SBS2003 + BB Express Server?

I'm wondering if running a large Exchange store with the BB Express
Server is too much to push a 32-bit server OS like SBS2003??

My limited users were earlier complaining about how slow to search their
mails were (large amounts of mail! :p), so with a completely renewed
install + restoring their Exchange store, am I pushing the limits of the
server?

I would think that if one could upgrade the RAM (I have 5 GB presently,
only 3.5 GB being recognized) substantially and run a 64-bit OS, one
would have more headroom, or can I get away with a year or so with the
current setup?

TIA!

--
SuperFlyBoy
SuperFlyBoy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/68753.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
SuperFlyBoy

need more details how many users how much memory you are using now
What Specs are your server?
CPU's Hard Drives RAID Configuration (RAID Card memory?)

When you say it only sees 3.5 GB it makes me think this is a PC Box turned
into a Server?
This is an issue on PC Motherboards and some low end Server motherboards...
(SBS2003 will only see 4GB so Adding more memory won't help.)

Searching Emails also Depends on the client side.
What OS are they running how much Memory each PC has and the CPU of that PC
hard Drive etc.

Example if they are Win7 the search is Local
if they are XP and don't have Search 4.0 installed it is on the Server.
(if they are XP and they have Decent Specs then install Search 4.0 and it
will help some)

However if they are XP I suggest getting New PC's for affected users with
new hardware and Win7
This will help the slowness.

However You don't say what "LARGE" email is....
You need to remind people that email is not meant to be a storage medium for
files.
(Despite what people want, or was told by their expert friend of a friend.)

I know users tend to think "Oh this is always the way we have done it"
But in reality it doesn't matter...
Design is design...

Give some more information on specs
And we can help better address the situation
Thanks
Russ

--
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC

"SuperFlyBoy" <SuperFlyBoy.4budhb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I'm wondering if running a large Exchange store with the BB Express
> Server is too much to push a 32-bit server OS like SBS2003??
>
> My limited users were earlier complaining about how slow to search their
> mails were (large amounts of mail! :p), so with a completely renewed
> install + restoring their Exchange store, am I pushing the limits of the
> server?
>
> I would think that if one could upgrade the RAM (I have 5 GB presently,
> only 3.5 GB being recognized) substantially and run a 64-bit OS, one
> would have more headroom, or can I get away with a year or so with the
> current setup?
>
> TIA!
>

> --
> SuperFlyBoy
> SuperFlyBoy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/68753.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1342504.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Russ
5/31/2010 8:29:47 PM
HP ML350G4p, with RAID drives - 143 GB SCSI 15k - ProLiant Server,
single Xeon.

Clients are Dell 745 OptiPlex745's, with 2 GB RAM, 160GB HD's, running
XP pro SP3.

By "Large", the e-mail (individual) database is probably over 10 GB for
some users, encompassing maybe 3 years of e-mail correspondence.

What would be an option if one were to archive but require immediate
access to the same?

--
SuperFlyBoy
SuperFlyBoy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/68753.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1342504.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
SuperFlyBoy
6/1/2010 2:44:56 AM
(First I pray that they are not POP3 this 10GB Database and they are on OST)

Next thing I'd do is get another 2GB on the Server.
It is probably Caching BIG time.

You can get some memory at http://www.OEMPCWorld.com

The BB Express I would not probably want on a Server with only 1 CPU myself.
at 10GB Mailbox each probably means they are using the email server as a
FILE Server
They really need to move Files to a FILE Structure and not email.

Yes I know, this is the way we have ALWAYs done it....

I hope on the PC's they are Dual Core?
To help speed up search on XP
Install Search 4.0 on each XP desktop and wait till it indexes.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose/windowssearch4.mspx

Open up Outlook and Wait
(It will take over night for a 10GB mailbox to index)

Their searching should be a lot quicker because they are not CALLING the
Server.

On The Archiving and immediate access...

For one thing IMO This really needs to be paradigm shift in how they are
doing this.
At 10GB for 3 years it is only a matter of time before they will be crawling
for messages.

Yes I know you can get lucky and Keep Hoping a new Exchange server will be
created to help you out.
Example Exchange 2010
(But Migration of Large Mailboxes are PAINFULL)

Exchange was never meant to be a file server and search database...

There is EHS Microsoft Searching Archiving with 10 year Unlimited storage.
However Realize this will not be the same as they are using now....

Like I said the main this is there needs to be a MENTAL Change on users.
the 20MB email they get should NOT be stored on email but a folder.

To what they do IMO this depends on what there job is, there is CRM or other
Hosted Solutions
that will do exactly what they are doing....  And will Hold all their data.

The 2GB add and Search 4.0 will help for now.
The big problem you will have is moving this 10GB database over to a new
Server.
(This will take some time.)

There is other Archive methods like GFI Archive that can give you some added
archiving...

I don't know if this is a client? or you?
But if this is a client I'd sit down and find out where they are going and
where they need to go.

This is a strategy time and some decisions need to be made so it doesn't
bite them in the ##@$#@

If they do not do anything Look for a painful Migration at the end of this
year or the beginning of next
:(

I hope this helps
Russ

--

"SuperFlyBoy" <SuperFlyBoy.4buwxb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> HP ML350G4p, with RAID drives - 143 GB SCSI 15k - ProLiant Server,
> single Xeon.
>
> Clients are Dell 745 OptiPlex745's, with 2 GB RAM, 160GB HD's, running
> XP pro SP3.
>
> By "Large", the e-mail (individual) database is probably over 10 GB for
> some users, encompassing maybe 3 years of e-mail correspondence.
>
> What would be an option if one were to archive but require immediate
> access to the same?
>

> --
> SuperFlyBoy
> SuperFlyBoy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/68753.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1342504.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Russ
6/1/2010 4:42:08 AM
Sorry I missed the 2GB was on PC's and I forgot the other thread is 3.5 GB
ram

Download Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C243A5AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&amp;displaylang=fr&displaylang=en

And Open up Each SQL instance and Adjust your Memory usage.

If using SQL Server Management Studio Express can't connect to
Microsoft##SSEE
Enter
\\.\pipe\mssql$microsoft##ssee\sql\query

What is your current Memory usage on the Server?

Russ

--
Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP]
MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
Remote Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.Microsoft-Online-Services.com

"SuperFlyBoy" <SuperFlyBoy.4buwxb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> HP ML350G4p, with RAID drives - 143 GB SCSI 15k - ProLiant Server,
> single Xeon.
>
> Clients are Dell 745 OptiPlex745's, with 2 GB RAM, 160GB HD's, running
> XP pro SP3.
>
> By "Large", the e-mail (individual) database is probably over 10 GB for
> some users, encompassing maybe 3 years of e-mail correspondence.
>
> What would be an option if one were to archive but require immediate
> access to the same?
>

> --
> SuperFlyBoy
> SuperFlyBoy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/68753.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1342504.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Russ
6/1/2010 4:46:45 AM
'Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP Wrote:
> ;4965157']Sorry I missed the 2GB was on PC's and I forgot the other
> thread is 3.5 GB
> ramI think you can edit your posts, if you catch your mistake fast
enough...

--
SuperFlyBoy
SuperFlyBoy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/68753.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1342504.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
SuperFlyBoy
6/1/2010 5:01:56 AM
Not when you use the newsgroups as you should
(Avoid techarena)
it copies the source
Russ

--

"SuperFlyBoy" <SuperFlyBoy.4bv59c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> 'Russ SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP Wrote:
>> ;4965157']Sorry I missed the 2GB was on PC's and I forgot the other
>> thread is 3.5 GB
>> ramI think you can edit your posts, if you catch your mistake fast
> enough...
>

> --
> SuperFlyBoy
> SuperFlyBoy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/68753.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/small-business-server/1342504.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
Russ

Move Calendar from SBS2003 to SBS2008
I need to move a sharepoint calendar from one server to another. I followed this document http://www.dlocc.com/articles/how-to-move-sharepoint-calendars-fast/ that explains how to create a backup and restore. The backup seemed to work just fine and I could even restore the file on the new sharepoint but when I look under the tracking section the new calendar is not there. It shows up under the list templates in the gallery but it is not available from the tracking section. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! ...

Outlook Express SMTP error
Help please. I am rying to set up Outlook Express on a friend's computer. She can connect to the Internet via her ISP - talktalk.net (we're in the UK) - and open and view web pages in Explorer. She can receive emails from the mail.talktalk.net server but when trying to send emails via the smtp.talktalk.net server she keeps getting the following errror message: "An unknown error has occurred. Subject'Re: Whatever...', Account "Talktalk", Server 'smtp.talktalk.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451 Error while writing spool file,' Port: ...

SFO message "The Microsoft CRM server was not found."
I have reproduced this error on two XP Professional virtual machines. On VM2 I installed a fresh OS, manually applied SP1 and then let SBS2003 add Outlook 2003, etc. I started Outlook once, started the indexing service and loaded SFO. It installed the required components of framework 1.1, MSXML and MSDE. I then rebooted. I was able to take Outlook offline and replicate sample data into MSDE without any issues. Then I applied all critical patches from windows update and rebooted. Now when I click Go Offline I receive an immediate message "CRM Sales for Outlook cannot go offline. Th...

ESEUTIL falls over a 97% and locks the server
Our Exchange 2000 standard edition mailbox store has reached 16gb, so we have used the registry change to give us an extra 1gb and have reduced all mailboxes in size, but when we came to run the eseutil /d "F:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1 ..edb" /tc:\temp\tempdfrg.edb /p command to reclaim some space,it reaches 97% and locks the server! We are currently looking into whether we can do the defrag of the priv1.edb on another server, but has anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance. Hi Forestboy have you tried just using the /p option and running /d after that? Arp &...

SBS2003 and office 2010
Hello, I have a SBS2003 Sp2 and a client PC with Windows 7 pro and office 2010 pro. in outlook 2010 everthing works fine the only thing that doesn't work is my personal agenda with exchange (email works). when I add a appointment with outlook 2010 I dont see it on my mobile and not in OWA. When I add a appointment in OWA I get a reminder from the appointment in outlook 2010 but I don't see it in Outlook 2010. What is the problem here, or is there a update fix for this ?? regards marc Is this the Beta of Office 2010? And What Exchange are you running? Russ -- R...

Creating an expression to pull a particular record
I have a form which contains milestones and I have a separate table for progress notes. I would like for the user to be able to select the milestone for review and than on that same form select a command button to pull up the corresponding progress note. Currently, I have a query attached to the command buttom and it requests the parameter value but I was trying to find another way to do this same action without the request for a parameter value. ...

Outlook or Outlook Express e mail
Does anyone know of a way to have Outlook or Outlook Express "automatically" respond to a message? For example, if a person goes on vacation is there a way to have Outlook or Outlook Express automatically respond with a message indicating that the person receiving the message is on vacation for an extended period? Thanks for anyone's help. In outlook, turn on the out of office assistant. It is under Tools menu. You can type a message and sender will get auto reply with the message that you have typed. >-----Original Message----- >Does anyone know of a way to h...

How to use Outlook express
hi, is it possible to set up outlook exp. but not allow it to be the default mail client? i'd like to 'check' the link on a page that says: 'contact' and have that email address come up in outlook exp., then copy/paste the address to my own AT&T mail service but not use outlook express for anything else. as of now, i have outlook exp. disconnected altogether and do not wish to use it other than to open up a link. all responses on this are welcome......... thanx, jim Dear, This is an Outlook News group not Outlook Express - since you asked , here is the info for th...

Changing Server on a Microsoft Query
I have a query in a spreadsheet. It is pointing at a server and SQL database. How do I change the location of the server? The query is not saved anywhere, it is only embedded in the sheet. Changing the ODBC I originally selected in Control Panel makes no difference. Where is it storing the connection information??? Thanks. G ...

Exchange mail domains on seperate servers...
Hi all, I have a question to pose to you... I have a client who is splitting up, but both parties would like to keep their email addresses. The current email addresses/domain are hosted on an Exchange 2000 box at the main office. I have set up a SBS 2003 server at the new office where 7 of the employees have moved to. All users need to use the email address name@feadvisory.com I have created Active Directory contacts on the original Win2000 domain hosted at the old site. The contacts contain their new email addresses (name@golidco.com). golidco.com is hosted on the SBS2003 server. After th...

Issue uploading calendar to server
Hello all, Starting the beginning of this week, my calendar will not upload to the server and update to everyone who views it. Everytime I try, it states the upload failed, will send on next send/recieve, there was a problem uploading the file to the server. I am trying to find out if you think it is an issue with our server, Microsoft's server, or if I could just be doing something wrong. Never had an issue before. Oh, by the way, I am running Outlook 07. Thanks for any help. It's been down for almost a week now. "PNJSmith" wrote: > Hello all, ...

Version change for an Active Document server
Hi, I have an application which can act as an Active Document Server - i.e. you can copy an object from the application and paste it into PowerPoint. The object apperas as a rectangle with some text - and if you double click on it in the PowerPoint slide, (and if you have my application installed), a form opens up that provides more information about the object & even edit it. This is a SDI application where the document is derived from COleDocument & I have a ServerItem derived object as well. I override the Serialize method, which allows the PowerPoint document to store all the in...

SQL server 2008 64 bit
Hi, Does anyone know the diff between SQL2008 32 bit adn 64 bit. What kind of situation the we need to have WIN 64 bit + sql server 64 bit? Thanks, Mecn (mecn@yahoo.com) writes: > Does anyone know the diff between SQL2008 32 bit adn 64 bit. > What kind of situation the we need to have WIN 64 bit + sql server 64 bit? The difference is that with 64-bit SQL Server works against a completely uniform memory space. With 32-bit, there is a lot of special magic going on. As long as your instance only need to access 1.7 GB of memory, there is not really any issue. But m...

outlook express password #4
Outlook express asks for password every time i open it even though i have the save pass word checked what can i do?/ This involves a regsitry key being deleted, search the online database for password not retained "Colleen Campbell" <cc@pei.aibn.com> wrote in message news:2c0c01c3fcb0$01afadc0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Outlook express asks for password every time i open it > even though i have the save pass word checked what can i > do?/ Hi, Please post in an Outlook Express Group. Hope this helps !!! With Regards, Sudharson.AN "Colleen Campbell" &l...

Exchange server reports no account at recipient when Outlook Express is able to deliver through regular POP3 connection
I run Exchange Server 2003 with Outlook AND Outlook Express configured to work with my various POP3 accounts. If i send email to address xyz@abc.com from the Outlook / Exchange setup I get xyz@abc.com on 01/13/05 6:44 AM The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address. <abc.com #5.1.1> Cutting and pasting the email address from Outlook into Outlook Express and sending the message, it gets right through. Using another email address worked just fine in outlo...

SBS2003
Hello, I want to setup a CRM pilot for my organization. We have an extra SBS 2003 Premium license that I can use. We already have a domain controller setup on another server. Can I just install SBS 2003, CRM SB, and SQL on the test server and use the current AD domain that is on the other server? Thanks, Kevin SBS by design is a single domain environment. Your best bet is to create a second totally independant environment for testing and demonstration. If you make customizations you can export them to file and then import them into the production environment once it is setup ...

outlook express history
I've gone through Tools: Internet Options and have cleared the history, deleted files, and deleted cookies. Does anybody know why the history still appears after doing all of this? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.ine...

Conditional Expression
Hello, On a method I have the following: if (slide == null) return File("~/resources/image/defaultslide.jpg", "image/jpg"); else return File(slide.Image, "image/jpg"); But if I use: return slide == null ? File("~/resources/image/defaultslide.jpg", "image/jpg") : File(slide.Image, "image/jpg"); I get the error: Type of conditional expression cannot be determined because there is no implicit conversion between 'System.Web.Mvc.FilePathResult' and 'System.Web.Mvc.FileContentResult' ...

Outlook Express 6 #52
I have a question using oe6. When I want to block a sender, I go to message/ block sender. But, when I go to Tools/Message Rules/ Blocked Senders List-It only shows the most current sender address I blocked. What if I want to start receiving email from a sender I had blocked. Where do I find the list of ALL blocked sender addresses? Thank you This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this...

Exch2003 SP1
Should this SP1 be installed on SBS2003 or is it already installed? On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:48:04 GMT, J B wrote: > Should this SP1 be installed on SBS2003 or is it already installed? It's not already installed and the decision is yours, just be aware there are a few issues when applying the Exchange 2003 SP1 on SBS 2003: More on Exchange SP1 and SBS 2003: http://blogs.msdn.com/canthe/archive/2004/06/09/152279.aspx Smallbizserver.Net > SBS 2003 > Service packs & patches > Exchange 2003: http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=141 EXCHANGE 2k3 SP1: http://...

Disable SQL Server version check?
I am looking for settings that I could use to create new companies on a test box that I am running Yukon (SQL Server 2005). The problem is that the utilities check the version of SQL installed before continuing. I have done a lot of testing with upgraded databases and they work fine but every time I try to create a new company I get: The stored procedure verifyServerVersion() of form duSQLInstall : 111 : Pass Through SQL returned the following results : DBMS: 0, Great Plains: 0 GP 8 (or prior) do not support SQL 2005. Service pack 4 for GP 8 will support SQL 2005. "Thomas R....

SBS2003 Exchange issue
When trying to connect to the mailboxes from Outlook 2003, I am getting strange errors such as "unable to conenct with exchange server". I went and checked on the properties of the new users and when I go to the "Properties" then the "Exchange Advanced" tab, then the "Mailbox Rights" I get: "The operation could not be completed because the store is not mounted" ID no: c1041732 Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension ----and----- When I try and connect to the OWA I get this: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable The weird thing is that ...

Outlook Express cannot send/receive emails
Dear All, I would like to ask Outlook Express experts out there about a certain problem I am having with my Outlook Express. 1) I am using Windows 2000 pro + Win XP 2) I am using Outlook Express for my email client I have a particular problem where my outlook express will suddently not be able to receive or send emails. It will complain some unknown socket error. To solve this problem, I will delete the inbox.dbx and launch outlook express to let it re create a new inbox.dbx file. This seems to solve this problem. 1 thing I noticed is that the inbox.dbx is always about 2gig in size. Coul...

Terminal Server Hardware
I am looking for specific hardware configuration for setting up a Terminal server for approximately 35 users in MBS. RAM, Processor, etc. I haven't been able to find anything specifin in Customersource. thanks! -- Doug Hi Do you want the users to use Office as well on the TS server? What modules are you using for Great Plains ? You may be better off with Citrix using 2 smaller servers in a server farm (for application and performance load balancing). -- Regards James[MVP] Visit MBS Blog Central http://mbscentral.blogs.com "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.co...

Outllook express
send & receive has disappeared from tool bar, cannot send & receive from my Outlook "Meg" <Meg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2ADF024-5A70-4C7B-9D38-3B45192077BC@microsoft.com... > send & receive has disappeared from tool bar, cannot send & receive from > my > Outlook This is a group for Outlook, Outlook Express is a different program and has its own newsgroups. Try those newsgroups- Good Luck. Send/receive will appear when you properly set up your accts. Ask your ISP how. "Meg" wrote: > send & receive ha...