SBS 2008 keeps losing default gateway

Strangely enough "route print" shows a default route, but the default
gateway is missing in the network connection properties, and I have to
manually reenter it to restore Internet connectivity. Anyone got any
ideas what's up?

Possibly related is that the Internet router actually tries to proxy ARP
for all IP addresses, which rather confused the configuration wizard.
0
Neil

If it happens again, open regedit, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<GUID>\DefaultGateway

and double click the DefaultGateway value.

See if there is a blank line before the actual default gateway IP.

If so, it is most likely the issue in KB 973243.

973243	The default gateway is missing on a computer that is running Windows
Server 2008 or Windows Vista after the computer restarts if the default
gateway is set by using the Netsh command
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;973243

You can install that update to prevent it from happening in the future.

--
Chris Puckett

"Neil Rashbrook" <neil@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote in message
> Strangely enough "route print" shows a default route, but the default
> gateway is missing in the network connection properties, and I have to
> manually reenter it to restore Internet connectivity. Anyone got any ideas
> what's up?
>
> Possibly related is that the Internet router actually tries to proxy ARP
> for all IP addresses, which rather confused the configuration wizard.

0
Chris
4/6/2010 5:24:33 PM
Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:

> If it happens again, open regedit, navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<GUID>\DefaultGateway
>

> and double click the DefaultGateway value.
>
> See if there is a blank line before the actual default gateway IP.
>
> If so, it is most likely the issue in KB 973243.
>
> 973243    The default gateway is missing on a computer that is running
> Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista after the computer restarts if
> the default gateway is set by using the Netsh command
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;973243
>
> You can install that update to prevent it from happening in the future.

Thanks, this does indeed look like the problem. However the Microsoft
website only offers a Vista hotfix. As a workaround, can I simply
correct the default gateway setting in regedit?
0
Neil
4/7/2010 12:23:47 PM
Neil Rashbrook wrote:
> Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:
>
>> If it happens again, open regedit, navigate to
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<GUID>\DefaultGateway
>>

>> and double click the DefaultGateway value.
>>
>> See if there is a blank line before the actual default gateway IP.
>>
>> If so, it is most likely the issue in KB 973243.
>>
>> 973243    The default gateway is missing on a computer that is
>> running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista after the computer
>> restarts if the default gateway is set by using the Netsh command
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;973243
>>
>> You can install that update to prevent it from happening in the future.
>
> Thanks, this does indeed look like the problem. However the Microsoft
> website only offers a Vista hotfix. As a workaround, can I simply
> correct the default gateway setting in regedit?
Vista 64 = SBS 2008

It's the same code.  Install it.
0
Susan
4/7/2010 1:50:32 PM
As Susan said, it's the same codebase so even though the hotfix says Vista
it also applies to Windows 2008/SBS 2008.  You can still want to fix it
manually. The hotfix fixes netsh so that the default gateway will not be
written into the registry like that again.

By any chance did you change routers or change the nic from DHCP to a static
IP or static to DHCP?

--
Chris Puckett

"Susan Bradley" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Neil Rashbrook wrote:
>> Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:
>>
>>> If it happens again, open regedit, navigate to
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\<GUID>\DefaultGateway
>>>
>>> and double click the DefaultGateway value.
>>>
>>> See if there is a blank line before the actual default gateway IP.
>>>
>>> If so, it is most likely the issue in KB 973243.
>>>
>>> 973243    The default gateway is missing on a computer that is running
>>> Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista after the computer restarts if the
>>> default gateway is set by using the Netsh command
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;973243
>>>
>>> You can install that update to prevent it from happening in the future.
>>
>> Thanks, this does indeed look like the problem. However the Microsoft
>> website only offers a Vista hotfix. As a workaround, can I simply correct
>> the default gateway setting in regedit?
> Vista 64 = SBS 2008
>
> It's the same code.  Install it.

0
Chris
4/7/2010 2:43:59 PM
Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:

> As Susan said, it's the same codebase so even though the hotfix says
> Vista it also applies to Windows 2008/SBS 2008.  You can still want to
> fix it manually. The hotfix fixes netsh so that the default gateway
> will not be written into the registry like that again.

Thanks, I will install the hotfix next time I reboot the server.

> By any chance did you change routers or change the nic from DHCP to a
> static IP or static to DHCP?

The nic would have been DHCP to start with but I used the Connect to the
Internet wizard to change it to a static IP.
0
Neil
4/7/2010 4:44:59 PM
Okay, thanks.

--

> Chris Puckett [MSFT] wrote:
>
>> As Susan said, it's the same codebase so even though the hotfix says
>> Vista it also applies to Windows 2008/SBS 2008.  You can still want to
>> fix it manually. The hotfix fixes netsh so that the default gateway will
>> not be written into the registry like that again.
>
> Thanks, I will install the hotfix next time I reboot the server.
>
>> By any chance did you change routers or change the nic from DHCP to a
>> static IP or static to DHCP?
>
> The nic would have been DHCP to start with but I used the Connect to the
> Internet wizard to change it to a static IP.

0
Chris

Fishing for Ideas: Keeping Casual users out of the back end
Background: We have a small office with generally "non-savvy" users. I have a somewhat dis-organized jumble of front and back ends in a server share, and would like to establish a system for locating the various files. I'm thinking of leaving the back ends where they are, and moving all the deployment master copies of the front ends into folders under that same share (I'm now using Tony's Auto FE Updater*). Now, if one of the users navigates to the share to open the app (instead of using their local FE shortcut) they will find only BE mdbs and shortcuts ...

SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration headache!
Hi folks, Hoping someone can help me :( After spending yesterday prepping the source server- running both SBS 2003 Best Practices Analyzer and Exchange Best Practices Analyzer (and resolving all issues until they both came back clean), full backup, Migration Prep Tool, answer file etc I was finally ready to get going with the destination server today. I was very thorough with the documentation, taking it all step by step. All looked well, until it seemed to hang on what looked to be a final step. I don't recall getting the replication delay pop-up that I've seen m...

OWA setup on SBS 2003
Hi, I can't access OWA on an SBS 2003 server, for any user. Not sure what is stopping it - is it ISA settings? I've checked in Active Directory Users and Domains under the user and they are permitted to use OWA. Also tried to connect using Sever Activesync and a smart phone, but that failed too. Hope you can help. Neil Hi, Could be ISA server stopping OWA from functioning, could also be a lot of other things (like permisions on folders, web site etc). What happens when you try to access OWA? Leif "Neil G Jarman" <neil@tNOiSPAMvPLEASEy.co.uk> wrote in mes...

Tool available to install Exchange SP2 on SBS 2008
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ffd2fe61-9278-489e-9b96-3816394c9cb6&displayLang=en Works great. Note you need to download and extract Exchange SP2 before running the tool. -- Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/ I hope I'm not the only one who read your post? I'll just post now even though I read this the day you posted. Thanks for the much needed info, Kerry Russ :) -- Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] Microsoft Gold Certified Partner Microsoft Certifi...

new version for 2008-2009
I have Money 2006 and am perfectly happy with it but the stock updates will stop in September of 2008. I guess I have to upgrade. will there be a new version this summer? Only time will tell. I'm wondering if Money Plus wasn't called Money 2008 so they could break the annual cycle and not have the box label spoil the effect. "Don" <don@mytrashmail.com> wrote in message news:B7Sdndbr1ugVurrVnZ2dnUVZ_tXinZ2d@comcast.com... >I have Money 2006 and am perfectly happy with it but the stock updates will >stop in September of 2008. I guess I have to upgrade. will ...

I am unable to launch microsoft for mac 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Everytime I click on one of my icons to open this microsoft office setup assistant pop's up. Unlike the other users with this question i have tried following there instructions and register but the page wont load. I am a student and i depend on excel for school assignments and have been really annoyed with not being able to get this open. PLEASE help me. On 4/21/09 5:42 PM, "rachel_13@officeformac.com" <rachel_13@officeformac.com> wrote: > Everytime I click on one of my icons to open this micros...

Migrating AD Back to SBS
We had a domain which was working in a SBS2003 normally but since we had to change the hardware we added a second DC which is a windows 2008 and transferred all the roles to it, and let it working alone. Everything is fine now with the win2008 as a only Domain Controller We now have to reinstall back the SBS2003 and transfer everything to it from the win2008, is that possible? is there any how-to or best practices? As it seems that all i can do is start a new domain from scratch. Thanks, Chris There is an official MS document for adding SBS 2003 to a Server 2003 domain, but...

Problem with keeping lines together
In my file (Word 2007), I can normally keep lines together by checking the Window/Orphan control, Keep with next and Keep Lines together. At some point in my file, it quits working. I have bulleted items that normally would stay together and have the above items checked in the Line and Page Breaks tab of Paragraph. But later in the file it quits working event if I uncheck them and recheck them. Not sure what is cause this. Tom If you're trying to use "Keep lines together" to keep bullet points together, it won't work. KLT is for the lines in a sing...

Change from SBS 2003 to SBS 2003 R2
Does anyone know if the license from Windows SBS 2003 works on R2 Edition? Here's my situation: I have an old server running Win SBS 2003. This is a new client and i just found the installation to be all screwed up (they are not even using Exchange, the domain is not .local, I cant find the SBS management panel, etc ) and barring any magic solution that allows me to improve on the current install, what i really want is to start from scratch, probably on different hardware (new server). So I whas thinking to my buttons: During reinstallation, can I now use the latest ver...

Sending from default account on replying from other accounts?
Hi guys, I have a new email address that I have set as my default account (OL 07). When I send a new message, it automatically goes from this new email address. However, I am still receiving mail into my older accounts and when I reply to these I'd like to ensure they are also sent from my new email address. I've had a look at the various rules, but the only one that deals with replies is to reply using a template, and it just automatically sends a blank message without waiting for me to type anything. I'm not sure if this is possible, but it would be great if I could avoid havin...

onchange()-: keep original value after save instead of the new val
Hi, I write a Java Script in the OnChange() and when I save it without click on the field it doesn't want to save. I add the click() function at the end but it didn't change any thing. This is my code, did somebody see something wrong? Thanks var x = crmForm.salesstagecode.value;var y = "0";switch (x){case "01 - Not Qualified - 0%":y = "0";break;case "02 - Prospected but customer not yet engaged - 10%":y = "10";break;case "03 - Engaged but not yet proposed - 30%":y = "30";break;case "04 - Solution propos...

vc MFC 2008 DocView MFCTableCtrl
in vc 2008 environment i create a project which is muti-docview,when i open some file,the file show in the client area ,and also there some table name on the client header,I can get the MFCTableCtrl by GetMdiTab() ,but all i want is that i want to replace the tabctrl with my own defined tabCtrl. how can i do this.thanks very much. forgive for my poor english ... ...

Default Chart templates
How do I get Excel to automatically bring up a default chart template which contains all the features I want to have on every graph? -- e.g., I want a white background, circles for points (instead of squares), red for the default color of the circles, etc. etc. I can always change every chart AFTER it has been automatically created with the standard Excel defaults, but I would prefer Excel to do these things a priori, and save me the trouble of always having to do it. Ronald - Make a chart like that, with every feature you want, and without every feature you don't want. Select the cha...

SBS 2003 VPN Frustration!
Hi all, I hope someone here can help. I saw a similar post that someone here was able to solve so I'm pinning my hopes on that. Let me try and provide as much information as possible. SIMPLIFIED I'm trying to setup the software VPN on the SBS so that remote users can be connected in to the server (so they can use local Outlook Exchange, can access the shared data folders on the main office server, etc). Testing this setup on our own system, I can connect into the server using VPN but cannot access anything on the network. DETAILED 1. I ran the "Configure...

Font size default
How do I set the font size default to 9 instead of 8 like is now? Even if I select the entire project and set for 9 size font, when I add a new task the font size is 8! txs Silene Hi, Format Text Styles Item to Change All Select 9 That's it. -- Jan De Messemaeker Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional +32 495 300 620 For availability check: http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf "Silene" <sileneev@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:8D5B4244-1C0C-457A-B1CF-5C30D9C82044@microsoft.com... > How do I set the font size default to 9...

transactions keep downloading over...and over...and over
Ok, I've had a lot of problems other people have been talking about. I've finally got to a point where Money 2005 is working....sort of. I have a Washington Mutual Checking Account. Each day, it automatically downloads transactions and enters them into my register. Most are matched up with transactions I've entered. Only a few do I need to enter as new transactions. After I have matched and accepted the new transactions everything looks ok. However, the next time Money updates my checking account, it downloads the exact same transactions plus any new ones for the da...

Migrating SBS 2003 to SBS 2008
I really appreciate your inputs regarding my dilemma and made me think to change course with this migration and obtain private IP's for our network instead of the public ones. I will need now to figure out where and how to start changing our IP's! and what is involved. Hope after changing to private IP's, the migration will run without any glitches. I'm keeping me fingers and toes crossed. If you have any suggestion or links on how or where to start to enable me changing IP's from public to private; then PLEASE let me know. Thank you for everything guys...

GP 9.0 on SQL 2008
MBS has said GP 10 is supported on SQL Server 2008. However there is no information on support for GP 9.0 on SQL 2008. Does anyone have any real-world experience running GP 9.0 on SQL 2008 in a production environment? Thanks, John Dynamics GP 9.0 is not supported on Microsoft SQL Server 2008. This is an excerpt from the System Requirements page. Database Requirements: MSDE 2000 SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Workgroup Edition SP 4 Microsoft SQL Server 2000 (64-bit) SP 4 Microsoft SQL Serve...

NT4 SBS to 2003 SBS
There's an old NT4 SBS server in place with Exchange 5.5, 10 users. A new 2003 SBS server has arrived. What's the best way to move everything to the new and shut down the old? I tried to make a trust relationship, but you can't do that with SBS 2003!. Should I use Outlook to log on as a user, copy all data to a .pst from the old Exchange 5.5, then make new users and mailboxes on the new server and copy from the .pst to the new 2003 mailbox? Only 10 users, 700MB in total. Thanks Neal. ...

Opening file cause rows to lose
I am trying to open a file of 48215 row written in Excel 2003 but only 12121 appeared from 48215 when I am trying to save as Excel 95 format because of another application only reads Excel 95 fromat Thanks It's because Excel 95 does not have that many rows. You need to split them up on multiple sheets -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "happytoday" <ehabaziz2001@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e211cafe-30fe-45df-af70-864e67f00894@f63g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to open a file of 48215 row written in Excel 2003 but only > 12121 appeared from 48215 when I ...

Connecting to MS SQL Server 2008 Express
I am using a demo for RMS 2.0 and installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express. Using the Store Operations Administrator Configuration screen I am getting the following listed below when trying to connect. Any clues as to my problem would be greatly appreciated... Error #-2147217843 Login failed for user 'Mike' (Source: Microsoft OLE DB Providor for SQL Server) (SQL State: 42000) (NativeError: 18456) No Help file avaialbe You are tring to log into an SQL server with the SQL Authentication and the username Mike. This error would indicate the user Mike does not exist, does n...

Default font in charts
Is there any way to change the default font in charts? ie, I'd like every axis and title to be 16pt Times New Roman right off the bat. Thanks. Alex "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6096B69F-DCF5-4BB8-8158-433A4A416053@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to change the default font in charts? ie, I'd like every > axis and title to be 16pt Times New Roman right off the bat. Thanks. Set up a chart the way you want it to look. Right-click in its chart area and choose Chart Type. Click the Custom Types tab and hit the "set as default...

SBS 2008 + terminal services.
Hi there, A customer of mine is asking for file-server & Exchange services that would be well served by SBS 2008. They currently use VNC quite regularly (to work from home, foreign work- related trips), and the impression I get is that an SBS domain would pretty much involve switching to Remote Web Workplace. I'm not sure if this is essential, but it seems like it would make more sense to have remote desktopping managed by the domain controller, rather than on an ad-hoc basis. I understand why the version of Terminal Services to accommodate end-users isn't ava...

2008 Server Remote Apps
Is anyone using 2008 Server RemoteApps for Great Plains yet? I'm looking for some tips and tricks on getting GP10 working as a remote app on 2008 Server. I have GP loaded and have been testing it out with various users. What is the best way to give each RemoteApp user their own dex.ini? or Is there a way to blank out the "Last User" in the login screen? Also, when you export a smartlist to Excel, it spins up the Excel loaded on the server. Is there a way to re-direct that to the local Excel or at least have the save destination set to the users local drive instead of the ...

SQL 2008 and SRS
I am using SQL 2005 with CRM 4.0 on one box and have to move CRM and SQL to seperate boxes. The SQL box will have SQL 2008 Standard. The consultant who will be doing the SQL work reminded me to install SRS. Is SRS included with SQL 2008 Standard? Thanks, John SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) is part of 2008 Standard Edition. RLF "John" <bsmith@aol.com> wrote in message news:%23DpI1bfcKHA.808@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I am using SQL 2005 with CRM 4.0 on one box and have to move CRM and SQL to >seperate boxes. The SQL box will have SQL 2...