Stop sbs 2008 migration - can I back out of migration?

I started migrating sbs 2003 to sbs 2008.  I have installed sbs 2008 on
another server using the answer file and started the Migration wizard on the
SBS 2008 after OS load.  I have done the first three steps in the Migration
wizard.

Can I stop the migration?  Can I forcefully take control back and remove the
new sbs 2008 svr from my domain without any reprecussions?

I want to start over.  Call it poor planning or ignorance, but I made a bad
call.  I have this nice beefy server and should have virtualized SBS 2008.  I
didnt and now am asking for assistance to undo it.

What steps have you performed? Depending on what has been done, the easiest
answer could be to restore from backup.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"ABCPoly-JRS" <ABCPolyJRS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I started migrating sbs 2003 to sbs 2008.  I have installed sbs 2008 on
> another server using the answer file and started the Migration wizard on
> the
> SBS 2008 after OS load.  I have done the first three steps in the
> Migration
> wizard.
>
> Can I stop the migration?  Can I forcefully take control back and remove
> the
> new sbs 2008 svr from my domain without any reprecussions?
>
> I want to start over.  Call it poor planning or ignorance, but I made a
> bad
> call.  I have this nice beefy server and should have virtualized SBS 2008.
> didnt and now am asking for assistance to undo it.

Charlie
4/27/2010 3:02:43 PM
I see three options:

1) You can restore a backup.  This, of course, loses any pertinent work
you've done, but can be the most painless solution.

2) You can finish the migration and then look at doing a physical to virtual
(P2V) conversion.  There are products oand procedures on the market to do
this and would mean you wouldn't lose any work and progress you've made with
the migration thus far.  Considering it sounds like your only regret is not
virtualizing, that'd be my suggestion.

3) Finish the migration then do another swing migration to a virtual
machine.  This is essentially the same as #2, but eliminates the P2V
conversion for a fresh install.  This would allow you to correct any other
configuration decisions you want to change and you get the first install
done as a good "practice round" so you have a better idea what to expect.
Also a very good option.

Hope that helps,

-Cliff

"ABCPoly-JRS" <ABCPolyJRS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I started migrating sbs 2003 to sbs 2008.  I have installed sbs 2008 on
> another server using the answer file and started the Migration wizard on
> the
> SBS 2008 after OS load.  I have done the first three steps in the
> Migration
> wizard.
>
> Can I stop the migration?  Can I forcefully take control back and remove
> the
> new sbs 2008 svr from my domain without any reprecussions?
>
> I want to start over.  Call it poor planning or ignorance, but I made a
> bad
> call.  I have this nice beefy server and should have virtualized SBS 2008.
> didnt and now am asking for assistance to undo it.

Cliff

stops responding

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

recipient policy stopped working

Routing outbound email from branch back to main for internet delivery
I've originally setup my single domain, exchange 03 organization like this: main office exchange receives all email and routes email to branch office exchange server for those users. Mailboxes for users are on their respective office servers. So I have two routing groups, one going between main and branch and one for branch to main. In each I also have SMTP connectors for outbound internet email. I want to change this so the outbound email from the branch office routes the mail back to the main office and the main office exchange sends out to the internet. I'm not sure how to reco...

Get the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Data Migration Pack
Today we released our Data Migration Pack for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0. It includes: o Data Migration Framework 3.0 An updated version of the tool we provided for 1.2, now enhanced with a explanatory interface that guides users through the data migration process. This is the main tool used when migrating data into CRM from different systems. o Data Migration Wizard for Microsoft Office Outlook with Business Contact Manager An end-to-end wizard targeted at the Small Business Edition users. An easy-to-use migration option is provided for users coming from Business Contact Manager...

Backing up the PST file(s)
I recently began using Outlook 2003 on a new Windows 7 Home Premium Computer. I successfully imported my emails and contacts from an older Windows XP computer. I want to have my Outlook data store =96 the .PST file set up for automatic backup using the =93Second Copy=94 program. I want to tell the backup program which file(s) and where. On the Mail page of Outlook, I used the click sequence Rt Click Personal Folders Properties Advanced The resulting file name is: C:\Users\PT\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst But in c:\Users\PT\MyDocuments, there=92s another fi...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...

Excel 2007
Hi all - first post to this ng I've just had my first play with Excel 2007 and (while I appreciate things move on) I don't like the new ribbon interface. In particular it's irritating me that (having been an Excel user since 1994) I consider myself something of an expert - yet this new interface is actually slowing me down. I've heard (can't remember where now) that there's a way to put the old interface back (but you need to buy some 3rd party software to do this). Is this true? Is this the only way to do it? I just wondered if there was an update which inc...

SBS 2008 & Server 2003
We have a new Windows SBS 2008 and an existing Windows Server 2003. Can we use the existing Server 2003 as a Member Server running Terminal Services on the Same network as the new Windows SBS 2008. Regards, Guido Yes http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2009/07/22/setting-up-a-second-server-to-be-a-terminal-server-in-sbs-2008.aspx -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC Remote Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.Microsoft-Online-Services.com ...

sql 2008 table partitioning
We've recently installed SQL 2008 Ent. and are thinking about using SQL's table partitioning. We've read the document about partitioning from Microsoft's website and we're looking for feedback from anyone that is using it. It seems as if we essentially create the partitioning function and we're off to the races. I know that is simplifying things a lot, but in essence we think that's what we do. We're looking at partitioning a table that will have about 800 million records/year, and partitioning seems to be the answer rather than archiving/delet...

Stop all macros
I have a button on a form, which should do different things depending on 1. The data contained within the current record; 2. Whether the current record is a 'new record'; 3. Whether the current record is the first record in the form. On click, an embedded macro is initiated. Each step in the embedded macro has a condition and a corresponding 'RunMacro' action. All the conditions are mutually exclusive, and each sub-macro has a final step of 'StopAllMacros'. So the embedded macro should trigger one, and only one sub-macro. However, it appears that what is act...

Stopping a Campaign Temporarily
Hi, My client has executed the campaign in Jan 1st 2006 and the end date is Dec 31st 2006. But he wants to stop the campaign temporarily from 15th July 2006 and again start it from 1st Aug 2006. So what is that I need to do for this thing, i have never come across this kind of situation before. Thanks in advance. Regards, Shabbir. ...

Are there and Built-in Application Failover Technologies in .NET and/or Windows Server 2008 (or SQL Server)
Hi all A bit of a general question, hence the cross-posting. I have a .NET application running on a Windows Server 2008 server. For resilience, I want to run it on another server simultaneously, but only one instance of the application can be 'active' at any one time. In the event that the active instance of the application fails for some reason, I want the passive one to take over. What techniques are there available to make this an automatic process? Of course, I can roll my own, as it were, and I would be interested in how other people would implement a bespoke ...

use sbs 2003 as webserver only
hello, i have some questions related to sbs 2003. i would like to host some community websites on sbs 2003 box. everything is installed like in the licensing agreement (ads, exchange ...). now my questions: 1. what are the differences between sbs 2003, server 2003 and server 2003 web edition? 2. are there any licensing violations i can't find any licensing information that would forbid to do so. any help would be appreciated This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0075_01CAE21A.F659D570 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8&qu...

Would you stop for a moment?!
Excuse me!! Would you stop for a moment?! O...man...Haven't you thought-one day- about yourself ? Who has made it? Have you seen a design which hasn't a designer ?! Have you seen a wonderful,delicate work without a worker ?! It's you and the whole universe!.. Who has made them all ?!! You know who ?.. It's "ALLAH",prise be to him. Just think for a moment. How are you going to be after death ?! Can you believe that this exact system of the universe and all of these great creation will end in in nothing...just after death! Have you thought, for a second, How to save you...

Stop
I have two items in my register, one a transfer to my bank and another a deposited item. I made one bank deposit for the combined amount. When it cleared, I matched it against the two items and all seemed fine. Problem is that every day Money shows the item again as an unmatched item and I have to delete it constantly. I realise this system isn't to well written, but is there any way to have this not show up. After all it was matched and accepted once. In microsoft.public.money, John Barnes wrote: >I have two items in my register, one a transfer to my bank and another a &g...

trouble with 32 bit print drivers on Server 2008
I am having trouble getting a couple of 32 bit print drivers loaded on server 2008. I was able to load several by adding them from a Vista client machine. I have three or four that will not install when performing the same steps. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. -- Skywalker77 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Skywalker77's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/185952.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-server-help/1307006.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

NIC Teaming in SBS 2008
Does SBS 2008 standard (or premium) support NIC teaming? Yes or No! I intend to install SBS 2008, create the team and then run the ICW. If this is going to work then great. I know it doesn twork on SBS2003 as it complains there are too many NICs. Thanks! Dominic, SBS 2008 does not support multiple NICs. That's the simple statement. Not as teaming, not as routing, not as an Internet firewall server. The SBS 2008 Setup generally has trouble with multiple NICs or teaming, and the network related wizards fail on teaming NICs. MS recommends not using NIC teaming on an SBS...

how do you stop spam?
I'm taking care of a Windows NT Server (4) with Exchange 5.5 SP2 installed. We have around 40 employees in the company and they have been complaining about spam. Desktops are running Outlook 2000. Is there a way to stop spam without installing a third party software? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. there is an open source one available. i think it is on sourceforge.net. search for smtp. mike "Peter McCaul" <compcoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ujtLb2riEHA.1140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I'm taking care of a Windows NT Server (4) with Exchange 5.5 SP2...

Sending and Receiving Email stops after installing Exchange 2003 SP1
I've installed Exchange 2003 SP1 and sending and receiving email has stopped. All services are running. Messages seem to be in the local delivery queue. Any suggestions? Thanks. I've been fighting the same thing. Users get -- 800ccc0f or 8004210 Machine is DC, running ADC --- HELP ! ! ! Hi Dan Had same problem, try to stop all Exchange and web (IIS especialy) manualy. ' Then reinstalle PS1, it solved my problem. Carsten "Dan" <dslaby.no2spam@evergreeninfo.biz> wrote in message news:<Ov0nh5DREHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>... > I've install...

Hotmail accts stopped working?
My Hotmail accts stopped working in Outlook Express 6 and regular Outlook (XP first, then I upgraded to 2003 beta 2) about a month ago. OE says "Authorization Required" but the password is definitely correct since I access the accts daily via the web on the same machine. Maybe something screwed up in the registry or possibly an encryption DLL... anyone have any ideas? thanks! -- ---------------------------------- To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master, become the master. - Ancient Zen poem that is th...

Auto-stop feature?
I would like to be able to play a DVD while I'm faling asleep and have Windows Media Player automatically stop at the end of the DVD (so the DVD drive doesn't run all night). I have the feature on my TV's DVD player, so I assume it is something that can also be done on my computer. I just can't figure out how. On Mon, 10 May 2010 19:00:01 -0700, hlagas <hlagas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I would like to be able to play a DVD while I'm faling asleep and have >Windows Media Player automatically stop at the end of the DVD (so the DVD ...