
>
> --
> Merv  Porter   [SBS-MVP]
> ============================
>
> "kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Cliff Galiher wrote:
> >> It has been my personal experience that, if HP has not listed a
> >> server as supported, that it usually means it has a piece of hardware
> >> that they no longer use and/or have chosen not to make a 64-bit
> >> driver for.  So even if the processor is 64-bit, you may have
> >> problems with the server because of other restrictions (RAID/NIC/etc).
> >>
> >> -Cliff
> >
> > Yep, HP like others frequently leave off official support for many
> > reasons. But;
> > http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634
> >
> > lists all sorts of drivers and documents for 2008 including SBS 2008. So,
> > I'd not be too concerned.
> >

> >> "Steve_Phoenix" <Steve_Phoenix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:C60BDE28-CE92-4229-8325-563D6A7E64CC@microsoft.com...

> > --
> > /kj
> >
> .

SQL 2008 Loop through objects and set permissions
Hi I am developing a new SQL 2008 db for a client and they will be using it for basic functions while I continue to develop it. I am using names for the objects that tell me which users / roles are allowed to execute, select, read etc but it can take a lot of time to set the permissions - and it is easy to forget to do it. I would like to create a stored proc which would loop through each set of objects (ie the tables, views and SPs) and set their permissions according to my naming rules (eg SPs with names beginning AP - - grant execute to role1, read to role2). Can anyone get me star...

mail will not open
when trying to open some...not all...emails I get the message "there was an error opening this message.....an error has occurred". This doesn't happen to all messages nor does it happen to all messages from the same sender. "velona" <velona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CFA4037-506D-4362-B110-13A9915D825A@microsoft.com... > when trying to open some...not all...emails I get the message "there was > an > error opening this message.....an error has occurred". > This doesn't happen to all messages nor doe...

work offline annoyance
Hi all I've just changed isp's from tiscali to talktalk and I've just set up wireless networking to another pc (pc2). When I open oe6 (pc2) a message box comes up saying a connection couldn't be made to the internet with the option "work offline" or "retry" and retry gets me to work online. I do notice though that on the bottom right of oe6 page it states "working online" even before the retry button is pressed! and now to make matters worse it's doing the same on my hardwired (pc1.) Any solutions? WinXP SP3 talktalk's ...

Excel 2007 will not refresh cells
I am currently using Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet that I want to use to do some analysis of various situations. So here is my problem. I have several columns that have totals at the bottom. I have no problem getting the columns to total initially. However, if I plug in another number in the column, the total stays the same and won't refresh or re-total the column. I don't recall that this was a problem when I worked with Excel 2003. Can someone please tell me how to get the totals to update when I enter some new numbers in the column? Thanks in advance for the...

Unable to connect to online quote server
I'm not getting quotes this morning, is anyone else seeing this problem? Same here. Probably too much traffic. <g.m.cox.mail@gmail.com> wrote in message news:2fb8ba8a-9eab-4c3d-91a7-c63317d1e034@e38g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... > I'm not getting quotes this morning, is anyone else seeing this > problem? Having the same problem here. The message I get when checking msn network status is: HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found Also it refers to IIs services problem and that the site does not exist. I can post the whole page is anyone is interested. JC <g.m.cox.mail@gmail....

SBS 2008 Alerting and Reporting
Hi all, In SBS 2003, I easily setup various log files to include with the daily Monitoring Reports I get emailed to me. In SBS 2008, I have not figured out how to do this. I figured out how to add additional event data/alerts from the event log (via the custom XML files) and I know I can pick/choose different 'sections' of the log to include/ not include (via 'Properties' of the reports). Does anyone know how I can attach log files to the Monitoring Reports? Thanks. Hilde I don't know that answer, but there are some resources here: http://www.code...

Query works but report fails
I have a report based off a query that has started to fail. I have a copy of my database from 4-27 where it works and another copy from 4-28 where I've added a lot of functionality for something else completely unrelated to the report that fails. In the newer copy it works a few times but after a while it begins to fail. The query the report is based off of always works and generally takes 5-10 seconds to run. When I run the report, it doesn't pop up (even after many minutes) and when you look at the task manager it is using all of the computer's resources. I'...

subform will not refresh
I have a subform for jobs to be at list - when I am int the actual form it requeries and shows only the ones checked off - when I go to the mainform with the jobs to be at list as a subform - it does not refresh or requery unless I close and open back up again. I had added a refresh command button with the following code: DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRefresh when i press the refresh button it refreshes the job list to be at I add this code to the Onload of the Main form - don't want user to have to press refresh button but it doesn't refresh jobs to be at list unless press ...

messages will not display on Outlook Express
I cannot get my messages to display the text of the message. I can send and receive, but when I actually try to open a message the message will pop up, but without text. The hourglass icon is displaying, seeming like it's trying to pull the message up but it never comes. Does anyone know what I should do? anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I cannot get my messages to display the text of the > message. I can send and receive, but when I actually try > to open a message the message will pop up, but without > text. ...

Shortcut key for copy not working
I am using Excel 2000, but can't get the CTRL+C to work to copy cells - the CTRL+V works to paste and CTRL+X for cutting, just the CTRL+C is not working. As far as I know, I haven't changed any settings in it, but any ideas on what I need to check? Thanks in advance! Nevermind, I looked and apparently a macro WAS created for CTRL+C - I changed the keyboard shortcut for it and that fixed it. Sorry! ...

Big bug with CSocket. MSDN samples do not work (CHATTER and CHATSRVR) with VC7.
To make a short story, could you compile and run CHATTER and CHATSRVR with VC7 After that, click on File\Auto Chat -> after a couple of seconds (it’s random), you’ll see that you’ll not receive any message. With VC6, everything was okay In the game that I’m developing (Net Blitz), I’m using my NDK (Network Development Kit) that many peoples use it. You can find my article on http://www.codeproject.com/internet/ndk.asp. Theses classes encapsulate CSocket with CNDKClient, CNDKServer and CNDKMessage. Many programmers face this problem and someone suggested putting the following call betwee...

Can CRM be installed on a Windows 2003 Server running Sharepoint Services and Sharepoint Protal Server V2.0?
Will the standard install for CRM work on a Windows 2003 Server? Would there be any conflicts if the Windows 2003 server is already running Microsoft Project Server? Would there be any conflicts with Sharepoint Services V 2.0 or Sharepoint Portal Server V2.0? Bill Walter I attempted to run the CRM on 2003 Server, but quickly ran into issues accessing the workspace once installed. CRM 1.0 is not yet compatible with the .Net Framework 1.1 that's on 2003 Server "Bill Walter" <wqwalter@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Os304M1RDHA.3144@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... &g...

You will pass all the exams at 1st attempt No more headaches and worry about spending the time and money to attempt another exam again. You will pass all of your exams, every time www.FreeExamKing.com
You will pass all the exams at 1st attempt No more headaches and worry about spending the time and money to attempt another exam again. You will pass all of your exams, every time www.FreeExamKing.com ...

URL/Hyperlink not working for recipients
I am using Outlook 2003 running on Windows XP in a Windows 2003 Server environment. I administer an application that requires the user to install the program from a .bat file. I send our users an e-mail with a URL to the bat file (e.g. \\server123 \Application\install.bat). The URL cannot launch the bat file and search Locate Link Browser dialog opens instead. The work around is to cut and paste the URL into the Start\Run dialog where it works fine. (I think this implies that the UNC is defined properly.) Also, the hand icon displays properly when the user rolls the mouse over t...

Duplicate Personal Folder removal instructions not working
I recently imported an Outlook 2003 .pst file from another machine. In the process I was left with two duplicate Personal Folders separate from the imported one I renamed to My Folders. In following the KB article titled "Remove a duplicate Personal Folders file" I attempted to close the Personal Folders only to find that the contents of these is the same as the contents of the one called My Folders. When I view the properties of the two duplicate Personal Folders it says the name is My Folders, despite the fact that the folder list displays them as "Personal Folders&qu...

BIOS / CMOS not working properly
I have a Gigabyte S-Series GA-G31M-ES2L Motherboard. When I go into CMOS settings <DEL> the <Load Fail-Safe Defaults>, <Load Optimized Defaults> and <Set Supervisor/User Password> are greyed. I'm not aware of anything I have done to change this. Can anyone help please? Thanks. Bill R You would need to consult your mobo manual. Are you experiencing any other issues, that caused you to access the bios? "Bill R" <bill@compsols.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:%235hdaM%23sKHA.1560@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I have a Giga...

with Publisher or Office.Will I be able to access old files docume
I am frustrated with my Open Office org. program for many reasons. I would like to use Publisher or Office or? Will I be able to access, email, documents etc files previously made on another program if I download Publisher or Office or ? Erica wrote: > I am frustrated with my Open Office org. program for many reasons. > I would like to use Publisher or Office or? > Will I be able to access, email, documents etc files previously made on > another program if I download Publisher or Office or ? Office applications cannot open OpenDocument files. You will have to convert them to O...

My Money Side will not stop
I read the FAQ for Money 2002 and it stated A) Click Help in MoneySide, then Settings. Under "Open MoneySide" select "Never" and then "Done." I select "Never" but there is no "Done" I can find and My Money leaves for this time only to return again. Is there any way to kill money from running in the background. It is not running in MSCONFIG on my XP sp2 system that I can find. Thanks Don I wish I had a way to test this here to tell you how to do it and validate the FAQ. Hopefully somebody who can still test on M02 will join the thread....

This one worked.
Or, choose Edit>Go To, click Special Select Objects, click OK Press the Delete key, to delete any objects that were selected. It was a "word art" object that was somehow stuck and squished in the spreadsheet. How it gets into my old excel files - I do not know. I never even had a text box like this in this spreadsheet. Once the object is light up (thanks to the above procedure) I can stretch it out and delete it. How does this get imbedded like this? Thanks, webermis Since it was squished, maybe it was accidentally copied from another file, and you didn't notice it ...

Think I will be staying with Money2004 for good...
Just to throw my two cents in on all this money2007 stuff. It looks like MS doesn't care about users of older versions of money. With all the changes, I think they just hope to pick up new customers who don't know any better. Based on what I have read...I won't even bother trying a trial of 2007. Granted the other software out there in the personal finance space isn't that great, at least I have a decent version of money with 2004. C Money 2004 was the last best version of Money to be sure. When Money 2005 dropped I tried it for about a week and then moved to Quick...

Backup Exchange Server 2003 with Backup Exec 10.0
We have two DCs in our network and one of them has Exchange Server 2003 installed on it, but we are having problems backing up the Exchange with our backup exec 10.0. I have been looking for everywhere on the web for the instructions on how to do it with no success. Anyone out there who can direct me to a website that explains how to use the Backup Exec 10.0 to back up Exchange or tell me how to do it? This may help. http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275180.htm "Rekaman" <gilbert_habarurema@cox.net> wrote in message news:FZSag.12975$8q.5398@dukeread08... > We have ...

Player will analyze and prepare music to burn but will not burn.
I recently updated to Version 11 and now my WM Player will Analyze and Prepare each song that is in the burn cue but as it initiates the transfer of the music to the disc, it generates a problem. As it starts the first song, it shows the message "finalizing disc" next to the first song. Then the burn ceases and the message " Windows Media Player can not burn files to the CD. Verify that the disc is clean and not damaged. If necessary, select a slower recording speed or try a different brand of blank discs." I tried two brands and tried several new clean d...

Resources, tasks, dates, remaining work view
I am using Microsoft Project 2007 to schedule multiple projects for a group of 20 people - sharing resources. We are looking at the workload projections for both the groups and individuals, and need to see scheduling conflicts. I would like to be able to view a report of each resource with a list including: resource name, project name, task name, starting date, finish date, and remaining work. I haven't been able to find a way to do this. If you know how, please reply... thanks for your help! -- schedulerkh ------------------------------------------------------------...

Form/Subform Will Not Open
Access 2003 desktop application ....... When I try to open a form/subform I get the message: "Could not use <name of backend file>; file already in use." What could be causing this message to appear? If I click OK, the form opens with just a blank space for the subform. If I remove the control source from the subform control, the main form opens correctly. I can open the subform by itself with no problem. I have rebuilt the form/subform and get the same message. Thanks for any ideas! Steve "Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> wrote in me...

Viewing works for sin 95 files
How can I view files I created in Works for Windows 95 in Excel 2003? I remember that I found an add on for Excel XP but don't remember where I found it. <g> Thanks in advance. BoB. Hi if you still have MS Works available try saving the file within MS Works as Excel file. Excel does not have an import filter for this -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "BoB Brazie" <?bbrazie@knowledge1.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:u4Rf#2KHEHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > How can I view files I created in Works for Windows 95 in Excel 2003? > > I remember th...