SBS 2008 std and Sql Server 2008 std question

SBS2008 came with Windows Server std 2008 and Sql Server std 2008.
I installed SBS2008.
I installed Windows Server 2008.
I joined Windows Server 2008 to the SBS 2008 domain with a regular user 
account (I had to make a regular user account in SBS2008 so that when I 
joined the Windows Server 2008 to it, I would be able to install SQL Server 
2008)
I then installed SQL Server 2008.
My question is this. Do I have to continue to login on Windows Server 2008 
as a regular user or can I login to it as the administrator? If I do, will 
that affect my domain connection to SBS2008? Also, will my SQL Server 2008 
run correctly if I login as an administrator instead of the regular user?
Please advise and thanks. 


0
john
6/9/2010 2:42:03 PM
windows.server.sbs 1975 articles. 0 followers. Follow

5 Replies
762 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 23

"regular users" don't have the appropriate permissions to join machines to 
the domain by default. So this is very likely a domain admin account.  It 
just isn't *named* "Administrator" which is normal in 2008 (and Vista and 
Win7.) The default Administrator account is disabled (Since it is a popular 
attack vector) and one (or more) domain admin accounts are created for each 
user that needs Admin privs.  You can rename that account to something with 
"admin" or similar at the end so you can distinguish it from a limited user 
account.

You can then create yourself a limited user account via the SBS console.

Will logging in with your new shiny limited-user account affect your domain 
connection? No.

Will SQL Server run correctly? Yes. It runs as a service which means how 
*you* log in doesn't matter. Background servies can run as a different user 
than the logged-in user (and do). This is a basic feature of the Windows NT 
line (3.51, 4, 2000, XP, 2003, 2003 R2, Vista, 2008, windows 7, 2008 R2, 
etc.)

If you aren't comfortable with how permissions work in windows, I recommend 
picking up a quick book to learn this stuff.  Maybe something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-2008-Administrators-Consultant/dp/0735627118/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276103841&sr=8-3


-- 
Cliff Galiher
Microsoft has opened the Small Business Server forum on Technet!  Check it 
out! 
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/smallbusinessserver/threads
Addicted to newsgroups?  Read about the NNTP Bridge for MS Forums.

"john doe" <johndoe@johndoe.com> wrote in message 
news:eacFsH#BLHA.1888@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> SBS2008 came with Windows Server std 2008 and Sql Server std 2008.
> I installed SBS2008.
> I installed Windows Server 2008.
> I joined Windows Server 2008 to the SBS 2008 domain with a regular user 
> account (I had to make a regular user account in SBS2008 so that when I 
> joined the Windows Server 2008 to it, I would be able to install SQL 
> Server 2008)
> I then installed SQL Server 2008.
> My question is this. Do I have to continue to login on Windows Server 2008 
> as a regular user or can I login to it as the administrator? If I do, will 
> that affect my domain connection to SBS2008? Also, will my SQL Server 2008 
> run correctly if I login as an administrator instead of the regular user?
> Please advise and thanks.
> 
0
Cliff
6/9/2010 5:17:51 PM
Hello John,

Thanks for your post and Cliff's clear input and suggestions.

So you are using SBS 2008 Premium edition, right? Just for your reference, if you plan to install SQL Server 2008 on the second server running Windows Server 2008 in Windows SBS 2008 Premium, do 
the following before you run the installation:

1. Log on as a domain administrator. If you fail to log on as a domain administrator, the installation is blocked.

2. Join the second server into the Windows SBS 2008 domain.

3. If the second server is not in the Windows SBS 2008 domain, the SQL Server 2008 installation is blocked. You can only install the included version of SQL Server 2008 on a Windows SBS 2008 
network.


4. It is recommended that you do not install SQL Server 2008 on a domain controller. If you must install SQL Server 2008 on a server that is a domain controller, you should promote the server as a 
domain controller prior to installing SQL Server 2008. Do not promote the server as a read-only domain controller. SQL Server 2008 is not supported on read-only domain controllers.

Note , If you do not promote the server before the installation, SQL Server encounters an access control list (ACL) issue. After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer 
from a domain controller to a domain member. You must uninstall SQL Server before you change the computer to a domain member. 

More information :
Using SQL Server in Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium Edition
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794697(WS.10).aspx

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition for Small Business
http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/small-business.aspx

Hope this helps.


Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
==================================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
==================================================================



0
v
6/11/2010 8:19:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. That helps.
""Robbin Meng [MSFT]"" <v-robmen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:KHVbe7TCLHA.2364@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl...
>
> Hello John,
>
> Thanks for your post and Cliff's clear input and suggestions.
>
> So you are using SBS 2008 Premium edition, right? Just for your reference, 
> if you plan to install SQL Server 2008 on the second server running 
> Windows Server 2008 in Windows SBS 2008 Premium, do
> the following before you run the installation:
>
> 1. Log on as a domain administrator. If you fail to log on as a domain 
> administrator, the installation is blocked.
>
> 2. Join the second server into the Windows SBS 2008 domain.
>
> 3. If the second server is not in the Windows SBS 2008 domain, the SQL 
> Server 2008 installation is blocked. You can only install the included 
> version of SQL Server 2008 on a Windows SBS 2008
> network.
>
>
> 4. It is recommended that you do not install SQL Server 2008 on a domain 
> controller. If you must install SQL Server 2008 on a server that is a 
> domain controller, you should promote the server as a
> domain controller prior to installing SQL Server 2008. Do not promote the 
> server as a read-only domain controller. SQL Server 2008 is not supported 
> on read-only domain controllers.
>
> Note , If you do not promote the server before the installation, SQL 
> Server encounters an access control list (ACL) issue. After SQL Server is 
> installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer
> from a domain controller to a domain member. You must uninstall SQL Server 
> before you change the computer to a domain member.
>
> More information :
> Using SQL Server in Windows Small Business Server 2008 Premium Edition
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794697(WS.10).aspx
>
> Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition for Small Business
> http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/small-business.aspx
>
> Hope this helps.
>
>
> Best regards,
> Robbin Meng(MSFT)
> Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support
> ==================================================================
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
> rights.
> ==================================================================
>
>
> 


0
john
6/11/2010 1:11:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. That helps.

"Cliff Galiher - MVP" <cgaliher@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:C69540FE-71C5-4C16-82A8-514A77C4440F@microsoft.com...
> "regular users" don't have the appropriate permissions to join machines to 
> the domain by default. So this is very likely a domain admin account.  It 
> just isn't *named* "Administrator" which is normal in 2008 (and Vista and 
> Win7.) The default Administrator account is disabled (Since it is a 
> popular attack vector) and one (or more) domain admin accounts are created 
> for each user that needs Admin privs.  You can rename that account to 
> something with "admin" or similar at the end so you can distinguish it 
> from a limited user account.
>
> You can then create yourself a limited user account via the SBS console.
>
> Will logging in with your new shiny limited-user account affect your 
> domain connection? No.
>
> Will SQL Server run correctly? Yes. It runs as a service which means how 
> *you* log in doesn't matter. Background servies can run as a different 
> user than the logged-in user (and do). This is a basic feature of the 
> Windows NT line (3.51, 4, 2000, XP, 2003, 2003 R2, Vista, 2008, windows 7, 
> 2008 R2, etc.)
>
> If you aren't comfortable with how permissions work in windows, I 
> recommend picking up a quick book to learn this stuff.  Maybe something 
> like this...
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-2008-Administrators-Consultant/dp/0735627118/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276103841&sr=8-3
>
>
> -- 
> Cliff Galiher
> Microsoft has opened the Small Business Server forum on Technet!  Check it 
> out! 
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/smallbusinessserver/threads
> Addicted to newsgroups?  Read about the NNTP Bridge for MS Forums.
>
> "john doe" <johndoe@johndoe.com> wrote in message 
> news:eacFsH#BLHA.1888@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> SBS2008 came with Windows Server std 2008 and Sql Server std 2008.
>> I installed SBS2008.
>> I installed Windows Server 2008.
>> I joined Windows Server 2008 to the SBS 2008 domain with a regular user 
>> account (I had to make a regular user account in SBS2008 so that when I 
>> joined the Windows Server 2008 to it, I would be able to install SQL 
>> Server 2008)
>> I then installed SQL Server 2008.
>> My question is this. Do I have to continue to login on Windows Server 
>> 2008 as a regular user or can I login to it as the administrator? If I 
>> do, will that affect my domain connection to SBS2008? Also, will my SQL 
>> Server 2008 run correctly if I login as an administrator instead of the 
>> regular user?
>> Please advise and thanks.
>> 


0
john
6/11/2010 1:11:40 PM
You are welcome John.

Please feel free to post back if you have any questions or if you need further assistance. Thanks!


Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support


0
v
6/14/2010 9:21:30 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

capture sql logins script
Hello everybody - For disaster recovery purposes we have a secondary gp server on standby. How can I set it up so that the 'caputure sql logins' script will run on my primary gp server and then save the results to the secondary backup gp server? What tool should I use and is there an automatic script I can use? You may approach this in few different ways - 1) Use PSTools to recreate users on the secondary server. This is a free tool and is part of the Professional Services Toools Library. 2) Export out users in a file and run this file using task scheduler and SQL command utility ...

SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration headache!
Hi folks, Hoping someone can help me :( After spending yesterday prepping the source server- running both SBS 2003 Best Practices Analyzer and Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (and resolving all issues until they both came back clean), full backup, Migration Prep Tool, answer file etc I was finally ready to get going with the destination server today. I was very thorough with the documentation, taking it all step by step. All looked well, until it seemed to hang on what looked to be a final step. I don't recall getting the replication delay pop-up that I've seen m...

Print Server
does Microsoft have a tool to copy printers from a print server to another server. I want to be able to use the 2d server as a backup server. "sowbug" <sowbug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6307D40A-CD8E-4B68-9F10-62E016FED2D9@microsoft.com... > does Microsoft have a tool to copy printers from a print server to another > server. I want to be able to use the 2d server as a backup server. Ask in a server or administration group. This group is for Visual Basic. ...

OWA setup on SBS 2003
Hi, I can't access OWA on an SBS 2003 server, for any user. Not sure what is stopping it - is it ISA settings? I've checked in Active Directory Users and Domains under the user and they are permitted to use OWA. Also tried to connect using Sever Activesync and a smart phone, but that failed too. Hope you can help. Neil Hi, Could be ISA server stopping OWA from functioning, could also be a lot of other things (like permisions on folders, web site etc). What happens when you try to access OWA? Leif "Neil G Jarman" <neil@tNOiSPAMvPLEASEy.co.uk> wrote in mes...

Remove Exchange Server from Exchange Organization
Are there any "special" steps I need to take to remove an exchange server from an exchange organization One of our sites is moving to another site and we no longer need the exchange server in the organization, i.e. administative groups, routing groups. Once the server is decomissioned, do I need to do anything within System Manager to remove this particular server Thank you Lyda Lyda wrote: > Are there any "special" steps I need to take to remove an exchange server from an exchange organization? > > One of our sites is moving to another site and we no longer ...

Tool available to install Exchange SP2 on SBS 2008
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ffd2fe61-9278-489e-9b96-3816394c9cb6&displayLang=en Works great. Note you need to download and extract Exchange SP2 before running the tool. -- Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/ I hope I'm not the only one who read your post? I'll just post now even though I read this the day you posted. Thanks for the much needed info, Kerry Russ :) -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] Microsoft Gold Certified Partner Microsoft Certifi...

new version for 2008-2009
I have Money 2006 and am perfectly happy with it but the stock updates will stop in September of 2008. I guess I have to upgrade. will there be a new version this summer? Only time will tell. I'm wondering if Money Plus wasn't called Money 2008 so they could break the annual cycle and not have the box label spoil the effect. "Don" <don@mytrashmail.com> wrote in message news:B7Sdndbr1ugVurrVnZ2dnUVZ_tXinZ2d@comcast.com... >I have Money 2006 and am perfectly happy with it but the stock updates will >stop in September of 2008. I guess I have to upgrade. will ...

I am unable to launch microsoft for mac 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Everytime I click on one of my icons to open this microsoft office setup assistant pop's up. Unlike the other users with this question i have tried following there instructions and register but the page wont load. I am a student and i depend on excel for school assignments and have been really annoyed with not being able to get this open. PLEASE help me. On 4/21/09 5:42 PM, "rachel_13@officeformac.com" <rachel_13@officeformac.com> wrote: > Everytime I click on one of my icons to open this micros...

Migrating AD Back to SBS
We had a domain which was working in a SBS2003 normally but since we had to change the hardware we added a second DC which is a windows 2008 and transferred all the roles to it, and let it working alone. Everything is fine now with the win2008 as a only Domain Controller We now have to reinstall back the SBS2003 and transfer everything to it from the win2008, is that possible? is there any how-to or best practices? As it seems that all i can do is start a new domain from scratch. Thanks, Chris There is an official MS document for adding SBS 2003 to a Server 2003 domain, but...

SQL
Hi ! I am trying to use MFC and CRecordSet class to manage a database. My database is on MSDE or Interbase servers. Some fiels are "auto incremented". This works well. My problem is " how to retreive the newly added record". How can I retreive the ID (or default fields) of my new record after a CRecordSet::Update( ) ? First I call CRecordSet::AddNew( ), then I specify all needed fields and then I call CRecordSet::Update( ). The contents of my record set after the Update method is always the content of the currently selected record before the AddNew call. I'd lik...

Change from SBS 2003 to SBS 2003 R2
Does anyone know if the license from Windows SBS 2003 works on R2 Edition? Here's my situation: I have an old server running Win SBS 2003. This is a new client and i just found the installation to be all screwed up (they are not even using Exchange, the domain is not .local, I cant find the SBS management panel, etc ) and barring any magic solution that allows me to improve on the current install, what i really want is to start from scratch, probably on different hardware (new server). So I whas thinking to my buttons: During reinstallation, can I now use the latest ver...

XMLNodeReader, stupid question ?
I want to loop all nodes of an xml file, because I want to search the content for a certain search pattern. I did something like this : reader = New XmlNodeReader(doc) While reader.Read() Select Case reader.NodeType Case XmlNodeType.Element Select Case reader.Name Case "al" Dim value As String value = reader.ReadInnerXml If regex.Match(value).Success Then Debug.WriteLine(value) End If End Select End Select End While Bu...

Cut and Paste from Dynamics GPV10 (on Terminal Server)
We are running Dynamics GP V10, on terminal server. All of a sudden we can't copy and paste data (like Inventory Item numbers) from within Dynamics to an excel spreadsheet OR screen shots from Dynamics on a terminal server to our local workstation. It might be since V10 upgrade, with V9 we could do this anytime we wanted has anyone else ran into this? -- Doug Doug, I have run in to this as well in GP 10.0, but without running on Terminal Server. I get an Invalid Access error. I can copy from an outside source (like Excel) and paste into a field though. I have also experienced...

SQL 2005 SSAS license
Hi. Is SSAS a part of SQL server 2005 license or we need to purchase it separately? Thanks, From http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/pricing-licensing-faq.aspx: <Excerpt> Q. Do I need a separate license to run the SQL Server tools and analysis services? A. No, a separate license is not required. However, any device that has SQL Server tools or technologies installed must have a valid SQL Server license. </Excerpt> -- Hope this helps. Dan Guzman SQL Server MVP http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/ "Mecn" <mecn@yahoo.com>...

vc MFC 2008 DocView MFCTableCtrl
in vc 2008 environment i create a project which is muti-docview,when i open some file,the file show in the client area ,and also there some table name on the client header,I can get the MFCTableCtrl by GetMdiTab() ,but all i want is that i want to replace the tabctrl with my own defined tabCtrl. how can i do this.thanks very much. forgive for my poor english ... ...

SBS 2003 VPN Frustration!
Hi all, I hope someone here can help. I saw a similar post that someone here was able to solve so I'm pinning my hopes on that. Let me try and provide as much information as possible. SIMPLIFIED I'm trying to setup the software VPN on the SBS so that remote users can be connected in to the server (so they can use local Outlook Exchange, can access the shared data folders on the main office server, etc). Testing this setup on our own system, I can connect into the server using VPN but cannot access anything on the network. DETAILED 1. I ran the "Configure...

Get pointer to parent of parent (2 levels back)
My application is dialog-based. The App creates a dialog. The dialog creates a property sheet. The property sheet creates 4 property pages. The dialog opens a file. I want the property pages to be able to write to the file. How can I get access back to that file pointer? I found m_pParentWnd in the Property Page. But, I can't go back like this m_pParentWnd->m_pParentWnd to get two levels back. I thought about passing the pointer to the CFile in via the contructors of the dialog, then to the sheet, then to the pages but I am not sure how to do that either. Any help is greatly app...

Reading XML direct from SQL
Hi, I'm not sure if this is possible, I can't see why, but is there a way round a problem I have. I'm returning the results from a stored procedure, of which there could be anything from 5 to 1000 records. The results have simply 3 columns (parent, level, name), although this could increase in time to show more information. I also have a treeview, of which I'd like to bind this data to, and I've read that I can use an XML that is bound to the treeview, and the treeview is geneerated from it. The trouble is, the documentation says that in order to bind the control to th...

Migrating SBS 2003 to SBS 2008
I really appreciate your inputs regarding my dilemma and made me think to change course with this migration and obtain private IP's for our network instead of the public ones. I will need now to figure out where and how to start changing our IP's! and what is involved. Hope after changing to private IP's, the migration will run without any glitches. I'm keeping me fingers and toes crossed. If you have any suggestion or links on how or where to start to enable me changing IP's from public to private; then PLEASE let me know. Thank you for everything guys...

Exchange server is running out drive space on C: drive
I inherited an Exchange 2003 server with 2 x 36Gb drives - partitioned 10Gb for C: drive and the rest for files ( these 2 drives are mirrored) 3 x 72Gb drives partitioned 135Gb with a 72Gb hot spare. (this is where my mail store is held.) What I need to know,is the safest way to change out the 36Gb drives for larger ones and not lose the partitioning structures excepting to increase the operating ystem drive C: to at least 30Gb. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. What is on the 10GB partition? "Net" <netwrkguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1147984760.153...

NT4 SBS to 2003 SBS
There's an old NT4 SBS server in place with Exchange 5.5, 10 users. A new 2003 SBS server has arrived. What's the best way to move everything to the new and shut down the old? I tried to make a trust relationship, but you can't do that with SBS 2003!. Should I use Outlook to log on as a user, copy all data to a .pst from the old Exchange 5.5, then make new users and mailboxes on the new server and copy from the .pst to the new 2003 mailbox? Only 10 users, 700MB in total. Thanks Neal. ...

GP 9.0 on SQL 2008
MBS has said GP 10 is supported on SQL Server 2008. However there is no information on support for GP 9.0 on SQL 2008. Does anyone have any real-world experience running GP 9.0 on SQL 2008 in a production environment? Thanks, John Dynamics GP 9.0 is not supported on Microsoft SQL Server 2008. This is an excerpt from the System Requirements page. Database Requirements: MSDE 2000 SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Workgroup Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (64-bit) SP 4 Microsoft SQL Serve...

CTE question
I just started using CTEs and I thought that it was really just a restatement of a derived table: with MyCTE(x) as ( select x='hello' ) select x from MyCTE Could be rewritten as a derived table: select x from ( select x = 'hello' ) a But then looking at this one: with MyCTE(x) as ( select top 10 x = id from sysobjects ) select x, maxx = (select max(x) from MyCTE), pct = 100.0 * x / (select sum(x) from MyCTE) from MyCTE I can't restate like so: select x, maxx = (select max(x) from MyCTE), pct = 100.0 * x / (select...

SQL
Hi, i am new in Sql express i am trying to create a database in sql but i dont now how can i install the database in other computer or a server programmatically where the other computer have the sql and if is a server what i nead to do . or only what i need is a valid conection ; i use the localhots to identify any clinte machine but i dont now what i need to writh for the servers my conection is look like this as a defualt from MFC hr = _db.OpenFromInitializationString(L"Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=Data.mdf;Data Sour...

SBS 2008 + terminal services.
Hi there, A customer of mine is asking for file-server & Exchange services that would be well served by SBS 2008. They currently use VNC quite regularly (to work from home, foreign work- related trips), and the impression I get is that an SBS domain would pretty much involve switching to Remote Web Workplace. I'm not sure if this is essential, but it seems like it would make more sense to have remote desktopping managed by the domain controller, rather than on an ad-hoc basis. I understand why the version of Terminal Services to accommodate end-users isn't ava...