Upgrade from SBS 2003 to Standard 2003

Hi

Can anyone help me please?

I have an sbs 2003 server and we want to change everything to the new
sever we bought which is running standard 2003 r2.

We only use our server as a file and print. So all we need to to be
bale to transfer the users etc and have them logon with no issues ie
changing profiles etc.

Can this be done?

Thanx

PS, really dont want to get involved with transition packs etc.

--
jonoharper
jonoharper's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/171848.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
jonoharper

Join the new server to the domain, promote to DC, transfer the FSMO roles,
make it a GC, demote the SBS, turn it off or wipe the drive and use it for
something else.

But why spend all this money?  SBS is a perfectly good file and print server,
plus it has a number of other very useful features and cost less than 2003
R2.

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> Hi
>
> Can anyone help me please?
>
> I have an sbs 2003 server and we want to change everything to the new
> sever we bought which is running standard 2003 r2.
>
> We only use our server as a file and print. So all we need to to be
> bale to transfer the users etc and have them logon with no issues ie
> changing profiles etc.
>
> Can this be done?
>
> Thanx
>
> PS, really dont want to get involved with transition packs etc.
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Larry
1/8/2010 12:26:31 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your post and Larry's input.

I agree with Larry that you can easily join the new server to domain and migrate your SBS server then. As it is a hot topic, you can find many related articles that people discussed from the Internet and
forums, here are some just for your reference:

SBS 2003 to Server 2008/Exchange 2007
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverMigration/thread/d874300d-04fe-4c5a-aed1-65720c1019f5

Software Update to Support "Join Domain" Migration of Windows Small Business Server 2003 Data and Settings to New Hardware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=64903D3C-3264-418D-9199-2963A599E268&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Problem with Outlook 2003 (Cached Exchange Mode)
This user is insisting on using Cached Exchange Mode. The problem is that when it is turned on, it will not bring in mail beyond 2 days ago (ie. Tuesday and today). If I turn it off, he can see his inbox like normal (ie. Tues and today mail). At the bottom right hand corner of the screen, it says that the Inbox was last updated just a few minutes ago. I tried renaming his ost and let it recreate it. Also, if I log onto his machine as Administrator for the domain and create an Outlook profile for him from that logon. That uses a completely different .ost file in a totally different Windows...

Exchange 2003 Event ID 9322
We have an Exchange organization with 110 servers, about 40% of them are Exchange 2003 SP 2, the rest are Exchange 2000 SP 3. We are in the process of upgrading them. We have no 5.5 servers and are running in Native mode (no pre-2000 servers allowed). Yesterday we rebuilt on of the 2 primary bridgeheads for the entire organization. After we brought it back online and made it the master in the rotuing groups, then added it to all of the conenctors both local and remote, we began getting the following warnings in the event logs: Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeMTA Event Category: In...

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Outlook 2003 Desktop Icon.
After removing Office XP and installing Office 2003, the Outlook Desktop icon disappeared. I would like to have it back, because it contains certain functions a normal shortcut doesn't have. Strangely, when I reinstall Office XP the Outlook XP Desktop icon appears. However, after installing again Office 2003 there's again no Outlook 2003 Desktop icon. I working with Windows XP Professional edition. This is normal and part of the new software requirements for Windows XP. (During the beta, adding the icon back via a reg hack introduced odd error messages.) Instead you can try thi...

Access 2003 macro problem
I've been developing with Access '97 for quite some time. But now that we've moved all of our customers to Access 2003 I'm going to do all of the development with that tool. I have a macro which worked great in '97. The macro was invoked by using the keystroke combination Ctrl-E. In a macro named Autokeys, the Macro Name is ^e and the action is the name of a Public Sub in a Module. When invoked with Ctrl-E while the cursor was positioned on the declaration line of a new Sub or Function (either in a Module or a Form's Class Module, etc.) it would create a skeleton...

Upgrading the CPU?

Excel 2007 -- I want my old 2003 colors back!
Is there a switch to turn on the old colors in 2007? I hate the pastel shades and don't want to hand map the entire theme. Please let me know. RD I also want my old colors back. Not only do I like them, but it's causing a lot of compatibility issues between Excel 2007 & lower versions of Excel. Some of the colors are the same from what I can gather, but I noticed that green in particular is not the same and tends to cause me the most problems. -- § DAVEY § "RD" wrote: > Is there a switch to turn on the old colors in 2007? I hate the pastel >...

Publisher 2003
Can I do a Mailmerge directly to Outlook with Publisher, using a data source with E-mail addresses like I do with word? How? Here's a good primer on the topic: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP010382911033.aspx However, if you are doing a large list (eNewsletter), using the Publisher Add-in for ListBuilder (Microsoft bCentral) is a better option. P. "Jaime Soares" wrote: > Can I do a Mailmerge directly to Outlook with Publisher, using a data source > with E-mail addresses like I do with word? > How? ...

Out of Office not working Exchange 2003
I have an Exchange 2003 server, and have set the Internet Message Formats properties to allow Out of Office responses, restarted the SMTP and Exchange Routing Engine services, but it still won't send the Out of Office message to outside recipients. I even set the Allow automatic replies to on, just to see if that will work, but it simply doesn't. Any ideas on what else I need to do? A client really needs to get this working on his server, and I can't even get it working on mine. Rob Miles -- There are only 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those w...

Unable to open MS Money 2003 on my computer
I cannot access my MS Money program on my computer. The opening Money Screen indicates to try another password or say my user name is not the same as the password I have entered. Previously I would routinely enter MS Money but now the password I thought was correct is not. A note on this screen says my password is the same as my .Net Passport password but I never used .Net Passport even though I had registered for it long time ago. I did go to the .Net Passport site and changed my password but still could not open MS Money afterward. I had been away for four months and had been ...

SBS 2008 Premium and SQL
Server vendors install SBS 2008 standard edition when premium edition is purchased. You are given a license to install SBS Premium on another machine so that you can install SQL on the "Premium" installation or you can install SBS Premium in a virtual server on the same server. Can I just install the SQL that comes with Premium on the SBS 2008 Standard server and forget about the virtual install all together? -- Pat afaik, there is nothing in the EULA to prevent you from installing the SQL on the SBS, but you may have performance problems depending on the app and ...

Single quotes surrounding email display name in Outllook 2003 for Sent Items #2
I am posting again and hopping I can find a solution, if there is one for this issue. >> I have a small issue with Outlook 2003 where any email I send to a >> person which is not in my Contacts list, it displays single quotes >> surrounding the email display name in Sent Items folder. Thanks to the group, Traian "Traian Nemes" <traian_nemes@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:egpyZAz$EHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > It's not doing it all the time, and when I group by display name I do see > two groups, one with the quotes and one without f...

Charracter error in Outlook 2003 junk mail folder name in Spanish for IMAP
Hi, I'm writing because I have the following situation: I'm adding to my Outlook 2003 an IMAP account, and when I add it the junk mail folder name that in spanish is "Correo electr=F3nico no deseado" under root folder of the IMAP account appear as "Correo electr&AMP-nico no deseado". Obviously this is a problem about recognizing special characters of other languages. I tried to rename the folder without luck, every time I execute Outlook 2003 the name of the junk mail folder appears with the "&AMP-" I would like to know which file I can touch to ...

8.0 Upgrade

Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

Will Publisher 2002 work with Office 2003?
I have Publisher 2002 and I'm needing to update my Office software for school to 2003. Will my Publisher 2002 still work with Office 2003? Hi LaLana (LaLana@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have Publisher 2002 and I'm needing to update my Office software || for school to 2003. Will my Publisher 2002 still work with Office || 2003? Yes it will. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Better watch it Brian. the last t...

XP Upgrade

Upgrading to Money 2004 Premium
Hi, I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this problem, and if yes what was the work around. -- Cheers Catherine PM Community Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. In microsoft.public.money, Catherine Feldhausen [MSFT] wrote: > >I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that >my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this >problem, and if yes what was the wo...

Upgrade? or not to upgrade.
I accepted the invitation to try office 2010. Upon installation, outlook 2007 quit working. Since that is the only critical piece i need out of office, and all my emails etch i desperately need are on there, I uninstalled. Now I get no out look. I get the error: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. I am really kicking myself, I knew i shouldn't have done the upgrade trial. I am bordering on hysteria here. Can anyone help? Tried to open in compatibility mode xp but no go same error. Outlook now does not appear in the start ...

Outlook 2003 and opening link question
I'm wanting to change the way Outlook 2003 opens links/webpages - from opening them in Explorer to Firefox. Please guide me to where the option to change this is. Thanks in advance! There is no such setting in Outlook; set Firefox as your default browser. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Ben" <bswong@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:%xboj.9252$421.7874@news-serv...

Upgrade to 8.0/Upgrade FRX
When upgrading Great Plains (from 7.5 to 8.0) do you suggest installing over the 7.5 client or uninstalling 8.0 fresh? How about FRX? (6.5 to 6.7) Thanks, Annalisa I like to keep the GP installation clean but I've had success installing over the existing client. Just make sure you export all modified reports and forms to package files. For FRx, it will give you options during the installation process. I would keep the existing version and install in a new directory. "afollo" wrote: > When upgrading Great Plains (from 7.5 to 8.0) do you suggest installing over > ...

Outlook XP & 2003 PST Conversion
Hey Folks, Aside from doing an import, is there perhaps an easier way to convert a PST from the XP format to the 2003 format (unicode vs. ANSI)? I'm hoping someone may have some insight they can share with me on this matter. Thank You, Marty -- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ No, there's no magic wand or application to do the work for you. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Marty...

downloading Office 2007 Professional didn't upgrade my outlook 20.
I downloaded a trial version of Office 2007 Professional which I then converted to my own. I also have Office 2000 still on my computer. How do I get outlook to upgrade from 2000 to 2007? The trial version of Outlook will not install if any other version of Outlook is installed What does "converted to my own" mean? "rmeadie" <rmeadie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A302D5A5-12EA-4C56-8944-53FAD9A7A0C1@microsoft.com... >I downloaded a trial version of Office 2007 Professional which I then > converted to my own. I also have Office ...