The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.

Hello,
   Today noticed large email queue on SBS2003, cannot send emails to any
outside domain, and in addiditional queue information i see this message -
The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
   Our SBS2003 is used for email recieving and sending, no external smart
hosts and server is behind firewall. Looks like our internal AD DNS is
working fine, i can recieve recrusive answers from DNS(cheked with nslookup),
also i can connect with telnet to port 25 to any mail server in queue, also i
can connect to my server from interet with telnet on port 25. I enabled
diagnostic logging for ms exchange transport and in event log saw these
messages: "Message delivery to the host xxx.xxx.xx.xx failed while delivering
to the remote domain  'domain.eu' for the following reason: The connection
was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
 The SMTP verb which caused the error is 'quit'.  The response from the
remote server is ''.
   Of course i restarted server few times, but no changes, also cheked our
MX and PTR records at ISP DNS, and our external ip isn't listed in any rbl.
Uninstalled antivirus software from server, because some people had similar
problems from antivirus.

Hi JJ:

that message is not definitive, unfortuntly.  Besides this, what errors related
to exchange or smtp are in the event logs?

Are there only messages orginating on your network in the outbound queue,
or are there hundreds/thousands that orginated somewhere else?

Have you turned up logging on the exchage in Echange Server Manager?

Please post the results of the command:  ipconfig /all > c:\iptest.txt.
-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

> Hello,
> Today noticed large email queue on SBS2003, cannot send emails to
> any
> outside domain, and in addiditional queue information i see this
> message -
> The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
> Our SBS2003 is used for email recieving and sending, no external
> smart
> hosts and server is behind firewall. Looks like our internal AD DNS is
> working fine, i can recieve recrusive answers from DNS(cheked with
> nslookup),
> also i can connect with telnet to port 25 to any mail server in queue,
> also i
> can connect to my server from interet with telnet on port 25. I
> enabled
> diagnostic logging for ms exchange transport and in event log saw
> these
> messages: "Message delivery to the host xxx.xxx.xx.xx failed while
> delivering
> to the remote domain  'domain.eu' for the following reason: The
> connection
> was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
> The SMTP verb which caused the error is 'quit'.  The response from
> the
> remote server is ''.
> Of course i restarted server few times, but no changes, also cheked
> our
> MX and PTR records at ISP DNS, and our external ip isn't listed in any
> rbl.
> Uninstalled antivirus software from server, because some people had
> similar problems from antivirus.

0
Larry
12/21/2009 11:50:15 PM
"JJ" <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>   Today noticed large email queue on SBS2003, cannot send emails to any
> outside domain, and in addiditional queue information i see this message -
> The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
>   Our SBS2003 is used for email recieving and sending, no external smart
> hosts and server is behind firewall. Looks like our internal AD DNS is
> working fine, i can recieve recrusive answers from DNS(cheked with
> nslookup),
> also i can connect with telnet to port 25 to any mail server in queue,
> also i
> can connect to my server from interet with telnet on port 25. I enabled
> diagnostic logging for ms exchange transport and in event log saw these
> messages: "Message delivery to the host xxx.xxx.xx.xx failed while
> delivering
> to the remote domain  'domain.eu' for the following reason: The connection
> was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
> The SMTP verb which caused the error is 'quit'.  The response from the
> remote server is ''.
>   Of course i restarted server few times, but no changes, also cheked our
> MX and PTR records at ISP DNS, and our external ip isn't listed in any
> rbl.
> Uninstalled antivirus software from server, because some people had
> similar
> problems from antivirus.

The Event sink portion seems to be indicating a third party Exchange app is
installed. It could be an antivirus, XClaimer, etc. What is installed on the
machine?

Are you getting EventID 2012 or 2013 errors?

Is this happening with normal domains that you send to, or ones you do not
recognize? You could be under an attack someone trying to relay through your
server.

One thing I did find when I searched on this error, is the following quote
from Exchange-experts.com.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Email_Groupware/Exchange_Server/Q_21110083.html

He didn't indicate it, but my guess his issue may have been that the
Exchange folders were not excluded from the antivirus scanning.

"i fixed this. disabling the anti-virus, re-installing smtp, then
re-installing exchange. bout 12 hours now. wanted to thank everyone for
their help with this so i split the points. "

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

0
Ace
12/22/2009 12:51:38 AM
Hello,
I found where was problem, we have Astaro firewall(hardware appliance), this
box have smtp  proxy, antispam and antivirus functions, like greylisting,
batv, spf chek, rbl chek and so on, found that one engine just hangs up(even
without  error message) for outgoing emails, disabled it and everything
started to work.  I will contact Astaro support for more information, but
looks like everything is ok with Exchange. Yes, i believe in some situations
it could be caused by installed antivirus, if it have some antispam or
firewall functions, but not in this case.

Thanks,
JJ.

> Hello,
> I found where was problem, we have Astaro firewall(hardware appliance),
> this
> box have smtp  proxy, antispam and antivirus functions, like greylisting,
> batv, spf chek, rbl chek and so on, found that one engine just hangs
> up(even
> without  error message) for outgoing emails, disabled it and everything
> started to work.  I will contact Astaro support for more information, but
> looks like everything is ok with Exchange. Yes, i believe in some
> situations
> it could be caused by installed antivirus, if it have some antispam or
> firewall functions, but not in this case.
>

> Thanks,
> JJ.

Good to hear you pinpointed the problem. Let us know what their tech support
says.

Ace

0
Ace

MouseDown and Click events
I have a form with some buttons on it. When I press one of the buttons it will launch some app. Now I also want to also be able to drag any of these button to an area at the bottom of the form so that the button will be removed from the form. The problem is the button MouseDown event blocks the button.Click event, so while I can drag the buttons I cant actually click them to launch any apps. Anyone any idea how I can implement this? mick On 4/24/2010 12:24 PM, mick wrote: > I have a form with some buttons on it. When I press one of the > buttons it will launch some ap...

Check SMTP Queue?
Is there any tool for checking an SMTP queue on a Windows 2000 Server. We have a Antispam server that we are using for relaying our mails to/from and I cannot see any SMTP queues on that server. I can offcourse check the logfiles but that's not a very convenient way of working. Is there any tools that you can use to check the queues the same way (or similar) to the GUI you are using in Exchange 2000? Reg J�rgen Persson Sweden "J�rgen" <jorgen_persson78@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is there any tool for checking an SMTP queue on a Windows 2000 Server. We >have a ...

ESE Event 489 Read access to old location of priv / pub
After moving my exchange databases, I recieve 489 errors with "open file operation" read failures for each exchange database file. The issue is the location being referenced in the error is not where exchange databases have been moved to, they are referencing the locations where they were moved from. I've moved the database again in attempt to clear things up, and now I have an error for each db file in each of the old locations (now x 2). ************** ************** ************** ************** ************** ************** ************** Event Type: Error Event Source: E...

Form On Open event, except not exactly
I have a form with a command button that opens a second form and populates it with data from the initial form. That part is fine. What I want to do is use that data in an On Open event (or something) that will execute *after* the data is loaded by the first procedure. Specifically, the second form should display an image based on a path and filename concatenated from the first form's data : Forms!PhotoData!imgFrame1.Picture = strImagePath It all works fine using a command button on the second form; but that requires loading a default image and a manual click to display the intended imag...

SBS Connectivity issues
Experiencing intermittent delays and dropped connections to Small Business Server. Config is: SBS2003 SP2 (all current patches) running on HP ML110 server; 4 PCs onsite - 3 used by onsite staff; 1 used by remote user to access server via RWW. Users run basic Office apps, Outlook, Quickbooks, internet access. Also have an Avaya VIOP phone system (4 phones) on the network. Everything has been in place for almost 4 years. Having more frequent connectivity issues. Onsite PCs show delays in Outlook connecting to Exchange ('Trying to connect ...). Remote user reports...

ODBC Connection Not Connecting
I am using the below code to 1) automatically connect to a Microsoft ODBC for Oracle connection called "FIN_CUR" and 2) run an query on a linked table in FIN_CUR The issue i am having is that the ODBC connect part of the script appears to be working, but when it goes to try to run the query I still get the popup prompting for user name and password to make the connection to the ODBC. I have verify that the user name and password are correct, but don't know what I am missing. Here is my code Public Sub OraConnect() Dim strErr As String On Error GoTo...

Outlook Win98SE Trying to Connect to Server time out. IBM 390E & Rogers.com
I have loaded Win98SE and Office 97 on an IBM 390E laptop using IBM Etherjet 10/100 network card connected to a D- Link 714P+ 4-port wire&wireless cable router. Network file transfers work fine, IE 6 works fine. Outlook often hangs when it loads and trys to connect to the (Rogers.com) server to download email messages. I contacted Rogers tech support and all settings are correct. If I take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the cable modem - Outlooks works like a charm & fast downloading of messages. I have 3 other PCs connected on the LAN and all work fine...

VPN can't connect to workstations
I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server shares with no problem. My problem is that it cannot connect to the workstations . Would appreciate any input on that. "john" <johnbahran@hotmail.com> said this in news item news:b4419f87-386b-41de-876a-e3546096ecc2@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > I am running a 2k3 network and I am trying to connect my laptop w/ > Vista to it using VPN. I can connect to the server and use server > shares with no problem. My problem is ...

Simultaneous socket connections. Is there a limit?
My client wants me to write an application that maintains 30 or 40 simultaneous socket connections to different hardware devices. For each device the throughput requirements are very small since only some small packets are sent occasionally at random intervals. Is there a simultaneous limit? 30 or 40 is far more then I have ever done. I don't want any surprises. Is there a limit? I assume XP Professional would handle this. Correct? Would XP Home be any different? My laptop has XP home. To certain incoming ports, its 10, although there are several cracks out their to remove this...

Sync two drop down lists
Hi, could somebody please help me out with this problem. Let's say that I have two sheets and an identical drop box list on both of these sheets. That is, both drop boxes give the user the same/ identical choices of selectable alternatives. I want these boxes to be in sync: if the user selects "apples" on one sheet... the drop box on the other sheet should automatically change to "apples" as well. As the user may initialize the change on any of the two sheets, the sync needs to work both ways (always updating according to the latest change). Can this be done using lis...

capturing the click event of a tab
Hi all I think this is possible, but have not been able to find out how. Does anyone know the syntax of how to do this in CRM 3 and where to set it? TIA Saira Hi Saira, See "Getting notified when the user selects a another tab on a form" on http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/topic.aspx?id=JS4. -- Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP CRM Blog: http://www.stunnware.com/?area=blog ---------------------------------------------------------- "Saira" <saira@5d.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:eQJJ2NhyIHA.6096@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi all > I think this...

Drop Down Menu
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C51284.8D46FD30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How can you set the File Drop Down Menu to open all the way instead of = having to select the little arrows to get it to drop down all the way? = Thanks. This happens in other programs too. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C51284.8D46FD30 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN&q...

server connect
When I first start up Outlook 2003, it contacts the mail server and everything is hunky-doory. However, when attempting to next access the mail account by the send/receive access or in background, it indicates that it cannot locate the server and gives me error (0x80004210A). This error number is not consistent other than for the 0x800 portion. The location does not change, so how can it find it initially, and not later on? I'm confused. What type of mail server? POP3, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, Other...? Does the same happen when you disable your firewall and/or virusscanner (integra...

IMAP: A connection to the server cannot be established
I have Outlook 2007 Installed on Two Separate PCs. One has Vista installed, and the other, Windows 7. McAfee Security Center is the Anti-Virus software unstalled on both PCs. I have setup 2 IMAP Accounts on each PC and can only get the ones on the Vista Box to work correctly. This is the error I keep getting on the Windows 7 Box: Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for [my-email-account].' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for [my-email-account]. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this ...

Is it possible to have recurring events in a Publisher calendar?
I am creating a calendar in Publisher- Is it possible to have recurring events each month in such a calendar; if not, is there another way to do this? Create a text box with the recurring event, copy/paste into each month. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "P Miles" <P Miles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13592B2C-4CF6-4A0B-A223-DCD917C23520@microsoft.com... >I am creating a calendar in Publisher- Is it possible to have recurring > events each month in such a calendar; if not, is there another way to do this? ...

drag and drop
hi I am Using VS2008 and WindowsForms how can I drag and drop a datagridviewrow over a treenode ? I have a treeview like in the Explorer on left side of a panel, and on the right side I have a datagridView, and I need to drag and drop a row from that grid to the treenode thanks for some code example or link reference bye Sergio T explained : > hi > > I am Using VS2008 and WindowsForms > > how can I drag and drop a datagridviewrow over a treenode ? > > I have a treeview like in the Explorer on left side of a panel, and on the > righ...

IE8 and Firefox won't connect to Yuku?
I've been having an issue tonight where my internet won't connect to the Yuku site first on IE8 then on Firefox, both sites got the same screen telling me it's an inactive site and I have connection issues. I ran the trouble shooter and it's telling me I don't have an issue? I'm on Windows 7 upgrade from XP, Windows Firewall is on, spyware is AVG and Spybot. I checked all the settings and nothing looked different as I was on the site like 2 days ago. Any ideas on what the problem is? Maybe you do have connection issues? 4thjet wrote: > I've been ...

Hotmail connection
I'm new to Microsoft Outlook, and want to view and send email using Microsoft Outlook. I have used Hotmail for quite a while, and am looking for a method of "re-routing". (?) I played around with the configurations, but still could not connect to my hotmail accout through Outlook. Can any one help? Thanks. Which version of Outlook? Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) (9.0.0.2711) Internet Mail Only Copyright (c) 1995-1999 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. "miker67@gmail.com" wrote: > Which version of Outlook? > > zephyrus17 <zephyrus17@discussions.micros...

Drag & Drop text
Hello, Implementing drag & drop in C# seems pretty easy. However, in attempting to do so I ran into an issue that I don't understand. I found that I could drag & drop icons but when I tried to drag & drop text it would always display the red circle with the bar through it, so I would never even get to the point of being allowed to drop it. As first I thought it was something wrong in my code (which it may still be), but when I tried to drag & drop text between two 3rd party text editor applications like Wordpad and UltraEdit, it wouldn't let me do th...

Intranet Connection
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to connect 5 computers using Outlook XP intranet. What is = the best way to connect them....using MS mail, MS Exchange, etc. Thanks Douglas ------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C3CF10.F7EDF7A0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD>...

Drop Ship PO with incorrect SHIP TO address
When creating a purchase order from a drop ship FILLORDER, the SHIP TO address sometimes does not print the correct address. It will be filled in with the VENDOR address, not the drop ship customer's address. It will not always do this, it appears to be random. I'm sure that there is some field that hasn't been checked. Any suggestions? -- Pam ...

Secure communication over SMTP is unavailable.
Hi, can someone help me out with this one: I want to use secure communication over SMTP in Exchange 2003, but the buttons for it are unavailable (inactive) for some reason (see the picture http://imajr.com/exchange_2522) How to make these options available? when items are greyed out check your exchange policies vvt <vvt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, can someone help me out with this one: >I want to use secure communication over SMTP in Exchange 2003, but the >buttons for it are unavailable (inactive) for some reason (see the picture >http://imajr.com/exchange...

Maintain network connectivity on shutdown?
Hello, we have added a script to run at Windows shutdown and in testing it seems to at least run, but the problem is part of the script process that needs to access a server on our network fails because it appears that network connectivity has been dropped at this point in the shutdown process. Is there any way to set it so that network connectivity is retained on shutdown? For example, if there is still at least IP connectivity (but the WINS service has been shutdown), then could we run something on a command line to invoke the network resource? Any help would be greatly appreci...